Maryland Marriage Equality: 14-Year-Old Girl Pleads With Senate Officials To Vote Against Gay Marriage On Her Birthday

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/02/01 05:24:38

Whether or not same-sex marriage will be legalized in Maryland remains to be seen, but one local girl has made her stance on the issue clear.

The girl, who identifies herself as Sarah and says she is home-schooled, told Maryland's Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee that not only was it her 14th birthday, but that it "would be the best birthday present ever if you would vote no on gay marriage."

She goes on to note, "I really feel bad for kids who have two parents of the same gender...I don't want any more kids to get confused about what's right and OK."

She concludes, "People have the choice to be gay, but I don't want to be affected by their choice."

Among those unlikely to agree with her are Gov. Martin O'Malley, who urged lawmakers in what Reuters has deemed an "unusual personal testimony" at the same event to approve marriage equality. "The very reason for our state's founding was for religious freedom. At the heart of religious freedom is respect for the freedom of individual conscience," he said. "The way forward, the way to sustain and enhance our common life together, is equal respect for the freedom of all," he said in unusual personal testimony that underscored the importance he attaches to the measure.

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/31/maryland-...

• Mark 2012/02/01 06:36:35
    Mark
    +19
    Not surprising. Since she's home-schooled, she has no idea of how humans interact with each other. Nor does she have any clue that there are actually people with lives outside of her own family. It's pathetic that parents are able to abuse their children enough to brainwash them like this.

• heart gal 2012/05/04 08:11:49
    heart gal
    +1
    Studies demonstrate that there is, in fact, a difference between non-heterosexual and heterosexual parenting. Children raised by non-heterosexual parents are placed at risk. They are more apt to experience gender and sexual confusion; they are more apt to become promiscuous; they are at greater risk of losing a parent to AIDS, substance abuse or suicide. They suffer more depression and other emotional difficulties. It is in a childs best interest that they have a mother and a father!!!!
  • Nall 2012/04/04 06:42:18
    Nall
    +2
    In other words, "Oh please good sir, tis my birthday, could you please vote the way me and my parents would prefer to make our lives slightly happier? It is my birthday... Who cares about any other social ramifications." Frankly, this girl (and subsequently the Bible she most likely uses as a justification for her beliefs on good and evil) has no real say in what is actually "...right and OK." That's a fairly objective matter in the determination of whether or not it's ok for homosexuals to marry. Frankly, there are no objective/sensible/demonstrable reasons to be against homosexual marriage (save maybe (and at best it's a game of semantics) that marriage up to this point has been defined as between a man and a woman).

Oh, and to the people citing that it's always best to have a mother and father for parents (not demonstrably true either, in fact, most studies done to date show that homosexual parents are as good (if not better in the cases of some lesbian couples) as the traditional father and mother), the group that stands to benefit the absolute most from homosexuals getting married is orphans. You know, kids with no fathers or mothers. Surely you would have to agree that 2 mothers/fathers is better than no parents at all. Get over yourselves and your own religious beliefs and actually critically think about what is best for people overall.
  • AHopefulAgnostic 2012/04/03 19:34:20 (edited)
    AHopefulAgnostic
    +1
    Sarah? Meet Zach...
  • tewaz1 2012/02/16 21:14:15
    tewaz1
    +5
    This is really what the zealots and fanatics are resorting to? Crippling a kid's sense of ethics and ability to think critically in order to create a brainwashed social weapon? Disgusting.
  • Bocephus 2012/02/14 23:28:45
  • juicebox07 Bocephus 2012/03/04 17:33:05
    juicebox07
    +2
    You do realize that same sex couples adopt all the time, married or not. Gay marriage doesn't change that.
  • Bocephus juicebox07 2012/03/05 17:31:25
  • juicebox07 Bocephus 2012/03/05 17:43:28
    juicebox07
    +2
    But at least they would have two parents. A lot of kids have straight parents without a mother or father in their life. It's just how things are, unfortunately. Gay couples should not be penalized for what straight people do all the time.
  • masha Bocephus 2012/03/25 20:15:07 (edited)
    masha
    +3
    Actually, there are no contemporary studies to support the idea that children being raised by same-sex couples are any worse off than children raised by opposite-sex couples. Also, the American Academy of Pediatrics has stated that disenfranchising families headed by same-sex couples does harm to the children of said couples.

