Man Pepper-Sprays Homophobic Teen: Fair or Foul?

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/09/13 19:49:53

Halifax resident Christopher Whittle, 39, told the CBC, he used pepper spray on a 14-year-old girl after she harassed his boyfriend for weeks about being gay.

• Chris 2012/09/18 03:15:00
    Fair
    Chris
    +4
    He was right to take a stand; the stupid girl was lucky she didn't get worse than pepper spray. We should make it known these little scumbags don't get away with this kind of abuse
  • Scrappyang 2012/09/16 17:14:42
    Foul
    Scrappyang
    +1
    He handles things all wrong. There are means to handle a bully, especially one who is under aged. There somany ways to prove one's guilt or innocence. He should have gathered all of that and take to the police or filed charges against her parents. Then the question of he said/she said would be answered and those responsable would pay and whoever is the victim would have some sort of justice.
  • Sayer Stewart 2012/09/16 15:49:27
    Foul
    Sayer Stewart
    +1
    It's assault.
  • Alexander T Steward 2012/09/15 18:31:57
  • La 2012/09/15 05:18:40
    Fair
    La
    +1
    Idiot girl deserved a bit of pepper spray :)
    Foul
    +1
    i put that on par with
    scared of kittens
  • MyDaydream90 2012/09/14 05:55:47
    Foul
    MyDaydream90
    +3
    Violence is not an appropriate response to verbal harassment. She wasn't posing a physical threat to this man or his partner. You can't hurt someone physically for hurting your feelings, especially if you're a grown man and that someone is a 14 year old child. They should have contacted the proper authorities or management to have the child banned from the property for her constant harassment. There was no need to resort to violence. I don't support gay bashing, but I don't see this as being justified at all and I don't see how anyone else would think it is either.
  • james sylvester 2012/09/14 02:50:23
    Foul
    james sylvester
    +4
    I have to make this statement as I'm disgusted by many of these comments on this site. Mr Whittle claims that this 14 year old girl made comments to his partner. Everyone appears to think that these comments are actually fact. Can I clarify that what Mr Whittle claims could potentially be false. In this scenario Mr Whittle has physically attacked an innocent child and then gone on to be interviewed on TV and made inappropriate slurs against this same child. I know that many of you may find this hard to believe but fact can be stranger than fiction
  • Kat ♪ ~... james s... 2012/09/14 09:07:43
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    Very true, especially for mentally confused people to start with.
  • Waiting in the Wings 2012/09/14 02:15:26 (edited)
    Fair
    Waiting in the Wings
    +2
    Freedom of Speech doesn't mean that you're not held accountable for your words.
  • Sayer S... Waiting... 2012/09/16 15:50:15
    Sayer Stewart
    You don't have the right to assault someone either.
  • Jesse 2012/09/14 01:58:10 (edited)
    Fair
    Jesse
    +4
    She was harrasing his boyfriend, and being a complete bully. I think she deserved it. though, I think he could have handled it different.
  • james s... Jesse 2012/09/14 02:37:15
    james sylvester
    +1
    Mr Whittle was sadly mistaken and CBC should have got the police to contact this girls parents so they could respond to Mr Whittle's allegations
  • Jesse james s... 2012/09/14 10:50:02
    Jesse
    I was just saying what I think of the story given.
  • Cameleon james s... 2012/09/15 05:21:20
    Cameleon
    The girls parents most like had no knowledge of the girls behavior. How could they respond.
  • art1ej 2012/09/13 23:57:23 (edited)
    Fair
    art1ej
    +2
    Im mixed since she was harassing his boyfriend for weeks & being a bitch i think she deserved it but he couldn't have handled it better & maybe told her to f off or something.....

