Man Arrested Spanking His Son: Are you tired of the government telling you what to do with your children?

Dangerous Dave 2008/10/28 20:15:55
Yes. Love your kids? Prove it by beating them
No. There is no excuse for child abuse.
A man is facing court for "child abuse" for paddling his own son. The jury is deciding whether belting your own kid an act of child abuse. A Poynette pastor who paddled his son hard enough to cause bruises as a form of discipline is headed for trial. Barry W. Barnett Jr., 43, stood quiet Thursday on a charge of felony physical abuse of a child after he appeared at a preliminary hearing. Barnett pleaded "not guilty" as another court date has been assigned for this father. According to the reports, Barnett used a wooden paddle, two feet long, and strike the boy's butt twice. The reason of the child beating has not been stated publicly.

• SparkleyPie 2008/10/29 03:34:29
    SparkleyPie
    +7
    I fully support spankings. However, if you're spanking hard enough to leave bruises, it's not discipline... you did it in anger. Which, IMO, is where the line between discipline and child abuse lies.

• Ang 2014/07/06 23:09:18
    No. There is no excuse for child abuse.
    Ang
    hitting your child with anything but your hand or more than twice on their butts or leaving bruises is child abuse. If your child is easy to get bruised, then don't hit cause that means you can hurt them more than you realize, many parents & people don't get that!
  • Denny 2010/02/27 21:00:03
    Denny
    Paddling on the bottom is fine. Nobody wants to see a kid bruised but even the Supreme Court has said (in Ingraham v. Wright) that it's an inherent possibility when you paddle a kid. Two whacks with a paddle is FAR, FAR from abuse.
  • motherof4 2010/01/18 04:13:01
    motherof4
    +3
    ok well here's my opinion as a mother who is dealing with this same thing. My 7 year old son touched his 4 year old sister below and we got on to him, took his tv and games away for 3 weeks and told him why it was wrong and to never do that again or he would get a spanking. Guess what, 2 months later he done the same thing. This time my husband grabbed up the belt and gave him 2 licks. Later that night he had bruises. So I personally don't think it's abuse just because a child got a spanking and has a bruise. Just like my son- - he has sensitive skin and bruises easily. We are a Christian family and do not believe in child abuse under no circumstances should a child be brutally beaten as a form of punishment. I firmily believe in a good ole butt whipping though. If it takes 2 licks and bruises because you bruise easily- maybe next time you'll think before you do the crime. Spanking my child was not out of anger but out of love. So all bruises do not mean abuse.
  • jer 2009/06/10 01:54:08
    No. There is no excuse for child abuse.
    jer
    My proud Irish upbringing had many memorable beatings-I'm ok for it but, for some kids that's all they get or know-especially since parents today in a lot of cases arent who they used to be either.
  • rebel5871 2009/05/23 00:44:11
    rebel5871
    spanking is one thing. but beating your child and leave bruises is just wrong. he should be tried.
  • jimshell 2009/05/12 22:20:55
    No. There is no excuse for child abuse.
    jimshell
    +1
    I don't mind a little spanking on the bum, but using a weapon and leaving bruises is going over the line. He should be fined.
  • ThinkAboutIt! 2009/03/19 03:42:06
    No. There is no excuse for child abuse.
    ThinkAboutIt!
    +1
    But spanking does not necessarilly mean there is abuse.
  • kelly demsey 2009/01/23 03:58:18
    kelly demsey
    my son just told me last saturday his dad was driving him to a baskerball game and misunderstood something he said. My son said his dad who plays hockey and is a boxer close fist punched him in his left arm several times. my son said he was screaming to "please stop hurting me over" and over and cried .My son is 14, and weighs 85 lbs. How much is abuse?? My son is scared to tell anyone else.
  • Huey 2008/12/25 01:07:44
    Huey
    +2
    Some kids need their asses beat, and their parents would be false in their obligation to them if they did not whoop their ass when needed.
  • Myst 2008/12/22 19:40:15
    Myst
    A sharp wack on the butt is not a beating, nor in my opinion is it abuse. A slap on the face may be appropriate in some instances. Get the childs attention. To slap or wack more than once I feel the parent maybe taking out frustration or pent up aggression. Send the child to a room without toys, tv, or form of entertainment, take their favorite toy or game when they do wrong. But, do something to teach the child right from wrong.
  • Different ♥ 2008/12/21 07:08:49
    Different  ♥
    +1
    I don't believe in abuse but I do believe in spanking.
  • bea~~woo's nana~~ 2008/12/21 01:00:29
    bea~~woo's nana~~
    +3
    There is a difference between spanking and abusing. My daughter got spankings when they were needed and she grew up to be a wonderful adult and a great mother.
  • samuel bea~~wo... 2013/05/15 18:21:28
    samuel
    +2
    He should be sent down for life for hitting a child
  • ©TransAmTam~Metal Queen \m/ 2008/12/18 03:15:39
  • ACB4Values~Extreme Patriot 2008/12/17 04:45:04
    ACB4Values~Extreme Patriot
    +2
    This is a very biased poll. Spanking is not abuse, it is a form of discipline. This is teaching that bad choices has consequences, and if they want to avoid the consequences they should make right choices. If it is done out of love to keep them from the bad consequences that can come outside of the discipline. It should be explained to them what they did wrong, and why they are getting a spanking. Then spanking them a few times on the bottom to make them think about the choice they made. Then to immediately reconcile and tell them that you love them and want what is best for them. That is loving discipline, not abuse at all.
  • zlgriff~PWCM~JLA 2008/12/17 02:18:18 (edited)
    zlgriff~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    the way you see kids act in public shows you people are too wary of spanking their kids because of what people might say or do...and the kids no doubt know this and act up more in public knowing they can get by with it. I believe in spanking, spare the rod, spoil the child...but to leave bruises is definitely going too far. I always spanked my kids on the bottom but not hard, you barely touch them and they cry like you beat the crap out of them. Literally, my son was acting up and I said to my husband, watch this, i just lightly put my fingertip on my son and he cried like i beat the tar out of him. Usually they have to stand in the corner but if they are really bad, i give them a reasonable spanking and then when they have calmed down i try to talk to them of why they got punished and I hug them and kiss them. I tell them every day i love them. The government should mind their own affairs and keep out of ours. They are supposed to serve us not the other way around.
  • . . . . 2008/12/16 06:57:59
  • CMK 2008/12/16 06:56:57
    CMK
    I spank. My ex took it to a whole new level. My ex spanked so hard I was shocked he never left a bruise. If that guy left a bruise on a butt - he had to have been hitting pretty damn hard.

