LIVING: Is ‘Female Viagra’ Finally On the Way?

Ask the average woman if she’d pop a pill that would help her have an orgasm, her answer will likely be “YES! YES! YES!”

And she wouldn’t be alone. Apparently, only 30 percent of women climax during intercourse. For the other 70 percent, help may be on the way.

On June 18, the FDA will hold a hearing on the drug Flibanserin, which as been shown to heighten sexual interest and reduce inhibitions, according to Newsweek.

North American women who took Flibanserin for about six months increased their number of "sexually satisfying events" (including orgasm) to an average of 4.5 from 2.8. Prior to the trial, the test subjects had been suffering from a lack of sexual desire.

Critics, however, aren’t quite so excited. In the new documentary, Orgasm Inc., Leonore Tiefer, clinical associate professor of psychiatry at the New York University School of Medicine, argues that no single drug could possibly cure all of women's sexual problems because there are so many potential causes for a woman's inability to enjoy sex.

What do you think? Can women find passion in a pill?

• C. C. Rider 2010/05/25 14:58:59 (edited)
    C. C. Rider
    +3
    lol...so far I never needed a pill....just find a good lover...God...I love that clip...I'll have what she is having......oh god...yes...oh god...mmm...yep...love that clip

• Ric O'Shea® 2010/05/28 15:35:05
  • Koatz 2010/05/25 20:11:57
    Koatz
    NO. They are much more complicated.
  • Eric ~ The Logician 2010/05/25 18:18:21
    Eric ~ The Logician
    I would recommend taking me for this problem, but I'm probably more expensive.
  • Jolly Roger 2010/05/25 18:14:55
    Jolly Roger
    If your mechanic can't fine-tune your engine, fire him & get one that can!

mechanic fine-tune engine fire
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2010/05/25 17:51:56
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +1
    I want it!!!!!

I love my man, but I'm hard to please.
  • DollyRivas 2010/05/25 17:48:06
  • MindReader 2010/05/25 17:37:04
    MindReader
    I hope so; but, I am too old to enjoy it. hope enjoy
  • Melizmatic 2010/05/25 17:33:52 (edited)
    Melizmatic
    Oh lord, the "take a pill & fix it" mentality.
    SMH.

At any rate, while I don't need any help in that area, I'm not against women having more orgasms.

Edited to say what a great movie When Harry met Sally is, and that scene is just awesome.

"I'll have whatever SHE had." *lol
  • Bonnie 2010/05/25 17:12:45
    Bonnie
    +1
    Critics are always quick to crap on any advancements that might improve a woman's sexual experience. Leonore Tiefer wants to nix it because female sexual dysfunction is caused by too many different things to cure with one pill? Why does it have to be all or nothing? So maybe the root of your sexual issues isn't curable with this medication...obviously, in that case, this medication is not for you. Try another type of therapy. Advancements in the research and in various treatments for female sexual dysfunction have been repeatedly shut down by the FDA...

It seems to be that there is a sort of sexism when it comes to these drugs - anything that can give a man a better, harder, longer-lasting erection and more satisfying climax is researched vigorously, approved, packaged, and sold like hotcakes. But a woman's sexual pleasure isn't very important to society and the medical community. Perhaps, on some level, the idea of empowering a woman by putting her in control of maximizing her pleasure is just too threatening to the fragile male ego.
  • PDenoli 2010/05/25 16:38:00
    PDenoli
    Hey, perhaps the missing ingredient is to be with the right person?

And if that's not sufficient (no pun intended), here come the pills. The original poster relates that: "In the new documentary, Orgasm Inc., LeonoreLeonore Tiefer, clinical associate professor of psychiatry at the New York University School of MedicineNew York University School of Medicine, argues that no single drug could possibly cure all of women's sexual problemssexual problems because there are so many potential causes for a woman's inability to enjoy sex."

That's a really odd thing for her to say. The subject of discussion - pleasure - isn't some obscure dissertation. If Leonore Tiefer has a better solution, she should put it out there. There's no reason that the public at large would be incapable of deciding which solution is preferred.

