Malia Obama May Be Dating: What Age Is It Appropriate To Start Dating?

Malia Obama got some tongues wagging when she was giggling and chatting with the boy sitting behind her at her dad’s Presidential Inauguration last month. But the kid in question was just her cousin Avery Robinson. That doesn’t mean Malia hasn’t found a special someone. As President Obama recently revealed, while warning parents of young children that kids grow up so fast, teens “have sleepovers and dates. So all that early investment just leaves them to go away."

Although he didn’t specifically say that Malia has a boyfriend, it certainly sounds like a passive admission of the fact. Of course, White House officials declined comment on the social status of the first daughter. And since Sasha and Malia can’t have Facebook pages, it’s impossible to check her status online.

If she were just a regular kid, it wouldn’t be unusual for the 14-year-old to start dating. But she’s certainly under a lot more scrutiny than most. And even everyday parents, who aren’t leaders of the free world, often choose to impose limits on the age when their children can start dating.

For some, 16 seems like the right target. And other folks let their younger ones go out on group get-togethers rather than one-on-one outings. What do you think: What age is it appropriate to start dating?

Read More: http://news.yahoo.com/love-white-house-obamas-vale...

• Adam 2013/02/18 17:49:07
    It depends on the individual kid
    Adam
    +15
    Define, "Dating". Surely a kid who is much less then 13 should be permitted to interact with members of the opposite gender in a social setting. I think that realistically, it is a sliding scale that needs to be judged on a case by case basis.

I think that kids are more capable then we give them credit for, though. My parents forbid me from dating until I was 16, and looking back, I think it did nothing but make me a bit more socially awkward. Respect a kids intelligence, and they will rise to your expectations much higher then you might expect.

(I am FLABBERGASTED that this hasn't descended into petty partisan bickering...yet. Good job, internet peeps.)

