My 2 year old has the 24 hour flu... can't stop throwing up....

riverbeauty™ 2009/03/16 18:32:52
I know what to do in THIS situation, with MY son... What do you do when YOUR kids get sick?

• YesWeCAn 2009/03/16 20:20:36
    I do this....
    YesWeCAn
    +3
    24 hour flu...lots of fluids....LOTS of fluids, monitor their output though because you don't want to shut down those tiny kidneys.
    With non stop vomiting you also must introduce electrolytes back into the system...easy now-a-days with pedialyte in juice and they even make them into popsicles. To young for popsicles, try those mesh bag teethers that let you put stuff into them so it doesn't break off and cause choking. They can suck the ice or juice ice from the mesh bag--sucking is calming, ice is soothing to the heat of the flu.
    Stay away from dairy, soy, orange type drinks--think "clear" when it comes to liquids--water, apple, white grape, pedialyte, chicken boullion--you get the picture.
    Don't worry about them eating, they will not starve. Hacking up big chunks of stuff is miserable enough for adults. Clear liquids give the stomach something to vomit, but easy on the childs esophagus, nose, and overall ability to puke.
    Use tylenol or other fever reducers sparingly! But don't be afraid to use them when needed. You are an intelligent parent, trust your judgment and back it up with a thermometer.
    Keep track of temps, meds and fluids(both those going in and those coming out!)-- in case you need to go to the doctor--this information is invaluable to them and you won't remember it so write it down each time.
    Hold them when they need it, wash them tenderly, let them sleep. Good luck, and know it will pass quickly.

• Linkums 2009/03/24 02:51:00
    comment
    Linkums
    24 hour you say...? He could survive alone in a box for 24 hours. :D
  • riverbe... Linkums 2009/03/24 02:55:58
    riverbeauty™
    it actually lasted 3 days... the symptoms just most looked like the 24 hour flu...
  • Linkums riverbe... 2009/03/24 02:56:42
    Linkums
    Darn. *snaps fingers*
  • riverbe... Linkums 2009/03/24 02:58:36
    riverbeauty™
    yeah so much for neglect... dang it...
  • marisa 2009/03/20 02:53:14
    I do this....
    marisa
    I'd take him in to see a doctor. The doctor will give the best advice
  • tierney 2009/03/17 04:32:23
    I do this....
    tierney
    +1
    Chain them to the toilet with a water bottle by their side. :p
  • Lee The Hybrid Snowflake 2009/03/16 23:22:31
    I think...
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +1
    There is nothing worse than the vomiting because there isn't a whole lot you can do. Try to keep up with fluids and be near by. I bet you're doing a great job, you're mommy instincts are probably right on!
  • riverbe... Lee The... 2009/03/16 23:31:15
    riverbeauty™
    +1
    thanks
  • The Beaver 2009/03/16 22:47:25
    I do this....
    The Beaver
    +1
    Lots of Gatorade, Tylenol for the body aches and Cola Syrup to stop the vomiting (it really works). lots gatorade tylenol body aches cola syrup vomiting works
  • JivinGene 2009/03/16 22:33:27
    I do this....
    JivinGene
    +1
    get them a bucket.. and keep fluids beside them...
  • small girl 2009/03/16 22:29:45
    comment
    small girl
    +1
    I don't have kids.. but I'm nanny.. when she gets sick .. I just do whatever she wants.. I try to get her to drink lots of fluids..
  • aherbert 2009/03/16 22:28:01
    I do this....
    aherbert
    +1
    I have not had a two year old in a while but I would get the pedicare pops <== lots of fluids; tylenol <== fever and lots of love. Poor baby they do not like to eat much but like the pedicare pops :0).... another thing I did was feed them soups they like .... to encourage them to eat.... did I say lots of love???? and if the baby is not better in 24 hours perhpas seeing the doctor... good luck! parenting is not for whimps (smile).
  • YesWeCAn 2009/03/16 20:20:36
    I do this....
    YesWeCAn
    +3
  • riverbe... YesWeCAn 2009/03/16 21:53:19
    riverbeauty™
    great advice! thanks!
  • YesWeCAn riverbe... 2009/03/17 17:29:04
    YesWeCAn
    +1
    Hope things are better...It breaks a moms heart when kids are sick...kind of feel helpless, especially when they are so little.
  • riverbe... YesWeCAn 2009/03/18 01:55:36
    riverbeauty™
    actually, he is STARTING to feel better, but now I have it...
  • YesWeCAn riverbe... 2009/03/19 23:13:53
    YesWeCAn
    +1
    Well that is par for the course,lololol. The same idea applies for adults--including electrolytes, I think water like propel has them in their products. Hope you are feeling better and that the bug has a short life running it's cycle through your family.
  • aherbert YesWeCAn 2009/03/16 22:30:19
    aherbert
    rocking advice.... rocking advice
  • Deanna (Cindy) 2009/03/16 20:19:08
  • Moderated 2009/03/16 20:17:19
    I do this....
    Moderated
    +1
    Propel....much lighter and easier to keep down than water. Pedialyte Popsicle, too.

Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate!
  • Angel 2009/03/16 19:46:04
    comment
    Angel
    +2
    oh I'm sorry to hear that riverbeauty, make sure he gets fluid so he doesn't dehydrate, it seems a lot of germs have been going around lately
    comment hear riverbeauty fluid dehydrate germs
  • betz 2009/03/16 19:05:37
    I do this....
    betz
    +1
    Keep him warm if he gets chilly. Keep him cool if he seems warm. Ice chips always helped my children to remain hydrated. Just a lot of love from mom always helps too. Goodluck.
  • MOLLOY 2009/03/16 18:39:25
    comment
    MOLLOY
    Dear RiverBeauty, your 2 year old too young please take care to
    to the doctor.
  • riverbe... MOLLOY 2009/03/16 18:42:31
    riverbeauty™
    there is no vax for the 24 hour flu...
  • MOLLOY riverbe... 2009/03/16 18:48:27 (edited)
    MOLLOY
    Just take him to the hospital in emergency, they will take care of him. care hospital emergency care
  • riverbe... MOLLOY 2009/03/16 18:51:29
    riverbeauty™
    +4
    what can the ER do for my son that I can't? The 24 hour flu is a VIRUS... there is no treatment but keeping him hydrated and letting his healthy immune system work.
  • Tutboy 2009/03/16 18:35:16
  • riverbe... Tutboy 2009/03/16 18:36:31
    riverbeauty™
    +1
    how terrible!

2014/10/01 15:52:35