Mexicans and Native Americans: same or different?

stevegtexas@aol.com 2011/08/31 14:59:00
Related Topics: Mexican, Americans
are mexicans and native americans from the same familia? If so, why do we call them mexicans?

• Nino Brown 2013/05/28 20:41:29
    Nino Brown
    +3
    Im african no matter what continent im on. Im still black in america. Same for mexicans and people who come from a European dominated county of the past.

• Carlos Gonzalez Barrios 2014/08/07 17:49:55
    Carlos Gonzalez Barrios
    +2
    The Mexica were people you might otherwise know as the aztecs. They were a nomadic tribe coming from Aztlán (the land of the cranes) who established themselves in the lake Texcoco, where they found the city of Mexico-Tenochtitlán. Since then, the aztecs began calling themselves Mexica (meh - she - kah) and became an empire that conquered other civilizations in Mesoamérica. When the spaniards conquered this piece of land that is now a country, they called it after the most famous city in the place at that time, and that was Mexico, which means the "lake in the navel of the moon". So mexican is an arbitrary name, considering that there were other smaller countries such as the teenek, the totonacs, the mixtec, the otomi, the tarascan, the zapotec, the mayans and the nomadic tribes which lived in the deserts up north.
  • Nino Brown 2013/05/28 20:41:29
    Nino Brown
    +3
  • Nino Brown 2013/05/28 20:38:32
    Nino Brown
    If it wasn't for Europe we would be having this conversation.....if your mexican, your indian plain and simple. Before that u where Aztec, Incas etc......
  • chevyaz... Nino Brown 2013/07/26 17:12:54
    chevyazteca
    +3
    no , indian are from asia ,im native of the central continent ( modern day name central america) your race was dominated as by europe but europe was dominated by arabians too, we all have
  • Nino Brown chevyaz... 2013/08/21 17:50:30
    Nino Brown
    Indians are Asian really....
  • Jack 2013/05/21 22:12:26
    Jack
    +3
    I like Maria's answers. Clear, precise and thoughtout with research. Everything else is rhetoric. Some of you writing on this blog may call it smack or bs.
  • ignacio Jack 2014/06/16 08:01:46
    ignacio
    +1
    That's because you are white and have no idea what your talking about either.
  • rico.wilcox.3 2013/05/05 22:45:13
    rico.wilcox.3
    +2
    Question on that I'm Cherokee as well but I'm a mix of African American ...so your saying I could have a European background..or ??
  • Dead Beyond Koncern 2013/02/01 07:26:39
    Dead Beyond Koncern
    +3
    We are Mestizos you can't just say we are one or the other because we are a mix of indian and European that simple.
  • Marla 2012/10/29 08:07:20
    Marla
    +2
    Yes, native americans were here all alone for about 14,000 years. That includes usa and mexico, which is called north america. Then you have all of south america, including puerto rico, cuba. Doesnt matter what tribe you are in, aztec, inca, apache, cherokee, you were all hunters, corn farmers, Indians etc... And before countries were named like USA and MEXICO, you are all indians, my husband who is white couldnt tell the difference between an Indian and a mexican, its because your the same, and if you dont believe history or paid attention in school you would know that. And if you want genetic proof, National Geographic did a DNA test on your ancestry, your all 80 percent indian, doesnt matter what tribe, and 20 percent white. The only reason your called hispanic because you have some spanish influence, you speak spanish because when spain discovered america and south america etc... Mexico is a country, thats why youre called mexicans, but blood wise your indian with a lil spanish or white etc..all hispanics are genitically related all the way to puerto rico, because of the indian blood in you, some of your food might be a little different, but its kind of the same too. Even indians of america have a corn tortilla, beans etc, but dont speak spanish because of the British, they spoke english, thats why some indians speak english. So you shouldnt fight or think your better than other Hispanics or indians, your the same blood.
  • gustabo... Marla 2013/01/08 00:29:08
    gustabo.gimenes
    +11
    Cherokees have been tested and its been proven theyre actualy from an old group from Europe so its not the same thing as the other indigenous people.
  • Sam Harris gustabo... 2013/04/25 14:06:15
    Sam Harris
    +2
    that is a load of hog wash. If you knew the history of the cherokee you would know they intermarried a lot with the white settlers in America! :p
  • Nino Brown Sam Harris 2013/05/28 20:33:33
    Nino Brown
    +3
    U mean raped...thats y we have light skinned Africans.
  • chevyaz... Marla 2013/07/26 17:09:26
    chevyazteca
    +3
    you were doing good until you said hispanic, wrong, were not hispanic were not latino, Hispanic is a spanish stamped, thats had the old roman language name the spanish, we were stamped that european label to delete in our minds that we are natives, same goes with latino thats what the romans call themselves which some italians still are refer as !
  • Ryon Bu... Marla 2013/08/13 06:17:20
  • Ryon Bu... Ryon Bu... 2013/08/13 06:28:28
  • ignacio Marla 2014/06/16 08:05:06
    ignacio
    +1
    You are so wrong!!!!!
    Mexico is made up of a majority of mestizos with an average genetic makeup of 60%european and 40% Native American. Not too mention African heritage of 3-5% is common.

