Matthew's Language and Speech

Marlow ~ Let There Be Light 2012/02/19 04:42:27

It’s been a while since my last Matthew blog. I have been very busy, but it’s time I do
another. Matthew has become a talking
machine. From being a quiet little child
– so quiet we actually were worried about his language development – to now
where you can’t get him to be quiet for a moment. His vocabulary keeps increasing by the
day. Sometimes my wife and I wonder
where the heck he picked up that word, nothing outrageous or scandalous, but
just a word we don’t normally use. I
wish I could capture in writing every single word, and I really wish we could
record him. That toddler voice is so
precious. I know he needs to outgrow it,
but it just seems to resonate within me like a nicely tuned instrument. His words seem to come in three categories:
words he articulates nicely, words he articulates with a toddler “accent,”
which for the most part are comprehensible, and words which seem to come from a
completely different language, a language that is no earthly language I’ve ever
heard, “English”(I suppose) from an unnamed continent.

My worries over his language lag stopped around Thanksgiving
when Matthew said his first three syllable word. What you may ask was his first three syllable
word? In typical Matthew swagger he
walks up to me and takes out of his mouth a little white stick with a candy on
the tip and says, “lol-li-pop.”
Lollipop. I had to do a double
take. He didn’t just say it as you and I
would. He emphasized the last syllable
as if that last syllable contained all the energy of the noun: lol-li-POP!

And then he started saying simple sentences such as “I
like.” He says that with a smile. Or if he bursts into a run he says, “I’m
running.” The best is when he says, “I’m
naked again.” He says that when I take
his clothes off for a bath. “You’re
naked again,” I say as I’m undressing him on my bed, and he responds, “I’m
naked again.” With that he usually
climbs down off the bed and starts buff nude sprinting across the
upstairs. “I’m naked again, I’m running,
I’m naked again, I’m running.” All I can
say is I’m raising a little streaker.
This unfortunately has become a repeated game he likes to play. He runs naked from the master bedroom to his
bedroom and hides behind a chair. So I
come in after him and pretend I don’t see him.
He hides in the same exact place every time.

“Where’s Matthew?”

“Mat-pew gone!” a squeaky voice says.

“Oh my God, Matthew’s gone.
Where did he go? What am I going
to do now? Matthew’s gone!”

“Gone, gone, gone!”

After pretending to look for him behind the crib, behind the
window shades, inside the closet, inside his toy chest, and with each
unsuccessful search hearing him rattle off a giggle, I finally close in on him
behind the chair. “There he is,” I say,
and then he giggles with “Mat-pew back.”

We also have conversations.
I do love our conversations. “What
did you do today,” I say when I come home from work.

“Cwying,” he says forlornly.

“Crying? Why? What happened?”

“Aye fell.”

“You fell?”

“Yessss.” He over
articulates the end sound in yes.

“Did you get hurt?”

“Boo boos. Boo boos.”

“Boo boos? Where?”

“Boo boos leg.” or sometimes, “Boo boos tchin.”

And then when I’m explaining something, he strangely starts
repeating the last word of my sentences.
He might bring over one of his toys that aren’t functioning. “It doesn’t run because we need to change the
battery,” I say.

“Battawee,” he echoes.

“Let’s get the screwdriver to open it.”

“Open et.” Then he
clings to my arm looking.

“See. We have to
unscrew and open the door.”

“Door.”

“We take the old one out.”

“Out”

“We put the new one in.”

“New in.”

“And we close it back up.”

“Quose back up.”

I guess he’s learning words this way.

One of the more disagreeable speech habits Matthew has is
his frequent use of the word “no.” When you
ask him to do something, his first response quite often is no, whether he means
it or not. “Let’s go eat dinner now,” I
might say. “No,” he’ll respond. But he’s already on his way as he’s saying
the word.

“Let’s read your fire engine book.”

“No.

“Your Good Dog Carl book?”

“No. No, no, no.”

“It’s time to take a bath.”

“No.” And then he’ll
ponder for a second. “Naked again.”

