Men Are More Attracted to Female Friends Than Women Are to Guy Friends: Have You Ever Been Attracted to a Friend?

It's the age-old question: Can a man and a woman just be friends? A new study suggests that they can't -- at least as far as the guy is concerned. Men are more sexually interested in their female friends than their female friends are in them, LiveScience reports.

Not only are guys more likely to pine for their platonic female pals, but they're also more likely than gals to think their friends are romantically interested in them, too, even if they aren't. "Men over-infer women's sexual interest in a variety of contexts, and I definitely see that extending into the domain of cross-sex friendships as well," study researcher April Bleske-Rechek, a psychologist at the University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire, told LiveScience.

However, being attracted to your BFF isn't always such pleasant experience (as many of us have learned the hard way). Study participants were much more likely to list attraction as a "cost" rather than a benefit of their opposite-sex friendship (though men were less likely to see it this way than women).

What do you think? Is being attracted to your friend a recipe for disaster? Or could it possibly lead to love?

• RoseyRhod 098765 2012/05/08 09:33:05
    RoseyRhod
    +3
    Racist much? Hope you've ironed your white sheet for tonight's KKK meeting.
  • 098765 RoseyRhod 2012/05/08 10:53:30
    098765
    oh
  • Mandy 098765 2012/05/08 12:56:05
    Mandy
    +1
    Why does it matter what color two people are?
  • 098765 Mandy 2012/05/08 18:06:33
    098765
    you'd never get it. look up arguments against multiculturalism and miscegenation if you like.
  • Mandy 098765 2012/05/08 19:09:49
    Mandy
    +1
    If you can't argue your own case, you're not worth arguing with.
  • Brian M Mandy 2012/05/09 00:43:59
    Brian M
    +1
    This is the case. Whites are a global minority. And in every white country in the world, there is mass immigration, diluting of our populations, killings of white, which is never covered by the media, and in the media and commercial culture, there is a constant stream of pressure to girls for them to date and have children with blacks.

This is genocide by the UN definition. And that picture is just one of the propaganda techniques they use.

I tell you what. Open up a JC Penny flyer you get in the mail one time. Go to the children's section. Look at the photographs. Notice how they almost always pair the little girls up with black boys, while the white boys are either by themselves or with another boy.

They do this because girls, and females in general, are very susceptible to this kind of propaganda. And if our women stop producing white children, then we are finished.
  • Mandy Brian M 2012/05/09 01:48:44
    Mandy
    +1
    The effort to be more inclusive of minorities in advertising is white genocide to you? Where are the reports of the mass killings of white people? And why does it matter if white people have offspring with people of other skin colors? We're all of the same race--human!
  • 098765 Mandy 2012/05/09 06:53:46
    098765
    while i'm not convinced quite to the extent as brian of an anti-white movement, and my interests are not purely in the 'white race', i think it's obvious that america is in a very poor state due in large part to this fanatic emphasis on minority over-representation and on mixing and diluting cultures and on destroying racial boundaries. human is a species, not a race. do you really want a world where we all belong to the same race and culture? there's far too many of us not to separate and organise ourselves and maintain diversity in the world.

it's also a fact i believe that media in america and the UK do not generally cover anti-white offenses or assaults against white people in favour of covering those against blacks or muslims. in the post-industrial age we've really let these notions of egalitarianism and integration and democracy get away from us and are taking them to dangerous extremes. we're surrounded by propoganda, whether we believe it or not, and whether or not the propgandisers are conscious of it or not (they usually are not). it's almost like being a communist during the 50s in america.
  • Mandy 098765 2012/05/09 13:47:44
    Mandy
    +1
    I think it is certainly possible that the media is overly sensitive to cultural issues. If that is the case, media outlets are probably overcompensating for past prejudices--trying too hard to "make things right" as it were. However, as for your concern about "mixing races," evolutionarily-speaking, we are all of the same race. Skin color is just like eye color or hair color. It's a genetic variable. We are all members of the human race. Sure, there are many cultures, but I see no reason to prevent people of different cultures from mating. I think it's better to bring people together than to divide them. The more we understand each other, the more we can celebrate our similarities and accept each others' differences.
  • 098765 Mandy 2012/05/09 15:21:22
    098765
    the more we bring ourselves together, the less differences we have. i'm not at all convinced that the inital conflict is worth it, or that people wouldn't eventually divide into groups again anyway. better to keep the divisions we already have. we can't all be in the same group unless we evolve into another being, especially in the numbers in which we inhabit the earth. race is not all that important in biological terms, perhaps, but the importance of culture is not a biological matter. it's a human invention that requires restraint and careful thinking to maintain. it's not something that we can leave to nature. nature may not care about skin colours, but we should, as it's an important component of culture and group homogeneity -- not one homogenous human group, but many interesting and specialised homogenous groups -- divisions which enrich human existence.
  • Mandy 098765 2012/05/09 15:35:15
    Mandy
    +1
    But cultures evolve all the time--even within themselves. Change is constant in the world. I think you're creating a problem out of something that isn't one and worrying too much about an issue out of our control. It's really not up to us who other people mate with. But I do agree that with the sheer number of humans on the Earth, there will be great differences among us. I just don't see why the differences we now have are more desirable than any others that may arise.
  • Brian M Mandy 2012/05/10 00:55:55
    Brian M
    Ahh, yes, that old cliche that has brainwashed children for years. There is only one race!

