Man sues hospital for genital mutilation. Should he get paid?

Foxhound BN0 2012/06/30 17:36:46
He should get paid.
He should not get paid.
Undecided / Other
A man in South Dakota is suing the hospital where he was circumcised as a newborn, saying he only recently became aware that he'd undergone the procedure and that it robbed him of his sexual prowess.
28-year-old Dean Cochrun is asking for $1,000 dollars in punitive damages from Sanford Hospital in Sioux Falls. He claims an unknown doctor at the hospital, then named the Sioux Valley Hospital, led his mother to believe the procedure was medically necessary.
He argues the circumcision was not necessary, unethical and without medical benefit.

Should he get paid?

See full story at http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/62301/

• rand 2012/06/30 23:37:54
    He should not get paid.
    rand
    +4
    Oh, great. This'd be a whopper of a class action law suit! I oppose almost all actions that make lawyers more wealthy and powerful. Who do you think ultimately pays for all of these civil suits? Why does the U.S. have 100 times more lawyers per capita than Japan?
  • CurrentlyOnSpaceship 2012/06/30 23:15:49
    Undecided / Other
    CurrentlyOnSpaceship
    +2
    Sexual prowess my ass. I obviously don't know the full details, but it sounds to me like he's just trying to get a few bucks. But in my opinion he really isn't asking for much so if it's really that big of a deal to him, maybe he should get paid.. I don't know.
  • Rod Current... 2012/07/01 00:11:13
    Rod
    +3
    He is a prisoner in SD and has probably filed his own papers. In prison he doesn't need much money. These kinds of suits are filed all the time by prisoners either on their own or using a prison lawyer (knowledgeable inmate)
  • Current... Rod 2012/07/01 00:14:10
    CurrentlyOnSpaceship
    +2
    Ah well that's ridiculous.
  • it'skrissie!d:) 2012/06/30 22:52:48
    He should not get paid.
    it'skrissie!d:)
    +6
    You're saying he "recently" became aware of this? How can you not know? It should be pretty obvious. Besides, he shouldn't be stomping his foot and crying like he just got his innocents ripped away and take it up with his mom. Doctors are not the devil. It was his mother's choice and she decided yes.

It robbed him of his sexual prowess?

Don't make me laugh.
  • Rod it'skri... 2012/07/01 00:12:01
    Rod
    +5
    His cellmate is probably not happy with him.
  • it'skri... Rod 2012/07/01 02:08:59
    it'skrissie!d:)
    +3
    *snorts*
  • Robbb 2012/06/30 22:50:37
    He should get paid.
    Robbb
    +2
    A lousy thousand dollars? That is in itself a statement when you consider where it happened. He mustn’t think much of his sexual prowess. I would not be satisfied with a million the sooner these snake oil sales men that promote male genital mutilation are made bankrupt and put behind bars the better.
  • Rod Robbb 2012/07/01 00:13:31
    Rod
    +3
    A prisoner should not be allowed to file these frivolous lawsuits. They do it all of the time. Maybe he can't please his cellmate.
  • Robbb Rod 2012/07/01 00:25:47
    Robbb
    +1
    What does that have to do with having malpractice committed on him so a doctor could afford a new tyre on his golf buggy? I think the guy is a bit of an idiot myself, he should be going for at least a million. It is about time these snake oil sales men were put in their place. Along side him in jail.
  • Rod Robbb 2012/07/01 00:47:33
    Rod
    +3
    Why are you blaming the doctor? It would be impossible in this case to sue for malpractice anyway. He won't even get a thousand. He knew that if he went for a million he wouldn't have any chance. He is probably hoping that they will settle with him, that's why he asked for so little.
  • Robbb Rod 2012/07/01 01:05:12
    Robbb
    +1
    The same reason as I blame the underlings in you average crimes against humanity situation I was just being told what to do. B/S a doctor should know what he is about, this is not rocket science. A doctor’s job is to deal with the sick not to disfigure children by removing healthy properly ordered tissue. You are probably right about his reason for the amount he asked although he probably thinks that is a lot of cash you indigenous population like ours is used to poverty.
  • Sofahead 2012/06/30 21:48:52
    He should not get paid.
    Sofahead
    +5
    Get over it. It was customary to perform them then and if your mother had any questions or doubts about having it done she should gotten a second opinion.
    Also it's now way beyond the statue of limitations.
  • Robbb Sofahead 2012/06/30 22:55:24
    Robbb
    +1
    Does that mean if a child molester waits long enough everything is OK. Because lets face it mutilating a Childs penis is a pretty extreme form of molestation. I was molested as a child and Admit never thought much of it, however if some filthy pervert had cut of my foreskin I recon I would be out looking for the perpetrator with a knife and I would want more then just his foreskin.
  • Sofahead Robbb 2012/06/30 23:11:14
    Sofahead
    +3
    That's it second guess a procedure with was very common 28 years ago by today's differing opinion, that his mother agreed to. If this was 28 years ago probably no one in this country would be having this dicussion of this being mutilation. Your view that a doctor who performed was a "filthy pervert" would never cross your mind.

