Levi Johnston Is Reportedly Broke and Living With His Mom: Is Living With Your Parents After 18 OK?

The Big Question 2012/05/25 20:42:18

• Dave The Canuck 2012/05/28 02:50:14
    Dave The Canuck
    +6
    At 18, except in rare cases, I think the youth SHOULD still be living at home with their parents. I wouldn't recommend living on one's own until at least 21. At 18, you're still sort of a kid. Too young to move out, in my opinion.

• BloodMist Beat Ma... 2012/05/28 11:44:18
    BloodMist
    Not unique , just misused by a wannabe empire.
  • HiYa 2012/05/28 08:47:48
    HiYa
    +2
    It beats living in the streets.
    +4
    Quite frankly ..
    your basic schooling should be done ..
    you should already have a job .. be paying your own bills ..
    and NOT burdening your parents at that time ..

(and yes, before I was 18 .. I already graduated School, had jobs, paying my own bills and had my own place to live too).
  • Beat Ma... sglmom 2012/05/28 10:34:19
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +4
    Good for you, but your dollar had more power when you stepped out. Unless your first job after high school is full time and pays no less than about $11-12/hr, you won't be able to make it, even in a studio on a modest budget. Groceries, utilities, gas... everything got more expensive over the last decade. Most jobs still only pay $7-$8/hr right after high school, and quite frankly; given the choice between staying with my folks a few more years or living with complete strangers for roommates (the latter mistake I'll never make again), I'll stick with the people I know, and if I'm earning my own way, I'm not a burden.
  • sglmom Beat Ma... 2012/05/28 10:39:30
    +1
    There's still places where the costs are low enough
    so that even with minimum wage .. it IS possible to live on your own ..
    (it all depends on your locale)

IF one is respectful to their parents,
    willing to follow the house rules ..
    pay a bit of a share towards the costs of the household ..
    AND help out with the chores ..
    that is a GOOD THING ..
  • SweetLo... Beat Ma... 2012/05/28 11:14:30
    SweetLoveGifts
    +1
    4 decades ago, I was able to move out & afford my own (tiny) studio apt. at 18 with a minimum wage job. Wages have NOT kept up with inflation. Living with strangers is not fun or always safe. Kids have it very, very tough nowadays.
  • intoler... sglmom 2012/05/28 13:51:15
    intolerantrwj
    +1
    .... agree with 'yer thought Mom, but did you notice they had to travel all the way to Alaska to find a kid livin' with Mom + Dad

........... not one kid between here and there livin' with Mom + Dad ... I don't think so !
  • sglmom intoler... 2012/05/29 02:31:29
    +2
    AH .. but as usual .. they found the "ONE" that was in public eye at one time ..
    there's still children at 18 moving out .. living on their own each and every day ..
    (and being responsible for their bills too)
    it is Difficult .. it was tough back then (of course) ..
    but it CAN BE DONE ..
    What bothers me ..
    are those that HANG ON and do NOT respect the parents, the ones that choose to not WORK at all .. the ones who abuse their elders .. don't pay anything .. and seem to think that everyone else somehow 'owes' them a living ..
    That ATTITUDE problem .. is what needs to be getting a bit of REALITY by the parents packing their things up .. changing the locks and leaving the stuff on the door and letting the adult 'kid' experience LIFE ... (consequences)
  • intoler... sglmom 2012/06/14 15:24:15
    intolerantrwj
    +1
    ....." the ones that choose to not WORK at all "

I have my own little terminology for those types Mom .... I call them ' Wouldworkers ', you know just like woodworkers ....

.............. they ' Would Work ', but they don't fell like it !
  • sglmom intoler... 2012/06/14 17:19:54
    +1
    I AGREE!

Sadly .. I even know someone like this in their ..
    (oh, here it comes indeed)

60+ YEARS of age ..
    who has always been 'bailed' by his Momma ..
    and now that the parents have passed away
    (and I knew his parents too)
    he 'wonders' why no one listens to his 'whine' ..
    'would-work' .. I'd say he never had the will to even come close to 'would' ..
  • intoler... sglmom 2012/06/14 17:30:16
    intolerantrwj
    +1
    .... we come from a little different cloth and a little different ethic than some Mom, but we aren't alone !
  • Pete 2012/05/28 08:17:50
    Pete
    +2
    But he is a big mouth all show and no go!
  • Chris D 2012/05/28 08:17:03
    Chris D
    +1
    although better than doing this:
    levi playgirl
  • BloodMist Chris D 2012/05/28 11:46:38
    BloodMist
    He got paid a fine enough check.
  • Sharon1992 2012/05/28 08:16:16
    Sharon1992
    +1
    Of course it's OK to still be living with your parents at 18, unless circumstances prove otherwise.
  • jackie 2012/05/28 08:09:08 (edited)
    jackie
    I dont even know who Levi Johnston is. its ok to fall back on parents... then get back up on your feet. im 19 yrs old right now and I moved out, but if I have to i'll back in with my dad.

