Levi Johnston Is Reportedly Broke and Living With His Mom: Is Living With Your Parents After 18 OK?

The Big Question 2012/05/25 20:42:18

• Dave The Canuck 2012/05/28 02:50:14
    Dave The Canuck
    +6
    At 18, except in rare cases, I think the youth SHOULD still be living at home with their parents. I wouldn't recommend living on one's own until at least 21. At 18, you're still sort of a kid. Too young to move out, in my opinion.

• JohnT 2012/05/28 02:59:28
    JohnT
    +1
    He blows a whole bunch of money does nothing with his life, does not even get a decent education to make something of himself. Move along, get a job get a life, get some brains.
    In his case he will just sponge off mom and dad.
  • Ericka JohnT 2012/05/28 06:00:09
    Ericka
    +1
    No kidding - what a crybaby mama's boy.

Now, they're our sons and we love them, BUT when they have Mom's apron string choking them half to death and stunting their growth as adults, its definitely long past time to CUT IT. We have boys here, but they know if they aren't either going to college or paying rent once they're 18, there will be Trouble.
  • Dave The Canuck 2012/05/28 02:50:14
    Dave The Canuck
    +6
  • exsecrare Dave Th... 2012/05/28 03:20:09
    exsecrare
    +1
    I left home at 16.
  • Dave Th... exsecrare 2012/05/28 03:35:18
    Dave The Canuck
    Really? Well, each to their own, I guess.
  • exsecrare Dave Th... 2012/05/28 03:42:18
    exsecrare
    Yes, I would have done it earlier but I didn't find a way out until that point.
  • Dave Th... exsecrare 2012/05/28 06:19:43
    Dave The Canuck
    Were your parents abusing you?
  • exsecrare Dave Th... 2012/05/28 15:53:40
    exsecrare
    At the time that I had left it was more mental than physical, but yes.
  • JohnT exsecrare 2012/05/28 14:19:03
    JohnT
    +1
    I went into the Military at 17 with my father signing for me and active duty at 18. Never went back home. If a kid is going to school fine but other than that time for them to find a full time job and either contribute to the household by money, labor etc or get out.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/05/28 02:43:12
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +1
    WHAT A FLUNK-A-FIED FAILURE!
  • LdyLeo 2012/05/28 02:37:43
    LdyLeo
    +5
    I'm 21 and I am still living with my mom.
  • L1 2012/05/28 02:36:58
    L1
    +3
    With this economy, it's happening more and more. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as both parties agree to their own set of living conditions.
  • Poet003 2012/05/28 02:36:55
    Poet003
    +3
    Yes, if you are doing something for a trade or learning a trade. People are made for each other and belong together. The solitary life of being a alcoholic party animal clubbing is overrated in my view.Read John Clellons "Go" as a example of the crosses of the party lifestyle.Im almost finished with it now.
  • Poet003 Poet003 2012/05/28 02:38:02
    Poet003
    +1
    Whats so great about being a hermit? In fact eastern orthodoxy (though it does have holy hermits) teaches a life lived among the people is better.
  • Queen Katherine 2012/05/28 02:36:07
    Queen Katherine
    +3
    I'm 21 and still live at home.
  • Smilling Eyes 2012/05/28 02:33:55
    Smilling Eyes
    +3
    As long as it's okay with the parents, then why not?
  • harasnicole 2012/05/28 02:33:23 (edited)
    harasnicole
    +3
    As long as you're not mooching off of them and make an effort, it's fine.
  • The Libertarian 2012/05/28 02:32:22
    The Libertarian
    +1
    Regardless of what he squandered, I would never kick my own flesh and blood to the curb.
  • Jake Bl... The Lib... 2012/05/28 03:55:43
    Jake Blanton
    +1
    Sometimes, you have to know when to cut your loses and "break their plate"...
  • Ericka The Lib... 2012/05/28 06:01:57
    Ericka
    In this circumstance, and plenty others I could name, that's called Enabling.
  • The Lib... Ericka 2012/05/28 12:59:03
    The Libertarian
    Unlike most Americans today, I consider family especially a son or daughter more important that pass transgressions, its not enabling, its called love, support and intervention.
  • juicebox07 2012/05/28 02:32:22
    juicebox07
    +5
    I'm 23 and still live with my mom. I pay rent though.
  • Izariel 2012/05/28 02:27:59
    Izariel
    +3
    In the Obama economy it is not only Okay, it is fast becoming the norm.
  • spotter123 2012/05/28 02:25:22
    spotter123
    +1
    In today's economy some men and women have to.
  • xxx 2012/05/28 02:23:13
    xxx
    +1
    As long as you pay your way and your not mooching. Why not? You know how hard it is to get a place these days? Sometimes its just easier and it works out for both.
  • Jake Bl... xxx 2012/05/28 03:56:28
    Jake Blanton
    It's not difficult to get a place, all it takes is money...
  • xxx Jake Bl... 2012/05/28 04:46:27
    xxx
    I don't know how the housing is in the States but you need a bit more then just money here especially if there's more people then housing available. It's a little difficult when you're going up against families and people who have more money but apply for places below their means. If you're alone and applying your best bet is to say you have a partner who is also moving in regardless if you can afford it.
  • Jake Bl... xxx 2012/05/28 09:21:28
    Jake Blanton
    With as much empty land as you have over there, one would think that you could just move a bit out of town and buy you some cheaper land...
  • xxx Jake Bl... 2012/05/29 00:23:02
    xxx
    It aint like that. Especially if you're like me and work in the middle of the City. I can't exactly go get a place 2 hours away even though yes, it is cheaper. There's no work out there either. It may be easier being on Welfare and applying for a place. Most of them get put up in places 10 minutes from the City and have no intrest in even seeking work. And why would you? You'd lose a prime place and all the benifits that come with it.
    Unfortunetly I don't plan on living and starting a family here even though this is probably as good as it gets or at least one of the best places to live.
  • Darth J... xxx 2012/05/28 04:17:40
    Darth Jennocyde
    I agree! The average rent for an apartment is 1100 in NYC. That's a big rent to pay if you live alone! Unless you get roommates that you can trust, then living with family is ok if it's a reasonable situation!
  • xxx Darth J... 2012/05/29 00:23:48
    xxx
    Is that $1100 a month? How many bedrooms would that be and how far out from the City?
  • Jake Bl... xxx 2012/05/29 03:42:25
    Jake Blanton
    I was up in NYC (Manhattan) a couple of years ago working on a contract assignment and at that time, $1100 would probably only get you a single room apartment in not that great of an area and probably not even on Manhattan, or if it was on Manhattan, it would be some rat infested slum. I was paying well over twice that for the place that I was renting and that didn't even include the extra that I would have had to pay for a parking spot at the apartment (around $400 per month, IIRC). I've seen nice 2-bedroom houses rent for $1100 per month in good neighborhoods in large metropolitan areas down South and they even included a decent size yard and a 2-car garage.
  • Darth J... xxx 2012/06/01 08:54:04
    Darth Jennocyde
    All of the five boros of NYC are expensive. That's just an average rent I quoted based on what I've seen so far. Usually one bedroom would be that amount, maybe higher or lower...Even Westchester County is pricey. :(
  • Torchy 2012/05/28 02:16:47 (edited)
    Torchy
    +5
    After about 25 is when it starts to get a bit concerning. Then again, with today's economy...eh, stuff happens.

