McDonald's to Sponsor London Olympics: Good Business or Bad Message?

Less than three months to the London Olympics! We can't wait to see the tight, toned competitors showing off their unbelievable athletic skill. And somehow, this message of health and fitness is sponsored by ... McDonald's? Yup! The fast-food chain is a major sponsor for the London Olympics, to the dismay of a British doctors' group, The Associated Press reports.

mcdonald s olympics

McDonald's will be the only restaurant allowed to sell brand-name food at the games and there will also be a separate McDonald's within the athletes' village -- in addition to three others at the Olympic Park (one of which will be McDonald's largest franchise in the world), the AP reports.

To make matters worse, Coca-Cola has the exclusive right to sell non-alcoholic drinks at Olympic venues, and Heineken has been named the games' official beer. "It's very sad that an event that celebrates the very best of athletic achievements should be sponsored by companies contributing to the obesity problem and unhealthy habits," said Terence Stephenson, a spokesman for the Academy of Royal Medical Colleges, according to the AP.

McDonald's isn't new to the Olympics -- the company has been an official Olympics sponsor since 1976. The chain says it plans to bring "high-quality British food" at the Games, yet Big Macs, fries and milkshakes will be served. With about one-quarter of Brits currently obese, do you think McDonald's makes an appropriate sponsor for the London Olympics?

• The Inc... joe 2012/05/03 12:22:16
    The Incurable Pessimist
    It's becoming too powerful, just bridge the 80-20 gap even further now why don't you?
    God!
  • Lois Gr... The Inc... 2012/05/03 17:47:45
    Lois Griffin
    Gas @ $4+ a gallon really changes the food buying power of most families. Mom & dad have to get to work. Less money for food. Food costs more to deliver and mom & dads wages have either went down or stayed the same for a few years. This is whats causing the gap in peoples buying power and grocery choices! BIG OIL!!! & BIG GOV'T!
  • joe The Inc... 2012/05/04 13:16:31
    joe
    They are powerful because we make them powerful by consuming their products. At least they act responsibly and do good things with their money and power while the people who buy their products belly ache how their kids are too fat and their families have disintegrated.
  • AnonRanGER 2012/05/03 10:22:44
    Bad message
    AnonRanGER
    It's F-ING BOTH, but as always, SodaHead doesn't give you enough options. Real pro of you, SH.
  • Mark 2012/05/03 09:13:50
    Good business
    Mark
    +1
    It's both.
    MacDonalds in their defence have improved their menus over the last couple of years.
    Fitness and fatness has nothing to do with MacDonalds, coke or any other company, it's (mostly) personal choice.
  • Jim For... Mark 2012/05/03 11:37:07
    Jim Forrester
    +4
    I agree. I can't remember if MacDonalds ever twisted my arms or knee capped me to eat there. I have never seen a country that whined about everything. The only thing we need in this country is for people to be responsible for themselves.
  • Pookie Mark 2012/05/03 16:42:02
    Pookie
    Sorry, its ALL a personal choice..once in a while never hurts.....
  • caius madison 2012/05/03 08:43:07
    Good business
    caius madison
    +1
    They always contribute to the Olympics. This year they are the principal sponser. This is not new. Thank the idiot who tried to tell us we had no will power vs. McD's, Morgan Spurlock if you think it's bad. His publicity ztunt is why we get one piece of cheese less on a mcdouble..... but we get fancy coffee.... lamer. Anyways, the Donald's is trying to healthy up their image. It's business, obviously.
  • Pookie caius m... 2012/05/03 16:45:08
    Pookie
    You're correct. I didn't become obese by eating at McDonalds occasionally..but I sure did whack on a few pounds drinking Starbucks specialty coffees. Im now back to normal 107.
  • lavender 2012/05/03 08:12:44
    Good business
    lavender
    i should have read the article first. i am erring on the side of good business. it can be a sponsor but apparently not an appropriate one.
  • USAF Vet 2012/05/03 07:44:56
    Good business
    USAF Vet
    +2
    It's nothing personal....it's business.
  • reaper 2012/05/03 07:41:24
    Good business
    reaper
    +2
    don't they usually do that?
  • Duane Freemantle 2012/05/03 07:25:31
    Bad message
    Duane Freemantle
    It is all about business.
  • Jay Theyme 2012/05/03 07:22:06
    Good business
    Jay Theyme
    +2
    One of the most athletic, physically fit, 'Mr.Universe body' personal trainers I've ever had went to McDonalds at least once a week. Sometimes more. He also ordered a regular-sized combo with an apple juice. Or a few snack wraps. Or sometimes a McSalad. Sometimes he did have a Big Mac.