"There is ample evidence to show that children raised by same-gender parents fare as well as those raised by heterosexual parents. More than 25 years of research have documented that there is no relationship between parents' sexual orientation and any measure of a child's emotional, psychosocial, and behavioral adjustment. These data have demonstrated no risk to children as a result of growing up in a family with 1 or more gay parents. Conscientious and nurturing adults, whether they are men or women, heterosexual or homosexual, can be excellent parents. The rights, benefits, and protections of civil marriage can further strengthen these families."

http://pediatrics.aappublicat...
  • seathanaich 2012/02/03 05:36:35
    seathanaich
    +4
    What a lovely testament to the power of brainwashing.

Home-schooled by idiot Christian parents. Gee, what were the odds?
  • tewaz1 seathan... 2012/02/16 21:16:13
    tewaz1
    High, but not absolute. I was homeschooled and brainwashed by idiot Christian parents, and was able to break through the brainwashing. It was painful and terrifying to be sure, but it is possible.
  • seathan... tewaz1 2012/02/24 06:24:36
    seathanaich
    So were two of my cousins. They still hate their parents. Everyone loses.
  • deadfies&frogs 2012/02/02 14:54:58
    deadfies&frogs
    +2
    Very smart young girl! She's lucky she wasn't born into a liberal family who would have brain washed her into thinking gay marriage is okay.
  • seathan... deadfie... 2012/02/03 05:37:25
    seathanaich
    +4
    No, she was brainwashed by people who think it's somehow a problem. You appear to have missed that.
  • deadfie... seathan... 2012/02/03 08:46:06
    deadfies&frogs
    +2
    Teaching a child morals and Christian family values is not brain washing.
  • seathan... deadfie... 2012/02/04 06:24:59 (edited)
    seathanaich
    +4
    Hating people isn't "morals", it's repugnant, though I would agree that it is "Christian family values". Thinking that is "morals" is the sort of inversion of morality that religion causes in people who would otherwise be decent.
  • deadfie... seathan... 2012/02/04 16:02:41
    deadfies&frogs
    +2
    I don't believe she said anything about hate. Liberals are the ones who are full of hate and anger. They are full of hate and anger do to a lack of morals and Christian values. Liberals runaround rioting, protesting and occupying crap they know nothing about. they're only there so they can act like the idiots that they are. You don't see home school people masturbating in public and crapping on cop cars just because some people have more money than them.
  • seathan... deadfie... 2012/02/08 00:33:31
    seathanaich
    +2
    "I don't believe she said anything about hate."

That's what she expresses.

"Liberals"

