My boyfriend just feels like my best friend now, what do i do?

Nicole 2009/04/29 01:39:22
Me and my boyfriend have been together for a few years now, but lately i feel less of an attraction but feel like hes my best friend now I would still do anything for him and love him more than life itself, but i feel like our feelings aren't mutual, he loves me as a girlfriend i think i just love him as a bestfriend but im not sure. I dont want him out of my life though. i thought about it and wouldnt feel jealous if i saw him on a date with another girl. What should i do?!?!

• RadicalChild 2012/10/02 05:10:35
    Stay with him, your feelings might change
    RadicalChild
    I agree with Jeff. Your boyfriend should feel like your best friend! Once you are in a relationship for a while, the initial chemical attraction/lust etc can wear off. You are in a stage in your relationship where you can be content and comfortable if you choose to be. You can also use that friendship to build a stronger bond. As for the lack of jealousy thing, I would not take that as a negative thing. Be lucky you do not get jealous like most girls do!
  • Emma louise Mcgurk 2012/05/28 15:32:57
    Break up with him
    Emma louise Mcgurk
    i feel like me and my bf are just friends not bf and gf its weird
  • chelle1893 2009/11/21 16:23:07
    chelle1893
    Join the discussion! Leave a comment.
  • chelle1893 chelle1893 2009/11/21 16:27:38
    chelle1893
    my boyfriend and i have been together for almost a year now and as bestfriends we get closer and closer everyday. best thing to do is stay together to see if they change.
  • Season_Change 2009/04/29 17:02:22
    Break up with him
    Season_Change
    +2
    I won't say "try and stay friends" because honestly that's the choice of the other to make. It'd be terrible to ask that of them.

Speaking as one who's been the broken heart, staying with him while not feeling attracted to him that way anymore is like lying to him. You should tell him the truth and break it off.
  • Leopluradon [Not-So... 2009/04/29 02:24:33
    Leopluradon         [Not-So-Sweet16♥]
    If you break up, never expect to be friends... It'll tear your heart in half, I learnt the hard way :)

Feelings may change, perhaps you just need a conversation with him and compromise. Don't make any rash decisions too early, you'll really regret it later...
  • Heart Broke Boi 2009/04/29 02:04:52
    Break up but try to stay friends
    Heart Broke Boi
    I say tell him the truth.... If he loves you, he'd want you to be happy
  • becky 2009/04/29 01:56:16
    Break up but try to stay friends
    becky
    You need to be happy and even though it will hurt him, you can't keep pretending for his sake.

The best you can do is be honest and let him know how you feel before things get crazy.

Talk to him about it, see what he thinks, tell him how you feel and go for a compromise from there.

good luck! :)
  • Illjwamh 2009/04/29 01:52:44
    Illjwamh
    This poll choice isn't my actual answer, but there weren't really any that were close enough to what I'd say.

It sounds like you're not physically attracted to him anymore. Is that right? Our society puts too much emphasis on physical attraction. The feelings you say you feel are much deeper than any physical or even romantic relationship could ever be. Your feelings for him have evolved. To the next level, so to speak.

I'm not saying physical attraction is entirely unnecessary, but oftentimes we find a person attractive because of other things we like about them.

What gets me thinking the most is how you say you wouldn't be jealous if you saw him with another girl. That suggests you no longer have romantic feelings for him. Like physical attraction, romance is one of the more superficial aspects of a loving relationship, but there has to be at least some present. If you have absolutely no romantic feelings at all, it might be best to break up for a while and remain good friends. You might discover later on that you really do want to be together after all.

And of course it's really hard to say what we would do in a hypothetical situation. You might say you'd be okay with seeing him with another girl, but if you ever actually saw him with one you might feel differently.

Of cou...''

Of course, I don't know you at all and you've given a very brief summary of your situation, so my advice here is very general. Take it with a grain of salt.
  • ubiquitous_tergiversation 2009/04/29 01:51:34
    Break up but try to stay friends
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    If you aren't attracted to him romantically or physically anymore it seems the logical thing to do. If you are still attracted to him just not as much maybe you should ask him how he would feel about an open relationship?
  • begger 2009/04/29 01:46:09
    begger
    ok how far have yall gone physicly?
  • JUKE_BOX 2009/04/29 01:45:31
    JUKE_BOX
    okay you dont want to make a mistake you will regret later so write a break up letter saying everything you feel keep it for a week and if you still feel the same give it to him or tell him how you feel
  • Jeff 2009/04/29 01:43:34
    Jeff
    +1
    You're supposed to feel like your boyfriend is your best friend. That's the foundation of a good relationship. You say you still love him, and all that so I don't see the problem.

2014/07/25 03:35:13