“Time to kiss mommy goodnight.”

“No-aaaah,” he’ll say sophisticated like.

“It’s time for bed.”

That’s when he really barks out a “NOOOO.”

“Don’t tell me no.
You do that again and you’ll get punished. Into your pajamas.”

“Nooo,” he says elongating the vowel while transforming the
no into a crying wail. “Aye punished,”
he’ll say in between sobs. “Aye
punished.” “You’re not punished, not
yet, so let’s go.” And he comes along.

Another word he uses a lot is “more.” When he likes something you’ve given him,
he’ll come back with a “more.” Or even
when we’re driving and he sees a bus.
“Bus,” he’ll call out from the rear.
He has affection for buses and he watches carefully at the traffic.

“That’s a little bus,” I say.

“Car-os.” We have an
inside thing where all bus drivers are named Carlos. It’s from one of his kiddy songs.

“Yes, Carlos. He’s
got a hat on. Say bye bye”

“Bye bye.” When the
bus passes, Matthew says “more.”

“More?” I can’t make another bus come.”

“More, he demands.
“More, more, more”

But I have to admit, he’s really learned to be polite, at
least when he’s well rested. “Dank you,” he says every time you give him
something. We’ve had people who hardly
know him impressed with how naturally he says “dank you.” He hasn’t gotten the complete hang of “oo
el-com” but occasionally he let’s one out.
He does, if you remind him, say “ha-bless you” when someone sneezes.

Which brings me to words I can’t understand. Let me preface this by saying that there are
possibly more words I don’t understand than I do. Some words I get after a few repetitions by
figuring out the context. Some words my
wife, who seems to have a better handle at comprehending him, translates for
me. But some words I go days, even
weeks, before it finally dawns on me what he’s been trying to say.

“What do you want for lunch today, Matthew,” I asked one
day.

“Yolees.”

“Yolees?”

“Yolees,” he repeats.

My wife raises her eyebrows at me. “Don’t you know?” she says. “It’s raviolis. It’s his favorite.”

Then there were the times sitting in the car he would say
“wumperwush.” He would say it
repeatedly, “wumperwush “. I turned to
my wife and asked what’s he trying to say, and she shrugged not knowing. I don’t know how long that when on, weeks
certainly. Finally I happened to be
turning around from my driver’s seat while he said “wumperwish” and noticed his
index fingers swing in unison back and forth. I then realized what he was trying to
say. Windshield wipers! He wanted me to swish the windshield wipers.

I started giving him the corks from my wine bottles to play
with. He liked collecting them and would
hold them in his hand. He came up to us
at the dinner table and asked for another.
When he asked, it left my wife and me with our mouths open in
shock. He didn’t pronounce that third
letter, and how it came out sounded like a very vulgar word: “Co-k.” “Where did he learn that?” my wife, aghast,
turned to me with an accusing look. The
room seemed to hold tension for what felt like minutes. I cycled my brain to try to remember the last
time I might have used that word, and I know I hadn’t in ages. I wanted to say, “I swear that didn’t come
from me,” but he saved me by holding open his left hand with an old cork in it
and said, “co-k.” Oh what relief on our
faces that brought. And then we doubled
over in laughter. “Make sure he never
says that in public,” my wife says through her chortling.

There are many examples of words that I fail to understand
for repeated moments. I feel so helpless
when he says something and he expects me to react and I just haven’t a
clue. Here’s a short list of some. “Schwacks” (tracks for a train set), “piptar”
(guitar), “paxy” (foxy, his favorite stuffed animal), “eye keening” (I’m
cleaning), “eye eyeting” (I’m writing), “eyesize” (exercise), “sci-tuck” (fire
truck), “Um pick dar” (I’m a rock star), and one that had me going for weeks, “a-davis”
(pajamas). And finally on a number of occasions
he said “he shawn.”

“What?” I asked, completely at a loss and no wife around to
turn to for help.

“He-shawn.” He looked
at me as if I had two heads. “He-shawn
he repeated.

“Schezuan?” No he
couldn’t mean the Chinese region.