1/6 of people in mexico are 100%european.
    Don't spread the word if you don't know it.
  • Nathan Amador 2012/03/19 10:37:50 (edited)
    Nathan Amador
    +2
    I'm not really sure what I am. Not sure if Im Mexican or Native or both, cause I have 3 tribes: Cherokee, Comanche and Yaqui. Yaqui a tribe from Mexico, soooo am I Mexican Native, American Native?? People say I look more Native American than Mexican, and the fact my last name is Mexican....soooo I dont know.
  • Marla Nathan ... 2012/10/29 08:19:10
    Marla
    +3
    All three tribes are indian, same blood, Indian. Before eruopeans invaded mexico, all of north and south america were populated with indians, when the spanish raped and mingled with the indians, they taught them spanish and culture, thats why you have a spanish last name, indians didnt have last names, so they were given to them by spain, take a look at Garcia, youl find that last name all the way to puerto rico. So genetically majority of mexicans are 80 percent indian and 20 spanish or european. So an Indian is an indian dont matter what tribe your in. Same for usa indians, they speak english cuz of the british.
  • ignacio Marla 2014/06/16 07:59:12 (edited)
  • Sam Harris Nathan ... 2013/04/25 14:07:57
    Sam Harris
    Yaqui are also a federal tribe in arizona as well as a tribe in Mexico so you are mexican indian along with indian from the usa. So in other words you are totally native american! lol
  • Zammo 2011/09/01 20:27:44 (edited)
    Zammo
    +2
    There are also "Native Mexicans" - the Maya, Aztec, etc. who were there before the Spanish invaded.
  • stevegt... Zammo 2011/09/02 21:41:42
  • stevegt... Zammo 2011/10/15 15:26:54
  • MetaLhaid Zammo 2011/10/17 16:22:54
    MetaLhaid
    +1
    Good point. Those indigenous people were collectively called "mestizos" by their Spanish overlords.
  • Zammo MetaLhaid 2011/10/17 18:56:10 (edited)
    Zammo
    I have a friend in the Yucatan whose grandparents came from Spain. They bought lots of land and started a large farming business. Their son(my friend's father) fell in love with a Mayan woman and married her. They were not happy but finally accepted her. Then, when my friend was 18, he told them he was gay and his father and grandparents told him they never wanted to see him again. His mother continued to send him money in secret until he had enough training to get a good job. I told him he should write for one of those Mexican TV dramas!
  • MetaLhaid Zammo 2011/10/18 02:32:32
    MetaLhaid
    +1
    Pobrecito!! ;-) That IS a great story. You're not kidding that he should write!! I have heard that story several times over (I work at a college) and my heart goes out to those poor kids... it's the Catholic in them that makes them so hard on their families if they don't toe the line. Good luck to your friend!
  • Dmcromance Zammo 2011/10/24 18:45:01
    Dmcromance
    +1
    I am Mexican Indian. I have Zaputeca and Mayo Mexican Indian in my blood thanks to my daddy. :) He is fully Mexican. My Mom is half. They were both born in Mexico. My mom looks completely white though. My dad is just brown, plain and simple. Haha.
  • Zammo Dmcromance 2011/10/24 18:47:53
    Zammo
    Yeah, I think it's strange that a lot of Americans seem to think Mexicans are all the same color when we certainly are not!
  • Dmcromance Zammo 2011/10/24 18:51:01
    Dmcromance
    +1
    Oh, boy, no! They definitely arent. I am MUCH MUCH MUCH lighter than my dad and browner than my mother. Race and Nationality should NEVER be based on just physical appearance. My mom has green eye and light skin. My dad has dark brown eyes and dark skin. I am a mixture of both. I have mid brown eyes though. And long brown hair! I definitely LOOK mexican but dont look like i cam from mexico. Haha... genetics are complicated.
  • Lady Wh... Dmcromance 2012/01/23 09:56:05
    cool!
  • Sam Harris Zammo 2013/04/25 14:08:58
    Sam Harris
    +1
    They are north american indians, the only thing that divides us are borders :p
  • cutter's falls 2011/09/01 16:37:30
  • Liset Gonzalez Veliz 2011/09/01 15:33:58
    Liset Gonzalez Veliz
    Isn't the girl following you around to sit next to you at every meal you said she is a Native american? Then she changes and starts speaking Mexican? Why does she keep her nationality a secret? Why does she want you feeling SORRY for her when I am the one she wants to hurt and send to the hospital?
  • stevegt... Liset G... 2011/09/01 16:27:33
  • stevegt... Liset G... 2011/10/15 15:27:36
  • Dmcromance Liset G... 2011/10/24 18:46:35
    Dmcromance
    +1
    Nobody "speaks Mexican". Wtf? ;/
  • Sam Harris Dmcromance 2013/04/25 14:11:59
    Sam Harris
    +2
    lol no they don't you are right that is hella funny though who ever said that cause it's just plain ignorance right there!
  • chevyaz... Dmcromance 2013/07/26 16:59:32
    chevyazteca
    +1
    i speak mexican (nahautl) a lil, in fact when you say Mexico, you in fact speaking mexican (nahautl) , most names , chapulin is also the language, most named thing that end with te are mexican language
  • chevyaz... Liset G... 2013/07/26 16:55:19
    chevyazteca
    +1
    define speaking mexican? was she speaking nahautl? nahautl is the mexica (aztec) name, is she was then you are correct! but if she was speaking spanish ( the name gives it aways) its from spains! so can you please let us know what you mean she spoke mexican? how could you tell? know either to specify or distiguish the laangueges ?

2014/08/20 04:31:24