No, there is a species. Humans are a species. Races are subspecies.

I bet you're one of those people who claim to believe in science. Well, science has found that blacks and whites don't even have the same ancestry. Whites have neanderthal DNA, blacks don't.

And there are other, many other, differences as well.

But you prefer the idea of the whole "one race" stupidity, because I suspect you're female. And females tend to be motivated by whatever gives the most mating opportunites with as many alpha males as possible. And excluding blacks will necessarily limit that.
  • Mandy Brian M 2012/05/10 01:33:30
    Mandy
    Wow, not only are you incredibly unintelligent and bigoted, you're an a$$. Something tells me you've never picked up a science book once--except maybe to burn it.
  • Brian M Mandy 2012/05/10 02:03:08
    Brian M
    Yeah, because citing the latest scientific research means I burn science books. Yeah, that makes sense.
  • Mandy Brian M 2012/05/10 12:35:28
    Mandy
    You didn't cite anything. You made claims. Citing involves naming your sources.
  • Brian M Mandy 2012/05/25 07:50:31
    Brian M
    Oh, Christ. Never heard of Google, eh? Well, try this: go to www.google.com and search for neanderthal DNA caucasian

Oh, you're probably too lazy. Here, look at this:

http://www.newscientist.com/a...

Here's another. It appears that interbreeding with neanderthals gave humans genes involved in brain development, which could explain why the brains of black Africans are different from the rest of us. Lower IQ and all.

http://www.newscientist.com/a...
  • Brian M Mandy 2012/05/10 02:07:21
    Brian M
    And why my avatar is one of the most brilliant Persian scientists who ever lived.
  • Brian M Mandy 2012/05/10 01:10:34 (edited)
    Brian M
    And no, it isn't about being more inclusive. Consider the odds. There are many possible groupings. They could put a white boy and white girl together. They could put a black girl and a white boy together. But 89% - and yes, I have done the math looking at over a year's worth of JC Penny catalogs, 89 percent of the time, it is a white girl with a black boy. Additionally, in 25 percent of those, they are holding hands. No other pairing is ever seen holding hands.

Given that there is an odds-defying number of pairings of white girls and black boys, I would hesitate to call that just a random effort to be "more inclusive."

It's about getting into girls' minds and changing their mating preferences starting at a young age.
  • Brian M Brian M 2012/05/10 01:18:13
    Brian M
    I should clarify. 89 percent of all the instances in which there is an interracial male/female pairing.

Statistically there should be a 50%.

These are the possibilities, and how they actually worked out: w - white b - black b - boy g - girl

wb / wg - this one was the rarest, coming in at 4%

wb / bg - this was the third most common

bb / wg - black boy white girl pairs are the most common, at about 45%

bb / bg - second most rare pairing.

So, statistically you'd expect to find about 25% of each.
  • Mandy Brian M 2012/05/10 01:36:07
    Mandy
    +1
    It's really pathetic how obsessed you are with this. The only pairing you should be concerned about is your own.
  • Brian M Mandy 2012/05/10 02:03:52
    Brian M
    No, it isn't pathetic. It raises interesting questions. Like WHY.
  • Mandy Brian M 2012/05/10 12:36:31
    Mandy
    Here's a more interesting question: Why does it matter to you?
  • Brian M Mandy 2012/05/25 07:51:21
    Brian M
    All matter involving propaganda and brainwashing concern me.
  • Brian M Mandy 2012/05/10 02:08:54
    Brian M
    And you know what? I 100% guarantee you're going to start noticing it now. And you are going to think, what kind of world is in store should you choose to have white children (if you are white), particularly sons.
  • Mandy Brian M 2012/05/10 12:39:10
    Mandy
    +1
    Actually, no. I work in school library publishing, and I already know how difficult it can be to represent minorities in publishing. Our company has also made the decision to, when in doubt, over represent diversity because it helps diverse readers feel connected to our products. White people don't have a history of being disenfranchised, so they are not as sensitive to such issues...well, except for you apparently.
  • Brian M Mandy 2012/05/25 07:54:12
    Brian M
    Well, let's see. Whites have suffered disenfranchisement a number of times, and for long stretches of history. It just doesn't get as much play in your schools as the disenfranchisement of the poor blacks.