I haven't seen Leonore's documentary, but if her only point is to say that "it's complicated", what value is she bringing to the table, really? If Fibanserin is safe (and wouldn't it be nice to have a product that's thoroughly tested and non-carcinogenic before it's sold?) and if women think it makes them have more pleasure. What's the problem?

I get it, it's a superficial fix and they should be looking deeper and maybe they won't look deeper if they have a superficial fix. Got it! But do people care? Again, that's up to the public to decide. Cheers!
  • Bonnie PDenoli 2010/05/25 17:32:17
    Bonnie
    +2
    What's the problem? Sexism. Not the "women make less than men in the same types of jobs" sexism or the "I'd rather hire a man because he won't get pregnant and quit" sexism, but a deeper, more biological and subconscious kind of sexism that exists in men AND women and in society as a whole.

If you've ever studied (or even casually glanced at an article here or there) gender roles in human sexuality, you probably know that societies all over the world, since the beginning of time, have held major double standards when it comes to women, men, and sex. Men had concubines, women could be stoned to death for having sex outside of marriage. Men who raped women had to pay her father a monetary restitution, and then her family could kill her for dishonoring them. Even today in liberated, post-feminist America, men who sleep with lots of women are masculine and cool ("Aaat's mah boy!!") and women who sleep with lots of men are loose little whores.

Sexuality and pleasure are empowering, and giving women the ability to control and maximize her sexual pleasure is threatening, on some deep, psychological, biological level to men and to the "natural order" of things. Men have to climax to make babies. Women don't. Men are stereotypically highly sexual and thus, it is acceptable for ...

Sexuality and pleasure are empowering, and giving women the ability to control and maximize her sexual pleasure is threatening, on some deep, psychological, biological level to men and to the "natural order" of things. Men have to climax to make babies. Women don't. Men are stereotypically highly sexual and thus, it is acceptable for them to fulfill their needs and "spread their seed." If women were as highly sexual and received as much gratification from sex as men did, what would happen? Women running amok and acting like sexual animals! Women having sex with lots of men, being able to compare their lovers and demanding what they want sexually! Wives demanding pleasure from their husbands or - gasp - seeking the fulfillment they need elsewhere! OH THE HUMANITY!!

Again, this is obviously not a conscious thought running actively through the minds of human beings on a daily basis, but sex, rape, pleasure, fidelity, childbirth, marriage, and family have all played a huge role in shaping society as patriarchal, and things that change the way we've always done things in these arenas - particularly things that give more power and autonomy to women (remember the fight against hormonal contraceptives in the 60's?) - are almost always railed against to some degree.

It's like, totally lame. ;-)
  • Surgeon... Bonnie 2010/05/25 18:20:31
    Surgeon ~The Egalitarianist~
    "men who sleep with lots of women are masculine and cool ("Aaat's mah boy!!") and women who sleep with lots of men are loose little whores."

Well, if it makes you feel any better... I think both are being whores. =D
  • PDenoli Bonnie 2010/05/25 20:02:55
    PDenoli
    Okay, so here's my ignorance - I don't see how any of that (though interesting) has anything to do with people protesting a pill that seems to make some women happy.

If I try to summarize what you've said... you're opposed to medical intervention because historically, there has been a lot of pressure on women to not have or enjoy sex?

Okay, accepted... I'm a guy and just like a lot of other guys, I tend to ignore or downplay those things that can't be fixed. I mean... how does someone fix history? I understand how someone creates a mood-enhancing pill or a blood-flow enhancing pill. But I have no idea how to go about changing gender bias throughout history. So I shrug and move on. I'm not dismissing you, I'm dismissing my ability to do anything about it.

And with all sincerity, are there really women who can't get an orgasm because they're thinking about honor killings on another continent? And if there are - why begrudge women who are helped by this pill? Again, my ignorance - I don't get that.
  • Bonnie PDenoli 2010/05/26 16:22:56
    Bonnie
    PDennoll - I think you definitely misunderstood me. I am not opposed to medical intervention! I think this pill could be a great thing, just like I was enthusiastic about the possibilities of the testosterone patch before it (which was ruled against by the FDA), the use of Viagra in females (which was ruled against by the FDA), and at least two other hormonal and/or chemical treatments for Female Sexual Dysfunction. You know what they HAVE approved? I clitoral pump. LMAO!!

