Malware Shuts Down Internet for Many, But Was It Overhyped?

thezilch 2012/07/10 02:45:20

MASHABLE.COM reports:
No major companies experienced issues related to the so-called "Doomsday Virus."

mashable reports major companies experienced issues related so-called doomsday virus

Read More: http://mashable.com/2012/07/09/dns-malware-hype/

• DizziNY 2012/07/12 13:35:04 (edited)
    DizziNY
    I didn't experience any issues thank God.

were all gonna die
  • Magnus ☮ RP ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/07/12 07:13:39 (edited)
    Magnus ☮ RP ☮ 2012 ☮
    Wouldn't you know it, I don't know nor have I heard about anyone knowing anyone else I know, having had this thing strike their systems. Including the hundreds of thousands of people on all of the technical support forums and other such websites I frequent. Amazing, eh? So you bet, over-hyped... if it even exists in the first place, I still reserve strong doubt of that. Also, I think those who used that "scan" site are naive and gullible. The ISP's would have been the ones to recognize this going on first and would also have been the ones to address it, this kind of thing being their area of expertise after all - not the FBI, they wouldn't even concern themselves with such a trivial matter and I'll extend that also to ask, when is the last time the government did ANYTHING for the benefit of We The People without first getting something out of it for themselves? Exactly.

I'm actually thinking this had more to do with the following than anything else: http://www.wired.com/threatle...

"We suspect there are very few who are actually affected by this after all the outreach to get people to fix ahead of today,” said Alexis Fearon, director of new media at ITIF." How convenient...

Anyway, point of the matter is this... next time, just check your system yourself. It really is not brain ...

Anyway, point of the matter is this... next time, just check your system yourself. It really is not brain surgery - and neither is backing up your data and clean installing the OS and then setting up your internet and networks again. Fairly simple, and in fact I encourage this being done at least once per year. Keeps everything rock solid and stable.
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/07/10 17:44:56
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    Like a weaker, more annoying version of the Y2K scare.
    Like Y2K..... We're good here.
  • Chukroast 2012/07/10 07:09:54
    Chukroast
    Who knows if it were over-hyped? I ran a computer check and was clean, but how many others were affected? I have only seen guesses.
  • Radical Ed 2012/07/10 05:21:18
    Radical Ed
    +1
    Anyone with basic computer knowledge would tell you that it was over hyped. simple protection and cleaning can easily fox or remove the problem without the hassle of going to a suspicious website and check whether they have changed the DNS. Hell, i have several DNS IP addresses on my list just in case one goes down. a change in DNS is not always a bad thing and can actually help you keep your internet connection.
  • ParkMan 2012/07/10 03:17:48
    ParkMan
    I know I checked all my PCs. However, had it not been hyped and my PC infected, it would have been annoying when it stopped working today.
  • Flamingolady 2012/07/10 02:48:09
    Flamingolady
    +3
    Like all mainstream media, it was over hyped. The Sky is Falling

2014/09/02 04:45:43