Military Moms Photographed Breastfeeding in Uniform: Inappropriate or Harmless?

There's something about breastfeeding that seems to get people all riled up. Why? We're not sure. Doctors recommend breastfeeding as the best way to feed your baby for at least the first year of his or her life. But still ... there's something about military moms doing it in uniform that takes the "issue" to the next level.

A photo of two military moms breastfeeding their babies -- part of a local breastfeeding awareness campaign by Mom2Mom of Fairchild Air Force Base -- is supposedly causing an "outrage." We're not really sure who's outraged, but this is the photo in question:

"People are comparing breastfeeding in uniform to urinating and defecating in uniform. They're comparing it to the woman who posed in Playboy in uniform [in 2007]" Crystal Scott, a military spouse and mother of three who launched the group, told Yahoo! Shine. "We never expected it to be like this."

Terran Echegoyen-McCabe, a member of the Air National Guard who was photographed in uniform nursing her 10-month-old twin daughters, defended the pics on the "Today" show. "I'm proud to be wearing a uniform while breastfeeding. I'm proud of the photo and I hope it encourages other women to know they can breastfeed whether they're active duty, guard or civilian," she said. Do you have a problem with the pic?

• Dar 2012/05/31 16:49:14
    Harmless
    Dar
    +34
    Does wearing a uniform disqualify you from motherhood and all that it encompasses...NO.

• debrarae POTL _ PWCM 2012/06/04 02:36:37
    Inappropriate
    debrarae POTL _ PWCM
    +4
    If a person is in uniform, they should go to a private place to breast feed their children.
  • HipJipC debrara... 2012/06/10 00:17:25
    HipJipC
    And why is that? How much power does a uniform have? A uniform is clothing to identify a person. It is not a special God relic or anything else deserving of stomping all over breastfeeding women in the military. You all act like these women are masturbating in public for goodness sakes. If people don't like it they have the choice not to look. They look so they can bitch to unload some of their baggage. I seriously wish people would keep their damn baggage to themselves. Not all of us were raised shame-based. There is nothing offensive about breast feeding. What is offensive is how some make it offensive with there screwed up, diseased minds.
  • debrara... HipJipC 2012/06/10 02:09:30 (edited)
    debrarae POTL _ PWCM
    Let's see WE are the same AGE, but YOU are acting like you're 12, with your whiny gutter minded personal attack against me.

http://www.sodahead.com/livin...

I never SAID that Breast feeding was OFFENSIVE I said that if one is in UNIFORM it should be done in PRIVATE!

Nice of you to LIE through your TEETH, and try to infer your gutter minded lies on me. My comment which I have copied and pasted twice in this reply; proves you lied..

NOW that we have your PATHETIC LIES about ME out of the way:

I am a HONORABLY DISCHARGED VETERAN. And YOU are in no POSITION to be RAVING about what YOU THINK the UNIFORM does or does not mean.

The fact is the PEOPLE in the UNIFORM (YOU THINK NOTHING OF) Protect and preserve the CONSTITUTION. And in doing THAT ...They are in short protecting YOUR right to act like the Twelve year old I mistook you for.

BTW while the military in fact encourages BREAST FEEDING, it does NOT encourage it to be done IN UNIFORM.........and IN PUBLIC! When those women did that in UNIFORM.......and in PUBLIC, they came to be in violation of a number of military regulations and laws. Laws which they were made aware of from their first day at basic training..

And whether or not YOU like it, these women can and most likely will be disciplined for their LACK of Discipline. Btw...

http://www.sodahead.com/livin...

And whether or not YOU like it, these women can and most likely will be disciplined for their LACK of Discipline. Btw they may well get a Article 15, court martial, or even be Dishonorably discharged for conduct unbecoming of a soldier.

AGAIN............, I never SAID anything was OFFENSIVE about BREAST FEEDING. I said that when in UNIFORM those SOLDIERS should have done it in PRIVATE.

http://www.sodahead.com/livin...

