Mormon Halloween Party Bans Cross-Dressing Costumes: OK or Outrageous?

An affiliate of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) in Sandy, Utah is facing criticism for banning cross-dressing at their recent trunk-or-treat Halloween party. Their policy meant than any girl who wanted to dress as Spiderman or any boy who wanted to dress as Lady Liberty was out of luck. They would not be allowed to don their costumes and collect candy in the church’s parking lot. The fliers advertising the party, which were circulated in the local neighborhood, also instructed guests not to wear masks.

The leader of the Crescent 16th Ward, LDS Bishop Dennis Toone, defended the restrictions saying that they were a matter of “church policy.” However, a little investigation has uncovered that while the prohibition of masks is a church policy for “security and safety reasons,” the church’s handbook does not say anything else about costumes.

"The flier does not represent church policy," said LDS Church spokesman Scott Trotter on Friday, in reference to the ban on gender-bending costumes.

Yet, Toone stands by the flier. "We thought it was a church policy," he said. "I’ll defend the church, and anybody who doesn’t like it doesn’t have to come."

Toone does have a point. Though the public was invited, the Halloween party was a private event and parents or children who didn’t like the policy did not have to attend. However, others argue that the costume restriction was mean-spirited and sent the message, to children in the community, that it is all right to discriminate against people based on their gender expression.

What do you think about the church’s restriction on cross-dressing costumes? OK or outrageous?

Read More: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/52804317-78/gend...

• Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2012/04/09 20:58:58 (edited)
    OK
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    We also ban masks, as masks were used by mobs who attacked the saints to rob, molest, and murder in times past.

How is not being outrageous outrageous?
  • ✞Knight of Honor 2012/03/06 21:03:43
    OK
    ✞Knight of Honor
    +1
    This is probably one of the few things I agree with Mormons on.
  • AHopefulAgnostic 2012/01/01 03:04:49
    Outrageous
    AHopefulAgnostic
    +1
    Mormons have Halloween parties?
  • katt 2011/12/18 19:40:39
    Outrageous
    katt
    i live here and didn't hear about this. it must have been kept hush hush. it sets a bad example for the kids because its halloween not a swingers party.
  • Little Lucy 2011/11/13 00:21:51
    Outrageous
    Little Lucy
    Well I love to wear girls clothes!
  • ruru 2011/11/06 04:09:11
    OK
    ruru
    It is a private party, they can do what they want to.
  • Fullmetal Alchemist Freak 2011/11/01 18:56:47
    Outrageous
    Fullmetal Alchemist Freak
    +1
    Hello? Halloween was made so people can threaten others and get free candy.
    We're supposed to dress in something ridiculous and (originally) scary.
    Now, if people want to cross-dress for HALLOWEEN, then let them.
    They have every right to.
    It's not right, sometimes people wanna be funny and outrageous.
    And the people who can't appreciate that have no imagination.
  • Leo 2011/11/01 15:41:06
    OK
    Leo
    As long as you can also have parties banning Mormons!
  • Rogue_Loner 2011/11/01 13:06:00
  • Pocahontas 2011/11/01 12:08:08
    OK
    Pocahontas
    it's their party.
  • Helmholtz 2011/11/01 01:50:28
    OK
    Helmholtz
    I. Don't. Care.
  • Queen B 2011/10/31 23:29:59
    OK
    Queen B
    Much ado about nothing. A complete non-issue.
  • Brian 2011/10/31 17:19:42
    OK
    Brian
    +1
    If you want to cross-dress, I'm sure there are better parties to go to.
  • FAM of the OMC 2011/10/31 15:37:30
    OK
    FAM of the OMC
    Honestly, I think they're wrong from jump street for even "celebrating" halloween. Same goes for any church. Its sort of like AA throwing a keg party.
    That being said, they can do what they like. Its still (mostly) a free country.
  • lm1b2 2011/10/31 15:34:04
    OK
    lm1b2
    +1
    I 'm not crazy about the Mormons,but I like their morals!
  • Bill 2011/10/31 15:04:48 (edited)
    OK
    Bill
    +1
    I don't agree with the Joe Smith and the magic plates but it's their business on what rules to make. It's just like ignorant fools that want the boy scouts to accept girls, or the girl scouts to accept boys. It's like the ignorant fools that want all men's clubs to accept women or all women's clubs to accept men.

