LIVING: Should Waitress Have Lost Her Job Over Facebook Gripe?

How many times do we have to tell you? Be careful what you say on Facebook.

A North Carolina waitress is out of a job after griping on her Facebook page about the $5 tip she got from a couple who sat at their table for three hours, according to a report in the Charlotte Observer.

The waitress, 22-year-old Ashley Johnson, says the customers kept her at work for an hour after she was supposed to clock out. So she blasted them on Facebook, calling them cheap and mentioning the pizza restaurant by name.

"Thanks for eating at Brixx," she wrote, "you cheap piece of ---- camper."

Brixx officials told Johnson a couple of days later that she was being fired because she violated a company policy banning workers from speaking disparagingly about customers and casting the restaurant in a bad light on a social network.

But Johnson doesn’t know how the remark got back to her employer. She figures one of her Facebook friends must have done it, because her page is otherwise private, and she doesn't add people to her network if she doesn't know them.

Which just goes to show you: Even privacy settings don’t make Facebook private.

• coffee man 2010/05/18 16:06:13
    coffee man
    +5
    She doesn't know how the remark got back to her employer? Is she an idiot? She posted it on the effing INTERNET!!
    I honestly believe that there are a LOT of people out there who truly believe that when they post on FB they are only talking to a couple of people. I wouldn't call it a disorder by any means but I truly believe that some people don't understand that once they put something on the internet it's everyone's property.
    I know people who will refrain from saying something in a room full of people because it's not something that they want to talk about in public, but then they will go and post it on FB.

