Matthew and the Holidays

Marlow ~ Let There Be Light 2011/01/04 04:53:40
Related Topics: Family, Haircut, Thanksgiving

Matthew and the Holidays

People have asked about Matthew and the holidays. I’ll try to fill you in, but I’ll have to be brief. First I’m not sure what I’ve already said, so this may be duplication in places. Second, I’m not sure I remember everything that’s happened. I turned 49 this past month, and my memory isn’t what it used to be. :p There certainly been a lot of holidays and events. Matthew got an “introduction to the extended family and friends” party in November, and then there was Thanksgiving, Chanukah, a family gathering, Christmas, and New Years. It’s been eventful, and I probably got a thousand pictures between it all. As of a few days ago, Matthew is now 16 months old.

The big highlights: Matthew learned to walk in mid November. He was trying in the worst way and finally he put two or three steps together and the next day ten, and by a week or so he was running up and down the house. Amazing once they get it how fast they progress. Of course he fell a lot, and he still does. He met Santa for the first time and left Santa a little present – he peed on Santa’s lap. :lol:

The eye patch now has to be worn five hours a day and the operation to align the eyes may be shortly. We’ll find out on Friday at his next ophthalmologist appointment. He was doing so well in tolerating the patch until this week. Now when we’re not looking he takes it off.

His personality seems to be really developing. Three qualities seem to be standing out. Actually these are three he’s had since we’ve first met him, only now they’re more prominent. First, he’s incredibly inquisitive. He loves being carried in my arms and pointing to things and wanting to touch and feel and take things apart. Do all babies do this? He’ll point his finger at something at say “ooh.” He points at everything. Occasionally he sticks his thumb out when he points, like he’s forming the letter ”L.” I’m convinced he’s secretly calling me a LOSER, winking to his mother, “Daddy’s a loser.” :lol: Anyway he strikes me as incredibly bright. I mentioned this to the adoption councilor who came to check over our home situation for his report and he said he hears that from all the parents. Oh well, he strikes me as smarter than me.

Second quality is his happy nature. He likes to smile and giggle all the time. What a good natured little boy. It’s so easy to make him laugh. Just make a funny face or startle him in a playful way and he’s giggles. Today I got him to climb on my back and we went for a horsey ride and he couldn’t stop laughing and kept climbing back for more. Maybe all babies are this way, I don’t know. We just have fun. (Actually this reminds me of the Hamlet soliloquy when Hamlet finds the skull: “Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow/of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath/borne me on his back a thousand times”) Now I sit him on my knee and go over to my computer and to youtube and play children’s songs. Of course he’s got me hooked on them too. He swings his arm to the beat and stares at the screen and tries to reach for the keys. He loves to press buttons but I have to stop him from messing up the computer.

Third quality is a gregarious nature. He loves people and never seems to cry when people he hardly knows pick him up. He kind of gives them a smile and goes to them. Or now he plays with them. He’s learned how to shake his head “no.” He shakes and then throws them a smile and runs off. But then he’ll come to them eventually. He seems like a very confident little boy. By the way he hasn’t learned how to nod “yes” correctly yet; he kind of rocks his whole head and shoulders back and forth. He thinks he can get away with anything with a smile.

Anyway, so much for my fatherly boasting. Here are some pictures going back these few weeks.

Here he is at his “introduction” party, being the ham that he is. He’s such a natural host.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/virgil_015/021-3-1.jpg

This was taken at Thanksgiving. That tongue roll thing is another of his mannerisms.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/virgil_015/016-4-1.jpg

Here he is running up and down the dining room:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/virgil_015/056-1.jpg

This is what Grandma got him for Chanukah. It’s some sort of percussive table to drum away on. He likes tapping at it and his hand coordination has really improved from it.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/virgil_015/080-1.jpg

This is at a restaurant at a family event. He takes control like he’s a CEO of a corporation. I call him my little emperor. :D

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/virgil_015/111-2-1.jpg

These next two are opening gifts at Christmas. I love the expression on the second one. You can see his hair has also grown in. In fact he could probably use a haircut, or a least a trim. My wife wants to take him to one of these mall hair places. I suppose they’re called hair salons. I’m taking him to my old fashion Italian barber that I’ve been going to for thirty years back in Brooklyn. ;)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/virgil_015/155-1.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/virgil_015/159-1.jpg

Here he is with his mother out after the major snowstorm we just had. You can see how it’s unplowed and it went unplowed for three days.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/virgil_015/189-1.jpg

