Microsoft censoring Windows Live Messenger chats under guise of fighting piracy?

~ The Rebel ~ 2012/03/31 15:15:12
Piracy seems to be the favorite excuse nowadays when it comes to censorship, destroying internet freedom, and even absurdly large domestic digital surveillance operations.

Now Microsoft, one of the world’s largest corporations in the technology sector, has been actively monitoring and censoring conversations on their Windows Live Messenger program.

Even more disturbing, Microsoft now admits that they have been censoring conversations between users on Windows Live Messenger for quite a while now.

They are blocking certain links from being shared between users, one of which includes the Pirate Bay, one of the most popular and well-known file sharing websites on earth.

Interestingly, they are not only blocking the torrent tracker section of the website which enables peer-to-peer file sharing, they are also blocking a page which is devoted to completely legal file sharing.

Recently popular file sharing news site Torrent Freak discovered the block lists being used by Windows Live Messenger. Interestingly, they found that the Pirate Bay was blocked by the messenger service while other torrent tracking websites which offer the exact same copyrighted content were not.

Today Raw Story discovered that in addition to the Pirate Bay’s main page, Microsoft is also blocking something called “The Promo Bay.”

Read More: http://www.blacklistednews.com/Microsoft_censoring...

• Mel 2012/03/31 15:21:38 (edited)
    Mel
    +3
    Don't surprise me, I have internet with Century Link which used to be Sprint years ago and they block all torrents on mine. I think starting in July of this year there's supposed to be some new law take effect on this file sharing stuff, it sucks.

• Fran-Halen 2012/03/31 23:49:48
    Fran-Halen
    +1
    Argh.....that shivers me timbers. Microsoft sucks....they probably write half the viruses loose in the wild.
  • Walt 2012/03/31 19:14:53
    Walt
    +2
    Users will wise up and quit patronizing businesses and computer applications that censor them, interfere with their personal activities, or invade their privacy. (Of course, I could be wrong. People may be even worse pitiful docile sheep than I think they are.)
  • Mel 2012/03/31 15:21:38 (edited)
    Mel
    +3
  • Bozette Mel 2012/03/31 19:20:45
    Bozette
    +2
    July 12th. I'm not sure if it is a law though, my understanding was that it was a voluntary thing on the part of internet providers.

2014/07/25 03:50:49