Men Are More Attracted to Female Friends Than Women Are to Guy Friends: Have You Ever Been Attracted to a Friend?

It's the age-old question: Can a man and a woman just be friends? A new study suggests that they can't -- at least as far as the guy is concerned. Men are more sexually interested in their female friends than their female friends are in them, LiveScience reports.

Not only are guys more likely to pine for their platonic female pals, but they're also more likely than gals to think their friends are romantically interested in them, too, even if they aren't. "Men over-infer women's sexual interest in a variety of contexts, and I definitely see that extending into the domain of cross-sex friendships as well," study researcher April Bleske-Rechek, a psychologist at the University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire, told LiveScience.

However, being attracted to your BFF isn't always such pleasant experience (as many of us have learned the hard way). Study participants were much more likely to list attraction as a "cost" rather than a benefit of their opposite-sex friendship (though men were less likely to see it this way than women).

What do you think? Is being attracted to your friend a recipe for disaster? Or could it possibly lead to love?

• gnice123 Jess 2012/05/08 14:55:50
    gnice123
    +1
    "Guys I have been "friends" with, I ended up knowing too much about them to be attracted to them any other way. Current New Guy Friend is a gambling addict. Fun to be around here and there but otherwise annoying. Other guy-friend is the guy I dated in highschool and never slept with.. I know way too much about him and everything I know makes me cringe."

This is interesting because I wonder what incentive a guy who wants to be your boyfriend has in telling you the entire truth about who he is or what he's done. Chances are every man you are attracted to (and man that is attracted to you) has a less than stellar record concerning love, sex and relationships. So if knowing "too much" about a guy turns you off, it sounds like he should remain "hidden" to some extent from you to preserve the attraction.

Greg P.
  • GeminiWolf 2012/05/08 14:01:48
    GeminiWolf
    Still in the friend zone. It's best that way for all parties.
  • Catita 2012/05/08 13:41:34
    Catita
    looking back, my honest answer is yes.
  • byz 2012/05/08 13:23:21
    byz
    +1
    Men and women can be friends. The question is does the guy have a girlfriend as well? A teenage boy who wants a girlfriend is going to find very hard to be "just friends' with a girl, especially if she has boyfriends. Hes going to wonder why them not me? On the other hand, as a married guy, now of course I have loads of female friends.
    So if your a girl and you want to be friends with a guy, be a real friend. Hook him up with one of your friends. You have the connections and a recommendation from you is worth gold and thats what friends do. What kind of friend ignores their friend's suffering?
  • Lady Aiyanna 2012/05/08 13:17:13
    Lady Aiyanna
    Have to say yes from personal experience and it still takes place till date. First person who came as a friend told me he was in love with me within two weeks and I married him two years later. Another person, my colleague who really was just a friend to me went to the extent of lying to me that his marriage was over just to share a cry on my shoulder publicly and ended up stripping for me saying that he loved me and I had to get the fellow to dress up, go home and get consolation from his dearly beloved wife who is still with him till date (with no idea that he was lying about his marriage (holding a daycare prospectus for his child in his hand if you please) as I never did speak about it but called him a Stupid Rose in front of his wife and heard her fight with him for it) and with my husband ready to have a word or two with compensation for it as I told him about it. My husband followed his footsteps a over a year later and I gave him the ticket to his happiness and kept the friend where he belongs with his naive wife and moved house away from both of them.
    Well men as a rule can fall in love easily as for them it is more the physical satiation rather than the mental attitude/make up that women tend to have in relationships. So if you are pretty or with high appeal or ju...
    Well men as a rule can fall in love easily as for them it is more the physical satiation rather than the mental attitude/make up that women tend to have in relationships. So if you are pretty or with high appeal or just you can be assured mishaps like the above are not uncommon. I openly got proposed to by a 60 year old with 60 faces gaping at the whole thing for just befriending the chap on the bus so grown used to it and have learnt to check the warning signs and make a run for it when I see it starting or at least till their amorous affections begin to cool down. Its usually a phase, with a 20-30 cycle but if it goes on beyond that and runs into years, then you know its not a phase but a phenomenon and then think about what next (friendly advice) and in my opinion move your place of stay (for a short while till it dies down) to avoid misunderstandings or choose to go ahead if both are single. Be very observant as Kerosene and Fire do always create flames although either don't mean for it to happen.
  • Professor Wizard 2012/05/08 13:03:57
    Professor Wizard
    I believe men "befriend" females, because they hope it will turn into more. Most men won't bother befriending a female, unless there is "Something in it" for them. This theory is connected to that Hunter / Gatherer thing... Genetic Programming if you will. Yes :: I've been attracted to female friends. Usually before becoming their friend.

The words most guys hate to hear a girl say! "We are just friends"

Of course - there are always exceptions. And today, as an older male, I do have females who are friends, and who I am not attracted to. But most of them are the wives of my buds.
  • Stan Kapusta 2012/05/08 13:02:25
    Stan Kapusta
    It's natural. People are naturally horndogs anyway. Now if you act upon it is anybody's guess of the outcome.
  • Jake 2012/05/08 12:54:30
    Jake
    So what's wrong with Friends with benifits???
  • XRenX Jake 2012/05/09 17:39:56
    XRenX
    Damaging a good friendship and one person getting attached regardless of the fact that it was intended to be NSA sex. I have heard this many times.
  • Mandy 2012/05/08 12:50:52 (edited)
    Mandy
    However, I DO believe that men and woman can just be friends. I hung out with a group of 8 -10 guys in college, and I was only attracted to one of them. The rest of them were just my friends. Men can be attracted to you, but that doesn't mean you can't be friends with them. It doesn't mean they want to date you and if you don't want to date them back then the friendship is ruined. It just means they'd like to see you naked, which is pretty much true when a man looks at almost any woman he's not related to. No big deal to me.

