Most Americans Support Work For Welfare | The Weekly Standard: Do you?

Daryl 2012/09/21 20:27:00

WEEKLYSTANDARD.COM reports:

Mitt Romney may want to consider adding a few more lines about welfare reform—and Barack Obama’s gutting of the law’s work requirement—back into his stump speech. A new poll conducted by the National Republican Congressional Committee asked 1170 respondents two questions about welfare reform, and the results show most Americans overwhelmingly support maintaining work requirements and would be more likely to oppose a candidate who supports waiving those requirements.

mitt romney welfare welfare reform weekly standard read magazine online

Read More: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/most-americans...

• hasher 2012/09/27 01:25:34
    hasher
    of course doing a little work for the govt if youre getting a checkfrom them never hurt anybody they are only earning their keep.
  • lucky 2012/09/25 16:01:49
    lucky
    The working welfare people are the ones we should be helping, keeping up the bums is the part that annoys that hades out of me.
  • ajracestables1 2012/09/23 16:31:19
    ajracestables1
    I support ending welfare. No free rides. I support job placement and child care arrangements. That would be the only programs I support.
  • burningsnowman 2012/09/23 01:51:21
    burningsnowman
    It sounds okay in theory but as usual the details are what are important. What kind of jobs? What kind of wages? What kind of training? Is there even a point to that training? What exactly is going to be done about their kids? How much is being spent in terms of bureaucracy to manage these caseloads as opposed to you know, just calling it a day and writing people a check (as Milton Friedman pointed out)?
  • thefatguy 2012/09/22 15:22:15
    thefatguy
    +2
    Yes, but more accurately I support work without welfare. All government-sponsored/funded entitlement programs should be ended!
  • Angi 2012/09/22 15:19:43
    Angi
    If you force someone to work for welfare, that is forced labour. Also forcing people to work for less than the minimum wage is wrong. If someone has work then why not employ the unemployed in a proper job. Why is it the poor and unemployed need to be forced into work. If someone says because people want hand outs, no they don't. People want a living wage and want some self respect to earn a decent wage. Many people who receive welfare, do volunteering and that should be encouraged. Making people work for welfare seems to me in someway to say that being unemployed is looked at a criminal offense.
    Some people like to through things around about Hitler. Hitler enlisted the unemployed and forced them to work.
    People need money to find work and help to get into work, the more time they spend out of work the more despondent they get, people need jobs not blame.
  • thefatguy Angi 2012/09/22 15:25:24
    thefatguy
    It's not forced labor! If they don't want to work for their welfare money, they have other options - steal and then go to jail or starve.
  • Angi thefatguy 2012/09/26 19:14:21
    Angi
    Well a logical solution then. Your country gives money to other countries, it can do that but not its own citizens, seems weird.
  • thefatguy Angi 2012/09/26 19:39:49
    thefatguy
    I agree and therefore, I also oppose all foreign aid. No foreign aid. No welfare. No public assistance of any kind, whether to nations or citizens.
  • Angi thefatguy 2012/09/26 19:46:33
    Angi
    Humans do not generally operate like that, look at the Tsunami in Asia and major disasters people donate, the governments had to catch up with individual donations then. Seriously countries have been there, without welfare people would starve on the streets. I suppose with out aid the world would be less populated but what kind of world would we be living in if we just let others suffer.
  • thefatguy Angi 2012/09/26 19:52:56
    thefatguy
    I have nothing against private charity. If someone wants to give their own money to a charitable cause, they are free to do so. What I oppose is government stealing money from some to give to others. Stealing is wrong, regardless of the size and power of the thief or what the thief plans to do with the money.
  • Angi thefatguy 2012/09/26 20:03:46
    Angi
    Stealing? If you are so against aid and welfare why not get all the billionaires, millionaires, and companies to stop using every tax loop hole to get out of paying their taxes, you do that no need for austerity, no need for tax hikes.
  • thefatguy Angi 2012/09/26 21:07:35
    thefatguy
    Even if all the "billionaires, millionaires, and companies" were prevented from using legal tax "loop holes", it would still not cover the deficit and rampant overspending by the U.S. Federal Government. There would still be a need for austerity measures.