Blah, blah, blah. You're another right-wing religious American who tosses the word "liberal" around with no clue what it means. Gee, what were the odds? Of course you can't recognise religious hatred, you live in Opposite World, where love is hatred.
  • deadfie... seathan... 2012/02/08 13:59:57
    deadfies&frogs
    +1
    I know more about liberals than any liberal does. It's a proven fact that conservatives are smarter than liberals.
  • seathan... deadfie... 2012/02/10 00:41:13 (edited)
    seathanaich
    You assume that I'm a "liberal" just because I'm clearly not religious. All stupid American Christians make this assumption, because they're not very intelligent.
  • Bocephus deadfie... 2012/02/14 23:32:41
  • Bocephus deadfie... 2012/02/14 23:29:46
  • tewaz1 deadfie... 2012/02/16 21:21:26
    tewaz1
    +1
    It absolutely is a textbook example of it. Doesn't it strike you as odd that parents who wish to "instil Christian values" in eir children find it necessary to isolate their children from society and any influence hat might cause eir child to question what they are being told is absolute truth?
    If someone wants to expose their child to religion, and is willing to give that child access to alternate perspectives and allow them to decide, that is one thing.
    This religious brainwashing is despicable.
    Don't think I am speaking without experience. I was raised I just such a brainwashing household. Crippling a child's ability to think critically should've considered child abuse.
  • heart gal tewaz1 2012/05/04 08:20:30 (edited)
    heart gal
    What you are saying is false!!! I have been bought up in a christian household and I still have the ability to think for myself. A christian household is not 'brainwashing' and if you say that it is I would put bets on the fact that your children (family members etc.) would be subject to an opinion from you that is completely and utterly biased..... in your terms 'brain washing' I decide what I believe is right and wrong... I don't agree with everything my household says/believes.... I am capable of making my own disissions yet you are implying that christian parents brain wash their children..... Do you still really believe christians have been brainwashed???
  • Bocephus deadfie... 2012/02/14 23:29:21
  • Algor. Mortis. - ҎԊǢɬ Physician
    +7
    For my birthday I want a percentage of the population to be miserable. What a little brainwashed tyrant, I don't think those parents are qualified to be teachers
  • seathan... Algor. ... 2012/02/03 05:37:56
    seathanaich
    +5
    This is why ignorant religionists home-school their children - to pass along their religious hatreds and ignorance.
  • Michael Walter 2012/02/02 01:49:09
    Michael Walter
    +1
    According to those who are pushing gay marriage, Jerry Sandusky would have the right to marry that kid he was raping in the shower.
    [...]
  • Algor. ... Michael... 2012/02/02 04:53:10
    Algor. Mortis. - ҎԊǢɬ Physician
    +2
    You have to be 18 to get married, why would gay marriage be an exception?
  • Nika Michael... 2012/02/04 18:02:15
    Nika
    That doesn't make any sense.
  • Undead ... Michael... 2012/02/09 19:43:48
    Undead Little Red
    +2
    Most kids who get molested and people who get raped, molested, sodomized, ect are done so by STRAIGHT males and females. Your statement is invalid
  • masha Michael... 2012/03/28 20:48:31
    masha
    Michael, I have flagged your comment for being hateful. There is a wealth of horrible crimes that human beings commit against each other, and loving others isn't one of them. It always amazes me the obscene hatred people display toward other human beings just for being different.
  • Mike Fr... Michael... 2012/04/03 17:48:13
    Mike Francis
    +1
    The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT. The issue is CONSENT.
  • Mandy Michael... 2012/04/03 20:48:29
    Mandy
    +1
    Except that you have to be an adult to get married and, oh yeah, it has to be CONSENSUAL dipwad! To equate the loving, consensual relationship of two adults to the abuse of children is really freakin' twisted.
    +3
    Home-schooled....

That says it all for me....
  • Glitchie 2012/02/01 19:33:02
    Glitchie
    +4
    This sounds like its something she was talked into reading and has no idea what its really all about. How in the HELL does it affect her? Particularly if she's been home schooled??
  • seathan... Glitchie 2012/02/03 05:40:01
    seathanaich
    +2
    "Particularly if she's been home schooled??"

Most home-schooling is done by religious fundamentalists so they can brainwash their children, as this child has been brainwashed, so the fact that she is home-schooled is a major reason behind why this "affects her" (or, more importantly, is something her parents have brainwashed her into thinking affects her).
  • Glitchie seathan... 2012/02/03 08:01:05
    Glitchie
    Was a rhetorical question, but yeah, I know what you mean. :)
  • Thomas Rea: Gay Christian A... 2012/02/01 17:29:51
    Thomas Rea: Gay Christian Advocate
    +3
    One thing I ask Sarah: "Have you meet those kids who have same-sex parents?" I wounder if she choice to be straight.
  • Micha Vengeance Way 2012/02/01 17:08:58
    Micha Vengeance Way
    +6
    This makes me sick.

It doesnt effect her! AT ALL! I don't understand why people are so against gay marriage, it's LOVE, people!

2014/11/21 20:44:36