Another thing is, why would anyone in their right mind, want to dress up as the opposite sex, in the first place.
  • Tigger Too 2011/10/31 14:46:52
  • Mel Martens 2011/10/31 14:42:52
    OK
    Mel Martens
    I used to be a Mormon, baptised at 18 but became inactive at about 22. This was a personal choice and not made because I disagreed with church policies, in fact I still keep in touch with them and have the missionaries over all the time to chitchat, cook for and they sometimes help me with the gardening and such.
    My choice to leave was about my loss of faith. Now again, this is a very personal thing and has nothing to do with the colour of eggs in winter under a pile of cow dung (in other words, not to be discussed).

I still respect them greatly years later due to their kindness to strangers, being generally constant with the ideals of living like Jesus, being tolerant (if sometimes disapproving, but they don't call gays evil or that they'll go to hell like other certain groups), hold the key the to largest genealogical records facility in the world, donate freely and store required items for the world Red Cross, encourage people to work on their strengths (which some call being gender biased, but when you're sitting amongst other women, learning how to look after children, getting guidance of making a house into a home, you learn that these things come more natural to US then to men. I preferred my strengths to get guidance once a week and then focus on my career and other ...

I still respect them greatly years later due to their kindness to strangers, being generally constant with the ideals of living like Jesus, being tolerant (if sometimes disapproving, but they don't call gays evil or that they'll go to hell like other certain groups), hold the key the to largest genealogical records facility in the world, donate freely and store required items for the world Red Cross, encourage people to work on their strengths (which some call being gender biased, but when you're sitting amongst other women, learning how to look after children, getting guidance of making a house into a home, you learn that these things come more natural to US then to men. I preferred my strengths to get guidance once a week and then focus on my career and other skills every other day. Let men freak out about looking after the family and being a husband and father...I wanted to learn how to be a MOTHER) and would knock on your door with a care package of donated food and such if you were going through hard times.

They have ground rules though and these are treated with respect. We wore skirts to mass/sacrament, the men wore ties and smart suits. We were not allowed in the Temple till we were Ordained and then it was a strictly private affair. No consumption of openly harmful chemicals that were normally considered socially acceptable, especially mind altering ones. Caffeine, alcohol, cigarettes - bad bad bad. Sex was a sacred thing, not to be considered a deal-maker for a successful marriage but to be the symbolic joining of 2 souls in everlasting LOVE, not lust or fun times, but love (now I don't miss this aspect. I live "in sin" now but have a gorgeous little boy and a very stable relationship to show for it). They read the Bible - mainly focussing on the teachings of Christ as they should, since Christianity is based on HIS words and not on the Old Testament which is essentially the Torah - more than most "bible bashers" I have come across and have a little Book of Mormon with extra things that works for their religion and compliments the Bible very very nicely, expanding on Christ's teachings and driving home the importance of love, family, fellowship and tolerance.

To the matter at hand, now I have said all this. A Ward (a church group in a single area) held a fun Halloween party for their members and anyone else who wished to show up. They laid down general rules for this particular party so everyone in general attendance would feel comfortable. No masks, no cross-dressing.

After all I have just typed, was it really out of spite and intolerance of differences in the way some people dress? Or was it them just not being politically correct and catering to everyone on the planet in case they hurt someone's feelings.

I'm a bisexual, agnostic spiritually minded Pastafarian and I tell those who hate others for stupid things like this, or hate ANYONE for what they do or are that you are small minded, insecure and very very little in the universe. You don't matter, and I pity you.
  • Bearish~PWCM~ 2011/10/31 14:28:50
    OK
    Bearish~PWCM~
    Their Party, Their Rules..

What would happen to a Muslim woman if she went to a Muslim gathering dressed as a man?

