Michelle Obama Dons a $6,800 Jacket: Does it Offend You When the First Lady Wears Expensive Clothes?

Fergie 2012/07/31 20:00:00
Michelle Obama wore an exquisite J. Mendel cap sleeve jacket to the London Olympics reception -- and there's no denying it's gorgeous -- but there is some controversy over the price: $6,800. Check out the dud... and the critical reactions in the video below!

It almost seems like the First Lady can't win because she has also been criticized for wearing "cheap" clothing, but that seems to be the status quo for females in the political world. When you see the First Lady (any First Lady) wearing expensive clothes like this, does it seem like she's flaunting her wealth like some claim. Does it offend you? Or does it go with the territory of being married to the President of the United States?

EXAMINER.COM reports:
Move over, Ann Romney. It looks like you’ve been outspent in the wardrobe department by First Lady of the United States Michelle Obama.
outspent wardrobe department lady united michelle obama president obamas barb

Read More: http://www.examiner.com/article/michelle-obama-a-6...

• J 2012/07/31 20:14:42
    J
    +27
    Only because the left made such a huge deal over Ann Romney's clothes and even Sarah Palin's.

• Dana Lawnmow... 2012/08/04 04:49:11
    Dana
    yeah..... you actually believe this? Wonder who copied, pasted, conjured that one up? You people make me sick, it is one thing after another with you nuts... you make crap up, you lie non stop, and then you just plain continue and pretend it is all real! it isn't! You people are insane!
  • Mikado ... right-c... 2012/08/04 22:47:32
    Mikado Hikyuu
    +1
    i would say that you have made some incredible claims that lack any proof at all. But from your own writing what is in evidence is that you have a hatred for Mrs. Obama that is based on false information. What is not known is if you are spreading the lies from your own imagination or if you took your opinion from some other misinformation peddler?
  • Mikado Hikyuu 2012/08/02 16:04:07
    Mikado Hikyuu
    +3
    How many of you would be surprised to discover that the expensive clothing was LOANED to Mrs. Obama for the event?! Just as fashion models and celebrities are often loaned designer originals to wear at gala events where the cameras will be flashing, Mrs. Obama was loaned the jacket to wear for the special occasion.

The exact same people who have been insulting Mrs. Obama for wearing simple cheap clothes during the whole Obama presidency are now screaming as if she were the Imelda Marcos of jackets - it is a lie. One more stupid false attack from these idiots who will scream about any thing if they think it will further their cause against Obama.

Grow up. These same whiners would be whining still if she came to the event wearing cross trainers and sweat pants like she often does wear.