So much for 'your' input.
  • sami 2012/06/04 02:33:04
    Harmless
    sami
    +1
    The only time I have ever been bothered by a Mom breastfeeding was when years ago I saw one that had a cigarette dangling from her mouth above the baby as it was feeding ... Not only the second hand smoke would be bad, but the ashes could fall on the baby ... My Step-Mom was a smoker but I did not know it for years ... She always smoked out behind the garage, not wanting to let the house smell bad and not wanting to cause her kids to have breathing problems ... Sure do miss her, she died because of her smoking ...
  • cher2 sami 2012/06/04 13:04:40
    cher2
    So sorry for your loss...I was a smoker too and when I think of it now, wow..ashtrays in the doctors offices, hospital rooms..you name it. I worked in the ER in the early 70's for the cardiologists, we did the treadmill tests, EKG's and smoked right there while running the tests. Hospital staff were the biggest smokers of all ! Unreal..However, my kids (old kids) are fine and they do not smoke thankfully. But there were sure no guarantees of that or even the thought of anything going wrong.. Had we had the information you kids have today, it would have been different for me. But, I see so many young kids smoking today I wonder, will it ever really end? I would never begrudge a smoker their right, but I sure know how lousy I felt when I quit, and now I would probably be dead or wish I was.
  • HipJipC sami 2012/06/10 01:07:51
    HipJipC
    Now that is something to be offended and angry about.
  • JPS 2012/06/04 02:29:34
    Harmless
    JPS
    +2
    Hungry babies do not care if their mothers wear uniforms, so why should we?
  • NUCKLED... JPS 2012/06/04 06:27:19
    NUCKLEDRAGGER
    What is wrong with bottle feeding when you are in public for crying out loud.
  • cher2 NUCKLED... 2012/06/04 13:05:15
    cher2
    I think it is time for your generation to stay out of these issues...they are way over the hill.
  • HipJipC cher2 2012/06/10 00:31:40
    HipJipC
    It doesn't have to do with generation. I am in his generation and only a year younger than him (I'm 52 and he's 53). I seriously thought he was in his 60's or 70's. I have met women in public breastfeeding. If they are open and clearly comfortable I will approach so that I can tell them how beautiful their baby is and how wonderful they are doing what too little women do nowadays. I guess carrying around shame and other negativities about such a normal, beautiful thing can take years off of someone. Shame is usually programmed into someone at a young age. I was a victim of shame and chose to see it early and change it. Not all are capable of doing that. The getting "wiser with age" thing is something someone has to work at because it doesn't "Just Happen". Most just want to put it all on others instead of facing their own demons within. Then they get the illusion that they are good and everything that offends them personally becomes bad. They think society should uphold their personal beliefs and all because of their baggage and diseased minds. That's not how it should work but it's hard to get people to disengage from their egos and realize they are not at the center of the universe and that they really are not that important.
  • Matthew Marek 2012/06/04 01:36:11
    Inappropriate
    Matthew Marek
    +6
    I have no problem with breastfeeding in uniform, but it should be done in private.
  • HipJipC Matthew... 2012/06/04 05:31:59
    HipJipC
    No, people with shame problems need to look away and if that doesn't work pluck their eyes out.
  • Dogman 2012/06/04 00:49:26
    Harmless
    Dogman
    +5
    This is America. We can show 30 murders each night on TV, but a mother nursing her child - that's DISGUSTING!
  • 8bitgon... Dogman 2012/06/04 04:18:14
    8bitgonemad
    That's not our choice now is it?
  • HipJipC 8bitgon... 2012/06/04 05:33:28
    HipJipC
    You have a choice to not look now don't you? But you do. You do because you have shame. You were taught shame at an early age. Why do others have to carry the weight of your shame?
  • 8bitgon... HipJipC 2012/06/23 01:30:06
    8bitgonemad
    Well of course I look. Not because I have shame, because I want to know what's going on. And what are saying that I have a chance not to look at. I don't have a problem with any of this, but I feel that the media isn't going to care if we start a riot against this situation that we should quit showing murders on television or something.
  • Dogman 8bitgon... 2012/06/04 21:11:26
    Dogman
    +1
    Sure it is. Our culture is what we make it.
  • 8bitgon... Dogman 2012/06/23 01:26:02
    8bitgonemad
    Well I wasn't the one to decide that specific problem. Neither were you. I don't have any problems with this situation, or your comment, but I wasn't the one who suggestedwhat we put on the news, I'm just saying we had no large power to decide that. It's the media, they will turn any situation into money
  • VenomHalos 2012/06/04 00:25:50
    Harmless
    VenomHalos
    +1
    What are they supposed to do, change?
  • James 2012/06/04 00:17:08 (edited)
    Inappropriate
    James
    +5
    It's harmless when done, when photographed it becomes porn. Bet ya didn't think about that, did ya? I have no problem with breastfeeding in public, it's when mothers do these things and make it known to the world, that is when I have a problem with it. It's fine and dandy if you want to breastfeed in public, but PLEASE stop making it a public issue. Don't photograph it, don't put it on facebook or twitter and quit trying to make a statement with it!
  • VenomHalos James 2012/06/04 00:27:05 (edited)
    VenomHalos
    +3
    Right, a baby being fed is porn....... Whyever did I not think of that?
  • James VenomHalos 2012/06/04 00:28:08
    James
    +1
    A woman photographing her "exposed" breasts is considered porn. Think before you comment.
  • VenomHalos James 2012/06/04 00:30:56
    VenomHalos
    +3
    If you seriously think it's porn becuase of that, then you have some issues to take care of.
  • James VenomHalos 2012/06/04 00:34:30
    James
    +1
    Perhaps you should read the definition of soft-core porn. This fits in the description. If you're going to personally attack me, don't bother responding.
  • VenomHalos James 2012/06/04 01:02:29
    VenomHalos
    +1
    I didn't "personally attack you." I was just pointing out that breastfeeding is not porn. And the only reason that anyone has an issue with is because of overly horny people who share your mindset. If people would just lay off it, it wouldn't be an issue anymore.
  • James VenomHalos 2012/06/04 01:14:40
    James
    +1
    No, my reason was a legitimate reason. I am tired of seeing this posted EVERYWHERE! Why do women feel the need to make this public? What's the big deal about it? You breastfeed in public, cool! If a guy is caught urinating in public, he gets arrested and labeled a sexual predator depending on where he is caught. Breastfeeding CAN fall under the softcore porn category. You obviously didn't look it up. If women would just stop doing it and taking pictures of it, it wouldn't be a problem either.

