McDonald's Will No Longer Use 'Pink Slime' in Hamburgers: Great News or Too Little, Too Late?

Score one for the health police. Under pressure to escape its "fake food" image, McDonald's has eliminated the use of ammonium hydroxide -- aka pink slime -- in its hamburger meat. Previously, McDonald's had been soaking scrap meat with ammonium hydroxide -- a pink goo-like ingredient in fertilizers, household cleaners and explosives, according to msnbc.com.

Todd Bacon, McDonald's senior supply chain officer, told The Daily Mail that the decision to change course "was not related to any particular event, but rather to support our effort to align our global beef raw material standards."

But many attribute the change to British celeb chef Jamie Oliver, who began a campaign last year to get ammonium hydroxide-treated meats out of the U.S. food supply, according to the Mail. The use of chemically treated scrap meat "to me as a chef and a food lover is shocking," Oliver said. "... Basically we're taking a product that would be sold in the cheapest form for dogs and making it 'fit' for humans."

The "slime" is regulated by the U.S. Agriculture Department, which classifies it as "generally recognized as safe." But it certainly doesn't look very appetizing. Are you happy about McDonald's decision? Or is it too little, too late for McDonald's to change its faux food ways?

• Saul Bo... Melody ... 2012/02/03 17:04:18
    Saul Borbón-Dos Sicilias
    you never ate mcDonald's? don't make me laugh...
  • Steamtrain 2012/02/03 16:03:29
    Great news
    Steamtrain
    +1
    Makes you wonder what will replace it...
  • FDNY 2012/02/03 15:59:33
    Too little, too late
    FDNY
    +1
    Stopped eating McNasty when I was 9 years old..never turning back!
  • overdog001 2012/02/03 15:58:57
    Great news
    overdog001
    +5
    Why is there anyone left on Earth who is "shocked" that a world-wide fast-food fat dispensary sells food that isn't healthy? It's McD's, not Whole Foods. So, we'll order up a starch bomb potato deep fried in Sunoco, but don't you dare put that pink stuff in my food, because that's not healthy!

Instead of yelling at McDonald's, why aren't people yelling at the idiot government USDA who approved the use of those ingredients for human consumption?
  • Mr. Wonderful 2012/02/03 15:54:11
    Great news
    Mr. Wonderful
    +3
    OK guys listen up. My uncle was a butcher and my dad worked in a meat processing plant. If the public knew what went on with meat of all kinds, every day, every source, the whole country would turn vegan overnight. For example ground beef regardless who you get it from has a good deal of "scraps" it in, even bone ground up with large amounts of fat. You did know that 80% lean ground beef you get at your grocery store is 20% something else, like fat, bone and well lets just say things that aren't the kind of meat you'd like in your hamburger.

If you're about to eat or just eaten you may not want to read further. You see while all processing plants are crawlling with "meat inspectors" from the federal government to "protect" you, they're also crawing with rodents the size of small dogs. The inspectors are only human. So two common things that will turn your stomach. Inspectors routinely "tag" meat that's bad. People at the plant simply remove the tag when the inspector that tagged it takes a washroom or lunch break and that "bad" meat often gets processed and ends up on your dinner table anyway.

Often meat during processing, like cutting it up into smaller pieces slips off the table and ends up on the floor. A floor often that has sawdust, pools of blood, dirt, rat dropping ...

Often meat during processing, like cutting it up into smaller pieces slips off the table and ends up on the floor. A floor often that has sawdust, pools of blood, dirt, rat dropping etc. Yeah, that too ges wiped off and used when the inspectors aren't looking. What, you think they're going to throw away a big slab of meat just because it fell on the floor?

So don't go nuts over what McDonalds, Burger King or others put in their meat. The meat itself is often pretty gross and if you knew what it might of went through in handling you probably wouldn't put it in your mouth.