“He-shawn.” It was as
if we were two from foreign countries from opposite sides of the earth. “He-shawn.”
“He-shawn.” It’s amazing how he
can just keep repeating without getting frustrated. He must think I’m a dope. Finally one day, and I don’t know how long
this had been going on, I got it. “This
one!” “This one.” He was pointing to something.

Then there are times when he seems so precocious. One day he bursts in through the front door
from being on an excursion with his mother and declares in a voice that seems
ten years older, “Daddy, I’m back,” the emphasis on “back” like he had for “pop”
in lollipop. Oh, that little boy of
mine.

How about some pictures from over the last few months. Here’s to lolli-POP.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/virgil_015/005-3-1-1.jpg

And Christmas at my mother’s house.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/virgil_015/022-1.jpg

We haven’t had much snow this winter, but we did get a few
inches one day.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/virgil_015/011-5-1.jpg

Ok, not sure I really look all that good here, but here’s to
age and beauty together.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/virgil_015/003-2-1.jpg

And finally one taken the other day, Matthew at full
personality.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/virgil_015/010-5-1.jpg

• darlene 2012/02/19 05:29:00
    darlene
    +7
    Matthew is absolutely precious! I love all the photos. You and your wife are doing a wonderful job! Blessings to your family three. Hugs, Eva thumbs up

• Danielle 2013/09/04 15:51:46 (edited)
  • Marlow ... Danielle 2013/09/05 11:55:25
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    Adopting him is by far the best thing I've ever done in my life. Yes, most of the time it is a piece of heaven, but there are those occasions where's he's a pain the ass...lol. I love him to death!
  • Leasheryn/Lady Willpower 2013/02/15 02:02:09
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    I remember when my nephew was learning to talk. He said the cutest words, like Ogurt for yogurt and Ackle for Apple. It just captures your heart. My nephew, Alex, graduated from high school last year and has spent his first semistar in college. My how time flies. It seems like it was just yesterday when he was asking for an "ogurt" or an "ackle". :-))
  • Marlow ... Leasher... 2013/02/15 05:14:13
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    Thank you for stopping by Lea. :)
  • Leasher... Marlow ... 2013/02/16 02:56:53
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    You're welcome. :-))
  • Amy ...AKA Dudess 2012/03/31 00:07:04
    Amy ...AKA Dudess
    +1
    Oh Marlow! this is really precious! Doesnt it feel like you are just learning to talk when he says things you dont understand? My granddaughter will be 2 and she will come in and see my soda and say dwink. and then start jumping up and down dwink dwink dwink till I finally hold the straw for her so she can have her dwink.
  • Marlow ... Amy ...... 2012/03/31 04:55:54
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    LOL, that's very cute. :) I can't believe you're a grandmother, but hey that's great!
  • Amy ...... Marlow ... 2012/03/31 17:44:53
    Amy ...AKA Dudess
    +1
    my oldest grandchild is 9 will be 10 in Oct. I have step grandkids that are older so I have been a grandma for years LOL
  • jessiesgirl4463 2012/03/25 09:26:03
    jessiesgirl4463
    +2
    He is growing so beautiful! (and so beautifully lol). I can just imagine how sweet he sounds from how sweet he looks. Its so cool that you are keeping track of all the things he does they grow so fast. (I keep a journal for each of my grand daughters because I know I wont always remember in exact detail these precious things they do) Blessings to you and your family Marlow and thank you for sharing these wonderful times with us:)
  • Marlow ... jessies... 2012/03/31 04:57:11
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    Thanks Jessie. Yes, I hope he will enjoy all this someday. :) At least it will show just how much I love him.
  • travele... Marlow ... 2012/03/31 06:35:19
    traveler818
    +2
    Your love for Matthew is blatantlly obviouis :)
  • jessies... Marlow ... 2012/03/31 22:09:41 (edited)
    jessiesgirl4463
    +1
    Thank you for sharing:) and I think he will enjoy this greatly!! My ten year old grand daughter loves to read her journal (or have me read it to her) I dont think there will ever be any doubt about how much you love him:)