Answer me this: WHY take a picture? What does it serve? You don't need to take a picture to prove you're a good mother. Your child can do that. How do you think that baby will feel in ten years when it sees how its mother was publicly breastfeeding him/her? The child will be embarrassed plain and simple.

Like I originally posted, I have no issue with public breastfeeding. What I have issues with is when women decide to take pictures of it and make the world know they breastfeed in public.
  • Pronata... James 2012/06/05 12:16:34
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    Actually I disagree with that also. Radio talk show host Michael Savage some time ago, made a remark about taking a whiz (peeing) on a golf course, could land a man on the sexual predator list. Outrageous, how we are becoming such an insane police state. How long would it take? 20 minutes to get back to the golf course restroom? When you gotta go, you gotta go. It might be "in bad taste" to urinate in public, that isn't really so public, but it should NOT be a crime, at least not in some understandable cases. I saw some boy urinating in a parking lot once. I think what happened, is children have tiny bladders and don't plan ahead, and so he just couldn't make it inside the building before he would have peed his pants. Like most normal people, who don't believe in the police state, I went about my business and didn't have anything to do or say about it. Hypothetical situation: "Did you see what that man did out there in the golf course?" "No, I know nothing." "But I saw you looking over there a moment ago, how could you not have seen?" "So what? I respect the guy's privacy so shut up and don't make a scene." Of course, common sense isn't so common anymore.

To ask mothers to go to the restroom, to feed their baby, is just outright absurd. Who eats in the restroom? Mothers deserve...