• Cookielane 2013/05/30 20:08:11
    It depends on the individual kid
    Cookielane
    +1
    Sixteen is the traditional age, but some wait longer.
  • Food Stamp Papa 2013/05/30 19:54:33
    It depends on the individual kid
    Food Stamp Papa
    +1
    dating? or sex? if dating with no sex i'd say 13 supervised. and 18 to have sex (yeah right)
  • VictorianBabe 2013/03/11 11:18:15
    17
    VictorianBabe
    You date because you're courting, you're courting to get married. Is she getting married anytime soon??? No. Then why date. Just sit your little fast ass down.
  • Alacrity 2013/03/07 08:50:15
    14
    Alacrity
    It depends on the individual kid, of course.
  • mae 2013/03/05 01:34:45
    14
    mae
    Fourteen for group daytime or dinner activities. Sixteen for a real date.
  • solly :) 2013/03/04 22:09:15
    It depends on the individual kid
    solly :)
    it depends ... but i think 17-18 ... is good enough ... cuz they'll be aware to their actions ... and take responsibilities for it
  • Th8nos 2013/02/23 14:19:50
    It depends on the individual kid
    Th8nos
    when you're out of my house on your own, fending for your damn self....until then
    my way or the highway
  • Ellie R... Th8nos 2013/03/09 09:41:43
    Ellie Railson
    +1
    Why are you so overprotecive? You just don't want to let your daughter go! She will just do it without telling you if your forbid her
  • Th8nos Ellie R... 2013/03/09 11:33:35
    Th8nos
    I'm not overprotective, but if you feel as though you're all grown up to make adult decisions then start living like one and pay your own bills (e.g., car note, insurance, clothes, cell phone, gas, food, college, extra expenses, etc.....)
  • Ellie R... Th8nos 2013/03/09 15:00:13
    Ellie Railson
    +1
    how is liking a boy a adult decision ?
  • Fun-sized Th8nos 2013/07/01 20:45:26
    Fun-sized
    That could make for a very socially-awkward 20-year-old...
  • Papillon 2013/02/22 07:28:15
  • kate 2013/02/22 04:19:50
    It depends on the individual kid
    kate
    I started dating at 13 but it all depends on how mature the kid is, plus it was not as serious as now
  • Sam 2013/02/22 03:42:52
    It depends on the individual kid
    Sam
    She is the President's daughter. Its only fair to leave it in his capable hands...of course, if he handles his family...the same way they did to pass Obamacare...i would leave the choice to the First Lady.
  • CorrectOpinion 2013/02/21 23:39:36
    16
    CorrectOpinion
    it doesn't depend on the kid. Man up parents. don't be stupid.
  • Ellie R... Correct... 2013/03/09 09:42:47
    Ellie Railson
    gosh why are you so overprotective? What harm will it do to have afriendsly date at the cinema at 12 or 13?
  • Correct... Ellie R... 2013/03/09 23:44:19
    CorrectOpinion
    You are kidding right?
  • Ellie R... Correct... 2013/03/10 09:20:19
    Ellie Railson
    No why should i be? I'm 12 and i went and saw ted with a boy it was great fun ! The only thing we did was hugged and said ''see you around'' I mean its just stupid, lots of people are saying you cant see boys until you are like 16. Whats the harm in it?
  • Truth Matters 2013/02/21 23:23:37
    It depends on the individual kid
    Truth Matters
    +3
    Liberals shouldn't breed.
  • marrisa Truth M... 2013/03/04 02:16:26
  • Truth M... marrisa 2013/03/04 22:07:59
  • marrisa Truth M... 2013/08/05 04:36:03
    marrisa
    Im not a democrat. Im a liberitarian.
  • adeenmc... marrisa 2013/06/09 02:47:29
  • peaches 2013/02/21 19:55:48 (edited)
    It depends on the individual kid
    peaches
    When they like someone and are mature enough to handle a relationship.
    I may have even been a mature enough 13 year old to hold a middle school relationship, however, I was also mature enough to know that dating was not something to do for social status, but when I actually like someone. I fell in love with my current girlfriend at age 15 and have been dating her for almost a year and a half.
  • Azazyel's Dragon 2013/02/21 15:35:30
    It depends on the individual kid
    Azazyel's Dragon
    +2
    I'd say 35 is a safe age to start dating...
  • ALofRI 2013/02/21 14:15:26
    It depends on the individual kid
    ALofRI
    .....AND, the individual parent.
    16
    +1
    16 or 17
  • Kerymi 2013/02/21 07:51:32
    15
    Kerymi
    +1
    At least wait until high school I think.
  • disclaimer 2013/02/21 06:30:59
    It depends on the individual kid
    disclaimer
    +2
    Plenty of girls her age date. Malia seems like a very mature young lady, and if she wants to have a boyfriend, why shouldn't she?
  • Nicole 2013/02/21 04:40:49
    It depends on the individual kid
    Nicole
    +3
    It depends...

Personally, and this may sound cynical, but I think 99.9% of relationships in middle school are pointless. In middle school, kids just date to date. They just want to be able to say that they have a boyfriend/girlfriend. Plus most middle school kids are immature and rude (sorry for the generalization. Not ALL are, but most. If you beg to differ with me, go to a public middle school, even just as a substitute teacher, and you will come back with a very different opinion).

In high school, it's not as pointless as in middle school (but still semi-pointless...), but it depends on the person. Some people just aren't ready to date or don't feel the need. Society puts a lot of pressure on us all to date. I'm 17 and I've never dated before. Guys have liked me but I just either only saw them as friends or wasn't ready to date yet. I'd say that now I'm finally ready to date, so it'll happen when it happens. I go to a small school with only about 25 boys in my grade. So choices are very limited and the odds of guys asking me out are pretty slim. Most guys at my school see me as really kind and nice so they treat me like a little sister, being protective of me. (I don't mind that.) Anyway, I don't mind being single; it's all I've ever known. And it keeps drama out of my l...
    It depends...