This is a non-issue.
  • sandra.... Mikado ... 2012/08/02 18:04:42
    sandra.hemmes
    Michelle does not dress like a President's wife. Look at history.
  • Mikado ... sandra.... 2012/08/02 18:16:27
    Mikado Hikyuu
    +2
    i would say that she generally dresses like the average housewife. i have seen her appearing on every thing from online advertising to short health infomercials on the Disney channel, to The View, and seen her few appearances on the news when the coverage was about her husband - she dresses plain, clean, and quite conservative 90% of the time. The other 10% has been official functions and she dresses up - and she SHOULD dress up for such things. Maybe turn this question around.. how would you feel if the first lady dressed in cheap off-the-rack rags for meetings with foreign dignitaries and the international press? These people who attack Mrs. Obama for her clothes attack her regardless of what she wears.. they complain either way. so really then as i wrote this is a non-issue. It is just the haters hating with no rationale - again.
  • sandra.... Mikado ... 2012/08/08 16:03:56
    sandra.hemmes
    I am an analytical person, not a hate person, and also I am a professional seamstress and know what looks good on people and what does not. That is my business. Mrs. Obama has no taste in clothes. She is an educated woman and should know by now what the position of "First Lady" means, and it is how she looks for the cameroas. She is disrespectful of the position by the way she dresses.
  • Mikado ... sandra.... 2012/08/09 18:29:06
    Mikado Hikyuu
    being a professional seamstress would certainly indicate that you have a very distinct opinion of what YOU think looks good on people.. and maybe even some people will choose you to sew their clothes if they appreciate YOUR personal style and YOUR ideas of what is and is not good taste in clothes. But your fashion sense is only one of literally millions, and completely subjective, not objective at all. Most of the time what Mrs. Obama wears just screams soccer mom. What people should consider is that the first lady is dressing mostly exactly how she did BEFORE her husband took office. Maybe the point she is trying to make is that her position has not changed her - has this thought not occurred to any one else yet? She only seems to dress up on certain occasions where it is socially required of her.
  • EM sandra.... 2012/08/03 08:07:23
    EM
    Sandra you just sound like an envious old hag,get over it,grow up and go get a life..whine,whine,whine,geez...
  • mpurkays Mikado ... 2012/08/04 10:12:45
    mpurkays
    If this is true - that the jacket was a loan - I would feel much better about it. While I don't agree with every single choice Obama has made as president, overall he has done very well given the huge mess he inherited from the Bush years. I believe he is by far the best candidate for the job right now. I support Obama politically and have contributed to his campaign the bit that I could afford. I would feel better knowing money isn't being wasted either by the campaign or from the Obamas' personal funds, when so many in our nation are struggling.
    Thanks for your input! It is a shame if the right wing propaganda machine put out a blatant lie about a jacket in order to erode support for Obama. A shame, but not a surprise given the mass production of lies from that camp.
  • Lana Riley-Brown 2012/08/02 15:43:25
    Lana Riley-Brown
    She was representing the USA, what would you like her to wear ? If I had the money to buy it you better believe I would wear the same thing. If you have it then flaunt it ! Shall we talk about Mrs. Bush, Palin and Reagan. They used our tax dollars but never heard a word from you nut jobs. Maybe you would like her to wear something from WalMart where you buy you rags from China made in a sweat shop !
  • sandra.... Lana Ri... 2012/08/02 18:06:22
    sandra.hemmes
    Her styles are the issue. She could wear clothes that are better suited for her. She dresses like she is a hick, you know - poor mountain folk with no education.
  • SunnyOne Lana Ri... 2012/08/02 18:18:07
    SunnyOne
    Bush, Palin, and Reagan aren't black, you know. :)
  • EM SunnyOne 2012/08/03 08:10:33
    EM
    Meaning???Do you care to elaborate..
  • Darlene Marois 2012/08/02 15:28:45
    Darlene Marois
    +2
    It reminds me of Marie Antoinette when she said "Let them eat cake" These people have to be careful. To be stylishly dressed is one thing, but to say to the common people-- look what I can wear,eat, do --because I have money, is another thing entirely. AND she didn't even earn her position!!!!!!
  • sandra.... Darlene... 2012/08/02 18:07:15
    sandra.hemmes
    The "Let them eat cake" was referred to letting the poor french people eat their kids. Read up on it.
  • Dawn Darlene... 2012/08/03 16:09:26
    Dawn
    She never actually said that. She was a snob but didn't say a lot of things that the media of her day said she did.
  • Hawk 2012/08/02 13:57:47
    Hawk
    +1
    Money is not an object for obama our tax dollars have no limits. However money or clothes do not make class. She is classless and will never have any.
  • EM Hawk 2012/08/03 08:12:01
    EM
    So are you for writing such rubbish...Prat
  • Hawk EM 2012/08/05 00:16:04
    Hawk
    I say it like it is. Does that offend you???
  • Kranky 2012/08/02 13:22:40 (edited)
    Kranky
    It doesn't offend me when she wears expensive clothing as out First Lady she represents the USA, but there is a difference between expensive and the cost of this jacket, especially when Ann Romney gets grief for wearing something that cost $990.00. At least Ann Romney bought her own jacket, our tax money paid for Mrs. Obama's.
  • sandra.... Kranky 2012/08/02 18:08:48
    sandra.hemmes
    We are talking about Michelle and that stupid jacket. She needs to get help with what styles look best on her, no matter the cost, for after all, she is the President's Wife. He has fine suits, she has dumb styles that do not do her figure any favors.
  • NUCKLED... Kranky 2012/08/03 08:06:51
    NUCKLEDRAGGER
    Where did you learn the tax payers paid for the jacket?
  • EM Kranky 2012/08/03 08:14:17
    EM
    How do you know that,please stop being stupid,get your facts right before posting ignorant fact-less statements on here..
  • C. C. Rider 2012/08/02 12:53:29
  • linebacker3 2012/08/02 11:37:30
    linebacker3
    +1
    It offends me when the media makes a big deal out of what Romney makes and what his wife wears, but say nothing about the money Michelle spends on EVERYTHING !!!!
  • MikeWon 2012/08/02 10:55:46
  • mpurkays 2012/08/02 10:16:28
    mpurkays
    I know the Obama's are wealthy, so the $6,800 jacket is likely bought from her own expenses. It would be HIGHLY offensive if public funds were used (taxpayer money). But, it still offends me because of the extravagance of the expense, while our country has so many struggling right now... It's not a $680 jacket, which I think would be reasonable for her position as first lady, but a six THOUSAND eight hundred dollar jacket!!! That's enough to pay for a much needed surgery for a child in a family that can't afford health insurance right now. I don't think Michelle should wear cheap clothes to an international event, nor do I think she should be spending several thousands on a single piece of clothing, out of deference to the millions in America who are struggling and the administration's stated goals of helping the country get back on its feet. I also feel a bit personally betrayed because I just donated to the Obama campaign July 31st in a response to emails to beat the FEC deadline. I could not really afford the small donation, but I made it because I want a president who I believe cares about the "Middle" and "Lower" classes in America, and the economy as a whole; unlike Romney, whose cares will pander to the wealthy. Although the president, like any other man, cannot really ...
    I know the Obama's are wealthy, so the $6,800 jacket is likely bought from her own expenses. It would be HIGHLY offensive if public funds were used (taxpayer money). But, it still offends me because of the extravagance of the expense, while our country has so many struggling right now... It's not a $680 jacket, which I think would be reasonable for her position as first lady, but a six THOUSAND eight hundred dollar jacket!!! That's enough to pay for a much needed surgery for a child in a family that can't afford health insurance right now. I don't think Michelle should wear cheap clothes to an international event, nor do I think she should be spending several thousands on a single piece of clothing, out of deference to the millions in America who are struggling and the administration's stated goals of helping the country get back on its feet. I also feel a bit personally betrayed because I just donated to the Obama campaign July 31st in a response to emails to beat the FEC deadline. I could not really afford the small donation, but I made it because I want a president who I believe cares about the "Middle" and "Lower" classes in America, and the economy as a whole; unlike Romney, whose cares will pander to the wealthy. Although the president, like any other man, cannot really control how much his wife spends on clothing, I still think it's a bit insulting to me to solicit my hard-earned dollars and the hard-earned dollars of countless other supporters who pinch their family budget to make their contributions, when perhaps another $6,000 could have been contributed to the campaign by his spouse in lieu of her jacket purchase (and save the remaining $800 for the jacket!).
  • oldlady 2012/08/02 10:00:14
  • Catnip "Guru" ∞ 2012/08/02 08:27:21
    Catnip "Guru" ∞
    +3
    As long as it's her money and not ours, she can wear any overpriced rag she wants.