Now about you vegans. I have several uncles that are farmers. If you only knew how filthy the conditions your vegatables grow in were, you'd prefer to starve. Wink.
  • randi Mr. Won... 2012/02/03 16:18:42
    randi
    It's still good & I'm still gunna eat it
  • siouxth... randi 2012/02/03 18:21:15
    siouxthegal
    well good luck to you is all I can say
  • Melody ... Mr. Won... 2012/02/03 16:19:48
    Melody P. McKnight
    +1
    What vegetable farm are you talking about? !! My grandfather owns around 20 none are in a crappy condition
  • siouxth... Melody ... 2012/02/03 18:23:53
    siouxthegal
    I thought we were talking about MEAT? Maybe we should all become vegetarians altho I am sure they will find something to ruin that too..................living in CA for a very long time I remember how "they" tell you to make sure and WASH all veggies and fruit as the pickers probably peed on them.............now that also is really gross!!! WHO do you trust these days and believe me if the right winged jackasses get in, things will be getting WAY WORSE..........mark my words as they truly do NOT care about anything except themselves and money.
  • Patrick 2012/02/03 15:51:26
    Great news
    Patrick
    McDonald's isn't going to go away...and I'm glad to hear they've stepped up and decided to drop the pink-slim, even when our food protector, the USAD, said, "sure, you can feed that crap to the masses" (could this be just one more reason for the rise in allergies, cancers, autism, 6 year old girls with boobs and so on?) .... try to keep in mind, "you get what you pay for".. I mean come on, we all know what a 1/4 pound of beef costs when we go shopping and you think McDonald's is offering the same beef, on a bun, cooked, with condiments all for less, and the beef is even close to the same?.. (think lips, ears, scrap)
  • siouxth... Patrick 2012/02/03 18:24:41
    siouxthegal
    This was stuff they always talk about with hot dogs............YUK!
  • Lori Diorio 2012/02/03 15:44:35
    Too little, too late
    Lori Diorio
    +1
    That's a good thing, but I will still never eat there. Lord knows what else they might be using. 70+ ingredients in a McRib sandwich? Really? Wonder what they are? Remember, you are what you eat.
  • Safury 2012/02/03 15:39:19
    Great news
    Safury
    +1
    But I'm still worried about any differently-colored slime they might still be using...
  • siouxth... Safury 2012/02/03 18:25:08
    siouxthegal
    Then just DON'T eat there!!!
  • ChristabelLartey 2012/02/03 15:38:55
    Too little, too late
    ChristabelLartey
    +1
    What were they trying to kill us?
  • jtfm 2012/02/03 15:38:23
    Too little, too late
    jtfm
    +2
    How about the silicone in the McNuggets?
  • Patrick jtfm 2012/02/03 15:53:24
    Patrick
    You mean "Franken-nuggets"
  • BwaHa 2012/02/03 15:34:09
    Too little, too late
    BwaHa
    +1
    There should've been a third choice... "Don't Care!"

I quit eating at McDonald's decades ago. I don't do fast food. Especially McDonalds.
  • Jane 2012/02/03 15:27:04
    Great news
    Jane
    Even McDonalds can change.
  • politicalsoldier 2012/02/03 15:27:00
    Great news
    politicalsoldier
    Errrrr ... too little, too late!

Then don't eat there.
  • Deirdra 2012/02/03 15:26:57
    Great news
    Deirdra
    +2
    It is never to late to make something better. If this one change can spark a lot of changes around the world than it is a great wonderful thing! There are millions of people addicted to fast food and if they can figure out how to make it sliver of amount better than that's really good.
  • Cochise 2012/02/03 15:13:10
    Too little, too late
    Cochise
    +2
    I still say, Burger King makes the best Burger.
  • JulieSomeone 2012/02/03 15:12:52
    Too little, too late
    JulieSomeone
    +1
    Too late, and i am so glad for the walking dead meat killers/eater and Vampires though, picking their poison is their choice... www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvbFB...
    i am VEGAN, started weaning in 2006, from the sick American tradition for shock market returns, for many reasons...there are no cows in the wild to hunt.
    If i can't kill it, i am not eating it. LOL, even chicken eggs, at egg hatcheries for hens....if you are born a MALE Chick, YOU ARE DEAD! www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ--f...
    And LOL, McDonald's french fries even have chicken egg on them too! LOL, how natural is it to see hen sitting on a potato, and then having the unfertilized egg broken?!?

Fast Food cows DEAD meat is like Dairy cow meat that have spent their life, getting raped by a syringe, having their infant stolen from them after birth. then bottle fed, causing th dead babies, VEAL, to have thee most contiminated flesh of all, that Americans still ignorantly ingest!
    MEAT is DISEASE any way ya ingest it. "Forks Over Knives." www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7iju...

The Human Anatomy is not designed to ingest MEAT.
    www.tierversuchsgegner.org/wi...
    If ya cannot KILL an animal, and watch the BLOOD DRAIN out, and ya cannot butcher the meat...yet ya still eat meat, ya already have a HUGE Barbaric Disassociation Disorder, ar...

www.tierversuchsgegner.org/wi...
    If ya cannot KILL an animal, and watch the BLOOD DRAIN out, and ya cannot butcher the meat...yet ya still eat meat, ya already have a HUGE Barbaric Disassociation Disorder, are ya still a PION?...and LOL, ya still want to state that VEGANS are not civilized. It's 2012, and there is plenty of PROTEIN in whole grains/legumes. LOL, suck that animal blood/fat...Mooow!
  • JulieSo... JulieSo... 2012/02/03 15:35:30
    JulieSomeone
    Eat like a Gladiator... they were VEGAN! :-D
    youtube.com/watch?v=FOWSc8VvOl4
  • Kitsune... JulieSo... 2012/02/03 16:40:05
    KitsuneofDarkness
    +1
    You obviously don't know the slaughter industry well. I'm in college to become a veterinary technician, and I've had to go on-sight to slaughter houses and farms for slaughter, since I may be taking care of these animals some day.

I don't know where you're getting this idea of the industry being diseased and disgusting. EVERY slaughter house I've been to (And I've been to quite a few) are as immaculate as a place dealing with cattle can be. Everything HAS to be clean, otherwise their animals will become ill. And dairy cattle? They're not at all treated as you're trying to suggest. Yes,their young are taken away from them rather early, but that's to try and get the cow used to human interaction. Beef cattle keep their young with them, as beef cattle are not socialized with humans as much.

