Meth House Leaves Family Sick: Should the previous owner get the death sentence?

Mr. T 2009/07/14 19:44:26
Yes, the previous owner, the meth lab maker, should be sentenced to death.
No, just leave the meth lab maker in jail, for life.
The house was filled with meth, leaving the family sick? I think...
A family in Tennessee has been plagued with buying an old meth house without knowing it. Weeks after the Holt family moved into their new home, the whole family starting becoming sick. The children started to have breathing problems, calling for respirators, the dog started having seizures, and mother got migraines, the father's kidneys were in trouble, and one toddler had to take steroids. The Holt family didn't know why, until they found a meth lab of suplies in their attic. It was going to cost $30,000 to have the house cleaned from any meth residue left from the previous owner, and no one was willing to pay for it. Unfortunately, the previous owner is in jail...

• karmadrome 2009/07/15 18:16:27
    karmadrome
    +2
    Their government failed them again. So you can get fined for throwing a napkin out the window, because it will ruin the environment, but it allows an old meth lab to be deemed suitable for living? Come on now, someone other than the criminal knew this was a meth lab. If "they" have to disclose if a murder happened in the house, then "they" should disclose if the house was used as a meth lab. I'd be suing everyone in the food chain of the sale for this.

Although, I would be wondering how the home inspector missed it. I mean, the inspector should have been in the attic as part of the inspection.

• NoMoreBS 2009/08/04 14:45:05
    NoMoreBS
    Who ever thought of a home inspection? We always want to blame someone for not being prudent.
  • Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, US... 2009/07/29 18:28:16
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    ..nobody deserves the death penalty. One thing Combat would teach you all - life is too precious for you to take it. If killing a killer would bring back the victim, I would be on the list to beat a killer to death with a Bat. But it won't. Columbine happened necause we teach our kids, if we don't like what people do, it is okay to kill them. Think about it.
    These people do deserve a strong sentence, say 10 years.
  • KuroiKenshi 2009/07/25 18:50:51
    KuroiKenshi
    The guy is already in jail. There is no reason to kill him.
  • samantha 2009/07/20 01:54:00
    samantha
    DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • bdb 2009/07/19 06:37:33
    bdb
    When the meth lab creator was caught and sentenced then the law enforcement agency SHOULD HAVE condemned the house and demolished it, PERIOD! Anytime and anywhere meth is created illagally, the residue permiates everything, from sheetrock, metal, wood, furniture, appliances and the heating/ac unit. It cannot be cleaned anyway. I live in Arkansas and we DO CONDEMN AND DEMOLISH ANY METH HOUSE. I believe the Tennessee city/county/state should assist this family with its health care and the tearing down of the "torture chamber" and help them rebuild on this property.
  • NoMoreBS bdb 2009/08/04 14:47:20
    NoMoreBS
    +1
    Yeah I think you're right.
  • bdb NoMoreBS 2009/08/04 16:49:06
  • La 2009/07/17 15:02:08
    La
    it took them weeks to discover it? they didn't know that the previous owner was in jail? sounds rather dodgy to me....but no, there's no way that the meth lab maker deserves the death sentence. sure, he made them sick, but he didn't kill them =/
  • Poppins 2009/07/16 04:18:52
    Poppins
    +1
    Better check things out before buying.....no one knew it was a meth house...learn when buying a house to check it from top to bottom....
  • Boo 2009/07/15 19:18:19
    Boo
    +1
    Certainly the previous owner should be held liable and ordered to pay restitution to this family. Can't see what good sentencing him to death would do! It won't make the new owner's family well or compensate them in any way. There may be other remedies for this family. They should check with the Environmental Protection Agency. If they bought the home through a realtor who failed to disclose this and have it cleaned up before sale, and/or certified it in any way, they should pursue all avenues to recover the cost of clean up and their health care cost, or punitive damages.
  • NoMoreBS Boo 2009/08/04 14:50:29
    NoMoreBS
    Yeah OK. ..Your car gives off fumes that are harmful to me.. I want to collect punitive damages from you , your petro provider, the manufacture of you car and the local government for allowing this to happen. I will settle for 1million.
    The point is you would be chasing a ghost.
  • Boo NoMoreBS 2009/09/30 16:14:46
    Boo
    Methamphetamine is a little different from auto emissions. I live in an area that requires emissions testing in order to register my vehicle. My husband couldn't sue for a staph infection that almost killed him and has left him permanently disabled. That is just wrong. If you want to get into tort reform you are really getting into a murky area. When individuals have no recourse for negligence (as in my husband's case) then we are in real trouble because there will be no incentive for improvement of whatever the problem is and it will only become a more wide spread problem because there is no consequence. This is a criminal act and restitution is a consequence of criminal behavior that is a deterant and makes total sense.
  • NoMoreBS Boo 2009/09/30 21:40:30
    NoMoreBS
    We don't know the details of your husband's case and I dont really care to know. My statement is firm , I do not believe that civil litigation is the best method for handling problems. If you made a choice stand by it and suffer the consequences of those decisions.
    Lets say I go eat a sushi restaurant and I am allergic to crab but I order a selection of food that contains crab. Upon eating I start to experience aphletic shock. So I am rushed to the hospital upon release I receive a huge bill for my visit. I sue the restaurant for the bill , attorney fees and time from work. Subsequently the restaurant increases it prices to recover from the lawsuit and now everyone suffers.

Your proported statement would cause everyone to suffer and that is not being a mature adult.
  • Boo NoMoreBS 2009/10/01 22:22:55
    Boo
    Eating sushi probably isn't being a mature adult. I assume you mean anaphylactic shock.