I don't have a problem with closing tax "loop holes" provided government spending is limited to the few legitimate powers granted to it by the Constitution. But, so long as the government keeps violating its authority then I support any type of tax evasion, whether "legal" or not. In fact, it is immoral to force citizens to subsidize (with our tax dollars) the loss of our freedoms and the expansion of the power of the State over our lives.
  • Angi thefatguy 2012/09/27 21:43:12
    Angi
    If all the companies in this world etc paid taxes properly there would be no need for austerity.
    For the super wealthy to pay less tax or the same as someone on a modest wage is wrong, surely fairness is not less freedom.
  • thefatguy Angi 2012/09/28 03:42:55
    thefatguy
    Fairness is oftentimes acquired at the expense of freedom - the freedom to spend or save one's legally acquired money as one chooses. Perhaps some choose to give to charity. Perhaps not but that is the price of freedom. Since you believe so strongly in fairness, why don't you pay someone else's electric bill and rent? Wouldn't that be fair? I'll send you mine.

No, of course it wouldn't be fair. Yet, you expect the "super wealthy" to pay other people's bills. Why is that? Why do you think you can sacrifice their freedom on the altar of fairness? Poor people overwhelmingly use social services but never pay for them because the poor don't pay income taxes. The wealthy rarely, if ever, use social services yet they pay for the majority of them.
  • Angi thefatguy 2012/09/28 12:20:10
    Angi
    What why resort to having a go at me, you disagree with my opinion, I can accept that. If you want me to pay your electricity bill you would probably have to spend a bit to get it here, in the UK.
    You seem to be missing the point the poor will use social services more and welfare, because they are poor. It is not the fault of the poor for being poor.
    Also how many people work and don't pay income tax because they don't earn enough to pay income tax. If you want them to pay tax, pay them more.
    Freedom and fairness are hand in hand, and I do not think that welfare is about less freedom of the wealthy. You seem to be saying the wealthy pay taxes and the poor don't, that just is not true. Also it is widely known that some wealthy people are paying so little tax the poor or people on modest incomes pay more taxes. That is not fair and it seems the wealthy are dictating to the not well off that they have to pay taxes while pay less. Why is it that the poor are poorer these day and the wealthest are richer. We are in a recession and it seems some are doing very well, while others are losing their jobs and being reprimanded for being poor by people like yourself.
    What kind of society would you have if people were starving on the streets or kids were begging for food and n...
    What kind of society would you have if people were starving on the streets or kids were begging for food and necessities. There was a time like that and it was wrong. A safety net is needed and there are so many reasons for why someone is poor, you sure you want to demonise everyone.
    Also the rights people have now were not just invented, people had to struggle and fight for them and some of those rights were born out of world wars. We need to move forward not regress to a time when the gap between the rich and poor was I can eat and you cannot.
  • thefatguy Angi 2012/09/28 15:47:56
    thefatguy
    I'm not having a go at you. I'm making a point that you wouldn't think it was fair if you were forced to pay my bills and you'd be right. But, it also isn't fair to expect the wealthy to pay bills for the poor.

There was so much wrong with the rest of what you said that it would take too much time to address. Suffice it to say that you believe in redistributing wealth from those who have it to those who don't, regardless of which side deserves it. People like you are envious of the wealthy and want to use the government to steal from those whom you envy and give it to those whom you pity. This is not fairness or freedom!
  • Angi thefatguy 2012/09/28 23:57:42
    Angi
    I guess it will be no surprise to you that I disagree with your comment. I pay taxes like the rest of people everyone pays taxes may be some pay more in than others, but I suppose if you want the tax I pay will go to someones healthcare bill, and I have no problem with that.

I am not envious of the wealthy far from it. I would like to be wealthy but sometimes wealth can be measured in more things than just money. There are a lot of miserable rich people. I do not want to worry about money, but unfortunately sometimes I have to.
    I see cuts in my country that are aimed at the least wealthy and the rich have had a tax cut, I don't see this as fair, and it has nothing to do with being jealous of anyone.
    Sometimes the wealthy almost live in their own world serparated from the least well off, in some way it is a form of self segregation you can go your whole life without ever having to speak to or meet a person from another social class, I am not jealous of that and I am certainly not jealous of individuals who prefer that. I think if you are going to govern a country and you are unfamiliar with some of your electorate or the needs of the people you govern that means you are out of touch and that is no way to run a country.
    I am not saying the rich have to be stripped of thei...