• kathryn burnett 2010/08/10 16:32:05
    kathryn burnett
    +1
    If it had been me, I would have told them to their face.Some people act like a waitress is their slave. Three hours is ridilious for anyone to set in a restaurant.Sounds like they wanted to get her fired and the management oblidged,shame on them for not doing something before they angered the waitress to the point of letting her anger out on facebook.Sounds like she had a lot of patience with these people.
  • Annahay 2010/08/06 20:49:16
    Annahay
    +1
    OK LOOK. We all have had bad days. You guys are acting irrational by saying "she should have been fired." That is very quick to judge. Who is the first to cast a stone ye hypocrate? Yes, that was wrong for her to be so pissed. OMG. Someone had a bad day. Let's fire them. First of all, there is a freedom of speech..She could have at least got a warning. It doesn't matter how big the tip was, or how hard she wrote about the customers on her PRIVATE PAGE. People will do anything to get money from someone, or to "get them back". It's amazing. She worked way past time, and that doesn't really even matter, but if you want to get into detail....Oh brother, we all make mountains out of molehills. This girl just had a bad day, the news hears about it, and everyone says "boo her." Seriously? If that is your attitude, then that just shows what kind of person you are by having NO compassion. God says if you do not have compassion and mercy on others, NEITHER WILL HE YOU. and if you don't believe in God, then that just shows that you do not have a brain or heart anyway. Think about how small this mistake really is, and how her boss could have at least gave her a warning or been understanding.
  • Jim 2010/08/06 16:51:21
    Jim
    +2
    Her attitude on FaceBook is probably a reflection on her waitress abilities and she was lucky to get a $5 tip. She hasn't learned at her age to just smile and keep her mouth shut at the job and afterwards. A good way to find who your friends aren't is to tell them something you don't want other people to know....especially on a PUBLIC forum.
  • mickyfxstc01 2010/08/06 14:46:56
    mickyfxstc01
    +3
    Have you ever waited tables?? If not your opinion is mute! I use to play music professionally in Bars, and resturant lounges!! To have just so many tables to work (your station) then you want them to turn asap or when the party is finished eating, and or drinking then tip and leave!!! Or pay the waitress for holding her table hostage!!If you stay carrying on a conversation and not drinking or eating and asking the waitress to clear the table, bring you more free refills on your tea or coke, then stay for an hour after youve eaten or have stopped eating then you need to realize you just cost your waitress money, because other people could have sat and tipped. but they stayed an hour past her getting off time. Standing, Walking all day cleaning up mess people would not leave on the table at home and then stiff the waitress for $5.00! Give me a break! the management at BRIXX should have given the table to another waitress and let the girl go home..her shift was over and she couldnt take anymore customers because she was off the clock!! They make 1/2 of min wage!! put your self in her place. She appoligized, but management is to blame here.
    just my opinion and every one has one!
  • Jim mickyfx... 2010/08/06 16:57:08
    Jim
    +1
    your kidding RIGHT
  • berrywine 2010/08/06 11:32:45
    berrywine
    +3
    I feel you should keep your work business private. posting it on facebook says lets tell the whole world. besides maybe those people only had five dollars left in there wallet.. iwork in healthcare care and you consider other people not just how much money you make or what people give you as a tip or otherwise.
  • princess 2010/08/06 10:28:17
    princess
    +3
    i feel sorry for her.
  • DAFFY 2010/08/05 23:36:11
    DAFFY
    +3
    FROM ALL YOUR RESPONCES IT SOUNDS LIKE A BUNCH OF SELF SERVING IDIOTS, ONLY CONCERNED WITH YOUR SELF AND SHOWING NO COMPASSION FORM YOUR FELLOWM MAN
  • jowings 2010/08/05 23:17:20
    jowings
    +3
    bocott brixx pizza her page on facebook on her time not at work freedom of speech you as@ Hol@s hope you go broke
  • Jim jowings 2010/08/06 17:01:16
    Jim
    +3
    WITH WAITTESE LIKE HER they will go broke lucky they found out
  • candy gurl 2010/08/05 21:55:41
    candy gurl
    +3
    1. Don't say you have a FB.
    2. Use a different name/e-mail/picture (cartoon character, a flower).
    3. Add only family and close friends.
    4. Beware when adding co-workers...hold your "typing fingers" when it come to rants.
    5. If needs be, create another FB to rant on...for this one, you might want to follow #2 and add all sorts of people and don't put alot of information that can raise red flags to you. No familiy, friends or co-workers. And still, be careful on what you say and how you describe your rant. Someone can report you and it'll be easy to trace it to you. I.E. Don't say the company name. Say, "the company I work for.".
  • Momsie 2010/08/05 15:20:01
    Momsie
    +2
    If this has been said I apologize. I read some of the posts but there are too many to read all. 1st, the article did not make it clear if she had been warned before about the same situation. Per law before someone can be fired, they need to have been warned at least 2 prior times. 2nd, if she is indeed private on facebook, it doesn't mean that her information went public. Bosses, generally monitor social network sites to see what their employees are up to and to make sure that they aren't using company time to do their socialize. So that said, should she have posted? my vote is no.
  • CLW 2010/08/05 13:52:31
    CLW
    +2
    I think she absolutely should have been fired. Her tip was adequate, maybe it was even generous given her disposition and when has there ever been a time limit on eating lunch? I'm sure this group of campers were enjoying themselves and enjoying a wonderful meal which is exactly what a restaurant wants people to do. It's about time people start realizing how lucky they are for having a job, any job in today's economy.
  • lucky 2010/05/20 17:36:38
    lucky
    She sounds like she has no sense of work sense any way. The customers didnt keep her there, her boss did. You dont run your mouth about your your place of employment somewhere that has security holes as big as the grand canyon and just because the couple stayed for 3 hours doesnt mean her service was worth more then a 5 dollar tip.
  • seathanaich 2010/05/20 16:04:11
    seathanaich
    +1
    Tipping is for suckers.
  • renne 2010/05/20 15:20:16
    renne
    wow dats really messed up i dnt blane her i would do that to who the hell sits there for 3hrs and then leaves a lousy tip but o her part she shount hav said the name of the place
  • Tucker 2010/05/20 12:22:32
    Tucker
    She should charge the Pizza place for the add. She crossed the company policy line. If you can't do the time don't do the crime.
  • Katie~awkward child♥ 2010/05/19 23:10:54
    Katie~awkward child♥
    Just goes to show how little privacy there actually is on the internet......you shouldn't go around posting anything too personal on a site like FB.
  • Someone 2010/05/19 22:20:26
    Someone
    I don't like the type of big brother on the internet but on the other hand i agree that everyone has to be careful when he is publishing something. Don't keep your hopes to the people only God is absolutely perfect!
  • StarringU 2010/05/19 16:00:13
    StarringU
    Well, for one thing privacy dont mean a danged thing on Facebook. FB used to be fun when it first started out. In 2004 by a college student who took on a special group in TICKLE web as an experiment to see how well it would roll w the general public and I was one of those, having a website on TICKLE.
    FB has gone to the birds . If you think you have a chance at privacy, just post the name you were blessed with at birth, your real birthdate, any person you may have said I DO to , or I DONT to...and your quiet private existance IS NOT MORE!Prepare right now to get a prepay cell and do away with your house phone Period

\ My sister in my eyes betrayed me and added my ex spouse( pretty complicated case scenario , )She just joined FB & is clueless to how powerful social networks can be

I think it really sux how ONE slip of the keyboard, one posting, one click of the keystroke, one punch of ENTER can forever change your destiny .

I think if you are a family , especially one who has always valued one another and been close, that you need to re-access and evaluate the way FaceBook and other social networks are allowed to have access to us and our privacy and our lives and especially our FAMILY life.

Life is so short...I know everything that is on the web goes everywher...

