Mormon Feminists Tout 'Wear Pants to Church Day': Does What You Wear to Church Matter?

Fef 2012/12/14 21:11:23
Debate over church dress codes have raged over the past few decades. Traditionalists insist that all people in church wear their "Sunday best" when praying to the Almighty. But what about a woman who wants to wear her "Sunday best" pants?

The Bible reads: The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God." Deuteronomy 22:5, King James Version (KJV).
Does this mean a woman cannot wear pants? What if she wears pants designed for a woman? Men and women didn't wear pants thousands of years ago -- after the Hebrew bible. Women wear pants regularly (imagine Secretary of State Hillary Clinton -- no, wait, picture another woman wearing pants.) Still, do you think what you wear to church matters?

LATIMES.COM reports:
Mormon feminists tout Sunday as 'Wear Pants to Church Day.' Fury ensues, along with death threats.
women in pants

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na...

• MlssCue =Go Blue= 2012/12/15 02:04:38
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +10
    IMO,in depends.

My immediate thought is no it does not matter as long as you come there with one thing in mind, and that is focusing on God. He wants everyone to come to him 'as they are'.

However, if you go there dressed like you're going to treat church no different than going to the club (there are plenty who have it in their mind that it's the place for dating), I have a problem with that. The jewelry, the threads, the dos..etc. those things aren't for God that's purely for the eye of the Jones'!

And on a side note, the verse used says nothing about jeans, pants, suits, etc. Besides that was during a time when even the men wore robes...

• raschell97 2013/06/04 17:56:28
    raschell97
    you just need to be dressed nice and be able to listen when you need to
  • Ramón 2012/12/26 02:00:06
    Ramón
    Why does one need to be a feminist to wear slacks or jeans to church? What kind of church do you go to? Feminist? Of course I am Jewish so the whole church thing is puzzling to me, but really? Really? Why would a feminist even go to church? Aren't they too busy protesting pro-life clinics or something like that?
  • Tomboy110 2012/12/25 03:01:05
    Tomboy110
    It should not matter at all. Soviety is all about presentation. Well i say f*** iy. Let me where some sweats with a t shirt and let me be blessed in piece.
  • Dave 007 2012/12/23 12:57:47
    Dave 007
    No need to dress up like they did in the old days, but wearing, for example beach attire, should not be worn.
  • Mopheadmusic2000 2012/12/23 02:42:40
    Mopheadmusic2000
    While your clothes do not matter--and should not matter--there are some exceptions, I think, out of regard to respect and decency. Wearing flip-flops to church with ball caps and bahama shorts are NOT reverent, for example. God is not concerned with what you wear. But out of reverential respect, one should at least LOOK like they know that they are in church.
  • Christopher Kirchen 2012/12/23 00:10:18
    Christopher Kirchen
    But as long as the pants in question are relatively dressy, I don't see why it should be a problem.
  • ivegotloveinmypants 2012/12/22 13:36:33
    ivegotloveinmypants
    As long as it is respectfully decent, I guess.
  • patrick.bonacoscia 2012/12/21 17:34:58
    patrick.bonacoscia
    +1
    Does not matter if a woman wears a pant. What is important is that as a christian she goes to the church.

There is also a lot of hypocrisy in some people going to church only to show their nice clothes, making a show of themselves (look I'm a good christian...), hardly interested in the minister sermon
  • Mj PINKYFINGERDOWN 2012/12/19 21:35:54
  • KCMamabear Mj PINK... 2012/12/21 17:33:24
    KCMamabear
    "The Kingdom of God is inside you and all around you,
    Not in a mansion of wood and stone.
    Split a piece of wood and I am there,
    Lift a stone and you will find Me."