edit- I know who he is now.
  • Tigger Too 2012/05/28 08:08:11
    Tigger Too
    +1
    If someone is still living with their parents after age 18, whether or not it's okay depends on the circumstances. If they're going to college or working until they can save up enough money to move into their own place, then that's fine. Also, if someone over 18 does have a job, then they should pay at least some amount of rent, because they need to learn to budget their paycheck, and also realize that nothing in life comes free. Now if you're like Levi Johnston and have managed to piss away the $1 million you were paid for posing for Playgirl, then your parents need to kick you to the curb. No parent wants to end up with a 30-year-old bum hanging out in their basement, dressed in nothing but their underpants, smoking weed, and playing video games.
  • Beat Ma... Tigger Too 2012/05/28 10:36:03
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    Levi Johnson is exactly what happens when someone moves out too soon.
  • Tigger Too Beat Ma... 2012/05/28 23:08:14
    Tigger Too
    Exactly! And I wonder if the mothers of his two out-of-wedlock kids saw any of that cash Levi got from posing for Playgirl.
  • Simmering Frog 2012/05/28 08:01:43 (edited)
    Simmering Frog
    +1
    Obama administration

Hell, these clowns want him to live with his parents until he is 26. What's up with that?
  • Beat Ma... Simmeri... 2012/05/28 10:36:59
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    I know. Families should be separated from each other.
  • C-ZAR™,... Simmeri... 2012/06/09 07:16:36
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    Not live with, just be able to be carried on Parents insurance
  • AN 2012/05/28 07:48:16
    AN
    it's not ideal, but if u don't have anywhere else to go. it's fine if u just live with them.
  • Heffeweizen 2012/05/28 07:02:58
    Heffeweizen
    Maybe I'm Old-fashioned, but at 18, I was in Basic Training and out on my own and most of my friends were either in College or going the same route I did. Granted, there are circumstances where it's a viable option, but not in most cases. Levi is a special kind of douche canoe who had money and squandered it on everything except taking care of his child. Karma has no mercy.
  • Beat Ma... Heffewe... 2012/05/28 10:38:40
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    Levi is special indeed. I stayed home until 20. I absolutely wanted my independence but I was still smart enough to wait until I knew I could handle it. My first few jobs paid minimum wage. Once I finally made enough, I found some good friends to be roommates and never looked back.

I don't take issue with families staying together as long as everyone pulls weight. In fact, I think it could be a good thing.
  • Pedro Doller ~Inc. 2012/05/28 07:02:45
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    +1
    I thought he was doing porn.
  • Yes
    spidermonkey™POTL~PWCM~JLA☮Paul
    +1
    We don't force our kids to grow up as fast as they did 20+ years ago. Most 18 yr olds are not ready to be on their own. At least not the ones I have seen. Many senior's in high school are 18.
  • Naked 2012/05/28 06:52:40
    Naked
    I don't see anything wrong with someone over 18 living with their parents. What if they are still students and stay local to keep the price of college down? There is nothing wrong with parents supporting their children. What if they financially help their parents? What if the parent is retired and the child is supporting them? There are so many situations in which it is appropriate.
  • geneticmistake 2012/05/28 06:47:19
    geneticmistake
    +2
    Realistically in today's world many, if not most, over 18 year olds will be living with their parents for awhile. Once upon a time college graduates could get a full time job in months. In this economy a year or longer is not uncommon before a career is begun. Most graduates are faced with at least some college loan debt making an apartment expense unfeasible right after graduation. There are few jobs available for high school graduates with no further education that will support totally independent living. For many young adults the choice is parents or roommates. If they get along with their parents and have no friends they could share an apartment with then living with parents makes sense.

There have been articles in various media over the past few years where single young adults and married couples have moved back in with parents due to job losses. In an economy like we have now people have to make the best choice that won't result in suffocating debt.

At least one commenter mentioned "living off one's parents". I don't agree with doing that. All adults living in the house should be contributing financially and / or with the upkeep and running of the household.
  • JERSEYDUDE 2012/05/28 06:41:38
    JERSEYDUDE
    +1
    its a little weird especially when your 30 but its pretty common throughout the rest of the world
  • BloodMist JERSEYDUDE 2012/05/28 11:50:50
    BloodMist
    I the majority of the world elders are respected, not just for being a tool for the military.
  • pammerjammer 2012/05/28 06:28:33
    pammerjammer
    +1
    Take care of your own. Help them as long as they help themselves. It is nice when things start working out for your children.
  • adhikari_2000 2012/05/28 06:17:07 (edited)
    adhikari_2000