He also went an lifted weights or went jogging or training us. Its 100% up to us. You can easily enjoy a McDonalds now and then and also be slim and athletic (or just normal like most of us).
  • Gregaj7 2012/05/03 06:59:55
    Bad message
    It's all about commerce.
  • cddjmikey 2012/05/03 06:11:00
    Good business
    cddjmikey
    They are a corporation that wants to help support some peaceful competition. What could possibly be wrong with that ?
  • mich52 2012/05/03 04:22:59
  • gary mich52 2012/05/03 05:01:14
    gary
    go east my friend go east. America is a mature market, the gold rush is east. Lots of hungry people to feed.
  • britinlincoln 2012/05/03 04:09:17
    Bad message
    britinlincoln
    wanna make people even fatter ?
  • gary britinl... 2012/05/03 04:19:29
    gary
    get over it. With another billion people added to the population and a mc'ds on every corner with more Cash to blow. Go buy their stock.
  • mich52 gary 2012/05/03 04:24:37
  • gary mich52 2012/05/03 04:33:55
    gary
    I know, have you bergers and fries just Don't over do it.. And walk alittle more you will be fine.
  • britinl... mich52 2012/05/03 05:03:40
    britinlincoln
    Nope!
  • gary britinl... 2012/05/03 11:15:52
    gary
    you must have much bigger health issues then a mc'ds hamburger and fries ever now and then.
  • Corsair 2012/05/03 04:06:55
    Bad message
    Corsair
    +1
    No matter how you slice it, McDonald's will never be that health conscious restaurant it wants it to be. This is why it's a bad message and bad for business.
  • Xinea 2012/05/03 03:52:05
    Bad message
    Xinea
    Both.
  • BeautifulSoul 2012/05/03 03:51:39
    Good business
    BeautifulSoul
    Y not?
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/05/03 03:43:55
    Good business
    Inquisitve Kat
    Sponsors are sponsors... I think it's good.
  • JERSEYDUDE 2012/05/03 03:37:05
    Bad message
    JERSEYDUDE
    MC DONALDS AND OLYMPICS DO NOT GO TOGETHER

YOU DO NOT GET TO THE OLYMPICS BY EATING THE FOOD (IF YOU CAN EVEN CALL IT THAT) FROM MC DONALDS
  • gary JERSEYDUDE 2012/05/03 04:21:21
    gary
    Da.
  • caius m... JERSEYDUDE 2012/05/03 08:52:36
    caius madison
    If iI gotta buy food at a huge sporting event, I am never thinking a veggie tray, i would think ribs and other such FATTY foods. Still, I would support tbe cheapness of McD's versus the $10 (normally around $6) combo any other comparable fast food chain would try to gouge me on. Stop being food trolls, it is speculated that when people are asked if they eat healthy, half will lie to avoid people trashing them over grossly misinforming FDA facts and guidlines.
  • gary caius m... 2012/05/03 16:03:40 (edited)
    gary
    here, here. They attack mc'ds like It's the cancer. They lost any creadabity. And it always backfires on them.
  • gary gary 2012/05/03 16:07:57
    gary
    its the person deciding what to eat. Mc'ds a million different things to eat. Don't put it on one company.
  • strawberry 2012/05/03 03:01:51
    Bad message
    strawberry
    McDonald's does have franchises just about all over the world, but it is the United States where McDonald's makes their billions. I'm sure McDonald's will put out their best quality meats, chicken, vegetables, etc. not those mushy burgers with wilted lettuce and squashed buns they normally sell in the United States.
  • Jimbo strawberry 2012/05/03 17:52:48
    Jimbo
    +1
    Most people don't realize it, but McDonald's (MCD) is not a burger-flipping restaurant chain; it is one of the world's best real estate portfolios. Franchisees flip the burgers.

McDonald's simply owns the best commercial property all over the world.
  • strawberry Jimbo 2012/05/03 21:02:08
    strawberry
    +1
    Interesting information!
  • 001 strawberry 2012/05/03 17:57:35
    001
    +1
    I had McDonalds in England and in the Netherlands, they both sucked. I can't make a comparison to the US McDonalds though, I've never been in the USA..
  • strawberry 001 2012/05/03 21:16:52
    strawberry
    In the U.S. majority fast food chains differ in quality in different areas. I loved "Long John Silvers" battered fish menus on Long Island. I ate at a "Long John Silvers" in L.A. County it was horrible. Too much soggy batter. I don't like eating chicken in California. McDonalds on the whole serve good fast food in comparison to most Burger Kings. It depends on employees fixing and cooking the food. When I first went to England, first thing noticed was very small portions and bland tasting, not much spices, salt or pepper.
  • 001 strawberry 2012/05/03 21:55:55
    001
    +1
    Interesting, I didn't know the quality differs so much within a country. In the Netherlands, as far as I know at least McDonalds, KFC and Burger King taste the same everywhere.
  • strawberry 001 2012/05/03 22:19:40
    strawberry
    Not true in the United States. Even in the same town one McDonald's could grill better burgers, more fresh tasty food, then another McDonald's in the same area. A lot depends on employees. Even restaurants hold to this ideal. I'm from N.Y. loved Mexican Restaurants in N.Y. but hate the way Mexican food is cooked in many CA Mexican Restaurants. Same with Chinese food or Italian food, especially pizza. The East Coast don't forget, has more European influence in cooking. The East has bakeries, deli's, best deli departments even in supermarkets. You don't find much of this in most other U.S. States. Most foods are purchased in supermarkets, more extensive shipping.

2014/04/24 19:44:30