My dog keeps going to the bathroom inside, what should I do?

Jmac 2009/06/29 00:52:46
Recently, My dog has started peeing and pooping INSIDE the house!! We cannot figure out why, and she does it even when my mom is home. (I was thinking is was separation from my mother that did it but i guess not) I need help, especially since we are trying to sell our house. If you have any tips please share. Thanks ^^

• jan 2009/09/10 12:44:05
    jan
    +2
    Oh my god...have the people writing on this page ever even seen a dog behavior book or website??? YOU NEVER RUB A DOGS NOSE IN IT. What is wrong with you people??

• DianaHannah 2012/02/13 07:10:35 (edited)
    DianaHannah
    +1
    I'm a CPDT (certified professional dog trainer) and you do not want to ever get physical with your dog nor do you want to rub your dog's nose in it's elimination. This teaches your dog NOT to eliminate in front of you, in the house or outside. The dog with then sneak off and eliminate in private places, meaning you may find poop/pee under or behind things. Not a happy surprise. You are going to have to keep a closer eye on your dog. Keep it on a leash with you in the house and if you can't do that, keep the dog in the kennel. The walks need to be longer and more frequent and when the dog does eliminate outside, give lots of treats, praise and pets. positive reinforcement is so much more effective than negative punishment. Also, the cleaner Nature's Miracle is the only effective cleaner I have found. It is made without bleach/ammonia - there is ammonia in a dog's elimination, so when you clean with an ammonia based product, It will eliminate in the same place repeatedly.
  • Joe D 2011/10/18 20:15:11 (edited)
    Joe D
    +1
    I guess it is true you always have one moron in the crowd, the person holding the gun to the dogs head is the moron in this group and should be kicked out and not let back in. Even though he means it as a joke I HOPE
    God Bless
    Joe D
  • acacia 2009/10/12 02:27:44
    acacia
    i was recently given an old english bulldog with a abusive history, yhe first couple weeks we had her she was very skiddish and lethargic she has come around and seems to be really comfortable, she never went to the bathroom in my house always outside until two days ago,she went right in front of me and ever since then hasnt seemed to want to go outside she is walked every hour and im not going to the litter box thing with a bulldog. any suggestions
  • jan 2009/09/10 12:44:05
    jan
    +2
  • Jmac jan 2009/09/17 00:54:37
    Jmac
    idk. I need to ask Cesar Milan...
  • chaoskitty123 2009/07/10 03:22:32
    chaoskitty123
    Throw beer cans at him every time he looks like he's gonna do this ;P

A dog by nature does this in the yard wherever it pleases. It's in their nature to go as they please. However, dogs are also easily trained based on the dogs temperment. The last dog I trained I had to do something very mean... I rubbed it's nose in it and then smacked it with a rolled up newspaper if it ever looked like it was about to take a whiz on the rug so to say. I then carried it to a large litter box, sat it there and stood with it so any time it tried to step out it got smacked with the paper. Eventually the urge to use the bathroom was too much and it used the bathroom... that's where the praise came in and a treat. It finally got the idea and while I had to be mean to it, almost everything else failed and it was either be mean or put him outside where he'd likely be hit by a car.

You might also try mixing dirt with litter or just using dirt as dogs instinctively are more likely to want to do this. There are a number of reasons your dog would do this and I am assuming you are accustomed to it wanting to go outside being I didn't see mention of a litterbox.It could be some experience outside has made it afraid or your dog could be suffering depression which would mean either train it to use a litterbox...''''

You might also try mixing dirt with litter or just using dirt as dogs instinctively are more likely to want to do this. There are a number of reasons your dog would do this and I am assuming you are accustomed to it wanting to go outside being I didn't see mention of a litterbox.It could be some experience outside has made it afraid or your dog could be suffering depression which would mean either train it to use a litterbox being it's not telling you it want's out or pin it up outside. Often a dog gets depressed if it's lonely for another dog or just has lost interest in things because it's not free to roam around outside as much.

Can only guess but it does sound like depression.
  • Jmac chaoski... 2009/07/10 15:15:13
    Jmac
    idk We think she's angry at my mom for working all day lol. She stopped mostly when my mom stopped working! She's a 7.5 year old Bichon Frise, they are known to be hard to potty train but we did well until recently >.<
  • Mrs. V 2009/06/29 04:04:08
    Mrs. V
    +1
    If she is a puppy, she can be retrained. If she is older, she may have an incontinence problem. I would ask a vet. Or do an internet search.
  • Jmac Mrs. V 2009/06/29 19:50:17
    Jmac
    my dog is 7.5 human years old >.< dog 7 5 human years she looks a lot like this ^^
  • SoulGlowActivatur 2009/06/29 01:39:35 (edited)
    SoulGlowActivatur
    Ok what we did was we trained our dogs with a bell and hit his paw on it and tell him good and praise him then he will learn when he has to go to the bathroom he will ring the bell. My dogs.. bell hit paw hm praise learn bathroom ring bell dogs bell hit paw hm praise learn bathroom ring bell dogs bell hit paw hm praise learn bathroom ring bell dogs bell hit paw hm praise learn bathroom ring bell dogs bell hit paw hm praise learn bathroom ring bell dogs bell hit paw hm praise learn bathroom ring bell dogs bell hit paw hm praise learn bathroom ring bell dogs
  • Cappy 2009/06/29 01:12:55
    Cappy
    Block off the kitchen area and keep the dog there until trained. Easier to clean, disinfect, and no carpet gets stained for viewing. Then use the suggestion about tapping and saying no when you rub the nose in it. A week should do it. Also, give treats every single time the dog goes outside and NOT inside. That is the way to do it unless you need to use a kennel. Then you will have to do this all over again when the dog gets out.
  • Sarah Films the Clouds 2009/06/29 01:06:02
    Sarah Films the Clouds
    Walk her more often
  • ClamAttack 2009/06/29 01:04:49
    ClamAttack
    shoot it. shoot
  • Jmac ClamAttack 2009/06/29 19:48:34
    Jmac
    never!! u mean!! i love my dog!
  • Carola Is Comfortably Confu... 2009/06/29 01:04:32
    Carola Is Comfortably Confused :D
    Keep him outside maybe...
  • jenica 2009/06/29 00:59:21
    jenica
    ha rub his nose in it and spank his but litely then tell him outside and eventually he will learn that word
  • Trav 2009/06/29 00:54:22
    Trav
    train him to use the toilet! train toilet
  • Jmac Trav 2009/06/29 19:48:56
    Jmac
    i wish. that would be nice!

2014/10/26 03:44:33