Not sure on this one - not enough information.
  • shante 2008/12/09 19:28:48
    shante
    +2
    I was spanked as a kid and i do not consider it abuse because its how mom raise me. i not sitting around having baby and running wild because i was raise right. i dont think the government should have any right to control what parents do with their children. to me spanking is not abuse but beating is. if you beat your child then you are entitled on having your child or children taking from you or if you just spanking them to show them who is boss then you are raising your child.
  • zlgriff... shante 2008/12/17 02:19:38
    zlgriff~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I agree :)
  • Alicia 2008/11/27 02:45:06
    Alicia
    +1
    Considering some of the awful little twerps I see running around causing chaos in stores and restaurants who pay no attention to their parents I would say they need a good quick swot on the backside. Any spanking that causes bruises has crossed the line between discipline and abuse.
  • tictac08 2008/11/25 17:08:47
    tictac08
    +1
    well i was spanked as a child and i never considered it abuse... if the kid had bruises from it though it would make me wonder.... But at the same time some people can bruise very easily.... I would not jump the gun to judge this guy... Although child abuse has to be watched, and children protected from it, but parent's should have the right to discipline their children too.... Otherwise we will have even more rebellious and unruly kids and then adults more then there is now.
  • SnaekySnap 2008/11/14 01:44:26
    SnaekySnap
    +2
    Two strikes on the butt hardly seems to be abuse to me. Simply leaving bruises is not completely an objective viewpoint either. Some people bruise more easily than others. In my opinion this is one of the reasons kids have gone wild, lack of discipline. Parents are afraid to do anything from fear of being labeled an abuser. One lady I know told me her daughter always threatens to turn her in for child abuse when she doesn't get her way. I am totally against abuse of any type however, there is a difference between a spanking and an abusive beating.
  • DARBY SnaekySnap 2008/12/24 21:23:40
    DARBY
    When my daughter threatened to call DFS cause she wanted to live with someone that wasnt so mean. I told her to go right ahead. I then told her that she was leaving my house the same way she came into it, naked as the day she was born, and I got to keep all her stuff. She never threatened to do that again.
  • brttsmiley 2008/11/12 05:04:59
    No. There is no excuse for child abuse.
    brttsmiley
    +1
    spanking as a punishment is ok but it is not ok to beat your child to the point where there are bruises left
  • MareBlair 2008/11/08 20:32:34
    MareBlair
    +2
    See, this is the problem. First, we don't know all the facts. Second, the guy only paddled him twice?

