McDonald's Posts Calorie Counts on Drive-Through Menu: Will It Affect What You Order?

mrosen814 2012/09/12 20:00:00
McDonald's will now be posting calorie counts of menu items on drive-through windows. The chain has offered nutritional information for anyone who requests it, but this new addition will now be available to all diners.

But in terms of it affecting menu choices? McDonald's President Jan Fields says that in the cities where calorie counts are already in place, the numbers have not affected consumers' choices: "When it's all said and done, the menu mix doesn't change," she said. "But I do think people feel better knowing this information."

FITSUGAR.COM reports:
McDonald's has a new addition to its drive-through window: calorie counts. Certain locations like New York City, Philadelphia, and the state of California have already required that calorie counts be posted, but McDonald's has decided to take the initiative nationwide.
locations york city philadelphia california required calorie counts posted mcdonalds

Read More: http://www.fitsugar.com/McDonalds-Posts-Calorie-Co...

• Michaela★ 2012/09/13 00:30:33 (edited)
    Michaela★
    +6
    I saw one burger that was 800 calories.... you are techincally only supposed to have 1200 - 1500 (cant remeber exactly is all depends on the person such as their gender, age and activity level) calories a day... that one burger would be almost all your days worth of calories, plus if you get a drink or fries with it..... thats like eating your healthy amount of calories for the whole day in one sitting. Nevermind too all the sodium, grease, grams of fat, ect that are in that must be unbelievably high too. Plus empty fat caloried filled food like that crap will leave you feeling hungry sooner after you eat the meal then if you ate a banana and a bunch of carrots which would fill you up quicker and keep you fuller longer and also make you feel better about yourself physically and emotionally, after eating fast food I feel bad in every way. I am very overweight and trying to lose weight via a better food lifestyle and going to the gym everyday and have been very succesful already with the info I have been provided. I still eat plenty of healthy meats for protein and choose an apple over say doritos.

• ShelaKa... Dan ☮ R... 2012/09/13 04:33:00
    ShelaKay0523
    +1
    If only, huh? That's actually not a half-bad idea. I don't know how it is elsewhere, but here in Washington state organic and all-natural foods are so popular I bet that if anyone started an organic fast food chain it'd give the other chains a run for their money. Might even force them to change the quality of their menu just to compete. And I'm sure I don't have to tell you that organic food usually tastes better, so there is that, too :-)
  • Dan ☮ R... ShelaKa... 2012/09/13 15:09:54
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    Its not too popular here, but I always do my best to stick to my principles and vote with my Dollar, and if enough people do the same then we can see some real changes in the market. We could even see organic prices decrease because more people would begin to grow them.
  • ShelaKa... Dan ☮ R... 2012/09/13 16:54:19
    ShelaKay0523
    +1
    Let's hope so. The "Just Label It" campaign, and other groups, are getting the word out there that organic is the way to go, so hopefully people will start paying attention. I always figured that the higher price of organics is worth it when you consider the cost of healthcare, and how many health problems the pesticides and GMO's have been proven to cause.
  • Dan ☮ R... ShelaKa... 2012/09/13 16:59:58
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    Definitely. Organic is likely cheaper, because those that eat organic are also usually much healthier. Some evidence also shows smarter, as I hear there are connections with gut health and brain health, and GMO and Pesticides primarily attack the gut.

Hopefully that proposition 37(?) in California passes. If it does, I'll be able to shop at the store far more easily. Even though it wont apply were I live, I can still use Californian labels as a reference.
  • Bunk11 ShelaKa... 2012/09/16 02:42:27
    Bunk11
    Recently published studies (in the news last week) show that eating organic food is no better than other foods. When I was on chemo for cancer, I was told to avoid organic food because it has a lot more bacteria, etc. than non-organic. If you like the taste or something, fine with me, but don't force your organic agenda on the rest of us. GMOs have not been shown to be harmful, and the evidence on pesticides is equivocal to say the least.
  • ShelaKa... Bunk11 2012/09/16 04:12:27
    ShelaKay0523
    I'm not trying to force anything on anyone. Talking about organic vs. non-organic with someone who has made it apparent that they feel the same way as I do isn't forcing anything on anyone. You don't have to read about it, and nobody is forcing you to buy organic.

GMOs have been shown in numerous tests to be harmful. Not all GMOs, but certain ones have been shown to reduce stomach lining, and lead to organ failure. There is research on both sides, but I'd like to point out that the research finding GMOs to be healthier, or at least the same as organics, is always (to my knowledge) funded by the companies who grow GMOs, although the same is true of organic companies finding organic foods healthier. The point is, pretty much all of the scientific research on either side is going to be biased towards wanting certain results. I would like to point out, however, that GMOs are either labeled or outlawed in almost every other developed nation.