In high school, it's not as pointless as in middle school (but still semi-pointless...), but it depends on the person. Some people just aren't ready to date or don't feel the need. Society puts a lot of pressure on us all to date. I'm 17 and I've never dated before. Guys have liked me but I just either only saw them as friends or wasn't ready to date yet. I'd say that now I'm finally ready to date, so it'll happen when it happens. I go to a small school with only about 25 boys in my grade. So choices are very limited and the odds of guys asking me out are pretty slim. Most guys at my school see me as really kind and nice so they treat me like a little sister, being protective of me. (I don't mind that.) Anyway, I don't mind being single; it's all I've ever known. And it keeps drama out of my life. I love my life. I always see/hear people talking about their boyfriends/girlfriends....so much drama and problems. I don't have to deal with any of that. Don't date just to date. Don't waste both your time and the guy/girl that asked you out. Do it because you want to, not because you feel obliged to. And do it when YOU'RE ready, not when SOCIETY tells you you're ready.
  • peaches Nicole 2013/02/21 20:01:27
    peaches
    +2
    Well said (: And you're so right about middle school relationships. My friends and I have all agreed that they do not count! lol
  • marrisa Nicole 2013/03/04 02:18:30
    marrisa
    +3
    in elementary school,where im stuck at till next year,the kids have had boyfriends and girlfriends since 2nd grade and I have been marked a freak for not thinking boys are cute.
  • Nicole marrisa 2013/03/06 05:31:59
    Nicole
    Bleh. It's so pointless and a waste of time, especially in elementary school. People just have a boyfriend to have a boyfriend, which is not the right reason to do something. There were a few boys that liked me in elementary school but I said no when they asked me out. We were so young, I wasn't interested in having a boyfriend. I had crushes on boys but that was it. Good for you for not following everybody else. Boyfriends/girlfriends in 2nd grade is ridiculous. Really in elementary school you just have crushes. I don't understand why people feel the need to rush into dating. Like I said, they just do it to do it. You're definitely not a freak -- you're smart. You don't waste your time and other people's time by pretending like you like them just to say you have a boyfriend. Plus you spend your time doing what you SHOULD be doing: being a kid. Your time as both a kid and a single-person are limited. Once you're an adult (18) and married, that's it. I'm enjoying being single while it lasts, because the majority or my life will presumably be with a husband. I never dated in elementary school and I didn't have to deal with all the stupid drama that everybody else had to deal with. That's so YOUNG to start dealing with all that nonsense. My elementary school years were amazing an...
    Bleh. It's so pointless and a waste of time, especially in elementary school. People just have a boyfriend to have a boyfriend, which is not the right reason to do something. There were a few boys that liked me in elementary school but I said no when they asked me out. We were so young, I wasn't interested in having a boyfriend. I had crushes on boys but that was it. Good for you for not following everybody else. Boyfriends/girlfriends in 2nd grade is ridiculous. Really in elementary school you just have crushes. I don't understand why people feel the need to rush into dating. Like I said, they just do it to do it. You're definitely not a freak -- you're smart. You don't waste your time and other people's time by pretending like you like them just to say you have a boyfriend. Plus you spend your time doing what you SHOULD be doing: being a kid. Your time as both a kid and a single-person are limited. Once you're an adult (18) and married, that's it. I'm enjoying being single while it lasts, because the majority or my life will presumably be with a husband. I never dated in elementary school and I didn't have to deal with all the stupid drama that everybody else had to deal with. That's so YOUNG to start dealing with all that nonsense. My elementary school years were amazing and I wouldn't change a thing. I had a blast. When you go to middle school it will only get worse (...I'm not sure why girls want to date middle school guys anyway, seeing as 99% of them are jerks; girls are, too), but stay true to yourself and date when it feels right for you, not when everybody else is getting boyfriends/girlfriends. Good job for being smart and not following the crowd, yay for you! :)
  • adeenmc... Nicole 2013/06/09 02:54:44
  • adeenmc... Nicole 2013/06/09 02:51:43
  • Nicole adeenmc... 2013/06/25 07:13:59
    Nicole
    +1
    Thanks for the reply! I'm glad that somebody else agrees with me and is in the same situation as I am. :)
  • adeenmc... Nicole 2013/06/25 12:37:44
  • Jim 2013/02/21 04:35:57
    It depends on the individual kid
    Jim
    Is she your kid? Whenever you like. Mine? When she's 30. J/K...Kinda.
  • RavenTrinity 2013/02/21 03:33:22
    It depends on the individual kid
    RavenTrinity
    I would say 14, but it really does just depend on the kid's maturity level. I think 14 is ok for supervised dates, like the parents going to the movies with their child and his/her bf/gf.
  • marrisa RavenTr... 2013/03/04 02:19:31
    marrisa
    +2
    I feel bad for the parents.they have to listen to the kids complain that there going with them

2014/08/30 22:33:51