If it's taxpayer dollars, then it would be a different story.
  • Hawk Catnip ... 2012/08/02 14:01:42
    Hawk
    +1
    You must be kidding if its tax payers money????
  • Catnip ... Hawk 2012/08/04 00:21:35
    Catnip "Guru" ∞
    Well, I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt.
  • Hawk Catnip ... 2012/08/05 00:18:07
    Hawk
    In this case no doubt needed. She is what she is.
  • Catnip ... Hawk 2012/08/05 00:33:37
    Catnip "Guru" ∞
    Very well. Like Marie Antionette, OFF WITH HER HEAD!
  • pizzaman7 2012/08/02 07:55:52
    pizzaman7
    +2
    but it is in extremely bad taste since so many people are hurting. she is the ruling class.

Moochelle is out of touch with the rest of us. snobbish 1%er.

don't liberals make comments about Palin and Ann Romney ?
  • Red Rage 2012/08/02 07:23:43
    Red Rage
    +2
    But Michelle Obama, herself, and her NEW WORLD ORDER patsy husband offend me.
  • Ameera 2012/08/02 07:08:11
    Ameera
    dont care
  • Betty 2012/08/02 06:53:35
    Betty
    +2
    The woman is attending an event in a foreign country, where she is a guest, our First Lady representing the United States. What do they want her to wear? One of her outfits from Target or J. Crew? It only offends the Conservatives who want one more thing to kvetch about!
  • Sherlock Dog BL - a Gazillion 2012/08/02 06:48:17
  • joe price 2012/08/02 06:44:56
    joe price
    +2
    the jacket is beautiful but what does offend me is the mere fact that her half breed imposter husband paid for this jacket with most likely illegal drug smuggling funds that he, hillary and holder along with the bush/crime syndicate reap from the largest united states drug smuggling operation in history and congress has yet to bring up this part 2 episode of fast and furious.............unbelivable huh?
  • sandra.... joe price 2012/08/02 18:11:33
    sandra.hemmes
    Awesome and so true.

2014/09/21 22:19:50