oh yea my 16 month old is beginning to talk I had almost forgotten just how sweet and cute it is...she loves the outdoors but when she wants to go she doesnt say outside she says "ow-b-side" I think these "journals" we keep of them will also let them see what a total joy they are to us...
  • traveler818 2012/03/22 00:26:13 (edited)
    traveler818
    +1
    Take 3--2 paragraphs got erased and I feel too tired to do it a 3d time. Briefly, your blog, as always, was delightful. I love the bedroom game. Matthew keeps getting more and more handsome and is obviously a happy child. Not sure when my former son started his NO with the footstomp. Then around age 5, the why stage. Why? why? why?--I think you'll handle it. it drives younger parents nuts. All in all, great job. If any two people belonged together, it's you two/three. I think you have a little genius there. He is so cute.
  • Marlow ... travele... 2012/03/31 04:58:00
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    LOL! Thank you Traveler. He drives me nuts sometimes now, not looking forward to the why stage. :)
  • travele... Marlow ... 2012/03/31 06:32:26
    traveler818
    +1
    One purpose of a child is to learn patience, which we usually flunk so if you ever feel like you are losing, its normal--kids know how to make you feel guilty over nothing.. I was young and had no parenting models which left me wide open. Had it been different, I would have nipped it in the bud. I suspect that you will as soon as you learn to recognize the game. An example" "Where are we going?" "To the store," "Why?" Because we need groceries." "Why?" "So we can eat." Why? Because if we don't eat, we get hungry and sick.."Why?"

You have been warned. You are especially vulnerable because what I see in Matthew is a genius. Hopefully, you are just as intelligent. Regardless of IQ, kids manage to outsmart us at every turn. But you have the double benefit/curse, 1) the benefit of knowing what life is about and thus being old enough to raise him wisely. and
    2) too old to chase him down the street, though you could surprise me on that one.

All in all, I see a happy well-adjusted kid who gets all the love he can take. You will handle the ups and downs, if it means putting him in Moms care and taking a brisk walk. The why stage was nuts. How it ended I don't know, but it didn't last too long. I think it is an attention grabbing game.

After that stage, I recall so...

After that stage, I recall some good peaceful years, then the dreaded teens paid a visit, My former son, age 40,is still at that stage. (Not to panic, he had a lot of external help staying a child. Not the least of which all the people who felt he should be able to see for his first 8 years, than go blind in one eye for the rest of his life). No way will he ever forgive me for doing all I could to save his eye--he resents it!! I was following doctors orders in a do or die effort to save his eye. To quote all the people in my life who never went with me to the doctor--never got that facts, but rather repeated, "the poor baby." in front of him making it clear that i was the bad guy. They practically drooled saliva .Nevermind. I had to spend 2 to 3 dollars a day on those patches,) rent was $300,00, income under $400.00: what was left? He chewed them up. maybe he would like to be a pirate. NO!

No sugar coating-the why stage sucks. but you have life experience on your side. You are truly blessed though if you don't already, you might take up jogging. Those little critters are fast.
  • CeeCee47 2012/03/18 12:50:02
    CeeCee47
    +1
    Hello Marlow, I know it's been a while, hope all is well with you, Matthew is getting so big, my goodness how time flies, he looks like such a happy baby, I still want the cheeks, thanks for sharing Marlow, it's always appreciated :-)
  • Marlow ... CeeCee47 2012/03/19 03:00:00
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    My pleasure CeeCee. I'll always include you on blogs. You're such a nice person.
  • CeeCee47 Marlow ... 2012/07/06 18:19:08
    CeeCee47
    +1
    Thank you Marlow, I know it's been a while, Little Matthew must be big now, hope all is well :-)
  • Marlow ... CeeCee47 2012/07/06 18:33:55
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    He's thirty-four months and quite a charmer. You're welcome and I'm due for a new blog. I'll send you the link when I post it. Hope everything is well with you. :)
  • CeeCee47 Marlow ... 2012/07/06 18:51:03
    CeeCee47
    +1
    WOW, 34 months, time is flying, please keep me included, although I'm not on SH much, I'd like to keep informed about his growth, pretty soon Marlow, he will be asking for the keys to the car, LOL :-)