the father of the 14 year old said shes been hanging with the wrong crowd so that implies that she did it because of her friends...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
  • james s... art1ej 2012/09/14 03:18:55
    james sylvester
    +1
    Did she harass Mr Whittle's boyfriend? You don't know do you? When you make a judgement about something you know very little about you can look foolish when the truth comes out. Remember this when you hear what really happened
  • art1ej james s... 2012/09/14 17:15:25 (edited)
    art1ej
    LOL its in the article i read it i think you should....what is your problem like seriously you're commenting on everyone to say this guy is lying & he has NO reason to why did he spray her for than come on since you know everything about this case.....
    so you joined SH just so you could tell everyone here were wrong by going by whats been reported,did you know if facts change or if they dont which is most likely views on this can change.....
  • Leprach... art1ej 2012/09/14 19:49:22
    Leprachaun999
    I think it is her boyfriend or something, he claims to know her
  • james s... Leprach... 2012/09/15 01:34:42 (edited)
    james sylvester
    Well deducted but you're wrong
  • art1ej james s... 2012/09/16 05:25:09
    art1ej
    You are bias because you know this girl,you will say anything to make that gay couple look bad...so unless you were there you can't say to everyone this girl is innocent & somehow just got attacked......
    So if two people have the same story & this 14 year old doesn't who do you think people will believe???..
    how would she get pepper sprayed for no reason?? she had to have done something....
  • james s... art1ej 2012/09/17 03:19:57
    james sylvester
    The couple don't need me to make them look bad; their actions have done that. Listen hard what I'm about to tell you will hopefully get through. The unfortunate guy who was at the receiving end of the homophobic slurs has had this occuring to him for many,many months from numerous people; boys and girls included. I don't condone any comments made to anyone whether due to their race, sexual orientation or physical or mental disability. I honestly feel for the guy. But, and this is an almighty big but, Mr Whittle inadvertedly assumed wrongly that the girl he attacked was one of a group of girls who had previously said something to his boyfriend (.believe me or believe me not) and he did attack an innocent bystander. So you are assuming that Mr Whittle was acting correctly but I am telling you for him to have justifiably attacked someone then at the very least it should be the person who had been abusing his boyfriend. I promise all of you this IS my final comment on this matter. Just try and realise the injustice however of all you who have claimed this child deserved what she got when she actually never did anything
  • art1ej james s... 2012/09/17 13:25:35
    art1ej
    So now your going to lie & say he got it from a number of people when both guys say this girl was the one doing it & her own father implied she did it because shes in the wrong crowd....shes no angel so please so it you're embarrassing yourself.....she was no bystander either so stop lying....
    i didnt say he acted right but this girl & her friend had it coming i wish he pepper sprayed all of them & recorded the if he didnt & put it on utube so we all can see this girl for who she really is.....
    omfg im so glad its your last comment because you've commented to everyone trying to get them on your side just because you know this girl & taking her side on her word......
  • art1ej Leprach... 2012/09/16 05:08:45
    art1ej
    I know hes weird as....
  • Cameleon art1ej 2012/09/15 05:22:50
    Cameleon
    +2
    I rarely believe that she is running with the wrong crown excuse. It is simply a cop out and a lame excuse so as not to take full responsiblity for the kids actions.
  • art1ej Cameleon 2012/09/16 05:09:43
    art1ej
    +1
    Of course hes gonna say shes in a wrong crowd if shes a homophobe & so is he because it would make him look just as bad as his daughter....
  • TuringsChild 2012/09/13 23:02:05
    Foul
    TuringsChild
    +2
    Physical assault as a response to verbal abuse? I thought libs didn't LIKE physical punishment. Or is this just more liberal hypocrisy? Besides, 'homophobia' is a fake PC hate-term with no real meaning. 'Homo' = 'man'. Homosapiens = thinking man. Homo Australopithecus = Southern Ape. Homophobia = fear of Man. You want to see someone who is homophobic? homo homosapiens thinking homo australopithecus southern ape homophobia fear homophobic
  • reaper Turings... 2012/09/14 01:05:45
    reaper
    Homo may refer to:
    the Greek prefix ὅμο-, meaning "the same", opposite of "hetero-" (Greek ἕτερο- )
    the Latin for man, human being
  • Foul
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +3
    Sounds more like acting out of anger rather than defending against a threat.
    Beware of the teeter-totter Dualism of Victim/Victimizer becoming a bucking bronco.
  • Elz 2012/09/13 22:23:32
    Foul
    Elz
    +4
    i dont like homophobic people but the pepperspray thing was unnecessary.
  • james s... Elz 2012/09/14 03:23:10
    james sylvester
    +1
    The teen girl who allegedly made the comments to Mr Whittle's partner doesn't like homophobic people either and she's not too keen on pepperspray. Strange how you share the same views
  • art1ej james s... 2012/09/14 17:24:41
  • peaches 2012/09/13 21:56:55
    Fair
    peaches
    +4
    While I agree with him that he could and should have handled it differently. I completely get his point. And she should not have been let off the hook either, at least not without a serious lecture on bullying. It doesn't matter if you're only 14, bullying should never be tolerated. I sure hope she learned a lesson.
  • Glfer65 peaches 2012/09/13 23:38:11
    Glfer65
    +2
    Let alone a 14 year old did this!!!!!! I could see an older person doing this to him but some on!!!! A 14 year old, and where do you think she got the homophobe fear from? Any who needs a lecture are her parents!
  • peaches Glfer65 2012/09/13 23:43:43
    peaches
    +1
    Right? She was asking for it.
  • Glfer65 peaches 2012/09/13 23:47:42
    Glfer65
    She may have been but WTF with her parents and where are they in all this???
  • peaches Glfer65 2012/09/14 02:00:08
    peaches
    No idea! They don't seem to be the best parents, though!
  • james s... peaches 2012/09/14 03:56:20
    james sylvester
    +1
    Asking for an assault? Because she did what? You know? Because it was on TV or a news story on the internet. So it must be true because you read it. Do you know what a Numpty is?
  • peaches james s... 2012/09/15 16:13:40
    peaches
    You don't harass someone for weeks and expect no retaliation. Pepper spray is hardly assault anyway, it's a defense mechanism. The man didn't beat her up or pull a weapon on her. Do you believe pick and choose what you want to believe? Or do you believe credible sources?
  • james s... Glfer65 2012/09/14 02:11:09
    james sylvester
    +3
    You small minded idiot. You are now slurring parents of a girl who has been physically attacked and also verbally assaulted by the same man. You are assuming Mr Whittles statement is true. Have you ever considered he could actually be completely wrong about the identity of the girl he attacked?

2014/10/23 21:20:56