The Nag Hamadi scroll from the Gospel of St. Thomas. These were the scriptures NOT included in the bible by Constantine and his men. They are said to be the words of Jesus himself. Now why would a group of powerful men of the church not want the actual words of Jesus in the Bible? Especially words that take away the churches' power and contradict the scriptures they decided to include that make it sound like the path to God is through the church? Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
  • Mj PINK... KCMamabear 2012/12/28 16:13:08 (edited)
  • becky obryan 2012/12/19 15:31:51
    becky obryan
    +1
    I wear jeans and a t shirt or sweater to Church and my cowgirl boots. Most of the people who go there wear the same basic thing. Men are men and women are women. Everyone is dressed modestly.
  • the fuze 2012/12/19 14:33:41
    the fuze
    No it doesn't.
  • Brenda 2012/12/19 13:21:49
    Brenda
    +2
    I think what we wear matters at all time...not just the church. Now does it matter if you wear pants is a different story. I think God should get your best. We dress our daughters up in $300 dresses for the prom,our sons in expensive tucks for one night trying to look their best. God should get the same respect for He is the one who made it all possible. Jeans have their place. I am not saying it's not okay to wear them to church but be respectful. Stop wearing the low riders and every time you move or stand your butt crack is showing and you are constantly pulling down your shirt. Same way with short skirts, low cut blouses. I have heard it said more than once that those clothing was all they had. Buy proper clothing in the first place and it won't be a problem. A nice nontight pantsuit or slacks works. Even with all this said, come worship regardless. In time, if one is serious about worshipping, mindsets will change. When you know better, do better.
  • KCMamabear Brenda 2012/12/21 17:36:18
    KCMamabear
    God made our bodies in His own image. Why would he be offended by them or any part of them? Did He not create us naked? The perversion of man is what made our bodies unacceptable. Not God.
  • Brenda KCMamabear 2012/12/28 13:51:21
    Brenda
    The operative word is "God". He might have created us naked but Adam and Eve changed all that, therefore being ashamed of being naked. God created us with 2 legs, 2 arms, 2 eyes, 1 head, etc. but I be damned if he is responsible for the way some people let their bodies go and then have the nerve to flaunt flab and cracks in front of everyone. He might not be offended but people can be and rightfully so.
  • KCMamabear Brenda 2012/12/31 16:31:39
    KCMamabear
    1 Samuel 16:7
    But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.
  • Brenda KCMamabear 2013/01/11 13:09:18
    Brenda
    +2
    I Timothy 2:9
    likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire.
    1Peter 3:3,
  • KCMamabear Brenda 2013/01/14 04:20:10
    KCMamabear
    Do you even know what that passage refers to? It has nothing to do with women wearing pants. It has more to do with NOT spending $300 on a prom dress or getting an expensive tux (not tucks - TUX! as in short for TUXEDO) for your son. Sinner.
  • Brenda KCMamabear 2013/01/16 02:51:29
    Brenda
    I give up. You miss the whole point. I don't argue with IGNORANCE! TUCKS. TUX! WHO THE HELL CARES. APPARENTLY YOU GOTTHE POINT ON THIS ONE.
  • RayTheBay KCMamabear 2013/04/22 02:32:55
    RayTheBay
    +3
    Well not wearing pants refers to the part in the bible of woman not wearing mans garments. Deuteronomy 22:5 A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this. Those are gods words so they must be obeyed and pants are mans clothing. If it didn't matter to god at all he wouldn't have said it, people try to do anything these days to get by on what god said..
  • KCMamabear RayTheBay 2013/04/22 18:18:31
    KCMamabear
    Pants designed for women are not men's pants. Your quote refers to cross dressing, not women wearing pants.
  • RayTheBay KCMamabear 2013/06/05 02:17:42
    RayTheBay
    While that is true there is supposed to be a clear distinction in church and god says woman should dress with modesty. If one is designated as mans clothes in church then females shouldn't wear it. Same goes for man, its supposed to be agreed upon what are man or womans clothing even if both were to switch up and wear the others clothing. God gave man the final decision on this even though both man and female get to have their input.
  • KCMamabear RayTheBay 2013/06/11 21:26:43
    KCMamabear
    Wearing women's pants vs men's pants to church is a clear enough distinction. Pants are not only far more modest than skirts, but if the pants are made for a woman, they would be designated as women's clothing, and I shouldn't have to be concerned about someone thinking all pants on the planet are made solely for men.
  • RayTheBay KCMamabear 2013/06/18 18:34:24
    RayTheBay
    Shouldn't have to be vs gods word on what should be is the problem. Doesn't matter what you think a man and a woman are supposed to have very clear distinctions on clothing and close enough doesn't cut it with god. This is what's called cutting corners and trying to justify your own rules. Its not that woman can't wear pants its that in gods house you shouldn't wear anything close to what men wear that's all it is.
  • KCMamabear RayTheBay 2013/06/19 04:44:11
    KCMamabear
    You're laughable.
  • apaтнeтιc lycanтнrope 2012/12/19 11:02:15
    apaтнeтιc lycanтнrope
    The times I went to church when I was younger was just a pair of nice jeans, a blouse, and some small black heels. I didn't really care how I was dressed, but it did have to be clean and a little fancier than my normal wear because that's just how people dressed in my family. Personally, I don't think it very much matters.
  • Judge Peter Hill 2012/12/19 08:21:30 (edited)
    Judge Peter Hill
    +1

This is a passage which in its original context, refered to a time when women were not to dress as men (they were not allowed in the temple), and men were not allowed to dress as women to enter a woman's tent (fear of rape).

I personally would like to see the Mormon men respond with a "wear a dress, high heels, and pantyhose to Church day!"

