Miley Cyrus Urges Fans to Go Gluten-Free: Smart or Silly?

Miley Cyrus swears she's not anorexic -- she's just gone gluten-free. And she wants you to do it, too. "For everyone calling me anorexic, I have a gluten and lactose allergy," she tweeted. "It's not about weight -- it's about health. Gluten is crap anyway!" Miley Cyrus then told a fan: "Everyone should try no gluten for a week! The change in your skin, physical and mental health is amazing. You won't go back!"

But health experts are firing back at the 19-year-old star, saying that only people with a gluten sensitivity or who have celiac disease should go gluten-free (gluten is a portion of a protein in wheat, found in
bread, pasta and other foods).

"People who go gluten-free may gain weight if they rely mostly on highly processed gluten-free foods, many of which tend to be higher in fat, calories and sugar than their gluten-containing counterparts," Rachel Begun, a registered dietitian and food industry consultant, told TODAY Health.

Karen Ansel, also a registered dietitian and spokeswoman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, agreed. "There’s absolutely no evidence that a gluten-free diet promotes weight loss," she told TODAY. "However, there is data that indicates that following a gluten-free diet can result in a diet that's low in key nutrients -- especially iron, zinc and B vitamins such as folate and niacin."

Miley certainly looks thin and toned ... but she's also been doing a lot of Pilates lately. Do you think everyone should go gluten-free? Or is Miley giving bad health advice?

• Atrum Angelus 2012/04/13 15:53:27 (edited)
    Silly
    Atrum Angelus
    +9
    These celebs jumping in the gluten free, paleo-diet band wagon are pissing me off. My wife is celiac, meaning she cannot eat gluten because her body essentially treats it as a poison. These people who do it as a fad make it difficult for people to take my wife seriously when she says she can't have gluten. For anyone else, gluten is fine. Our ancestors ate it. This paleo-diet crap is BS.

• Margaret Jacobson 2012/04/13 16:45:52
    Silly
    Margaret Jacobson
    +1
    eat what you want.............your fans will do the same..............People that need to be gluten free will do so..............GET IT NOW!!!
    Silly
    Atrum Angelus
    +9
  • Deactivated 2012/04/13 15:51:02
    Smart
    Deactivated
    Glutan makes me fat so I like that one idea she had...she finally thinks somewhat straight
  • Hannah 2012/04/13 15:01:29
    Silly
    Hannah
    +2
    if it will make me look like her, no thanks!
  • jkistner1 2012/04/13 14:49:46
    Smart
    jkistner1
    +1
    Don't pick on Miley, she's sweet and cute.
  • GLaDOS 2012/04/13 14:46:58
    Silly
    GLaDOS
    +4
    Unless you do it for health reasons such as intolerance.
  • Sonic 2012/04/13 14:41:26
    Silly
    Sonic
    +3
    Gluten is in no way "crap" as Miley has called it. Like anything, it's fine in moderation. I have a gluten allergy too, but I'm not forcing or telling anybody to change any of their habits. It is not my position to do so. Whether they choose to or not is there decision. So, a celebrity urging all of his/her fans to go gluten free whether or not they are alergic or not is wrong. After all, if a person whom I wasn't acquainted with just told me and a whole crowd of people to stop eating dairy or drinking dairy because it's "crap" and they have an allergy to it, why should I even listen?