No, no, no...my point was that human sexuality, female sexuality, and gender roles are intertwined and very complex studies in the fields of medicine, biology, psychology, theology, sociology, and philosophy, and that the general attitude amongst scholars, doctors, and government entities AGAINST finding something to enhance womens' sexual pleasure and experience is a result of - basically - the patriarchal culture that has dominated nearly the entire world since the beginning of recorded human history. We saw the same sort of thing with the birth control pill when it made its debut here in America in the 60s. Certain groups RAILED against it and the FDA and the government tried repeatedly to block its approval and sale. Think about why...because once women had the power to protect themselves against ...

No, no, no...my point was that human sexuality, female sexuality, and gender roles are intertwined and very complex studies in the fields of medicine, biology, psychology, theology, sociology, and philosophy, and that the general attitude amongst scholars, doctors, and government entities AGAINST finding something to enhance womens' sexual pleasure and experience is a result of - basically - the patriarchal culture that has dominated nearly the entire world since the beginning of recorded human history. We saw the same sort of thing with the birth control pill when it made its debut here in America in the 60s. Certain groups RAILED against it and the FDA and the government tried repeatedly to block its approval and sale. Think about why...because once women had the power to protect themselves against unwanted pregnancy, they gained independence from men. We could delay marriage and motherhood and get educations and establish careers. We could divorce our way out of marriages we were dissatisfied with more easily, thanks to being educated, having our own income, and not being saddled with 6 or 7 or 8 kids.

Similarly, this pill is a sort of affirmation of the relatively modern idea that it's OK for a woman to enjoy sex (in the past, and even today in some places, women weren't supposed to enjoy it - it was a duty, with pregnancy, not female orgasm, seen as the successful result), and it could give women a certain amount of power, control, and independence that is contrary to all that we've known and believed since the beginning of time. Put it this way - if it IS approved, I guarantee the Pope will denounce it and discourage Catholic believers from using it, LMAO.

Obviously, societal attitudes on gender roles in the context human sexuality is a subject of great interest to me - I studied it in college, I've studied it on my own, and although I consider myself reasonably intelligent and well-read on the subject, I'm NOT a biologist, sociologist, philosopher, doctor, theologian, or psychologist. So I lack the credentials and the level of education and experience to really organize and articulate my thoughts effectively, which is certainly why you misunderstood me...I'm sittin' here pontificating and spouting off like some arrogant Ph.D. on a subject that I like but only truly understand on a basic undergraduate level, LoL.

Bottom Line: YAY for research into and approval of effective solutions for Female Sexual Dysfunction. ;-)
  • PDenoli Bonnie 2010/05/26 20:00:11
    PDenoli
    I'm glad to hear it. I had said something relatively positive about the pill and your response sounded very negative against what I had just said.

As for this being a human sexuality issue... it is. And I could be wrong, but I always understood the opposition to birth control pills had more to do with religious and moral notions regarding contraception versus "controlling a woman's sexuality" per-se. Granted, the two notions may be irrevocably entwined, but it's useful to understand people's underlying motives before tagging them with your own. I don't think you can arbitrarily take that example and apply it to just anything.

If I'm right about motives and that's relevant it suggests that "nobody" (read: always rare exceptions) is going to be railing against a woman's pleasure. Using motives as a predictor, I say that you're just simply not going to see that. Those same religious and moral opponents of THE pill are going to embrace THIS pill for the potential it may have in enhancing or preserving marriages. So I don't see that same opposition materializing.

Opposition will come in two forms. First, you'll see it when people decide they want to start handing these things out to school kids. Sure as rain, those pesky religious and moral objections will crop up and you'll ...

Opposition will come in two forms. First, you'll see it when people decide they want to start handing these things out to school kids. Sure as rain, those pesky religious and moral objections will crop up and you'll have one side saying it's evil and another side saying little girls are going to have sex anyway, they might as well enjoy it.

Secondly, you'll see opposition if someone tries to make this yet another government freebie. Just as you saw with viagra, people are going to lose their fuzzy minds to hear the feds are using tax money to hand out viagra or these pills. And on the other side you'll hear the usual assertions that pleasure is a human right and so people should pay for other people to get off.

