Malaysia Airlines to Ban Babies From Traveling in First Class: Fair?

Fun 2011/06/28 10:40:16
There are no shortage of trolls online, especially when the topic of flying comes up on any news website around the world. The members of our populations that get the biggest beating in online comments about annoyances when flying are children and babies. Well, looks like Malaysian Airlines has been listening.

Malasian Airlines is to ban babies traveling in first class on the airline's new Airbus A380 and Boeing 747-400 fleet.

So what about the parents of said children who can afford to, and prefer to fly first class? Do they send the children to economy with the nanny? What do you think, is it fair to ban babies and children from first class?

Read More: http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/malaysia-airlin...

• LifeIsComedyPHAET 2011/06/28 17:05:32
    Fair enough
    LifeIsComedyPHAET
    +20
    We pay extra to fly in comfort, not to hear a baby screaming it's lungs out because it's ears are popping from the altitude shift or just because they're bored.

Toddlers should be banned as well, I'm sick of paying extra to sit in first class only to spend the following hours having some snotty 3 year old kicking the back of my seat or running up and down the aisles while their parents do nothing because they think it's "cute".

• ibangel6 2011/06/29 01:21:50
    Fair enough
    ibangel6
    I guess i'd be pretty annoyed to pay for first class and then to hear a screaming baby the whole time.. Is first class that much nicer than coach? I found coach to be very pleasant.
  • Tom 2011/06/29 00:58:45
    Fair enough
    Tom
    Their business, their rules of doing business.
  • ☠Marz555☠ 2011/06/29 00:37:18
    Fair enough
    ☠Marz555☠
    Put those crotch droppings in coach... They are spoiling the first class comforts, Besides kids shouldn't see first class until they can buy the tickets themselves.
  • SykPuppy 2011/06/29 00:32:12
    Fair enough
    SykPuppy
    Really, babies and young children (under, say, the age of 4 or 5) should be banned from flights...and those in economy certainly shouldn't have to suffer through the screaming of a baby belonging to someone is first class!

I do think that there should be exceptions to the above rule, though: extreme family emergencies, funerals, the family migrating to another country etc. But, really, most young kids shouldn't be on planes.
  • Kar 2011/06/29 00:32:06
    Fair enough
    Kar
    babies are annoying sometimes... people pay so much to be at first class, it's not fair for them. parents with babies, even if they can afford to pay first class, it doesn't matter.
  • Xerxes 2011/06/29 00:30:46
    Xerxes
    +1
    only thing i can suggest fly another airline. It's their business, if enough families travel first class can probably force them to change their policy. if not then no change
  • sue Xerxes 2011/06/29 08:07:11
    sue
    +1
    True. People who can afford to fly the whole family first class will vote with their money. But I bet people with a lot of saved up miles for upgrades are not happy!
  • Xerxes sue 2011/06/29 17:53:43
    Xerxes
    +1
    never thought of that aspect, you're right
  • IrmaOsojkic 2011/06/29 00:28:55
    Far out
    IrmaOsojkic
    i meant fair enough. we pay extra for luxury so why have crying babies?
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2011/06/29 00:25:03
    Far out
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    Nah
  • Jack's Pearl 2011/06/29 00:24:02
    Fair enough
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    Why should a parent not be able to fly first class because they have their baby with them? If they pay for the seat then it's fair. If the baby fusses they can still go to another part of the plane until the baby settles.
  • Ηɑppƴ Ɲiɧiℓisʈ 2011/06/28 23:27:46
    Fair enough
    Ηɑppƴ Ɲiɧiℓisʈ
    I entirely agree with LifeIsComedyPHAET.
  • chrisjay 2011/06/28 23:19:35
    Fair enough
    chrisjay
    Some people don't know how to shut their babies up and I did not pay extra money just to hear your brat cry.
  • Liberty Blade 2011/06/28 23:18:42
    Fair enough
    Liberty Blade
    What's not fair, is when people pay high prices to travel FIRST CLASS. First class is meant to be QUIET. They need to make a special section on planes for adults with babies so they don't irritate fellow passengers.
  • Chris D 2011/06/28 23:13:12
    Fair enough
    Chris D
    back to steerage with all you babies
  • thє вluє wαndєrєr 2011/06/28 23:12:29
  • Beccy 2011/06/28 23:10:34
    Fair enough
    +1
    People pay alot for 1st class and probably don't want to put up with crying babies
  • WickedPippy 2011/06/28 23:05:14
    WickedPippy
    +1
    It's kinda a double edged sword...If you ban babies from first class then you lose business and reputation because your are discriminating...but people do pay extra for more comfort...although the people with children also pay extra for comfort...if you have flown with a baby you know that having more room and comfort is better...I flew coach with my daughter when she was a wee little thing and believe me it was hard...I wish I would have had the $ for first class (and she didn't cry at all the whole flight) because I was uncomfortable just to keep her comfortable...Bad juju let me tell you...three and half hours with no movement, no bathroom, and no entertainment...yeah and breast feeding on a plane with two dudes sitting next to you is weird (my first kid so I wasn't that comfortable with it)
    The people with kids pay for their seat too so unless they ban sleeping on planes because people snore or talking on planes because people are loud then banning children just isn't right....
  • Fair enough
    cнιвι cυρcαқєs ~*Λℓιcє*~ ♥♥
    +1
    It's first class. Obviously you wouldn't want a screaming baby in first class.
  • JBrutal 2011/06/28 23:04:13
    JBrutal
    +1
    if you pay for the baby then yes it should be able to fly in first class. Dont pay then no
  • Markie 2011/06/28 23:02:24
    Far out
    Markie
    If they can pay, let them ride where they want. Hell if they can pay enough let them ride with the pilots upfront.
  • Chaya2010 2011/06/28 23:01:21
    Fair enough
    Chaya2010
    +1
    If they can afford it why should it bother anybody?
  • colino Chaya2010 2011/06/28 23:34:59
    colino
    What does the cost have to do with it bothering anyone? It bothers people because babies are loud and annoying.
  • Chaya2010 colino 2011/06/28 23:39:30
    Chaya2010
    What do you propose banning babies because babies cry or just discriminate against them?