When she says "go lactos free", that's when I will say "f*ck you. It's my life, and I will have all the diary I want. I will never give up cheese, milk, or ice cream just because you say it's 'crap'".
  • Heather 2012/04/13 14:38:02
    Silly
    Heather
    +3
    If you think you have a sensitivity or allergy, get tested but not any other reason!
  • <3XXmiy... Heather 2012/04/13 15:52:03
    <3XXmiyuXX<3
    +1
    Testing is not best way to find out, my sister has intolerance to gluten but it said negative on the test.
  • mae <3XXmiy... 2012/04/13 17:05:00 (edited)
    mae
    +1
    More than one test needs to be run before a diagnosis is definite, If she had labwork drawn but only one test was run, she needs further testing.
  • <3XXmiy... mae 2012/04/13 18:11:37
    <3XXmiyuXX<3
    +1
    no, she was fully tested, but it still said negative
  • mae <3XXmiy... 2012/04/13 18:32:50
    mae
    I'm guessing--she was being tested for Celiac disease? Or gluten allergy? My niece was tested for gluten allergy, also was negative, as was her Celiac screening. She did test Pos. for Lactose allergy. Dieticians took her off of gluten and dairy, and she was way better after just a week.
  • <3XXmiy... mae 2012/04/13 18:38:55
    <3XXmiyuXX<3
    +1
    let me rephrase: she was fully tested for gluten intolerance, the test said negative, which was incorrect. that's it.
  • Chi~Cat 2012/04/13 14:29:57
    Silly
    Chi~Cat
    +4
    Who the hell does she think is? pfffftttt.
  • Aubrey Caraballo 2012/04/13 14:00:29
    Smart
    Aubrey Caraballo
    +1
    she looks good regardless
  • strange_armour 2012/04/13 13:36:40
    Smart
    strange_armour
    +1
    She gives me a pleasant tingle in my shorts.
  • Deactiv... strange... 2012/04/13 15:52:04
    Deactivated
    :O.....lol
  • jere.ch... strange... 2012/04/13 16:56:05
    jere.chievres
    She is far too skinny.
  • alex 2012/04/13 13:27:49 (edited)
    Silly
    alex
    +5
    hey, how about telling people to get off their asses and EXERCISE. do you really think miley got like this by just eating healthy? you have to burn the calories you take in if you wanna lose weight, and its a no brainer you have to work out to gain muscle mass. quit looking for the miracle diet that has it all and go for a friggin WALK. if ya cant walk, work your arms or have someone help ya do some sit ups.
  • jere.ch... alex 2012/04/13 16:57:05
    jere.chievres
    +1
    I walk 4 miles a day at 70 it does work.
  • DS in Oak Ridge NC 2012/04/13 12:10:59
    Silly
    DS in Oak Ridge NC
    +1
    Some have food allergies that include Gluten products. If you're not among them, it's silly to go gluten-free. If you want to give it a whirl, have at it, but don't expect big changes unless the underlying factors exist.
  • Smart
    ϟ Emma ϟ_♥loves♥supernatural♥
    +4
    i love her body!!
  • jere.ch... ϟ Emma ... 2012/04/13 16:57:39
    jere.chievres
    If you like anorexic?
  • ϟ Emma ... jere.ch... 2012/04/13 21:48:54
    ϟ Emma ϟ_♥loves♥supernatural♥
    +1
    she is not anorexic at all! she has a healthy and toned body
  • hari 2012/04/13 10:13:05
    Smart
    hari
    +1
    to maintain fitness its nice
  • Kari 2012/04/13 10:01:55
    Silly
    Kari
    +1
    Meh, I don't think it's so bad. It sure beats urging them to smoke crack. Whatever she is doing, she looks great.
  • I Wish I Were A Skywalker..... 2012/04/13 09:06:46
    Smart
    I Wish I Were A Skywalker... ~ In Television I Trust
    +1
    My mom has been eating gluten free since before Miley was born, and she lost crazy much weight, but more than that she's really healthy now. It also really brought down the swelling in her Schilddrüse.
    I just don't want to do it because I've already got a healthy weight and love my bread :)
  • jere.ch... I Wish ... 2012/04/13 17:08:07
    jere.chievres
    +2
    For those who don't know German "Schilddruse" is the Thyroid.
  • I Wish ... jere.ch... 2012/04/13 19:45:09
    Oh, sorry, I only know medical terms in German, and I always forget to translate as most of my friends understand it.
  • jere.ch... I Wish ... 2012/04/13 19:50:27
    jere.chievres
    Not a problem for me!
  • Jian Qi 2012/04/13 08:25:07 (edited)
    Silly
    Jian Qi
    +2
    Really, in a way its a good idea and not but check it out your self, being me taking out out of of my diet at a hult ,after learning of my lactose problem made me have bad digestive problems. if you really want to do it start taking it out slowly....... really slowly and if it doesnt work or u dont like it stop slowly.. i tried again and it didn't affect me at all really also if your cant drink lactose and hate soy and still love milk bring it to a almost boil and let it cool for some reason it worked for me.and ps. when a someone says a week a fan will say hey shes doin it why not me, strange in know but extreme fans will keep doin what ever there celeb is doin.
  • Maci 2012/04/13 07:34:42 (edited)
  • Gregaj7 2012/04/13 06:56:35
    Smart
    Some folk have issues with gluten.
  • Stef and the City 2012/04/13 06:49:45
    Smart
    Stef and the City
    +3
    She said that everyone should try it for a week, don't get your panties in a knot here people. Noone's holding a gun to your head, this isn't the same person who kicked your dog or makes you pay taxes, she is not the government telling you what to eat so relax. Breathe. Everything's going to be alright. I don't think Miley Cyrus looks anorexic, she looks healthy to me and maybe those who think she looks too skinny are considered too fat to other people?
  • Happy_Evil_Dude 2012/04/13 06:35:59
    Silly
    Happy_Evil_Dude
    +1
    Miley is thin due to cigarettes and drugs.
  • Stef an... Happy_E... 2012/04/13 06:50:30
    Stef and the City
    +2
    I'm thin, do I smoke cigarettes or do drugs? No.
  • Happy_E... Stef an... 2012/04/13 06:54:55
    Happy_Evil_Dude
    +1
    I'm not saying you do, I'm saying she does.
  • Stef an... Happy_E... 2012/04/13 07:26:52
    Stef and the City
    Alrighty.
  • Zman Stef an... 2012/04/13 14:38:53
    Zman
    +3
    Don't forget beautiful...
  • Joshua ... Happy_E... 2012/04/13 06:53:00
    Joshua Franklin
    Both my parents smoked mom was overweight cigarettes got nothing to do with it kid :p

2014/09/02 09:45:22