BTW, the only "dress code" in the Bible is in the book of James 2:2-7, where it clearly forbids excluding someone from the Church because they were sloppily dressed! "If a rich man comes in finely dressed and you tell him to take a front seat and a poor man comes in sloppily dressed and you tell him sit in the back, you have dishonored the poor man. Is it not the rich who oppress you and drag you into Court and curse the Name by which you are called?"
  • KCMamabear Judge P... 2013/04/22 18:19:36
    KCMamabear
    Pants designed for women are not men's pants and that passage refers to cross dressing not the style of dress.
  • Judge P... KCMamabear 2013/04/23 01:01:39 (edited)
    Judge Peter Hill
    Can you say this? If you are a woman, go to any Department store, go to the men's section and buy clothes that are men's. Have your boyfriend/husband go to the women's section and buy clothes that are women's. Put them on and then go out in public. If that doesn't convince you there is a double standard, nothing will! BTW that is me in my avatar made up as a woman! www.modelmayhem.com/1083423
  • Guru in anything scientific 2012/12/19 07:14:15
    Guru in anything scientific
    A guy spoke at our school about having pink hair and going into the church. There was this old lady staring at him and said to get out of the church because he had put shame to it...
  • Judge P... Guru in... 2012/12/19 19:48:09
    Judge Peter Hill
    Reminds me of a tract I saw a few years back where a long haired biker and his girlfriend were standing in front of a Church and the Pastor was pointing at them and exclaiming "When they cut their hair and put on clean clothes THEN I will let them in!" The next panel showed the biker and his girlfriend walking away with their hands up in disgust and saying "And we thought Christ was the answer! Bah! What a mistake!"
  • Kimmie Blincoe 2012/12/19 06:48:34
    Kimmie Blincoe
    what matters is that it isn't, excuse the phrase, but slut cloths. it isn't right to show up to church in a low cut shirt, with a mini pencil skirt on. That isn't right, but it comes down to that you should come in the presence of God, as you are. Then to the male side of this, I don't think it's right to come to church in full drag (I really don't know another phrase for that one.) You should dress properly, but pants over a skirt depends on the church. some churches are just more formal and you should go in a dress or a nice pant suit, just as men at those churches wear nice suits, while other churches are very laid back, and wearing something formal isn't normal.
  • Judge P... Kimmie ... 2012/12/19 08:39:22 (edited)
    Judge Peter Hill
    It isn't right to come to church in certain clothing that is appropriate in other settings. This is a close up of my avatar (me made up as a female):

avatar

I had no problem doing that for my webpage (www.modelmayhem.com/1083423) but no, I wouldn't go to church dressed like that!
  • KCMamabear Judge P... 2012/12/21 17:43:14
    KCMamabear
    "It isn't right to come to church in certain clothing that is appropriate in other settings." Why not? You seem more concerned with what the PEOPLE in the church think than what God thinks. You think he makes any distinction between what you wear to bed and what you wear to a wedding? He couldn't care less.
  • RayTheBay KCMamabear 2013/04/22 02:39:16
    RayTheBay
    +1
    No god does care or else he wouldn't have said that. This is like saying do you think god cares what you do inside the church. The church is gods house so yes he does care what you do or wear in his house. You keep using that excuse but god also knows man looks on the outword appearance and that's why there is a dress code and he said man and woman shouldn't wear the same clothing. Wearing what you wear everyday shows disrepect and that displeases god because you aren't doing what he says and just shows that you don't care about how others view gods people. God also appointed man leaders of the church so yes they can make a dress cold.. Also if we use your logic wearing nothing to church would be fine yet he tells woman to dress with modesty and being naked isn't modesty anywhere.
  • KCMamabear RayTheBay 2013/04/22 17:57:40
    KCMamabear
    This is exactly why organized religion should be illegal. Twisting and warping the bible to suit their own agendas and brainwashing the multitudes to believe it. Sickening.
  • KCMamabear Kimmie ... 2012/12/21 17:40:36
    KCMamabear
    Didn't God make our bodies in His own image? Why would he be offended by them or any part of them then? I really don't think God cares if you're naked to praise Him. The only issue being discussed here is MAN'S preference. Man perverted parts of the human body, not God.
  • RayTheBay KCMamabear 2013/04/22 02:42:07
    RayTheBay
    +1
    See that's the problem, you don't think but the bible tells us. Just do what the bible says and you won't have a problem. What man and woman wear changes with culture but even then he says wear your best and he knows when you are wearing your best. Also remember god gave adam and eve clothing because he also knew where being nude would lead to. God cares about us being naked because others care and the bible says were supposed to be christ like and look good for him. If we start dressing for the world why should anyone respect the church at all?
  • KCMamabear RayTheBay 2013/04/22 18:17:29
    KCMamabear
    Very few people do respect the "church". They're simply brainwashed to think they should. Organized religion goes against everything God wants. Jesus said, "Do not be concerned from morning until evening and from evening until morning about what you will wear." Jesus said, "When you disrobe without being ashamed and take up your garments and place them under your feet like little children and tread on them, then [will you see] the Son of the Living One, and you will not be afraid"

2014/07/29 22:57:21