And finally here at New Year’s eve. No he did not drink any Champagne. :p

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/virgil_015/016-5-1.jpg

• ITALIAN CLICKER 2011/01/04 05:28:47
    ITALIAN CLICKER
    +12
    HI MY FRIEND,
    ADORABLE--THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING MATTHEW - HE'S GOT YOU JUST WHERE HE WANTS YOU--ALL TO HIMSELF! YOU COULDN'T WANT FOR ANYTHING MORE! NOW HE'S WALKING, THE FUN HAS JUST BEGUN!
    MAY YOUR BLESSINGS BE ENDLESS!
    VICKI

• Guess~GOD GOT IT~ 2011/01/16 06:03:08
    Guess~GOD GOT IT~
    +1
    I'm so happy for you and yours may life bring yall much joy. Thanks for sharing, God bless!
  • Marlow ... Guess~G... 2011/01/18 13:38:28
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    My pleasure Guess. Thank you for your kind words. :)
  • jessiesgirl4463 2011/01/14 03:27:02
    jessiesgirl4463
    +1
    Marlow your son growns more adorable each time I see him! :)
    this is just me...but I think children who are curious are very bright. They want to learn and soak up the knowledge like sponges (and it sounds to me as if he has a good teacher:)
    I love his rosy chubby cheeks!!! Thank you for sharing these wonderful times in your family's life:)
  • Marlow ... jessies... 2011/01/14 15:47:39
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    My pleasure. His cheeks really get rosy when it's hot in the room. Thank you so much Jessie. :)
  • jessies... Marlow ... 2011/01/14 21:05:34
    jessiesgirl4463
    +1
    Youre welcome Marlow:) I love rosy cheeks my grand daughter does the same thing. Cant resist nibbling them lol.
  • Marlow ... jessies... 2011/01/15 04:10:52 (edited)
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    You're old enough to have a grand daughter! Thought you were a faily young mother. ;)

Edit: I just checked you age on your profile and you're younger than me!
  • jessies... Marlow ... 2011/01/17 01:39:26
    jessiesgirl4463
    +1
    LOL yes I am old enough to have a grand daughter! My oldest one, Lily turned 9 in December my baby girl Sophia was born November 1st...it's like starting all over again! My son in law has two from a previous marriage as well 11 and 9 so I have four beautiful grand daughters:)
  • Marlow ... jessies... 2011/01/18 13:39:18
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    God bless them, and God bless the youthful grandmother. ;)
  • jessies... Marlow ... 2011/01/19 01:24:00
    jessiesgirl4463
    +1
    Thank you Marlow:) and Blessings to your beautiful family!
  • NZArkie08: In God We Trust. 2011/01/12 04:50:15
    NZArkie08:  In God We Trust.
    +1
    Thanks for the wonderful report on Mathew, and your life with him!! The pictures are priceless!!
    He looks like a precious little boy! I will keep him, and you all in my prayers, for his eye surgery to be successful, and go well. God Bless you!
  • Marlow ... NZArkie... 2011/01/12 05:11:29
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +2
    God bless you Arkie. That is very kind. May God shgine on you and your family. :)
  • NZArkie... Marlow ... 2011/01/12 05:27:43
    NZArkie08:  In God We Trust.
    +1
    You are welcome Marlow!!
  • K 2011/01/11 19:51:19
    K
    +1
    Thats a gorgeous little boy you have. From where did you adopt him? How long was your process. We live in Canada and depending on the situation, it could be up to ten years from the day you begin the process until the day youre actually united with the child. Seems like a long time to me.
  • Marlow ... K 2011/01/11 20:04:21
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    He was adopted from Kazakhstan, a former Soviet Union sattelite, now its own country. I think we started the application process in May of 2007 and he was officially handed over to us on Sept 2nd, 2010. So over three years, but we lost a year because we started with Vietnam as the country to adopt from and then the US State Department had to shut down the adoption program with them. Ten years is ridiculous. I thought two or three years was extreme. If you look though my list of questions asked here on Sodahead, you'll find about fifteen or more blogs on the adoption, mostly through this past year where we met our child in Kazakhstan and went through their court system. Feel free to read them.
  • K Marlow ... 2011/01/11 20:20:04
    K
    +1
    Oh awesome thanks. He looks like trouble right from the word go! Haha. He is a pretty adorable little guy. Congrats! :)
  • Marlow ... K 2011/01/11 21:06:19
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    Actually he's very good. The doctor says too good in that he'll go to anyone (which could be a danger) and that he might become too passive. But we're working on it. Thanks. :)
  • K Marlow ... 2011/01/11 23:24:59
    K
    +1
    Oh I see, well Im sure as he gets a little older and a little more mobile, he will get into a little more trouble and get into that "boys will be boys" type personality :)