But people are upset about this?????
  • Yoru Azenia 2011/10/31 14:03:48
    OK
    Yoru Azenia
    Its okay to do this because its their thing there not asking me to show up so who cares. personnally I think cross gender costumes are hilarious but thats just me lol
  • Razzy Ratchets 2011/10/31 13:54:54
    OK
    Razzy Ratchets
    +1
    It is in keeping with their beliefs. Who am I to question it? I don't "get it", but I don't have to, do I?
  • Mtnsmith 2011/10/31 13:49:21
    OK
    Mtnsmith
    As I'm not a Mormon, it's none of my business.
  • Gandalf 2011/10/31 13:37:56
    Outrageous
    Gandalf
    "Religion is the opiate of the masses". It would have been better if they instead left religion at home.
  • Mel Mar... Gandalf 2011/10/31 13:58:38
    Mel Martens
    +1
    Which they did. It was in THEIR church grounds, so it's their rules.
  • ♌βļąƈʞƦơșƐ3033♌ 2011/10/31 13:36:14
  • kmay 2011/10/31 13:06:59
    OK
    kmay
    Private party. Get over it!
  • RosaG 2011/10/31 13:01:33
    OK
    RosaG
    I personally think it's ridiculous, but they are allowed to make their own rules if it's their party. I just wouldn't go to that party.
  • susan 2011/10/31 12:54:06
    OK
    susan
    It's their party and their religion. What about freedom of religion do you not understand. If you don't like it, don't go. (Why were you invited in the first place?)
  • KB 2011/10/31 12:04:49
    OK
    KB
    They're not harming anyone.
  • Someone Else 2011/10/31 11:54:46
    OK
    Someone Else
    Nobody even gave the Moron church even 5 minutes of recognition until Nitwit Romney decided to make a run for president. Next they're going to say there are no gay's in the Moron religion. Did I say Moron I'm sorry I meant Mormon. Did I call Mitt a nitwit my bad.
  • AnonRanGER 2011/10/31 10:39:38
    Outrageous
    AnonRanGER
    I wouldn't exactly use the term "outrageous", but to all those who wrote "Their party, their rules": If the flier said "NO BLACKS!", would you say the same? Their party, their rules, right? Totally okay, right?
  • Aes Sedai 2011/10/31 10:35:17
    Outrageous
    Aes Sedai
    Since what this question is really asking is "do you think cross dressing is okay? if so, what's your opinion on mormon (Christian) belief that it's wrong?"

My answer to that, is that Christianity is the second most narrow-minded religion in the world, and that Christians need to wake up to the diversity in the modern era. Since they never will, the Christian religion sucks.
    //flame shield on//
  • Resp Aes Sedai 2011/10/31 12:41:14
    Resp
    +1
    Cross dress if you'd like. Don't expect us to accept it.
  • Aes Sedai Resp 2011/10/31 19:09:04
    Aes Sedai
    Kcool
  • Mel Mar... Aes Sedai 2011/10/31 14:02:40
    Mel Martens
    Since the LDS are some of the most considerate, tolerant and helpful Christians around, I think we should cut them some slack. It's their party and they laid out rules that would be accepted by all members of the congregation (to be really honest, crossdressing isn't accepted by EVERYONE on the planet and not having masks means faces would at least be recognised in case anything went wrong, which things sometimes do at large public gatherings). By offering to have others join in, going by those rules would be dead simple.
  • Aes Sedai Mel Mar... 2011/10/31 19:11:34
    Aes Sedai
    I'm not saying that all Christians are total idiot-heads. There are quite a few good ones around. It's just that the congregation as a whole is pretty narrow-minded and stuck in the past. Plus the Mormons have there share of exclusive silly beliefs. At least that's the way I see it.
  • FAM of ... Aes Sedai 2011/10/31 15:34:43
    FAM of the OMC
    So what do you consider to be the first?
  • Aes Sedai FAM of ... 2011/10/31 19:09:41
    Aes Sedai
    Islam.
  • Resp Aes Sedai 2011/11/06 22:27:52
    Resp
    Now that is one intolerant stone-age religion.
  • Aes Sedai Resp 2011/11/07 18:59:54
    Aes Sedai
    Well the way I see it, all religions are stone-age. I think Islam is the most socially oppressive of them all though.

2014/11/26 03:10:35