To ask mothers to go to the restroom, to feed their baby, is just outright absurd. Who eats in the restroom? Mothers deserve nice cushy comfortable chairs, rocking chairs, or glider rockers for that, and not every place is some country club or Church, that has yet given much thought to such things, and has unlimited money for every possible need of the people who frequent it. Thus, we have mothers who think they have the right to breastfeed in most any public place. As a pro-life activist, I am inclined to agree, as I wish to welcome however many babies into the world, and so hungry babies, are just an understandable fact of life. There's nowhere to hide, for a breastfeeding mother on the crowded bus or airplane. She can't leave her place awaiting to board an airplane, or they may board without her and she miss her airplane. So people, please have a heart, and understand that breastfeeding in public, is common in developing countries with high birthrates, as breasts aren't even "sexual" there. Maybe in the Perverted States of America, breasts are sexual, but why can't we "overlook" it when there's a baby to explain for it?
  • James Pronata... 2012/06/05 15:28:17 (edited)
    James
    " There's nowhere to hide, for a breastfeeding mother on the crowded bus or airplane. She can't leave her place awaiting to board an airplane, or they may board without her and she miss her airplane." You do know they make blankets for that, right? For YEARS women have used blankets when they've had to breast feed in public. Why not now? And also, what's stopping the mother from pumping her milk at home so they can simply bottle feed the baby if it's hungry while waiting for the plane? Like I've had to say numerous times here; I have no problem with them breastfeeding in public. It just doesn't need to be photographed and placed all over the news.

"So people, please have a heart, and understand that breastfeeding in public, is common in developing countries with high birthrates, as breasts aren't even "sexual" there. "

And just where are these "developing" countries?

Other than those two statements I agree.
  • Pronata... James 2012/06/05 19:22:56
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    Kenya. Africa. Perhaps even Europe? It's the Americans who are so prudish about natural breastfeeding.

Use a blanket. Duh? Now why didn't I think of that? Problem solved? What blanket? "I knew I forgot to bring something?" Maybe you'd rather that the Mom forgot to get her baby out of the hot car, than to forget that precious blankie? Okay, I guess that isn't fair, so I take it back. Or let's say the air conditioner on the bus is broken, and it's 100 degrees F.? Yeah, cover up with a blanket, right. I don't know why that mother didn't simply cover up, but what do I care. Maybe the baby is tossing the blanket off? Do I need to be so judgmental? And don't think we men "like it" when mothers breastfeed. As usual, we get the short end of the stick, as while a glimpse may be no big deal, it's not worth being suspected of "staring."

Seriously? Breast pump at home? You are just begging for some wacko feminist to unload on you? Some babies won't take a bottle. They know what's good. Pumped milk is no longer fresh. And one can be running late, forgot to pump, or the baby's still hungry or cranky, and the bottle has run out. What then? Oh, but there's more, but we can't use that, because it might "offend" somebody. What a bunch of American crybabies, always on the lookout for how they can ...

Seriously? Breast pump at home? You are just begging for some wacko feminist to unload on you? Some babies won't take a bottle. They know what's good. Pumped milk is no longer fresh. And one can be running late, forgot to pump, or the baby's still hungry or cranky, and the bottle has run out. What then? Oh, but there's more, but we can't use that, because it might "offend" somebody. What a bunch of American crybabies, always on the lookout for how they can feign to be "offended" as a way to shove their will onto other people?

So what exactly did you agree with? No need to "cover up" at home? Not even with company visiting? I recall my sister wasn't concerned about us company. I mean it's her living room. We could always leave I suppose, if we wanted to feign "offense," rather than politely look in some other direction? I even gave her a glider rocker, as is so popular for mothers with small children.
  • James Pronata... 2012/06/05 19:32:37
    James
    Kenya, Africa... those are NOT developing countries. Those are third world countries that don't have the option of privacy like we do.

-_- If it's 100 degrees, you shouldn't be taking the baby outside. It's bad for its health. A baby that is young enough to feed off breast milk won't be able to kick a blanket off. For that matter, if your baby is able to kick it off, you're holding your baby wrong.

The only reason your pumped milk won't be fresh is if you forget to keep it in the refrigerator. And seriously lady, your baby is not going to die if you feed it from a bottle. If its hungry enough, it will take the bottle.

Personally, I find looking the other way a bit offensive. If you're at your own house, however, feel free to do whatever you want. If the company doesn't want you to, direct them to the door.

I agreed with your first paragraph.