I am not saying the rich have to be stripped of their wealth or assets where is the sense in that, but why should someone on just a cleaner or shop assistant wage pay the same rate of tax of someone who is a millionaire. That is not right.
  • thefatguy Angi 2012/09/29 00:18:57
    thefatguy
    I can't speak for your country but 47% of Americans pay NO income tax! That's not right! Either everyone should pay taxes on their income or no one should. In fact, many actually get a "tax refund" check from the government even though they paid NOTHING in! I know this is true because back when I was living with my parents I worked a job as a house painter where I was paid in cash by my employer. I never had taxes taken out of my pay (as most people do here). I still filed my tax return expecting that I would finally have to pay taxes on the untaxed income I had made the year prior. To my surprise, because I made so little, I received a "tax credit"! How is it right that people are given a credit for something they never paid?! It is just giving away free money, except it wasn't truly free. It was stolen from those with better jobs who HAD PAID taxes! Talk about unfair! At the time, I had no clue about taxes or the economy and how things worked so I shrugged it off and cashed the check. Only later did I realize what was going on. This happens all the time. Wealth redistribution is theft!
  • Angi thefatguy 2012/09/29 00:26:10
    Angi
    Here you are allowed to earn so much before getting taxed. You need to be able to live. I do not know how your tax system operates in the U.S but surely you have to earn so much before you are taxed. Some people get a tax refund because they have paid too much tax.

But tax refunds are not welfare, and welfare is a safety net that is needed even more so at times like these. What is needed is growth to help people back into work, cut down the welfare bill and pay back the deficit.
  • knothead 2012/09/22 12:52:01
    knothead
    +1
    Why not? It gets them motivated hopefully. It has worke4d before so let it continue. Let them pay for part of their mailbox money.
  • Super l... knothead 2012/09/22 14:34:57
  • Super ludum 2012/09/22 12:45:09
  • Super l... Super l... 2012/09/22 12:49:21
  • Super l... Super l... 2012/09/22 14:12:16
  • Georgia50 Super l... 2012/09/22 14:16:54
    Georgia50
    Bully for Canada. In the US, the no. 1 health problem of children on welfare is obesity.
  • Super l... Georgia50 2012/09/22 14:25:51
  • Georgia50 Super l... 2012/09/22 14:52:12
    Georgia50
    +1
    You're right...I have no idea how much of the child supplement is traded away for alcohol, drugs, and lottery tickets, while the kid is stuffed with carbs and fast food resulting in obesity. Why don't you enlighten us?
  • Super l... Georgia50 2012/09/23 07:40:54
  • Georgia50 Super l... 2012/09/23 14:39:33 (edited)
    Georgia50
    So your problem is what the rich do with their own hard-earned money but you don't give a rat's ass what welfare tramps do with my money.

Duly noted.
  • Super l... Georgia50 2012/09/23 17:19:41
  • Georgia50 Super l... 2012/09/23 19:34:38
    Georgia50
    That's ok. Tomorrow morning and the morning after, I will still wake up self-reliant. And there's not a damn thing you can do about that.
  • Super l... Georgia50 2012/09/24 13:04:02
  • Georgia50 Super l... 2012/09/24 21:49:23
    Georgia50
    I did not make their decisions for them, ergo, ain't my fault. I note with interest fault goes in every direction EXCEPT in the direction of the welfare queens.
  • Super l... Georgia50 2012/09/25 01:30:11 (edited)
  • Georgia50 Super l... 2012/09/26 00:13:19
    Georgia50
    I know...my life is SO pathetic...what with being known by name at Starbucks and all. Oh well...as long as my EBT card works, I'm good.
  • Super l... Georgia50 2012/09/26 03:57:40
  • Georgia50 Super l... 2012/09/26 22:47:28
    Georgia50
    I'm not as grotesque as you imagine. Just tell me what dumpster you hang out near and I'll be sure to toss a scrap or two your way. I'll even leave some meat on the baby back ribs.
  • Super l... Georgia50 2012/09/27 03:55:06
  • Georgia50 Super l... 2012/09/27 21:35:29
    Georgia50
    Sure.

"911...what is your emergency?"

"There's this human online...Sodahead.com. She needs help really bad."

"Sir, is she injured?"

"It's hard to tell. Not getting normal neural responses. I think she has suffered emotional trauma."

"Can she walk or be transported?"

"I don't know...but she told me to get some help, so I called you."

"Ok...sending an ambulance now. Please stay on the phone..."

2014/04/19 12:08:46