Life is so short...I know everything that is on the web goes everywhere forever.
    SO BE IT. I haven't said anything on here that i have not said to my sister already. SHE after all, is the one who drove 1500 miles to rescue me...and many times after.
    I agree with coffee man. ONE REMARK will get back to a person when it comes to Facebook because FACEBOOK , i have found to be a sort of evil that draws you in no matter what..
    You know,,,kinda like satan? coffee remark person facebook facebook sort evil draws knowkinda satan
  • Nancy 2010/05/19 15:57:52
    Nancy
    +1
    I'd fire her for being on that stupid site! seriously, have you seen it?
    People I KNOW are at work are on that site playing FARMVILLE!
    she shouldda posted her gripe on yelp.com
  • Terry J Vey 2010/05/19 15:46:39
    Terry J Vey
    Good "friends"
  • on and on1 2010/05/19 15:10:12
    on and on1
    What a joke. She didn't mention the customers by name (from what is written above) so it's not like she slandered anyone. Having said that, if the pizza shop (really .... a pizza shop?) has a written policy that she violated, then she deserves to be fired, as stupid as that is. I've never had a problem with FB and most of my friends have not had any problems either. A little paranoia goes a long way .... right SodaHead!!??
  • marcuss LIBERALS ARE TRAITORS 2010/05/19 14:34:22
    marcuss LIBERALS ARE TRAITORS
    Anyone who posts anything like that on facebook is a moron. She got fired for stupidity and nothing else.
    At least some people use their brain here and dont give out all of their personal information.
  • Saltwater Dude 2010/05/19 14:11:41
    Saltwater Dude
    She's only 22. She still has the mentality of a 10 year old. She needed to be fired. It's part of growing up and gaining experience. But she probably won't learn anything from it. She's probably sitting in her room posting her anger towards the customers and ex-employer on Facebook.
  • Autarchic 2010/05/19 12:38:43
    Autarchic
    Using Facebook is not very smart, in the first place.
  • Red high priestess in Nyx I... 2010/05/19 12:31:21
    Red high priestess in Nyx I trust
    Yes she should be fired for that!
  • cнιвι cυρcαқєs ~*Λℓιcє*~ ♥♥
    Oh snap!
  • Andrea 2010/05/19 08:49:47 (edited)
    Andrea
    There is a precedent about this very thing. She can sue her employer and most likely win. Posting about her job on the net and someone reading it is no different than your employer firing you for venting off the clock on your own property about your job. There is a thing called privacy. What you do off the clock, unless you have a contract forbidding it, is none of their business.

I was threatened with this exact situation by a manager and did a lot of research on the legality of terminating employees over social networking sites. She best get a lawyer and teach them a lesson about privacy and the law.
  • James Andrea 2010/05/19 12:20:20
    James
    Same with schools.
  • Saltwat... Andrea 2010/05/19 14:20:48
    Saltwater Dude
    What exactly about Facebook insinuates "privacy"? Lots of employers reserve the right to terminate an employee for inappropriate behavior off the clock if it involves the employer in a disparaging manner. Did you win your lawsuit? Be honest.
  • Terry J... Andrea 2010/05/19 15:50:00
    Terry J Vey
    Depending on the state u live in matters as well.Some states like Wisconsin basicly let an employer fire you for any reason.They are not even required to give a reason
  • Andrea Terry J... 2010/05/19 18:55:09
    Andrea
    At will states, that is true. However, even in at will states you can sue and win for unjust termination.
  • Terry J... Andrea 2010/05/20 19:17:22
    Terry J Vey
    I guess she is getting enough publicity a lawyer will contact her!
  • Andrea Terry J... 2010/05/20 20:05:18
    Andrea
    Lol...probably.
  • Catnip 2010/05/19 06:30:06
    Catnip
    The resteraunt hag every right to fire her. She probably violated company policy by mentioning the name of her employers on an outside entity (facebook). By bashing two paying customers for not leaving a large enough gratuity, she put the whole resteraunt in a bad light. It's facebook after all. EVERYONE HAS ACCESS TO IT!!!!
  • Andrea Catnip 2010/05/19 08:53:00
    Andrea
    Not if your page is private they don't. And unless she signed a contract not to mention the company name, the employer broke the law.
  • wolfshadow 2010/05/19 06:26:49 (edited)
    wolfshadow
    I dont get it, first the question was Can Facebook get you fired? Yes...
    Now it says Should waitress have lost her job over facebook gripe? Yes...

I know of some employers that do not allow employees to even have a facebook account. In this womans case, the policy is in writing and she violated it. People seem to have forgotten that private empoyers own the company and they set the rules. Violate the rules, work someplace else.

I think it's a stupid reason, but hey, they said don't, she did and now she doesn't.

(Why are all the featured questions from Sodahead?)
  • Carlo 2010/05/19 05:43:13 (edited)
    Carlo
    "company policy banning workers from speaking disparagingly about customers and casting the restaurant in a bad light on a social network"

This tells me that the exact incident has occurred in the past; causing the restaurant to implement this policy. She should have known better. So if she was aware of the policy, she should be let go.
    But your talking about a pizza place. I dont know about you but i'm not seeing this mentioned during the job interview. Therefore if she was unaware she should...sue. jk
    She should be given a warning and made aware of all policies that pertain to behavior when not working.
    Then make sure the friend who still works there puts a cockroach is in the pizza of the person who ratted her out during their next visit. You know they always find out who.
    (I'm totally kidding) :^)

All media on social networks is concidered public. Reguardless
  • Crazy Bill 2010/05/19 01:43:42
    Crazy Bill
    +3
    Facebook or not it is the Internet and nothing is private. I do know that if you want to gripe about work, do it to a friend and not a public place such as the 'net.

2014/07/29 12:50:23