I want GMOs to be labeled because I want to be able to make informed decisions when I shop. If GMOs become labeled then nobody will force you not to buy them, the ONLY difference will be that you'll know the difference when you shop. Saying that it's forcing my agenda on you is like saying that putting the number of calories in food on the label ...

I want GMOs to be labeled because I want to be able to make informed decisions when I shop. If GMOs become labeled then nobody will force you not to buy them, the ONLY difference will be that you'll know the difference when you shop. Saying that it's forcing my agenda on you is like saying that putting the number of calories in food on the label is forcing a calorie-conscious agenda. The information is there, and you can choose to ignore it. All I want is for the information to be available because I know that I would use it, and I know that people who wouldn't use it could easily ignore it.
  • Bunk11 ShelaKa... 2012/09/16 23:30:00
    Bunk11
    The information on calories was already available. I read in on the reverse side of the tray liner when I go to McDonald's and often check Web sites. Those who care will find out. Restaurants shouldn't be forced to use up valuable informational space for those who don't. As for GMO being banned, that's a political decision by a bunch of Luddites, not a scientific one. I suppose I don't have any objection to labeling GMO produce, but people on your side typically want to ban it or harangue people into doing what they want. Your previous post fit into that category.
  • ShelaKa... Bunk11 2012/09/16 23:42:56
    ShelaKay0523
    I can honestly say I've never talked to someone who wanted to outright ban GMOs entirely.

I know the calories was already available, I was just using it as an example to make the point... the information is there, you can do with it what you please, same as information on GMOs, but it's obvious that you understood what I meant anyway lol

I don't think there is any law saying McDonalds has to post their calorie information on the drive through, it just has to be available in the restaurant somewhere if people ask. McDonald's posting it on their drive through is something they're choosing to do on their own. I know lots of fast food restaurants still don't do it. I agree with you that they shouldn't be forced to. As long as the information is available to any customer who asks, like in a pamphlet or on the tray liner, then as far as I'm concerned they're doing their job. Anything more is unnecessary.
  • Bunk11 ShelaKa... 2012/09/18 20:57:56
    Bunk11
    Well, the Euros you mentioned often ban GMOs. Whether it's really for health or just a way to sneak in a WTO-compliant trade barrier, I'll leave to you to guess. I'm not fully up on the laws, but some places have laws requiring the calorie counts in restaurants and I guess McD's decided to just put them everyplace.
  • Platinum Fangs 2012/09/13 01:00:58
    Platinum Fangs
    If your going to MickyDs, it's not to eat healthy.
  • Buoyant Leadraft 2012/09/13 00:48:29
    Buoyant Leadraft
    +1
    I NEVER EAT THERE! PEOPLE THAT DO ARE WORTHLESS EATERS THAT SUPPORT THE NWO BOVINE SPONGIFORM MAD COW MEAT MONEY MOGUL DEATH CARTEL!
  • Linkums Buoyant... 2012/09/13 00:52:25
    Linkums
    +6
    lol. Your comment was so over the top that I'm not sure whether it was intended to be a joke or not.
  • Buoyant... Linkums 2012/09/13 00:56:30 (edited)
    Buoyant Leadraft
    Thank you pumpkin. You have made me a very happy person tonight.
  • Lorenz0... Linkums 2012/09/13 00:57:26
    Lorenz0 W. ElMenzo
    If, it eas meant to be a joke, It wasn't funny! I think a Nut-Case, just, bsig nuts!
  • Sadiero... Buoyant... 2012/09/13 02:12:50
    Sadierose Dobson
    +1
    Wow, didn't realize i carried that much "weight" (ha ha play on words) eating Mickey D's $1.00 hamburger/no onions and a small chocolate shake once a month. I feel empowered.
  • Buoyant... Sadiero... 2012/09/13 02:17:03
    Buoyant Leadraft
    :-) That's the spirit! I do love McDoubles! Until they went over a 1$