Sherry, Levi‘s mother is powerful with her finance without OxyContin show, but her son has debt of years of $38000 scheme of his child support, yet he squandered $ 1million facing financial crisis.
    “A man must swallow a toad every morning to be sure of not meeting with anything more disgusting in the day ahead”[Arthur Schopenhauer quoted in Sunday Times], but again “Money swore an oath that nobody who did not love it should have it” [Irish proverb, quoted in The Times] his mother Sherry Johnston ,Sarah Palin & also Bristol knows it. Relation with Sunny Oglesby gone into as Bristol sees it as “Work is more fun than fun”. [Noel Coward, quoted in The Times]. Levi’s Mother could oyster critical financially deficient funny toad out & will try to make life easy going. As per prosperity with Playgirl boobs is not serious nor with relation with Sunny Oglesby, Paradox is that “Sex is the last refuge of the miserable” [Quentin Crisp quoted in Sunday Times]; But no Human beings are miserable. So “The man who sticks to his plan will become what he used to want to be” [James Richardson, quoted in Washington Post], especially when Levi is in financial problem although not much.Levi's age is not problem in staying with Parents although he is above twenty. God blesses Bristol’s Family & Am...

Bristol palin with trip Bristol s family
    “A man must swallow a toad every morning to be sure of not meeting with anything more disgusting in the day ahead”[Arthur Schopenhauer quoted in Sunday Times], but again “Money swore an oath that nobody who did not love it should have it” [Irish proverb, quoted in The Times] his mother Sherry Johnston ,Sarah Palin & also Bristol knows it. Relation with Sunny Oglesby gone into as Bristol sees it as “Work is more fun than fun”. [Noel Coward, quoted in The Times]. Levi’s Mother could oyster critical financially deficient funny toad out & will try to make life easy going. As per prosperity with Playgirl boobs is not serious nor with relation with Sunny Oglesby, Paradox is that “Sex is the last refuge of the miserable” [Quentin Crisp quoted in Sunday Times]; But no Human beings are miserable. So “The man who sticks to his plan will become what he used to want to be” [James Richardson, quoted in Washington Post], especially when Levi is in financial problem although not much.Levi's age is not problem in staying with Parents although he is above twenty. God blesses Bristol’s Family & America.

Sherry Johnston
  • GUY LAKEMAN 2012/05/28 06:00:53
    GUY LAKEMAN
    to live off parents after 18 is the sign of a complete loser !!!
  • The Inc... GUY LAK... 2012/05/28 07:26:46
    The Incurable Pessimist
    +2
    I think the one showing the most ignorance and incompetence here is you, Mr. Idiot.
    Most cultures require children to live with their parents up till they're married.
  • Wyveryx 2012/05/28 05:51:06
    Wyveryx
    However, at the same time, don't forget the reverse. That's having your parents live with you after you're 18. Kinda switches the tables on house rules.
  • Ericka 2012/05/28 05:48:25
    Ericka
    +2
    IF they're either:

1) going to college
    2) working and contributing (have to learn somehow - the real world is a lot harder) although the IDEAL is still to get their own place, even if it's with roommates. They need to learn autonomy and responsibility.
    3) going to college And working is best yet, because it will toughen them up and teach them accountability and to take care of themselves.

I do not believe in kids living at home til they're 30+. If they do, they never learn those things and won't ever figure out what the real world is like. As a parent, I know I won't always be around to fix things or clean up messes, and I don't think I'd be doing my kids any favors if I let them take the easy road. Once I'm gone, no one will take care of them, and they will need to take care of themselves.

I moved out at 18, supported myself, had a career, then a family, then more career, then went back to college. I never moved back home since, even when things were hardest.

I also have a nephew who just turned 22 living with me for the last year or so. He's a good kid, but we had quite the adjustment period after he moved in. I'm as close as he's going to get to a mom, but he is required to pay his own rent, at least. Half the time he goes out to eat, but there's always food her...
    IF they're either:

1) going to college

I also have a nephew who just turned 22 living with me for the last year or so. He's a good kid, but we had quite the adjustment period after he moved in. I'm as close as he's going to get to a mom, but he is required to pay his own rent, at least. Half the time he goes out to eat, but there's always food here, and he eats what we cook, too. We've been working on him, and he's working on a second promotion at his job now. He now has a car he is paying for, too. Before that, he was barely scraping by living with roommates even though he paid less rent for a lesser living arrangement and had no car. Now he is well on his way to being a MAN, and I couldn't be prouder of him. He's come a LONG way :)
  • Cameryn (◠‿◠✿) 2012/05/28 05:38:24
    Cameryn (◠‿◠✿)
    Many people can't afford to move out as soon as they turn 18.
  • Chaya2010 2012/05/28 05:21:11
    Chaya2010
    +1
    As long as one contributes financially and with house work.
  • mustangluver 2012/05/28 05:20:48
    mustangluver
    +1
    I never could see the problem with someone living with their parents for as long as they need or want to. Who made the rule you had to vacate your home at a certain age? I miss my sons so intensely. Why is it anyone's business if a person likes living in their birth house? Why should ppl be ostracized for it? There are tons of kids going back home as they lost their job and can't maintain a place on their own. This is such a non-issue.

2014/07/22 13:27:58