Marijuana Vs. Alcohol? Really?

travis103192 2012/05/01 05:52:55
Once again, someone around here as a local has died because of alcohol. Not only was it one person, but two 18 year old girls rolled a car into a river and died because they were intoxicated. The same exact thing happened a few months ago with a 16 yr old, two 18 year olds, and a 19 year old with everyone dead except the 19 yr old being crippled. And about another month after that one an intoxicated man had a head on collision with a girl and her 15 yr old sister killing her and leaving the driver in critical condition. Yeah I do feel sad for these people, but for the intoxicated ones-NO! We grew up learning in school all about this stuff, IT WAS NEVER A JOKE, It was all taught for a reason. Anyway we all know what alcohol solves- NOTHING. All it does is cause problems. Im just saying, this is legal for its taxation reasons, yet Cannabis remains illegal though it is safe and has benefits but could be so much more under laws similar to alcohol. Please give me some input. Thank you.

• Gir 2012/05/02 05:01:57
    Have both Legal.
    Gir
    We know outright prohibition won't work. So I say legalize cannabis, take that money away from the underworld. We now have the ability to test for THC with results giving approximate times of use and levels of THC in the system so there could be acceptable levels or time frames before using a car just like alcohol. The only down side would be all the old people getting pulled over for suspected DWI due to them driving so slow.
  • travis1... Gir 2012/05/02 12:06:47
    travis103192
    Ha yeah, silly old people. I almost wonder if the cannabanoids would be the thing to pay attention to specifically for driving since they are more of the depressant rather than thc being the stimulant base in cannabis, but yes I 100 percent agree with you.
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/05/01 19:24:45
    Have both Legal.
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    Legalize both and enforce true zero policies for operating a vehicle under the influence of either.
  • Coasterdude02149 2012/05/01 15:50:11
    Have both Legal.
    Coasterdude02149
    Not a fan of alcohol but prohibition doesn't work or I'd be in favor of banning it-or at least making it a prescription drug which is essentially what it is. Free the weed!
  • travis1... Coaster... 2012/05/01 17:31:38
    travis103192
    +1
    Yes, and prohibition has never really solved anything to begin with in the first place.
  • ehrhornp 2012/05/01 06:01:57
    Have both Legal.
    ehrhornp
    People are generally better able to run their lives than big government. Perhaps if government didn't make alcohol forbidden fruit for the young, the young wouldn't naturally be attracted to it. While marijuana could have its problems legalizing it would reduce problems associated with it. We have the most citizens behind bars and marijuana is a major reason for this. What a waste of resources.
  • travis1... ehrhornp 2012/05/01 06:17:19
    travis103192
    I dont mind when people casually and responsibly drink alcohol, but I never see anyone do that. For instance, I loved my older cousin, but when I was about 8, he was intoxicated and died in a snowmobile accident, and my great aunt killed someone while driving intoxicated, and that is only stuff from my family. I see all of this stuff so much it is normal. There needs to be more laws on it for it to remain legal, because its status right now isnt getting us anywhere, such as death penalty in certain conditions and other near murder strict consequences for irresponsible use and abuse to get the point across. Cannabis on the other hand with the same laws and such, though not even close in any possible way dangerous like alcohol.
  • ehrhornp travis1... 2012/05/01 06:34:09
    ehrhornp
    While I agree that pot is a safer drug, driving while intoxicated can result in you being just as dead. I remember a study once that showed a little bit of pot actually increases a person's driving ability but this quickly diminishes as one inhales more so that soon there is little difference between booze and pot.

Point is to use drugs responsibly and to get medical treatment if one gets too addicted to them. Should always be treated as a medical problem rather than as a legal problem. Only legal cases should involve death, injury or property damage.
  • travis1... ehrhornp 2012/05/01 06:44:24
    travis103192
    I agree, and once again, the laws being the way they are now arent changing the way people use alcohol, yet in countries that use the death penalty and more strict laws have a much lower death rate and irresponsible use of alcohol. And of course for addiction, like anything else, you can get addicted to anything. Cannabis has a much lower amount of people getting addicted to it, yet that doesnt mean it cant happen. It is so many times safer and could have so much more use than alcohol having a recorded death rate of zero.
  • ehrhornp travis1... 2012/05/01 06:57:32
    ehrhornp
    I basically agree with Cannabis not being as addicting as many other drugs. I would like pot legal for the main reason the illegal pot is bread to produce the strongest weed possible. I would like milder strains available.

As for alcohol, I don't think it is the extent of potential punishment that accounts for the lower irresponsible use but the odds of getting caught. You can have the death penalty but if no one is ever arrested for the violation, it will soon lose its effectiveness. As more and more people get busted for drinking and driving it soon become prudent to have a designated driver or to not drink that much.

2014/10/01 00:26:27