baby driving car
  • Marlow ... CeeCee47 2012/07/06 18:57:16
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    LOL, he already is! He wants to sit in the front and play with the steering wheel and buttons. Of course we're in park when I let him.
  • CeeCee47 Marlow ... 2012/07/06 18:58:40
    CeeCee47
    +1
    LOL Marlow, get ready, he's in training, LOL, I know he must be lots and lots of fun and I know he has lots of conversation for you guys :-)
  • MQ-American Values Again (AVA) 2012/02/29 07:31:59
    MQ-American Values Again (AVA)
    +1
    Oh my goodness he's the most precious little boy in the world Marlow... and it just melts my heart reading how you write the stories about him with love in every word... it is a beautiful bond you are building with your son ... one no one can ever take away .... how lucky for both of you that you came into each others world and made it as one... I'm so touched.... luv you Marlow... you are a wonderful daddy to that wonderful beautiful fabulous little boy Matthew....♥hugs♥
  • Marlow ... MQ-Amer... 2012/02/29 13:25:02 (edited)
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    Thank you so much MQ. That is about as kind a comment as one can imagine. Bless your heart. I wish I could give you a 1000 raves.
    +2
    How precious .. enjoy these years .. (and you both are doing wonderfully as parents!)
  • Marlow ... sglmom 2012/02/29 13:25:41
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    Thank you sglmom. I'm glad you stopped by. God bless you and your family.
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2012/02/27 21:27:41
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +2
    I love all your stories. I don't know how I missed this one. He's getting so big and is so so cute. Hugs from me....a Sodahead auntie!
  • Marlow ... Hula gi... 2012/02/29 13:26:54
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    I can swear I sent you a link, but if I didn't, I meant to but accidently skipped over you on my list. Thank you Hula. I'm glad you enjoy them.
  • Shigyrl but outspoken on my... 2012/02/27 17:41:24
    Shigyrl but outspoken on my future
    +2
    Matthew seems to be doing great. Your right not to worry about his language skills. Because the fact he can change a sentence that applies to him is great. His pics are great. He is so stinking cute and it seems your baby is not a baby anymore. Keep up the good work friend.
  • Marlow ... Shigyrl... 2012/02/27 20:39:12
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +2
    Thank you. Hope everything is well with you and your child. God bless. :)
  • Shigyrl... Marlow ... 2012/02/27 20:53:41
    Shigyrl but outspoken on my future
    +2
    Thank you..we are getting over the stomach flu. It is a nasty one to. :-)
  • Marlow ... Shigyrl... 2012/02/27 20:58:38
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +2
    Feel better. Luckily that has come our way.
  • Shigyrl... Marlow ... 2012/02/27 20:54:47
    Shigyrl but outspoken on my future
    +2
  • ★Calliope★ 2012/02/27 13:02:47
    ★Calliope★
    +2
    Gorgeous boy!

It's hilarious when they start speaking. Bless you all.
  • Marlow ... ★Calliope★ 2012/02/27 13:29:43
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +2
    Thank you Cal. God bless you ands your family.
  • ★Calliope★ Marlow ... 2012/02/28 05:20:28
    ★Calliope★
    +2
    Thank you!

You should have heard my son say 'firetruck'.
  • Marlow ... ★Calliope★ 2012/02/29 13:27:52
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    LOL, yeah we were worried about that too but on that one he didn't say it in a way that embarressed us.
  • travele... ★Calliope★ 2012/03/31 06:37:24
  • Arizona1950 2012/02/27 03:47:45
    Arizona1950
    +3
    Congrats dad! He sounds adorable and there is no question that he is adored. :-)
  • Marlow ... Arizona... 2012/02/27 13:00:23
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +3
    Thank you my friend. I'm glad you stopped by. :)

2014/12/22 19:12:07