Microsoft CEO Declares War on Apple: What Company Makes Better Products?

Chris D 2012/07/10 18:00:00
Microsoft and Apple have been duking it out since the start of technology. The companies are classic arch-enemies with a healthy dose of mutual respect. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates had a notorious "frenemy" relationship, with Gates' Microsoft actually providing a bailout financing (investment) to the tune of $150 million in 1997. It was an investment that saved Apple and was hugely profitable to Microsoft in the long run. But, with all that being said, a person is either PC or Apple. Which one are you?

MASHABLE.COM reports:
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer declared war on Apple and didn't rule out a Microsoft-made smartphone.
apple vs windows

Read More: http://mashable.com/2012/07/10/microsofts-ballmer-...

• Magical... Donnie 2012/07/11 10:52:57
    Magical Mushroom
    Yes it was the computer. It would blue screen. Now there is something wrong with the mouse pad then the hard disk went bad not to long after buying it. I fixed it but I loved my mac. Its all the mater of preference.
  • BloodlessVeins 2012/07/10 22:43:05
    Microsoft
    BloodlessVeins
    +1
    Other than the product, I really emulate Bill Gates.
  • Zeruke 2012/07/10 22:25:03
    Apple
    Zeruke
    +4
    it actually depends on what your using it for.... but Apple can usually find out the problem quicker because of it being closed hardware there is a way to install Apple's OS on other hardware but it is technically illegal because of the EULA

I myself see Linux as first Apple's Mac OS X as second and then Microsoft's Windows as third
  • ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/07/10 21:50:23
    Microsoft
    ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★
  • Kirino 2012/07/10 21:49:09 (edited)
  • Zeruke Kirino 2012/07/10 22:32:27
    Zeruke
    +1
    I have to point out while Apple uses the same hardware for the most part it is its own OEM so its not completely the same other than using the same base specifications in which they can and do add, subtract, or even move the parts around on the PCB to get different results

also Linux and others like it usually has it were people have even more control just it takes more time to start understanding it
  • Kirino Zeruke 2012/07/10 22:55:06
  • Zeruke Kirino 2012/07/10 23:08:01
    Zeruke
    graphic cards and RAM are changed by OEMs.... processors of course cant unless they make their own which Apple stopped doing for their computer quite some time ago.... some parts on a HDD can be changed up too especially the solid state ones that Apple is starting to use more often like their new generations of Macbook pros

ok lol
  • Kirino Zeruke 2012/07/11 00:00:07
  • Zeruke Kirino 2012/07/11 00:44:34
    Zeruke
    DDR is a specification that you have to meet for it to be considered as DDR it can be higher then the specification and how things are placed can and do effect performance which is makes it technically different....

some graphic card OEMs add extra ram, change the clock speeds and placements which changes the performance so they can be different the only thing that would always be the same for OEMs is the GPU part

the HDDs PCB which has the chips and firmware which changes the controls but probably doesn't effect much......

SDDs on the other hand deals with NANDs which means placements can effect it dramatically and then there's the memory controllers which is one of the problems right now on getting the capacities up to speed with HDDs

you cant really expect big capacity right now with SSDs let alone the whole problem with degradation in performance of the NANDs because of deleting and writing information
  • Kirino Zeruke 2012/07/11 01:17:03
  • Nameless Kirino 2012/07/10 23:39:05
    Nameless
    +1
    My Mac has lasted me twice as long as ANY of my PCs with never a crash.
  • Kirino Nameless 2012/07/11 00:02:24 (edited)
  • Nameless Kirino 2012/07/11 00:19:35
    Nameless
    +1
    Ours are on 24/7. My mac is now 8 years old. My PCs have lasted, at most 3 years sans crash. Macs do crash on occasion, but not nearly like PCs do.
  • Kirino Nameless 2012/07/11 00:35:20
  • Nameless Kirino 2012/07/11 00:46:18 (edited)
    Nameless
    Nah, I am doing things right. Games? I couldn't care less about games. Why upgrade if it still works just fine? So I can spend more money than I need to spend? By the way, I've probably built more PCs than you think. Many more. It used to be all I used. I took VERY good care. However, when Microcrap decided to own my hard drive and made it difficult to partition- I gladly went to using mostly my Mac. I used to be an avid gamer - played WoW for 7 years. It's not worth it for me to go back to using my PC more than I use my Mac.

(Edit: Oh, and all computer parts are created to last only about 3-4 years without issues. It's part of the industry. I am just fortunate that my Mac has done so well.)
  • Kirino Nameless 2012/07/11 01:28:36
  • Bibliop... Kirino 2012/07/11 04:05:30
    Bibliophilic
    That's why you can buy a used/refurbished mac and save money. It's nice to have options when choosing between OS. Also, plenty of people choose to own both machines. I see that you're trying to insinuate that macs are for people who know nothing about computers, but that just isn't true. It's a lie that macs do not take any sort of maintenance at all- all computers do. Macs are great for anyone who works in an artistic field for the use of garage band and adobe creative suite runs extremely well on a mac.