If they pay and don't breach any company rules then what is the problem?
  • colino Chaya2010 2011/06/28 23:45:12
  • Chaya2010 colino 2011/06/28 23:48:47
    Chaya2010
    Strawman argument that's not the issue.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2011/06/28 23:00:49
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +3
    FIRST CLASS AGE DISCRIMINATION! ......HOW ABOUT FUSSY OLD FOLKS? ....LOUD 20 YEAR OLDS? ......HOW ABOUT COMPLAINING MIDDLE AGED Bs? I REALLY DON'T MIND BABIES.... (GREAT GRANDMA)
  • Razzy Ratchets 2011/06/28 22:58:21
    Fair enough
    Razzy Ratchets
    A baby's wail is like nails on chalkboard to me. Why in the world would I pay a nice chunk of change to fly in misery? Ban the freaking babies! Ban baby, ban!
  • Twinky 2011/06/28 22:58:00
    Fair enough
    Twinky
    +1
    People saying "it's their right"... there are no 'rights' and people seem to use that word too easily nowadays.
    It's horrible sitting next to a baby who's crying because their ears are popping... but if I've spent thousands of pounds for a once in a lifetime trip in first class - is it really okay for me to be kept awake/have my ears bleed because of a screaming baby?
  • rk 2011/06/28 22:56:14
    Fair enough
    rk
    People flying first class don't want the crying baby with them . It's a big enough plane have the family room section.
  • rand 2011/06/28 22:54:54
    Fair enough
    rand
    It's their business!
  • Peetsalaf 2011/06/28 22:49:14
    Peetsalaf
    well...two things. 1)no rich first classer want to hear a noisy baby 2)parents should be aloud to ride first class WITH their baby.
  • MeMe23 2011/06/28 22:44:48 (edited)
    Fair enough
    MeMe23
    +1
    Yes, it's fair. Even as a mother there are just certain places I'd like to go without children; such as, the nail salon, hair dressers, R rated movies. I would also include first class seating. Sometimes you just want peace and quite.
  • Kat 2011/06/28 22:41:02
    Kat
    Not fair, if parents can afford it the kid should fly 1st class. Crazy rule.
  • Amber 2011/06/28 22:34:47
    Fair enough
    Amber
    +1
    Like the baby cares if he/she travels first class or not, and I'd rather be in coach if there's a baby crying in first class.
  • Lisa 2011/06/28 22:34:15 (edited)
    Far out
    Lisa
    if the parent pays for an extra seat, what does it matter if it is a child or an adult.
  • Sammy 2011/06/28 22:33:03
    Far out
    Sammy
    babies deserve to be comfortable and have luxuries too<3
  • John R 2011/06/28 22:32:53
    Fair enough
    John R
    Although I think the idea of banning children and babies in First Class is fairly assinine, I voted "Fair Enough" because they are a business, and should be allowed to essentially run their business as they wish. I understand and appreciate how having a squawling baby next or near you in a plane is frustrating and irritating. I've experienced it myself. But I can't bring myself to suggest that it would be (or should be) appropriate to not allow chidren and babies to fly in First Class. Not only does it tell prospective First Class-flying parents of the 'offending' child/baby that they are not 'good enough' to sit in First Class. But it also sends a very, VERY clear message to those in Coach or Economy class that they are "less than" their First Class counterparts. So ... First Class people, because they can afford to pay higher ticket prices should be allowed to travel without a child anywhere near them. But Coach/Economy just have to "suck it up". Nice to know that Malaysia Airlines cares so little for their Coach/Economy passengers.

And for those who have real problems with children/babies flying, keep in mind that you were a child once yourself. And if you had the opportunity to fly when you were young, it's a real possibility that you may have terrorized a plan...

And for those who have real problems with children/babies flying, keep in mind that you were a child once yourself. And if you had the opportunity to fly when you were young, it's a real possibility that you may have terrorized a planeload of passengers yourself. Not to mention, we should keep in mind that children/babies don't usually understand why their ears suddenly plug-up and/or pop. It can be a distressing experience for some adults ... imagine being a child/baby that has absolutely no clue as to what is going on ... and are largely unable to do much to diminish the uncomfortable sensations flying can cause. And in all honesty, of the numerous times I've flown all over the U.S. and to other countries, adults, hands-down, have irritated, frustrated and made my trip a complete nightmare much, MUCH more often than any child/baby has ever done.
  • AmericanVirus 2011/06/28 22:31:19
    Far out
    AmericanVirus
    Come on now, how many babies do you know that can afford to fly first class? If they can afford it, then they have done well enough in their short life to deserve first class, so why not let them? It's discrimination I say.
  • Bob S 2011/06/28 22:29:36
    Bob S
    Why would they consider such a thing. Just remember that babies don't but tickets. I really meant to give another answer.

2014/09/02 04:47:21