Maybe you can use that library of yours and research the etymology of the word "slave." And no, it doesn't mean "poor wittle black person who would be a prince."
  • Ty ~ PHAET Mandy 2012/05/10 05:58:40 (edited)
    Ty ~ PHAET
    He's seeing things because he's seeking them out. Ever heard of the Bible Code? Kinda like that.
  • Mandy Ty ~ PHAET 2012/05/10 12:39:33 (edited)
    Mandy
    +1
    Wonderful--another conspiracy theorist.

edit: I'm referring to him, not you. ;)
  • Mandy Brian M 2012/05/10 01:35:21
    Mandy
    +1
    First of all, it seems to me that you are wasting an exorbitant amount of time critiquing JC Penney ads. Secondly, why does it matter what races mate?
  • Brian M Mandy 2012/05/10 02:05:52
    Brian M
    Because when they mate, they lose their uniqueness.

What if the whole world could somehow all be mated up tomorrow, and this done for hundreds of years. In time, everyone would look, think like, be like everyone else.

I understand it makes it easier to have a one-world government when everyone is exactly alike, and easier to sell them garbage when their tastes are all the same. But you know, I'm a little attached to the idea that there is some uniqueness in the world.
  • Mandy Brian M 2012/05/10 12:42:01 (edited)
    Mandy
    +1
    Does it really matter to you what we all look like? I could care less. The simple fact is that as the world becomes more modernized, cultures will cross paths increasingly more, and intermingle. Who someone else has children with and what those children look like is completely irrelevant to me. Each human being is unique regardless of what they look like. Do you think that identical twins aren't each unique?

Also, the fact that you're bringing up a one-world government out of the blue tells me you're probably a crazy conspiracy theorist.
  • Ty ~ PHAET Mandy 2012/05/11 05:37:18
    Ty ~ PHAET
    +1
    I'd like to see his ilk try and stop me or anyone else from dating whomever I please or am most attracted to.
  • Mandy Ty ~ PHAET 2012/05/11 13:05:31
    Mandy
    +1
    There are far too many people worrying about who other people get together with in this world!
  • Brian M Mandy 2012/05/25 07:57:06
    Brian M
    Identical twins aren't unique.

And there is more to it than mere looks. There are personality traits that go along with those looks. The looks are just a useful proxy for a whole host of evolutionary adaptations.

And my one government comment doesn't mean I believe there is one. It's just that when everyone is the same, it makes consolidation of power a lot easier.
  • Mandy Brian M 2012/05/25 12:43:52
    Mandy
    +1
    You are really sick in the head. Seriously I would recommend getting professional help.
  • Brian M 098765 2012/05/09 00:38:42
    Brian M
    I agree. I made a comment on that but it made someone mad apparently. It's propaganda. You do know there's a war going on right now, don't you? The end goal is the elimination of all whites from this continent. One of the ways they are doing it is by encouraging white women to mate with blacks, a pairing that doesn't produce anything remotely white.
  • HillaryLover 2012/05/08 06:39:29
    HillaryLover
    Yes, I've been attracted to all of my female friends. That's why I take great pains to avoid being along with them in secluded spots. Human nature, y'know.
  • Just Jenn for Now 2012/05/08 06:13:51 (edited)
    Just Jenn for Now
    +1
    Yep... pretty much right now in fact. But I'm fine with the way things are, being friends. I know he enjoys my company, and to see a smile on his face the times we do get to hang out are enough for me.

Maybe I'm just playing it safe, but I'd rather be a good friend than chance ending up an unfavorable ex eventually. Besides, I have no clue if that sort of thing is even on his mind.
  • Brian 2012/05/08 06:07:39
    Brian
    Many, many times. Once it turned into a great long-term relationship, another time it completely ruined a good friendship. I think it's usually worth bringing up, though. I can't stand the tension and I don't think I'm good at hiding it.
  • Rave 2012/05/08 05:46:24
    Rave
    Oh yeah, there's been that occasional friend who I've noticed getting attracted to.

As someone who's bisexual, it's not really possible to avoid it by sticking to a gender. But I've never had such serious feelings for a random friend, usually my feelings stick to friendship but I still might find them attractive.

Actually I'm still friends with someone that I've on and off been curious for the past year now, but when we talked about it, it turns out she had the same curiosity about me. So we just left it at that.

2014/10/21 02:24:09