Makers, Takers and $2-a-dayers

~ The Rebel ~ 2012/03/17 00:19:05

One official measure of poverty around the world is surviving on $2 per day or less. It’s a condition many Americans could barely imagine living in. And yet the official data suggests that while politicians insist the U.S. is insulated from such deprivation, a large share of the country is feeling a cold draft from the “Third World.”(Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

A set of new analyses from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP), drawing from a study of income data by the University of Michigan's National Poverty Center, shows that for well over a million households, many of them with children, are besieged by hardship of an epic magnitude:

The number of U.S. households living on less than $2 per person per day — which the study terms “extreme poverty” — more than doubled between 1996 and 2011, from 636,000 to 1.46 million, the study finds... The number of children in extremely poor households also doubled, from 1.4 million to 2.8 million.

The World Bank's $2-per-day metric derives from a perennial cliché in humanitarian circles, generally used to describe poor countries in the Global South. But while some question the usefulness of such simplistic measures, the phrase has a unique application in a country that’s historically represented the top of the human development scale. And one reason why the U.S. has so many people stuck at the bottom is because in many communities, this inequality is practically written into the law, with public assistance programs virtually enforcing the extreme poverty line.

Read More: http://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/03/16-0

• ~ The Rebel ~ 2012/03/17 00:20:22
    ~ The Rebel ~
    +1
    Since bipartisan welfare “reform” under the Clinton administration, which precipitated the gutting of programs and erosion of benefit levels over time, the poorest households have become mired in outmoded welfare systems that don’t correspond to real social needs:

Benefits are below half of the poverty line in every state. For a family of three, benefits are only about $2 per person per day in Mississippi and Tennessee and only slightly more than $2 per person per day in Alabama and South Carolina, for example.

http://www.commondreams.org/v...
  • paul ~ The R... 2012/03/17 01:29:42 (edited)
    paul
    +1
    I can't feel too much sympathy for these "poor" folks......When I hear about women having new babies so they can get a raise in their welfare benefits, People on welfare over a period of decades, selling food stamps at half value or less, to buy booze, drugs, and other unauthorized items, using multiple names in multiple states........It makes me AnGrY! I doubt as I wake up at 4:30 am to get my 61 year old ass up go to work.......that I shall feel pity for those under paid welfare folks! They should be thanking God they live here in the USA and Not in Sudan or Thailand.....there if you don't work at something you Starve! I bet the Sudanese would be Happy as hell to have $2 person for doing nothing. angry man angry man

2014/10/25 16:48:34