My husband's surgery was not elective. He would have been paralyzed for life without surgery and he certainly did not deserve a staph infection due to negligence on the part of hospital personnel. I disagree with you. What is really NOT mature is hospitals and physicians not taking responsibility for their mistakes or taking steps to avoid cross-contamination, etc. We've known how to avoid infection since the early part of the 20th century, but our healthcare personnel have become careless. People who are harmed due to negligence should not have to sue, but instead of not billing the patient in such a circumstance, until the law changed last year, they made more money due to their negligence. Believe me, in such situations people should sue to recover damages, because those who are negligent will not voluntarily offer a settlement which would cost them a lot less in the long run. We have a nation of greedy professionals preying on the public who make a lot less money than they do. Think about it. It's not just about healthcare costs and malpractice insurance premiums, etc., it's about character and practicing according to the Hypocratic Oath. Had the AMA not encouraged doctors to disregard that oath in the 80's, healthcare would not be in the shape it is!
  • karmadrome 2009/07/15 18:16:27
    karmadrome
    +2

• glo 2009/07/15 04:03:25
    glo
    A house with a history like that should have been distoryed and no one should have been allowed to live in that house, or build on that property for years, that stuff is deadly.
  • Scruffy 2009/07/15 02:26:22
    Scruffy
    If they purchased the house and this wasn't disclosed, the Realtor is also responsible. (They have errors and omissions insurance to cover things like this.)
  • KDRealtor Scruffy 2009/08/13 20:12:04
    KDRealtor
    +1
    Actually the Realtor would only be responsible if he/she knew it had been a meth house and concealed this information. Often times the Realtor has no knowledge as to the background of the house.
    that the previous owner should pay for the cleanup!
  • Poet003 2009/07/14 23:13:13
    Poet003
    He should probably just get life in prision if he was a
    user too.The dude was too stoned out of his mind to know
    what he was doing.
  • Sandy 2009/07/14 22:50:42
    Sandy
    I am all fore ridding our society of such... and I wouldn't pay taxes to keep 'em alive in prison....
  • Pjayee~American Patriot~Jus... 2009/07/14 22:01:54
    Pjayee~American Patriot~Just gimme some truth
    There are laws covering disclosure. The family needs a lawyer..and the owner can spend the rest of his life in prison
  • sydneewashere☮ 2009/07/14 21:52:15
    sydneewashere☮
    Yeah, sucks for them, but the previous owner getting sentenced to death? I think not
  • bamsocal 2009/07/14 20:45:52
    bamsocal
    +2
    Unfortunately, the previous owner is in jail? that's suppose to be a good thing, right? or it is unfortunate that the owner is in jail and therefore can not pay ($30,000) for the clean up of the house? not sure about the death penalty, however leave him in there!
  • DRLJR 2009/07/14 20:37:11
    DRLJR
    The history of the prior owner should have been revealed prior to the house being bought.

So if the Realtor knew and did not reveal it they should be obligated. If not the current home owner's insurance should cover it. If not due to the policy the house sounds like it qualifies as a super-fund site and the money that is reserved for those clean-ups used.

If the previous owner has any money the current owners should be allowed to sue him and force him to pay for the cost of clean-up and all associated medical bills. After all the person who should be held responsible is the previous owner who is in jail.

If the money the criminal had has been seized by the State the State should pay for the clean-up out of the seized money and used to pay for the medical care.
  • Daveman 2009/07/14 20:23:39
    Daveman
    it depends if they had an inspection before their home purchase. They should be liable if they did not have one. If they did, the inspector should take some liability. It is a sad story but they decided to buy the house. Even if they did not know, the inspection should have found it. The previous owner can or should be liable for not disclosing accurate information about the home during his residence but they wont get anything from him as he has no money and is in jail. Sad story...
  • zman 2009/07/14 20:10:45
    zman
    I think all parties involved should be held accountable.... The family moving in should have had higher standards of living first of all and second of all they should have noticed and acted upon the smell that making meth leaves in a house. This smell is VERY strong... The previous owners should be held accountable to a certain extent and that is they should be held accountable for making the meth..... They should not be held accountable for the people getting sick... This is why you get an inspection done and set your standards of living..... If I sell you a car that I am aware that has a gas leak and you don't do your job to inspect the car and it blows up on you causing you 3rd degree burns all over is that my fault? No, it is your fault for not inspecting the vehicle before you purchase it.... It is a dog eat dog world and so before you make a purchase that will effect the next 30 years of your life you had better make sure it is the right one!
  • DRLJR zman 2009/07/14 20:41:28
    DRLJR
    Actually in many states, such as Maryland, the seller is responsible for having a car inspected prior to selling the car. In fact selling a car that has not passed inspection is a crime and the seller is liable for anything that happens.

The house may have been aired out and the smell not obvious.
  • greg 2009/07/14 20:09:32
    greg
    This should be cleaned by the local hazmat team and paid for by the county; I worked on a few raids involving Meth houses and they are an enviromental hazard and need to be taken care of by local gov; who know what other dangers are in this house. The local gov should decide who to bill for service -- not the poor family that moved into the house.
  • socokid 2009/07/14 20:01:47
    socokid
    +2
    The real estate agent, the inspector and the lawyers should all be getting a call from THEIR lawyer in 3... 2...
  • Blistful 2009/07/14 19:57:33
    Blistful
    I am sorry to say that they are stuck with the bill of payment for the cleanup of the meth. Life really does Suck!!
  • belle 2009/07/14 19:55:07
    belle
    What about the inspection of it? Any disclosure inf provided by the owner or realtor. Some one needs to pay and answer for this horrible thing that has happened to the family.
  • toesdooletle 2009/07/14 19:51:29
    toesdooletle
    +1
    Realators should be held accountable as well.The house should be deemed paid for.
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2009/07/14 19:50:39

2014/12/20 17:17:19