All your arguing is that they should be allowed to do it in public, which I have no problems with. My issue is when they decide to photograph it and put it on the news.
  • VenomHalos James 2012/06/05 21:07:04
    VenomHalos
    Taking a picture is no different than doing it in public.
    Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to move on, seeing as this is clearly going nowhere with you.
  • James VenomHalos 2012/06/06 07:21:42 (edited)
    James
    No, taking a picture is different. Taking a picture is like documenting that you were a good mother. Most children don't want to grow up and find pictures of them breastfeeding on their mothers when they were babies.

If I don't mind? Ma'am, you're the one that initiated the talk. You can go at any time. I stand firm on my beliefs. I don't mind the breastfeeding in public. I just don't want to see it on the news and everywhere else that I go to escape from the real world for a little while!
  • morris44 James 2012/06/04 03:48:06
    morris44
    +2
    Porn is sexual by nature. If you think this is sexual, thats a problem.
  • James morris44 2012/06/04 04:03:21
    James
    Porn is photographed nudity by nature. A photo of a naked woman is considered pornography.
  • morris44 James 2012/06/04 22:26:17
    morris44
    Porn is not nude photography.

The literal definition:
    pornography (pɔːˈnɒɡrəfɪ)

— n
    1. writings, pictures, films, etc, designed to stimulate sexual excitement
  • James morris44 2012/06/05 02:14:49 (edited)
    James
    +1
    And a PICTURE of a semi-nude breast can stimulate sexual excitement. Not for me, however, but there are some crazy people out there.

And before you pull the feeding a baby stuff, just the sight of a breast is enough to turn some people (both men and women) into a horny beast!
  • Pronata... James 2012/06/05 12:23:34
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    +1
    So what? The world is becoming a very populous place. And as a pro-life activist who considers each and every human life to be of immense value and sacred, I fully support letting babies push out freely without use of any means of "birth control," as humans are amazing and so humanity ought to spread freely. You must learn to control your urges. Your argument would be better suited, towards advising some women with little sense?, (or perhaps even to turn guys on, perhaps to occasionally spot a growing penis bulge?), to dress more modestly. How many times have I seen revealing shirts, that show a lot of cleavage? Like that isn't very arousing to some guys? Like that's not a possible indication of sexual fertility? Men are visual, so it's supposed to be arousing. And yet who's really talking about modesty anymore?

Somebody remarked, what's the difference between underwear and a bikini? The color, I think, was the answer.
  • James Pronata... 2012/06/05 15:42:08
    James
    Agreed.
  • Pronata... James 2012/06/05 19:52:50
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    Agreed?

So you still don't agree with allowing breastfeeding in public, but you agreed with every point in my comment?

You agree with the natural population expansion of humanity, encouraging people everywhere to shun use of any means of "birth control," and with that it's probably not such a good idea to show so much breast cleavage in certain social settings?

Do you think the skimpy bikinis are too revealing? I would have to say, that thongs do need to be thicker than dental floss, at least. I used to think that a bikini shouldn't be exposing an inch or a few inches of butt flesh, but I think I'm over that now. Not so sure why I need to care about that? And I don't like the ridiculously dark colors that tantalize, yet hide any curves, because you can't see shadows on black. Might as well wear something more modest anyway, in that case.
  • James Pronata... 2012/06/05 19:57:38 (edited)
    James
    "So you still don't agree with allowing breastfeeding in public, but you agreed with every point in my comment?"

Holy crap how many times do I have to say it?! I COULDN'T CARE LESS IF WOMEN BREASTFEED IN PUBLIC!!!! WHAT IS SO HARD TO FREAKING UNDERSTAND ABOUT THAT?! I DON'T GIVE A CRAP! I'VE SAID IT 7 TIMES NOW!

"You agree with the natural population expansion of humanity, encouraging people everywhere to shun use of any means of "birth control," and with that it's probably not such a good idea to show so much breast cleavage in certain social settings?"

I'm not sure I agree with shunning birth control because it has other uses than it's initial advertised uses. I truly don't think cleavage is attractive and shouldn't be so "out there" in social settings.

Yes, I think that bikinis are too revealing nowadays.

2014/10/21 02:31:57