You must be unique, more tramatized by a procedure a that most children have at such an early age they don't remember having it, but be able shrug off being sexually molested at an older age. Amazing!

Presently child molestation has a statue of limitations too.
  • Robbb Sofahead 2012/07/01 00:39:18
    Robbb
    +1
    Are you kidding I stem back to a civilized country where we don’t do that sort of thing to children. Only Jews Muslims and primitive tribes’ man do that to their children and a few that have been deluded by a snake oil culture chasing the fast buck. The modern Doctor is perfectly capable of understanding what he is doing and there is plenty of literature available for him to make a judgement on. As for the other little thing perhaps I am unique I don’t know, But I am glad I don’t have trouble with it at all.
  • Rod Robbb 2012/07/01 00:17:32
    Rod
    +2
    Hundreds of millions of men have had the procedure performed including me. I doubt that anyone of those performing the procedure was a pervert. I am happy that is was done and I wouldn't change a thing.
  • Robbb Rod 2012/07/01 00:39:16
    Robbb
    +1
    You have nothing with which to judge. And in the company of the Jews and the Muslims as well as a few disparate primitive tribes here and there. Primitive and savage old traditions At least they have an excuse they are afraid of their god but you are afraid of common sense.
  • Rod Robbb 2012/07/01 01:04:32 (edited)
    Rod
    +3
    I have plenty with which to judge and besides when it comes to judging your doing plenty of that yourself. I had more common sense the day that I was born than you will ever have in your lifetime. What is your problem anyway. Did your boyfriend leave you too?
  • Robbb Rod 2012/07/01 01:10:10 (edited)
    Robbb
    +1
    My wife made him leave. However I made my point. I don’t have one but I find this subject just plain amazing. I enjoy getting into the fray so to speak. Please excuse me for sounding judgemental at times. I don’t mean to do it in an offensive manner although at time it may come across that way..
  • Rod Robbb 2012/07/02 00:53:11
    Rod
    +1
    No problem. Thanks for your reply.
  • Joey Rod 2012/07/01 07:12:03
    Joey
    +1
    Some women in places like Africa say they are happy about having it done as well.
  • Rod Joey 2012/07/02 00:56:06
    Rod
    I doubt that. You just made that up. It is done to women purely to stifle their sex drive. The men feel that if they cut their females that they probably won't cheat on them.
  • Joey Rod 2012/07/02 07:54:45
    Joey
    +1
    And you are getting this from where ? Did you know that circumcision was brought back to America to stop boys from (enjoying)themselves.

1887: 10% of the U.S. male population circumcised
    "There can be no doubt of [masturbation's] injurious effect, and of the proneness to practice it on the part of children with defective brains. Circumcision should always be practiced. It may be necessary to make the genitals so sore by blistering fluids that pain results from attempts to rub the parts."
    Angel Money, Treatment of Disease in Children. Philadelphia: P. Blakiston. 1887, p. 421.

Also the point I made first .