He is an adorable little dude.
  • FREED Speaks Up 2011/01/11 19:39:01
    FREED Speaks Up
    +2
    Matthew is a jewel!
    matthew jewel precious
  • Marlow ... FREED S... 2011/01/11 19:42:51
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    Thank you my friend. :) Hope you are well and had a wonderful Christmas.
  • Diamond Girl 2011/01/10 19:13:07
  • Marlow ... Diamond... 2011/01/10 20:06:55
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    I am very proud, thank you. God bless you. :)
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2011/01/10 01:12:34
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    So so cute. Looks like he's fully adapted to his American life and living it up. Keep sending pictures and stories.
  • Marlow ... Hula gi... 2011/01/10 18:49:28
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    Yes, he has. I will, thank you. :)
  • belle 2011/01/08 03:27:07
    belle
    +1
    It is so great you have all these pictures to show him in the future. I hope you keep copies of the blogs you have written about him on SH to share with him when he is older. They show just have much love you and your family have for him. He is a lucky boy and you and your wife are for sure lucky parents.
  • Marlow ... belle 2011/01/10 18:50:49
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    These blogs are really for him. I am keeping them. It would be nice if Sodahead still existed and he could read all the lovely comments. I think he has brought so much love and joy all around. Thank you for your kindness Belle.
  • belle Marlow ... 2011/01/10 20:54:59
    belle
    +1
    take copies of a few comments from some of the blogs for him to see in the future,
    Glad things are going so well for all of you.
  • Sheila 2011/01/07 19:58:02
    Sheila
    +1
    But Marlow he CAN get away with anything with a smile if you are like most first time parents! LOL! Don't worry he is way to young to spoil yet! I love hearing about your life with Matthew. I reminds me of the joy of having very little ones. I am currently into the tribulations of teenagers, so I need the reminding every so often! LOL! Best wishes for a GREAT new year!!
  • Marlow ... Sheila 2011/01/08 01:41:31
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +2
    He gets away with everything when it comes to me. My wife has learned to be the disciplinarian...lol. I don't look forward to teenager problems. Thank you for your kind words. You have a great New Year too!
  • Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~ 2011/01/06 22:54:26
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +1
    Awww....he's adorable. Such rosy cheeks and such an engaging smile. It sounds like you're having the time of your life as a father. Congratulations, Marlow - I'm very happy for you all.
  • Marlow ... Ali ~ I... 2011/01/08 01:41:56
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    Thank you so much Ali. Bless you. :)
  • emmamess ~ In My Conscience... 2011/01/06 12:58:33
    emmamess ~ In My Conscience I Trust ~`
    +2
    He is so sweet - I love the interest he shows in music and he certainly does look like he could run a large corporation. as for cutting his beautiful locks? I wouldn't - not until he can say for himself if he wants it cut.
  • Marlow ... emmames... 2011/01/06 13:05:33
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +2
    My wife and I are in a stalemate on cutting it. So I guess it will go uncut for a while longer. Thanks for stopping by. Happy New Year! :)
  • emmames... Marlow ... 2011/01/06 13:07:55
    emmamess ~ In My Conscience I Trust ~`
    +2
    Happy New Year to you and Yours as well!
  • bacon bits 2011/01/06 09:37:21
    bacon bits
    +1
    first of all I want to wish you a very blessed and prosperous New Year! God bless you and your new family! Matthew is just so adorable I could just squeeze those rosy cheeks!!!!! He's grown so much since last I saw him Manny! Wonderful parents he has!

BTW...you're not a loser! lol squeeze rosy cheeks grown manny parents btw loser lol happy new year 2011
  • Marlow ... bacon bits 2011/01/06 12:20:01
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    LOL, thank you BB. Happy New Year to you!
  • Merna 2011/01/06 04:16:05
    Merna
    +1
    He looks adorable! And sounds like a great kid too!
  • Marlow ... Merna 2011/01/06 12:20:21
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    Thank you Merna. :)
  • Angel 2011/01/06 03:53:00
    Angel
    +1
    lol he just gets more precious Marlow
  • Marlow ... Angel 2011/01/06 12:20:41
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    Thank you Angel. :)
  • safari 2011/01/06 02:50:26
    safari
    +1
    I am so glad to read about all of the changes happening in his life. He is one lucky little boy to have you. May God bless and keep you all safe this coming year. He is sooooooooooooooooooo cute!!! :)

2014/10/23 11:46:16