Veal is not diseased. It's cruel, yes (I don't eat veal at /all/ - I refuse to) but it's not diseased. It's unfortunate that we kill young cows for food, but it happens. And when a calf is taken from it's mother, the calf is cared for just as the dam would have if she still cared for it. They're not pulling the calf away to let it starve.

Meat is NOT disease. It's meat. Simple as that. People get the wrong idea about slaughter houses, because they see these huge, corporation buildings, and assu...

Meat is NOT disease. It's meat. Simple as that. People get the wrong idea about slaughter houses, because they see these huge, corporation buildings, and assume that all slaughter is like that. Go to a local slaughter house, the little ones, and you'll see the way meat is ACTUALLY treated. Those huge houses that make the news for being gross or inhumane are only a portion of the slaughter. They're not what the industry is like as a whole.

Human anatomy IS meant to digest meat. We're OMNIVORES, not HERBIVORES. We need specific nutrients from the meat, that plants cannot give us.

I'm NOT trying to say that a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle is wrong, please don't think that. I'm just saying that you need to get your facts straight before you try and criticize the slaughter industry, or even more so, people like myself who do eat meat.
  • Sully JulieSo... 2012/02/03 17:04:16
    Sully
    Your writing is to hieroglyphics what baby poop is to elephant dung. I'm still shaking my head wondering what on earth you are trying to say. Maybe that meat isn't good for you? I guess that leaves McDonalds on its own. Okay, got it!!
  • Walter ... JulieSo... 2012/02/03 17:56:24
    Walter Hughey
    +1
    stop the murdering of innocent fruits and vegetables, eat the FDA approved goo..LOL I never heard any one call a vegan barbaric Julie, but I can relate to what your saying to a degree, in that to much of ANYTHING is bad for you. This country boy has worked in several meat processing plants in his day and they are ALL about the same, from the raising of the animal, to the table.Steroids, pesticides, measured amounts of fat and other body parts I wont meantion...pretty disgusting. Im not vegan, I like a good steak, and Im an avid fish eater, but sister, in light of whats out there I can damn sure understand the choice to not partake. HOWEVER....even with that choice you need to be VERY careful. Companies like monsanto are making those awesome fruits and veggies just as toxic. Be blessed today, dont forget to pray....brother wally
  • ID51 2012/02/03 15:12:40
    Too little, too late
    ID51
    +2
    I haven't eaten at McDonald's, or any fast food establishment, in years. Not going back now.
  • Racefish 2012/02/03 15:11:43
    Too little, too late
    Racefish
    +2
    I don't eat there anyway so it makes little difference to me.
  • 2020TRAV 2012/02/03 15:07:14
    Too little, too late
    2020TRAV
    +2
    How can youTrust Food from the illuminati :Mcdonalds is apart of 13 familes they eat people and and sac them up for Ritual
  • Saul Bo... 2020TRAV 2012/02/03 17:12:57
    Saul Borbón-Dos Sicilias
    Freak...
  • 2020TRAV Saul Bo... 2012/02/03 17:39:57
    2020TRAV
    Freak of ?
  • Rob 2012/02/03 15:05:35 (edited)
    Great news
    Rob
    +2
    I'm not surprised. The rumors about how gross and engineered fast food is have been around for decades. I don't think McDonald is going away anytime so
  • Thomas 45 2012/02/03 15:04:23
    Too little, too late
    Thomas 45
    +1
    I will never eat chicken from McDonald's again, and only burgers if every other place is closed!
  • DreamSpeaker 2012/02/03 15:04:20
    Too little, too late
    DreamSpeaker
    +2
    I would feel better if they weren't using beef from a country that uses a lot of unregulated pesticides and chemicals. They are no longer using US beef and are going out of the country to get cheaper beef. Scary.
  • HK5SBR 2012/02/03 15:02:36
    Too little, too late
    HK5SBR
    +3
    See what you can do people when you research and demand change? extraordinary isn't it. ;)
  • TaniaHoenink 2012/02/03 14:58:12
    Too little, too late
    TaniaHoenink
    +1
    I haven't set foot in a McDonalds for years anyway. Most of the stuff they serve that's 'vegetarian friendly' is disgusting.
  • Jill 2012/02/03 14:55:07
    Great news
    Jill
    No matter what people say or slam about McDonald's, it'll always be my absolute favorite fast food. I only have it every few months, but I will continue to enjoy it!
  • RID 2012/02/03 14:54:10
    Great news
    RID
    +2
    i've been off the stuff for a few years (and how i feel immediately after the very occasional lapse convinces it was a good move) but regardless it's good news because it shows two things
    1) people are starting to take the 'chemical food' issue seriously
    2) the big corporations take seriously what their consumers take seriously
  • RoseyRhod 2012/02/03 14:49:46
    Too little, too late
    RoseyRhod
    +2
    I didn't know it was in there in the first place. I'll warrant that McChoke-n-Puke isn't the only place that uses it.

2014/08/21 18:05:53