The panel includes for the first time, the critical "third wave" or multicultural feminist perspectives of circumcised African women scholars Wairimu Njambi, a Kenyan, and Fuambai Ahmadu, a Sierra Leonean. Both women hail from cultures where female and male initiation rituals are the norm and have written about their largely positive and contextualized experiences, creating an emergent discursive space for a hitherto "muted group" in global debates about FGC [female genital cutting].

http://www.motherjones.com/mo...
  • Rod Joey 2012/07/02 16:55:49
  • Robbb Rod 2012/07/02 09:50:40
    Robbb
    +2
    Mothers who have had it done to them insist on their daughters having it done. Not because of the pleasure they get from it but because of the insistence of their culture. In the place where tis sort of thing is common a woman is shunned by her community and is destined for lonely poverty or prostitution if she is not mutilated. So the fact behind it is that it is done with the wellbeing of the child in mind. None of these things are as simple as it seems. I wonder how many boys have had their penis mutilated for no other reason then to look like dad or dads fear that he might be eased in the communal shower. It is done to the girls to guarantee that they are virgins when they are married. The degree of mutilation also differs, as it does with males you aught to see what the penis of an Australian aboriginal looks like when they are through with it. They don’t just stop after taking out the mucous membrane and erogenous tissue they go all the way to the belly. I suppose that would be even more hygienic. I just don’t understand why they call it child abuse over here after all it is a religious rite of the parents.
  • Joey Robbb 2012/07/02 13:46:58
    Joey
    Kind of you do not hear an outcry by the WHO about that.
  • Robbb Joey 2012/07/03 10:52:00
    Robbb
    The world Health organisation is doing nothing to help the worlds aids situation. With the Catholic Church buggering up with every move it tries to make. The best way to stop STD’s is condoms. they did a massive circumcision drive that led to increase in HIV infections in Africa. don’t look to the WHO for reason in this are because you wont find any so long as the Vatican is a voting entity in it.
  • Joey Robbb 2012/07/04 07:38:18
    Joey
    +1
    I did not know that about them.
  • Arizona1950 2012/06/30 21:22:48 (edited)
    He should not get paid.
    Arizona1950
    +5
    another frivolous lawsuit.
  • Lord Emperor of Dune 2012/06/30 21:22:20
    He should not get paid.
    Lord Emperor of Dune
    +3
    Had this fine gent gone in to have an ingrown hair removed and they gelded him, THEN he should get paid. I suspect he's just looking for a free keg or two. He is in South Dakota, after all... lol!
    will work for beer
  • David William 2012/06/30 21:16:44
    He should get paid.
    David William
    +2
    I'd like to see him win, only because it would give the hospital pause before allowing this stone age ritual to continue. Maybe even get some lows on the books to outlaw it altogether.
  • Metaldane 2012/06/30 20:50:37
    Undecided / Other
    Metaldane
    +1
    Honestly I realize that it probably doesn't actually affect him much but I still think he has a right to get paid no one should have the right to mutilate your genitals without permission as creepy as that sounds lol.
  • Christopher Kirchen 2012/06/30 20:49:25
    He should not get paid.
    Christopher Kirchen
    +3
    Even if the statute shouldn't have run eons ago, I(as well as many judges, I imagine) am sick of frivolous suits.
  • Frank 2012/06/30 20:28:03
    He should not get paid.
    Frank
    +4
    Maybe he should sue his mom. But then she probably has given him a lot more than $1,000 over his 28 years.
  • Maddog 2012/06/30 20:24:20
    Undecided / Other
    Maddog
    +3
    Gimme a break! ROFLMAO!
  • ☆ QueenAline 2012/06/30 20:19:11
    He should not get paid.
    ☆ QueenAline
    +3
    what good is money going to do him? This sounds like a pure lawsuit to gain money....i think the guy is probably a liberal
  • JohnT 2012/06/30 20:06:20
    He should not get paid.
    JohnT
    +3
    His folks had it done, he was under their legal control, there has to be a statue of limitations on this and, and his sexual prowess should be examined as a separate issue.
  • Robbb JohnT 2012/06/30 23:00:31
    Robbb
    +1
    But his folks were lied to regarding the need to do it they may have bee culpable as well but it is the hospitals responsibility to look after the safety of its patients, and the last I remember the amputation of healthy tissue that is not causing any problems with health is mall practice.
  • JohnT Robbb 2012/07/01 00:57:04
    JohnT
    +3
    Sorry frivolous lawsuit you don't wait 28 years to file.

2014/10/23 00:50:02