Military Moms Photographed Breastfeeding in Uniform: Inappropriate or Harmless?

SodaHead Living 2012/05/31 16:47:13
There's something about breastfeeding that seems to get people all riled up. Why? We're not sure. Doctors recommend breastfeeding as the best way to feed your baby for at least the first year of his or her life. But still ... there's something about military moms doing it in uniform that takes the "issue" to the next level.

A photo of two military moms breastfeeding their babies -- part of a local breastfeeding awareness campaign by Mom2Mom of Fairchild Air Force Base -- is supposedly causing an "outrage." We're not really sure who's outraged, but this is the photo in question:

moms

"People are comparing breastfeeding in uniform to urinating and defecating in uniform. They're comparing it to the woman who posed in Playboy in uniform [in 2007]" Crystal Scott, a military spouse and mother of three who launched the group, told Yahoo! Shine. "We never expected it to be like this."

Terran Echegoyen-McCabe, a member of the Air National Guard who was photographed in uniform nursing her 10-month-old twin daughters, defended the pics on the "Today" show. "I'm proud to be wearing a uniform while breastfeeding. I'm proud of the photo and I hope it encourages other women to know they can breastfeed whether they're active duty, guard or civilian," she said. Do you have a problem with the pic?

• Dar 2012/05/31 16:49:14
    Harmless
    Dar
    +34
    Does wearing a uniform disqualify you from motherhood and all that it encompasses...NO.

• tonyd301 Call me... 2012/06/08 19:12:13
    tonyd301
    +1
    DON'T LOOK IF IT BOTHERS "u"
  • Call me... tonyd301 2012/06/10 22:16:06
    Call me Mark willya?
    Grow up.
  • Ana Hen... Call me... 2012/06/17 17:32:52
    Ana Henriques
    You have a point.
  • Ant Call me... 2012/06/22 03:20:22
    Ant
    +1
    The truth is the military really does not care much for women and this is just another example of that. A bigger example is all the female soldiers getting raped and then getting kicked out of the military if they complain about it. Yeah, I know about that. So much for pride in our military. Pfft.
  • Call me... Ant 2012/06/22 06:17:18
    Call me Mark willya?
    +2
    Have you been enlisted? Just a question because we were basically FORCED to accept women aboard ship, and we were FORCED to make concessions for them. To allow them leeway in work details and such. We had a girl come to my shop that couldn't get her flight deck qualifications because she had a panic attack every time we went topside after dark, usually halfway up the ladder.

Same female was put to the only productive use we could find for her, we would bring gear, a BRU-32 bomb rack weighs' about 80 lbs. Her job was to take it down to AIMD in the forward hangar bay turn it in and pick up another to replace it. The smallest man in the shop was 20 lbs smaller than her, and I've seen him throw the rack on his shoulder and do the same job in 25 minutes. she disappeared for 4 HOURS, come to find out that she stopped as soon as she was outside the shop and went to the line to get another girl for help to get it down, and waited on a deck edge elevator run to get it back up to the flight deck... When asked if she was planning to work out and get strong enough to do the job she replied, "No would you expect your Momma to do it?"

I replied quickly that I wouldn't expect my Momma to be smart enough not to sign up for a job she knew she couldn't do.

You want to see pride? here's pri...

You want to see pride? here's pride!!! You want to see frustration put me back on board a boat full of little girls. AAAAggggghhhh!!! Maybe one out of four women on that first cruise were worth the skin it took to hold 'em together... I have met one or two that could handle anything you wanted to throw at them, vast majority NO.
  • ale.m.f... Call me... 2013/09/18 13:50:21
  • Snipernor 2012/06/04 21:59:44
    Inappropriate
    Snipernor
    +3
    I'm not against breastfeeding, but everyone should have to be mindfull of those around them. Some people do not want to see it happening while they are in a dinner, at a sports game, or just in public in general. There is a time and place to do certain things.