My mac is great for getting work done, and there are now lots of games for me to play on it in my free time.
  • Kirino Bibliop... 2012/07/11 07:58:29
  • MW121 2012/07/10 21:42:50
    Apple
    MW121
    +2
    I use both systems and have for as long as I can remember... One thing is that there still stuff that I prefer to use a Mac for and some things better to be done on a PC. I can say that I rarely have issues with my MAC, it rarely crashes, it rarely gets a virus, it just works... While my PC on the other hand freezes us a lot, constantly having issues and is just frustrating at times... If I had to pick one, I'd pick Apple..
  • Emily Barrington 2012/07/10 21:22:28
    Apple
    Emily Barrington
    +3
    easy decision. Think about it, ipod touches, ipod nanos, ipads, iphones, mac book pros... The list of products by apple that are co-operative, slim and look good are endless.
  • Nameless Emily B... 2012/07/11 00:48:26
    Nameless
    +2
    And they sync so well and so easily!
  • +Harmonious Love+ 2012/07/10 21:19:39
  • ZERO +Harmon... 2012/07/11 04:51:34
    ZERO
    You own Apple stocks?
  • +Harmon... ZERO 2012/07/13 01:10:57
  • ZERO +Harmon... 2012/07/13 02:20:00
    ZERO
    Hmm, I wouldn't really call that bias, I'd call it preference. Bias would be if you had some other motive for promoting Apple besides just liking their stuff.
  • Gordon 2012/07/10 21:13:44
    Apple
    Gordon
    +2
    Apple products are more expensive, but my friends who have them prefer the higher quality. I cannot afford an Apple product at this time.
  • Nameless Gordon 2012/07/11 00:49:10
    Nameless
    +2
    Look on eBay for the last generation. They, often, go for very reasonable prices.
  • Nuke Nameless 2012/07/11 06:44:04
    Nuke
    Yeah I checked prices for old apple stuff, pretty much wound up being a little less than the new apple stuff and I don't like being ripped off buying pieces of over priced crap anyways.
  • Gordon Nameless 2012/07/11 12:07:18
  • Nuke Gordon 2012/07/11 06:42:51
    Nuke
    Higher quality? Not really
    Shinier? most defiantly
    makes for nice paper weights once the piece of crap breaks though.
    shiny cube
  • Gordon Nuke 2012/07/11 12:08:12
    Gordon
    Have you had bad luck with an apple product?
  • Nuke Gordon 2012/07/11 22:49:34
    Nuke
    +1
    I've played with enough of them to be unimpressed with their products, it's all hype by people who like to think their better than anyone else just because they have the apple brand.
    The prices of models are way too high when I can build something myself for far less that's better.
    I don't really think Apple is as great as some think it is.
  • Faith ~American Patriot~ 2012/07/10 21:10:16
    Apple
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    +4
    Love my Apple products and could never go back to Microsoft.
  • spencerc143 2012/07/10 21:09:10
    Microsoft
    spencerc143
    +1
    I havent used an apple yet.
  • Lyndzz 2012/07/10 21:01:52
    Apple
    Lyndzz
    +6
    I was always a Microsoft fan until I got Apple and now I don't understand why anyone still buys Microsoft products because Apple is amazing
  • Nuke Lyndzz 2012/07/11 06:38:24 (edited)
    Nuke
    +2
    Because we don't like to buy overly priced pieces of crap I thought that was apparent...
    I've tried Apple stuff and was unimpressed, I don't know why you people get so distracted by something shiny.
    You buy it for a crap ton of money and then you can never upgrade until they come out with a small little mod, then shell out a whole new crap ton of money just because the new model is a little shinier and slimmer than the last one.
    Apples are for anyone who can't handle a PC and don't know what the hell they're doing but still want to feel like their better than everyone else.
    Apple is shine with no substance, if you're stupid and get easily distracted Apple might just be for you.
    Apple sheeple
  • Lyndzz Nuke 2012/07/17 23:56:40
    Lyndzz
    No I have had the same mac for a couple of years now and okay, apple often change there models but at least they try to improve and don't have the same ugly computer as they had when they were first made. And that picture? It proves that apple must be doing something right if everyone's flocking there.
  • Nuke Lyndzz 2012/07/18 22:49:24
    Nuke
    No it just proves that there's a lot of morons who can't handle a PC and too many people who buy pieces of crap.
    PC owners can upgrade at any time they want, they can buy a new tower or buy piece by piece instead of having to wait and buy a whole new machine at full price and be ripped off.
    Just proves there's a sucker born every minute and you are one of the biggest I've seen...
    Sucker
  • Lyndzz Nuke 2012/07/19 15:26:35
    Lyndzz
    1) There are billions of people in the world, so I doubt you have ever 'seen' me.
    2) In your first reply, it's they're not their.
    3) That's just your opinion. Fortunately for me, I'm not still stuck in the dark ages. For what I use a computer for, Apple is a lot more practical and easy to use. Apple also looks better and more modern. I have to admit that PCs have substance, whereas Apple have substance AND looks. I believe that is 1-0 to Apple?

2014/07/23 07:55:35