:-*
    Michaela★
    +6
  • shadow76 Michaela★ 2012/09/13 03:36:28
    shadow76
    Don't people that have highly active jobs or lifestyles burn most of the calories anyway?
  • Buoyant... shadow76 2012/09/13 14:24:23
    Buoyant Leadraft
    +1
    i think so, i sit at a desk a lot. :-(
  • shadow76 Buoyant... 2012/09/17 11:29:10
    shadow76
    Oh I couldn't stand that myself, I stock groceries, my point is people should not judge others and just say all people who like Big Macs are fat! That is being judgemental and close minded!
  • Michaela★ shadow76 2012/09/13 20:38:09
    Michaela★
    Well yes, granted it depends who you are and your activity level on a daily basis.
  • shadow76 Michaela★ 2012/09/17 11:50:10
    shadow76
    So other people should not call others fat when they have never seen them or talk about obesity rates, when they are always redifing obesity down!
  • Michaela★ shadow76 2012/09/17 19:29:53
    Michaela★
    Yes I agree! I mean Im still overweight for sure but not as obese as I was at all, and so I know now because my activity level has deifntely increased and I dont weigh as much my daily calorie intake and all that is different. I guess just as long as you try to eat healthy (you sure dont need to be a calorie counter) and work out, thats all that matters :)
  • ShelaKa... Michaela★ 2012/09/13 04:36:21
    ShelaKay0523
    +1
    The average adult man, who is of a healthy weight and who gets a moderate amount of exercise, will burn around 2500 a day. The average adult female, healthy weight with moderate exercise, usually burns around 2000. The numbers go up and down for a variety of factors, but doctors generally recommend that nobody eat less than 1200 a day, because most people will lose weight at a very unhealthy rate that way.

But yes, your point still stands, and a very good point at that :-) Just specifying the numbers.
  • Michaela★ ShelaKa... 2012/09/13 20:39:00
    Michaela★
    +1
    oh okay sorry lol, my therapist told me those numbers but granted she isn't like a nutritionist or fitness trainer
  • ShelaKa... Michaela★ 2012/09/13 20:45:19
    ShelaKay0523
    I use this: http://www.caloriesperhour.co...

It's really accurate, based on the amount of weight I lost, and doing the math for how many calories I was burning vs. the amount I ate, assuming that 3500 calories is a pound of fat (which is about what all the sources say). It's a pretty cool tool :-)
  • Michaela★ ShelaKa... 2012/09/13 21:31:55
    Michaela★
    +1
    oh cool thanks :) I will defitnely check it out!
  • Rave Michaela★ 2012/09/14 05:52:54
    Rave
    +1
    1200 calories a day is too little even for most smaller women. At 1200 calories a day, you'll continue losing weight, even if you don't exercise, because your body needs exactly around 1200 calories a day just to function your organs/brain/muscles etc.
  • art1ej Michaela★ 2012/09/13 14:30:23
    art1ej
    +2
    That's really good that you're into being healthy....
  • Michaela★ art1ej 2012/09/13 20:39:37
    Michaela★
    +2
    thanks :) I used to be very far from healthy and I want to live a long life so I figured better late than never!
  • art1ej Michaela★ 2012/09/13 23:34:31
    art1ej
    +2
    Thats an awesome dude i wish ya the best...
  • Michaela★ art1ej 2012/09/13 23:42:11
    Michaela★
    +2
    thank you :)
  • Sin Michaela★ 2012/09/13 21:36:42
    Sin
    +2
    i think you are beautiful :3
    and even more so because you are working hard to achieve a goal ^_^
    good luck :D
  • Michaela★ Sin 2012/09/13 22:38:28
    Michaela★
    +1
    thank you! thats like the nicest thing I've been told in awhile lol :)
  • Sin Michaela★ 2012/09/13 22:40:46
    Sin
    +1
    if you ever need cheering up come and leave a comment on my profile or send me a mail ^_^
  • Michaela★ Sin 2012/09/13 23:19:19
    Michaela★
    +1
    ok thanks so much (:
  • Sin Michaela★ 2012/09/13 23:36:03
    Sin
    +1
    no problem ^_^
  • Trish Michaela★ 2012/09/15 11:13:16
    Trish
    Good for you, keep up the hard work! Have you ever thought of joining an after school team or marching band?
  • Michaela★ Trish 2012/09/15 16:33:30 (edited)
    Michaela★
    thanks so much! I have but I'm very invovled with the music program at school, being in select choir plus the regular chorus plus doing all-state and music festivals as much as I can and guitar class, lol, but I get to go to this really nice gym everyday for free, sometimes after hours when no one is there with my sister because she works there which is cool because we couldn't afford a gym membership for me
  • Bunk11 Michaela★ 2012/09/16 02:38:34
    Bunk11
    If you're a teenage girl, you probably need 2,000 - 2,250 calories a day, more if you're active. Teenage boys can add 750-1,000 to that number. Adult women typically need 2,000 - 2,250 and adult men 2,500 - 2,750 (or more, depending on size and level of activity), so you are not using up your full quota with one burger, not even close. You could eat a Big Mac, small fries and a regular Coke every day and not gain weight if you're at all careful with your other meals. A banana and a bunch of carrots (essentially all sugar) will not fill you up faster or keep you full longer than a meal with protein and fat. You've gotten a lot of bad information.

2014/09/23 22:39:51