I'm pround of the young ladies serving their country, as we all are, but breastfeeding in uniform was probably a poor choice on their part. Its just not appropriate while in uniform.
  • ale.m.f... Snipernor 2012/06/05 10:43:01
    ale.m.franke
    Its just not appropriate while in public. Civilian or "in uniform"
  • skevich Snipernor 2012/06/05 10:51:44
    skevich
    +3
    If women who breast feed should have to be mindful of the people around them why don't we ban smoking in public because unlike breast feeding that actually damages other People's health
  • kikko67 skevich 2012/06/06 12:25:18
    kikko67
    +3
    It has been banned in many states except in restricted areas that keep smokers and non-smokers from being in the same place.
  • skevich kikko67 2012/06/27 13:48:59
    skevich
    +1
    To my knowledge it is only banned in buildings. Can you provide better detail where smoking is banned in public parks. Where I'm from the ban only apPlies to buildings.
  • Eoghan 2012/06/04 21:59:40
    Harmless
    Eoghan
    +2
    I think its quite good as it shows how times are changing and the rights of women are improving.
  • Hugo 2012/06/04 20:01:36
    Harmless
    Hugo
    +2
    If it was a man in uniform breastfeeding, I'd be concerned. This is a non-issue!
  • Corey Hugo 2012/06/29 21:17:03
  • Marie 2012/06/04 19:14:54
    Harmless
    Marie
    +2
    We might feel uncomfortable but it is not inapporoate!.
  • ghostrider Marie 2012/06/04 20:08:30
    ghostrider
    +1
    Why feel uncomfortable?
  • ale.m.f... ghostrider 2012/06/05 10:43:37
    ale.m.franke
    Breastfeeding in public? Not everyone wants to see that happening...
  • skevich ale.m.f... 2012/06/05 10:53:33
    skevich
    +1
    Smoking in public not everyone want your lung cancer. At least breast feeding doesn't hurt those around the woman.
  • ghostrider ale.m.f... 2012/06/05 17:40:44
    ghostrider
    +1
    Well, as always, you have to option to not continue staring ... nevertheless, it is a natural phenomenon
  • JakeJ277 ale.m.f... 2012/06/05 20:32:36
    JakeJ277
    +1
    Then don't look.
  • tonyd301 ale.m.f... 2012/06/08 19:05:36
    tonyd301
    +1
    Don't look
  • Ana Hen... ale.m.f... 2012/06/17 17:35:27
    Ana Henriques
    +1
    You seem to treat brestfeeding like it was some kind of sexual act. It's not. You have the right not to look, as well as the mother has the right to feed her baby.
  • Marie ghostrider 2012/06/05 18:38:43
    Marie
    not all people are exposed to breasts even though it is a common feature female have.
  • ghostrider Marie 2012/06/06 17:40:36
    ghostrider
    +2
    True ... but why not take an enlightened view? ... accept that it's a "natural phenomenon" (breastfeeding) ... if you personally feel uncomfortable, don't 'ogle' and, above all, don't 'judge' ... and, of course, try to refrain from attempting to impose your views and mores onto others.
  • Marie ghostrider 2012/06/07 18:27:54
    Marie
    yeah true... ;)
  • Corey ghostrider 2012/06/29 21:19:15 (edited)
  • Miriam ... Marie 2012/06/06 09:36:55
    Miriam Feldstein Case
    +1
    Why should one feel uncomfortable? If one breastfeeds, discretely, there is less breast showing than in most bathing suits.
  • george 2012/06/04 17:12:35
    Harmless
    george
    +2
    I will not discriminate against breasts!
  • Texas Johnny 2012/06/04 16:58:55
    Harmless
    Texas Johnny
    +2
    Nice MRE delivery systems, though!
  • doc 2012/06/04 16:44:45
    Harmless
    doc
    +1
    People are outraged because it is not them at the end of the nipple
  • Jean 2012/06/04 16:19:36
    Inappropriate
    Jean
    +6
    There is nothing wrong with breastfeeding but I do have a problem with women breastfeeding in uniform. Not because it's wrong but what the hell are you doing getting pregnant while you're serving your country. Your there for a job not to have babies. It's called birth control. How can you do your job if you get pregnant . You want all the benefits but not the responsibly of the job. tennwoman
  • MlssCue... Jean 2012/06/04 17:35:17
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +2
    Do you have the same view on men who decide to have children while serving? I don't see your point. That's like saying..."you're a lawyer, doctor, teacher, etc...you're there for your job not to have babies." Seriously?
  • Jean MlssCue... 2012/06/23 10:27:26
    Jean
    In case you didn't notice men don't give birth. How can she do her job if she is giving birth or pregnant. It doesn't take very many brain cells to understand that! Being in the military takes a certain commitment and if she is pregnant I don't believe she can do her job.
  • MlssCue... Jean 2012/06/23 22:25:34
  • Jean MlssCue... 2012/07/03 19:43:16
    Jean
    Ok little girl act your age not your IQ. You don't have enough brain cells or mature enough to understand what I was trying to say. There isn't anything wrong with breastfeeding. It's that she is getting paid to do a JOB that she cannot do if she is expecting. Good GOD DA
  • MlssCue... Jean 2012/07/03 22:33:29
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +1
    Hit a nerve huh? You're taking this from a debate to handing out personal jabs & I'm not mature? Accept that you're wrong & move along.
  • Jean MlssCue... 2012/07/11 10:55:47
    Jean
    No you didn't hit a nerve. It's just gets on my nerves when you have a child that doesn't understand life. Honey that's you.
  • ghostrider Jean 2012/06/04 20:10:54
    ghostrider
    +2
    So, when in the military, one is not 'allowed' to have children? .... Huh???????
  • Lana Ri... ghostrider 2012/06/05 04:21:24
    Lana Riley-Brown
    That is NOT what we pay for, they are shameless.
  • ghostrider Lana Ri... 2012/06/05 17:54:04
    ghostrider
    +2
    Serving in the military is just another 'job', really, although more demanding in certain respects and at certain times ... nevertheless, it is simply a 'job' that people choose to do and, the military being a cosmos of society, (some) women will (or choose to) become pregnant and have children ... it interferes no more with their job than it does in the civilian 'world' ... IF it were such an undue burden, surely the services would find alternatives ... shameless???? -- "pulheeeze"!!!

2014/04/17 01:19:46