Maryland Marriage Equality: 14-Year-Old Girl Pleads With Senate Officials To Vote Against Gay Marriage On Her Birthday

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/02/01 05:24:38

Whether or not same-sex marriage will be legalized in Maryland remains to be seen, but one local girl has made her stance on the issue clear.

The girl, who identifies herself as Sarah and says she is home-schooled, told Maryland's Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee that not only was it her 14th birthday, but that it "would be the best birthday present ever if you would vote no on gay marriage."

She goes on to note, "I really feel bad for kids who have two parents of the same gender...I don't want any more kids to get confused about what's right and OK."

She concludes, "People have the choice to be gay, but I don't want to be affected by their choice."

Among those unlikely to agree with her are Gov. Martin O'Malley, who urged lawmakers in what Reuters has deemed an "unusual personal testimony" at the same event to approve marriage equality. "The very reason for our state's founding was for religious freedom. At the heart of religious freedom is respect for the freedom of individual conscience," he said. "The way forward, the way to sustain and enhance our common life together, is equal respect for the freedom of all," he said in unusual personal testimony that underscored the importance he attaches to the measure.

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/31/maryland-...

• Mark 2012/02/01 06:36:35
    Mark
    +19
    Not surprising. Since she's home-schooled, she has no idea of how humans interact with each other. Nor does she have any clue that there are actually people with lives outside of her own family. It's pathetic that parents are able to abuse their children enough to brainwash them like this.

• seathan... Micha V... 2012/02/03 05:40:26
    seathanaich
    +2
    "I don't understand why people are so against gay marriage"

Religious hatred and religious ignorance.
  • Micha V... seathan... 2012/02/03 15:12:36
    Micha Vengeance Way
    I guess.
  • Maya Zauberman 2012/02/01 16:26:14
    Maya Zauberman
    +4
    How the hell does it affect her?
  • elijahin24 2012/02/01 16:23:13
    elijahin24
    +7
    Someone here, certainly is confused, but it isn't who she thinks it is. Sarah is home-schooled, presumably by fundamentalist, Bible-thumping Christians. I suppose we shouldn't be surprised. I'm trying to remember the story in the Bible, of the death of John The Baptist. If memory serves, I believe it was Herods daughter, or niece; who had done something to please Herod; so he offered her anything she wanted. Her request, was the head of John, on a platter. This girl may not be requesting violence; but her birthday wish is no less hateful.
  • harasnicole 2012/02/01 14:01:44
    harasnicole
    +5
    I wish she had a different name.

I can't even articulate my thoughts right now because they're all over the place. So many things to say, but nothing will settle down long enough for me to say it (or in this case, type it). I just... I don't understand how someone's being gay would affect her personally.
  • HunnyB 2012/02/01 12:02:53
    HunnyB
    +6
    "I really feel bad for kids who have two parents of the same gender...I don't want any more kids to get confused about what's right and OK."
    feel kids parents gender kids confused

"I don’t care who anybody sleeps with. If a couple has been together all that time - and there are gay relationships that are more solid than some heterosexual ones - I think it’s fine if they want to get married. I don’t know how people can get so anti-something. Mind your own business, take care of your affairs, and don’t worry about other people so much.” ~Betty White~
  • Commrade#371 2012/02/01 10:58:26
    Commrade#371
    +4
    Your average American stands more against the ideas of Universal Freedom than most people would imagine. Sigh, well despite this little girls brainwashed "pleas" I have no doubts that gay marraige will be legalized.
  • BUCCANEER~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/02/01 10:03:30
    BUCCANEER~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    Lets hope and pray there are many more like her
  • seathan... BUCCANE... 2012/02/03 05:41:11
    seathanaich
    +1
    There are millions of hateful religionists like her. More's the pity.
  • wolfshadow 2012/02/01 09:35:40 (edited)
    wolfshadow
    +8
    There is a reason 14 year olds don't have the right to vote... don't see why they should have a right to ask anyone to vote on something they cant participate in and they should tell her parents to stop preaching hate to her and making her their mouth piece. How does gay marriage impact her life? If she is so against gay marriage... she shouldn't have one.

BUT.... here's a message for her AND her parents....

+10
    Like this girl hasn't been brainwashed very throughly. SAD VERY SAD.
  • Níl mé leat 2012/02/01 07:05:42
    Níl mé leat
    +11
    This girl makes me so greatful for the family I grew up in, they taught me acceptance for all.
  • Mark 2012/02/01 06:36:35
    Mark
    +19
  • Kashee 2012/02/01 06:25:50
    Kashee
    +8
    Makes me ill.
  • Helmholtz 2012/02/01 06:14:30
    Helmholtz
    +14
    Home schooled you say? I'm shocked. Shocked!
  • Undead Little Red 2012/02/01 05:49:03
    Undead Little Red
    +15
    How the hell does gay marriage affect her?? It has nothing at all to do with this little girl.
  • sjalan Undead ... 2012/02/03 07:30:11
    +3
    Well brainwashed by her parents. Remember prejudice is taught.

You've Got To Be Carefully Taught
    South Pacific 1949 Rogers and Hamerstein

You've got to be taught
    To hate and fear,
    You've got to be taught
    From year to year,
    It's got to be drummed
    In your dear little ear
    You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
    Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
    And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
    You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
    Before you are six or seven or eight,
    To hate all the people your relatives hate,
    You've got to be carefully taught!
  • Undead ... sjalan 2012/02/09 19:37:04
    Undead Little Red
    +2
    her and her parents need a reeducation class or 12 >_<
  • Beautiful_Syn 2012/02/01 05:45:54
    Beautiful_Syn
    +11
    It clearly shows that homeschool isn't working for her.
  • seathan... Beautif... 2012/02/03 05:42:10
    seathanaich
    +4
    Homeschooling is doing exactly what her parents want it to do - successfully brainwashing her to follow all of their religious hatreds and their religious ignorance.
  • Beautif... seathan... 2012/02/03 06:40:23
    Beautiful_Syn
    +1
    Agreed and it shows how bigoted her parents are as well as the state should look into putting the child into regular public school.
  • Karl Marx 2012/02/01 05:44:25
  • RainbowCloset 2012/02/01 05:27:37
    RainbowCloset
    +12
    Shows how she was raised ...
  • Vive le Canada Libre!!! 2012/02/01 05:25:21
    Vive le Canada Libre!!!
    +15
    The next generation of Sarah Palins and Michele Bachmanns.

2014/10/26 01:14:09