EDIT: I find this especially ironic because I went to the University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire.
  • Tiah 2012/05/08 12:49:10
    Tiah
    To me friends are friends nothing more.
  • LaiLaiHart 2012/05/08 12:39:15
    LaiLaiHart
    although i once fell hard for my closest male friend................didnt work out the way i wanted it to, but on the flipside, life goes on.
  • Jiorgia 2012/05/08 12:36:46
    Jiorgia
    +1
    almost every time, it is something about truly knowing someone and knowing that you get along.
    physical attraction for me only ever goes away when i no longer like them personally, so if i am already physically attracted to them before becoming friends then it turns into a full blown crush but i have never been friends with someone then suddenly becoming physically attracted to them.
  • Yoru Azenia 2012/05/08 12:19:24
    Yoru Azenia
    A couple of times yeah
  • AM 2012/05/08 12:11:10
  • Hannah 2012/05/08 11:55:37
    Hannah
    I like a lot of boys that are my friends
  • Darlin' 2012/05/08 11:12:39
    Darlin'
    but would never act on such feelings ... friends are friends
  • Ty ~ PHAET 2012/05/08 10:57:55 (edited)
    Ty ~ PHAET
    +2
    I've been interested in a female friend of mine for quite some time now, and I have every intention of asking her out.
  • XRenX Ty ~ PHAET 2012/05/10 14:53:11
    XRenX
    +1
    Do you think she is interested as well?
  • Ty ~ PHAET XRenX 2012/05/10 22:39:19
    Ty ~ PHAET
    +1
    I really don't think she ever saw me as more than a friend, but it's still worth a shot, I suppose.
  • Wanderer 2012/05/08 10:51:43
    Wanderer
    +1
    Once...and it taught me a very important lesson.
  • Metaldane 2012/05/08 10:44:18
    Metaldane
    +1
    I find my best friend attractive but just because I'm attracted to her doesn't mean I'd ever date her she's basically like a sister to me lol
  • sweet silver 2012/05/08 10:25:00
    sweet silver
    YES BECAUSE SOME GUY'S ONLY HAVE CUTE FEMALE FRIEND'S I HAVEN'T EEN TO MANY GUYS WITH UGLY FEMALE FRIENDS

YOUR GUY AND HIS SO CALLED "FRIEND"
    BUSTED CHEATING
  • Maurice... sweet s... 2012/05/08 11:50:46 (edited)
  • Charles Braley 2012/05/08 10:18:27
    Charles Braley
    I have always had more women friends than men
  • Ayushee 2012/05/08 10:04:13
    Ayushee
    Not still
  • RoseyRhod 2012/05/08 09:30:42
    RoseyRhod
    +1
    Yes, a man and woman can be just friends. I have more male friends than female. When I was younger and stupider, I did feel an attraction to a couple of my friends (at very different times, not at the same time) and ended up acting on it. It destroyed the friendship. If I had it to do over again, I would think with my brain instead of my hormones.
  • Mandy RoseyRhod 2012/05/08 12:54:52
    Mandy
    Me too Rosey! Me too...I still miss my friend.
  • Boo! 2012/05/08 09:29:10
    Boo!
    A few times
  • Jessica ♥ Nick = foreva 2012/05/08 09:08:41
    Jessica ♥  Nick = foreva
    Weel no I'm not actor active to other bus all the boys at school they ugly but I got boy friend is Daniel he is actrative and I'm actrative looking too
  • baxter 2012/05/08 08:51:39
    baxter
    a male i have
  • LadyIron 2012/05/08 08:32:22
    LadyIron
    Many times
  • Devin Pederson 2012/05/08 08:09:31
    Devin Pederson
    "Men Are More Attracted to Female Friends Than Women Are to Guy Friends"

you don t say

It is really no surprise. Also that girl is hot.
  • cageaikenz 2012/05/08 08:01:46
    cageaikenz
    But she was with someone else
  • Persephone 2012/05/08 07:43:39
    Persephone
    Yes, but attraction never stood in the way of my friendships.
  • GLaDOS 2012/05/08 07:06:30 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    Well, no, I can't say that. I have been attracted to one friend, and the only reason he was really a friend a the time was because we were both dating other people. Normally, the reason I am not attracted to friends is because there are reasons I made them friends in the first place. Usually, I'm just not physically attracted to them, or there's something about their personality that I KNOW would put me off at some point.

I have had guy friends who were attracted to me, and I find it both flattering, and a little uncomfortable. I don't want some guy to pine for me when I will only ever see them as a friend.
  • Jimmy Lucky 2012/05/08 07:00:39
    Jimmy Lucky
    i respect them as though thry are my family
  • Joanna the Great 2012/05/08 06:57:59 (edited)
    Joanna the Great
    I think it's a biological thing for guys, they hang around a pretty girl too long they start to want her. Girls are much more emotional about picking a partner.

But I've been with my boyfriend for years, and we started out good friends. He was even in a relationship when we met.
  • MissJo 2012/05/08 06:57:34
    MissJo
    I am, in fact.
  • 098765 2012/05/08 06:51:40
    098765
    yes, and soon we will marry. it's the best way to start a relationship.

anyway, why does the picture have to show two different races? of course a black boy befriending some hispanic bitch isn't after her friendship.

2014/07/29 16:49:43