Monsanto’s Roundup Shown to be Ravaging Butterfly Population?

~ The Rebel ~ 2012/03/12 04:06:56

Monsanto’s Roundup, containing the active ingredient glyphosate, has been tied to more health and environmental problems than you could imagine. Similar to how pesticides have been contributing to the bee decline, Monsanto’s Roundup has been tied to the decrease in the population of monarch butterflies by killing the very plants that the butterflies rely on for habitat and food. What’s been shown to be an even greater threat to the population, though, is Monsanto’s Roundup Ready corn and soybeans.

Roundup Ready Crops and Glyphosate Leading to Downfall of Insect Populations

A 2011 study published in the journal Insect Conservation and Diversity found that increasing acreage of genetically modified Roundup Ready corn and soybeans is heavily contributing to the decline in monarch butterfly populations within North America. Milkweed, a plant butterflies rely on for habitat and food, is being destroyed by the heavy use of glyphosate-based pesticides and Roundup Ready crops. Over the past 17 years, the monarch butterfly population in central Mexico has declined, reaching an all-time low in 2009-2010.

Read More: http://naturalsociety.com/monsantos-roundup-shown-...

• lm1b2 2012/03/12 14:56:45
    lm1b2
    +1
    Then it should be banned like most pesticides should be!
  • Muver 2012/03/12 04:19:28
    Muver
    +1
    This is a sad state of affairs for the the country, if not the world....shame on Monsanto and the Government for allowing this....If the butterflies are destroyed, guess who and what is next......US.....I don't want this stuff on my food, or that of my pets....I don't even want if in the air or in the earth, seeping thru to our water tables....is it any wonder why cancer and related illness is a bigger business than the government!!!! There is no good reason for any of this.....when I discovered my yard man was using Roundup on my weeds, I had him stop immediately, and I hope the earth can recover....I don't want my animals walking on that kind of earth, then licking their paws, passively ingesting probably carcinogens....I love the butterflies, and I plant flowers and bushes to purposely attract them, and bees as well.....The earth needs these insects for survival....
    Please, let's all get Monsanto to stop this horrible practice.....it is not only killing the insects it is killing all of US.....
  • ~ The R... Muver 2012/03/12 11:58:27
    ~ The Rebel ~
    +1
    Have you checked out Organic Bytes? The only problem I have with them is they're on the global warming bandwagon. But... they are going after Monsanto.

http://organicconsumers.org/o...
  • Muver ~ The R... 2012/03/14 00:37:38
    Muver
    No I haven't , but thanks for the info, I will check it out....;D
  • Fran-Halen 2012/03/12 04:16:24
    Fran-Halen
    +1
    Monsanto... weeds are not the only thing they are good at eradicating.

2014/07/29 00:44:46