When I was a kid and I talked back to my parents, I got at least 5 whoopin's with the wooden paddle. Kids these days, man, they have it way too easy.
  • Arel 2008/11/01 16:22:57
    Arel
    +1
    I have no problem with spanking a child I don't agree with abuse; if you strike a child with a closed fist or in this case a big wooden paddle and you leave bruises I feel it crosses the line of a spanking. Some people do go too far and they should have to deal with the consequences and this man is clearly one of them.
  • Diana 2008/11/01 16:15:49
    Diana
    +2
    This is why we have so much crime. The government stepped in and took all the parental rights away and gave them to the kids. So, now we can't spank them, discipline them, and they learn no consequences. I'm glad I'm not raising kids today or I'd be in jail now. I believe in punishment. Even the bible says, "Spare the rod spoil the child". I believe in that wholeheartedly. I am already afraid of what the next generations will be like. They are the ones that will be taking care of us....
  • Margaret Bota 2008/11/01 09:14:11
    Margaret Bota
    It depends on what he did.
  • Elizabeth 2008/10/31 17:58:27
    Elizabeth
    This pastor beat his child and bruises resulted. This is abuse. An unhurtful spanking (a newspaper makes a loud noise while not harming) is a good thing at times, but only when a child is too young to reason and he has done something scary like suddenly running out into the street. Beating children breeds resentment and is non productive. Who wants to be close to that sort of parent? Everyone loses. That pastor might do well to study the commandments who preaches.
  • Ang Elizabeth 2014/07/06 21:04:39
    Ang
    exactly, my dad left bruises every once in a while but whelps all the time but to me it's abuse, you should never be terrified of your parent & I was terrified. I never did anything so bad to constitute a spanking & really don't believe in it. That teaches your child that if they are considered an adult & especially in an authorative postion they can hit or whatever is necessary to control the other person so men grow up thinking that gives them the right to hit their wife is she is not in submission to her husband, that is wrong, I am an equal partner & I will not be hit or punished because my husband thinks he's right or even if he's wrong, part of my job is to submit to him cause he's the man of the house. Don't think so!!
  • frogs 2008/10/31 12:39:38 (edited)
    frogs
    no there is no reason to hit any child iam against this totally.over here in australia its (VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMAN AND CHILDREN AUSTRALIA SAYS NO). but some do need a good kick in the ass.hit ant child iam totally australia violence woman children australia
  • Cookielane 2008/10/31 05:26:29
    Cookielane
    +1
    There's a difference between spanking and child abuse. You shouldn't leave bruises, but two swats on the butt is not abuse. You let a liar keep getting away with lying and that becomes more dishonesty, and before you know it you end up with a criminal. This country is turning into a bunch of wusses.
  • Manster Cookielane 2009/01/22 00:13:28
    Manster
    I like what you said about a liarbut here's my take on that:
    He winds up becoming an outgoing two-term president who possibly would have been elected to a third term,if it were possible for many of the folks on this websiteto vote for him again.
  • Cookielane Manster 2009/01/22 03:39:07
    Cookielane
    lol!
  • kate 2008/10/31 04:00:36
  • Madgranny 2008/10/31 03:53:01
    Madgranny
    +3
    This was the only time the child had ever received a spanking from Mr Barnett. The child was 12 and he was adopted. The family tried to get him to quit lying by grounding, sentances, not going to scouts, grounding from the phone and on and on. The spanking was a last resort. It was discipline. If they wanted to abuse him they would have allowed him to grow up a lying selfish drug addicted thief on welfare like his bio family!
  • Nikki 2008/10/31 00:03:22
    Nikki
    +2
    spanking them and beating them is two different things. He only struck the child twice and on the butt. that's a spanking, not a beating.
  • joe cronin 2008/10/30 22:34:44
    joe cronin
    +1
    It Biblical , " spare the rod and spoil the child " our nation is living proof of the degeneration of character .
  • frearisugly 2008/10/30 20:59:44
    No. There is no excuse for child abuse.
    frearisugly
    +1
    put him away ,you don't have the right to be a parent if you resort to violence,and thats the same as cursing ,thats violent also .

2014/07/26 07:26:52