Because nobody wants to take care of themselves, anymore. Pun intended. It does seem that some people aren't happy unless they are arguing. I hope they stop eventually. :)
  • Bonnie PDenoli 2010/05/26 21:08:45
    Bonnie
    Pahahaha, I enjoyed your pun. ;-)
  • kylie 2010/05/25 15:58:01
    kylie
    +1
    hmmm, yeh i think for women it's harder to get into it, because it all depends if ur mind is where ur body is, where as men are more visual so it's easier for them lol, and lets face it what men think women want is usually wrong lol, i wont need no pill i prefer to tell my partner exactly what i want, and show him how to do things to pleasure me, if u cant talk to ur partner about ur sex life.... that pretty sad
  • KARI 2010/05/25 15:57:59
    KARI
    finally!
  • Surgeon ~The Egalitarianist~ 2010/05/25 15:36:10 (edited)
    Surgeon ~The Egalitarianist~
    I don't need nor have any desire to orgasm.
    Women can have a mental block when it comes to an orgasm though.

I've only had one once (and it made a really huge mess and it didn't help I was on my period either and while it felt fine at first, it hurt like a bitch after) - and that was by mental masturbation only (seriously, no touching involved at all - it was all mental).
    Maybe they just are not being satisfied in the way they want to be - in other words, speak up and tell the man what you really want. Don't be lame and use a pill - it's no fun if you use a pill as it totally isn't natural.

Besides, there could be some risk of addiction if one isn't careful.
  • Akamar Surgeon... 2010/05/25 15:50:20
    Akamar
    +3
    Or, at least, dependence...
  • Melizmatic Surgeon... 2010/05/25 17:37:41
    Melizmatic
    Uh... if it hurt, that wasn't an orgasm.

Orgasms generally HELP with menstrual cramping, not make them worse. That may be something to see your physician about.
  • Surgeon... Melizmatic 2010/05/25 17:45:42 (edited)
    Surgeon ~The Egalitarianist~
    I meant after a while. Not at first. I've always been prone to pain and sensitivity with cramping.

Generally. Not always. I already know what wrong. I've cysts on my ovaries - I often forget my BCP (esp. considering I lost them) which helps with the pain. But they keep dissolving over again when I don't take my BCP regularly.

My body is backwards and messed up so bad anyway.
  • Melizmatic Surgeon... 2010/05/25 17:48:25
    Melizmatic
    Yikes! That sucks.

I'm so sorry.
    One of my sorority sisters had cysts on her ovaries; she was perpetually in pain.
  • Surgeon... Melizmatic 2010/05/25 17:52:04
    Surgeon ~The Egalitarianist~
    Meh, ya get used to it. I pretty much grew up in pain on account of my medical problems were only more recently discovered. So I became pretty pain tolerant.

It's okay. It's no big deal to me as it's pretty small. It just hurts like a bitch when the month comes to an end.
    Could be worse after all.
  • Melizmatic Surgeon... 2010/05/25 17:59:48
    Melizmatic
    That it could.
    Peace & blessings to you.
  • KendraRa'fiki 2010/05/25 15:31:24
    KendraRa'fiki
    I guess it all depends on the guy you're with ; )
    C. C. Rider
    +3
  • Golanv ... C. C. R... 2010/05/25 15:55:16
    Golanv (Raven)
    +2
    lol. Same here, C.C. ~ I knew it was low but I can't believe it is only 30 %. Women must stop faking orgasms. Too many men have no clue afterwards and don't know what to do with an honest woman when they find one. I don't think I COULD fake an orgasm and wouldn't want to; I think it is extremely dishonest. But I do love that scene too!
  • C. C. R... Golanv ... 2010/05/25 16:47:24
    C. C. Rider
    +1
    LMAO!!!! for sure....I don't know what they do with an honest women...I'v never been one lol...now...I know what they do with a naughty one...lol...hey...I watch TV lol...love your post!!!!!
  • Golanv ... C. C. R... 2010/05/25 18:53:58
    Golanv (Raven)
    +1
    LOL, C.C.R. ~ You strike me as a very honest woman. Doesn't mean you can't be naughty too. :)
  • Gun665 2010/05/25 14:19:39

2014/10/26 03:14:18