However, Levi supposedly made a nice million dollars with that stupid book he wrote and other crap and then blew it. Most people won't see that kind of money in their lifetime, let alone when they're only 22 years old. I think in his case he deserves a good mocking for living with his mommy.
  • Ericka Torchy 2012/05/28 06:04:45
    Ericka
    +1
    That's the problem with enabling them like that - they don't learn responsibility or any real perspective. They keep thinking the whole world revolves around them, but when they get out in the real world, people will revile them. This "kid" knocked up Sarah Palin's daughter and not only did he squander the money, he is isn't much of an active father, either. It's long since time he should have grown up.
  • Torchy Ericka 2012/05/28 17:01:50 (edited)
    Torchy
    +1
    The sadder thing is that "kids" like him never will grow up, even long after the support has been cut off. They'll just blame every one else for their own fallacies and barely do what is necessary to get by.

I have grew up in a small town and many of the girls I grew up with and a few of my cousins could be baby momma number 3 of his. I'm shocked that some of the guys haven't embraced Levi as some sort of idol with the crap they pull. I know exactly what you're talking about. I see it every morning on facebook and thank my lucky stars my parents raised me better.
  • Ericka Torchy 2012/06/02 07:06:07
    Ericka
    +1
    I agree with everything you said, and I can relate to the first paragraph. I am the youngest (now 37) of three, and our parents (and grandparents) raised us right, too, so I don't know what happened with my siblings. I think if I can fault my parents for anything, it was enabling them and allowing them to be "entitled." I was the youngest and babied, but I pushed against it whenever possible. I was also sick and almost died as an infant, so my mom was very protective of me the entire rest of her life (she passed away ten years ago). I had to fight to prove I was capable of taking on more, but I'm glad I did. When dad passed away last year, I handled settling his afairs, and he declared I would be the head of the family from now on. I have made it by on my own steam rather than run home for every little problem, but my older siblings cannot - or Will Not - get with the program. As a result, I have a much better life - and lifestyle, and am doing very well, but they are not.

I'm trying to teach my children (and one of my nephews who lives with me) responsibility, manners, honesty, integrity, and humility, the same as I was taught. I think it is paying off pretty well. They are all great kids and don't really get into trouble :) I'm a tough cookie, though, and I don't accept th...

I'm trying to teach my children (and one of my nephews who lives with me) responsibility, manners, honesty, integrity, and humility, the same as I was taught. I think it is paying off pretty well. They are all great kids and don't really get into trouble :) I'm a tough cookie, though, and I don't accept them messing up royally. The real world is not as kind as Mom/Auntie, and if they don't learn now, not only will they have problems later, but other people will really "hate" them."

Levi Johnston's mother isn't doing him any favors, and I certainly speak from experience.
  • Sinister Ken Doll™ 2012/05/28 02:09:13
    Sinister Ken Doll™
    sh*t happens
  • Jake Bl... Siniste... 2012/05/28 03:57:09
    Jake Blanton
    +2
    Especially to irresponsible idiots...
  • Siniste... Jake Bl... 2012/05/28 15:50:15
    Sinister Ken Doll™
    or just to anyone with bad luck :/

2014/09/03 05:30:53