Lakewood Cake Shop Refuses Wedding Cake To Gay Couple « CBS Denver: Should companies be free refuse service to gays?

Daryl 2012/07/30 22:24:26

DENVER.CBSLOCAL.COM reports:
Chick-fil-A's president spoke out against gay marriage last week, sparking a huge uproar in the gay community and now the issue is spilling over to a Colorado bakery. CBSDenver.com

bakery cbsdenver news colorado denver cbs4 sports weather traffic spots

Read More: http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/07/28/lakewood-cak...

• Daryl 2012/07/30 22:25:08 (edited)
    Daryl
    +18
    This is why the homo-activists (as opposed to homosexuals) want marriage licenses...to sue individuals who are exercising their religious liberty.

Remember these are the same people that have 'anti-bullying' campaigns in which they bully anyone that does not agree with them.

Thug tactics are common among the radical wing of the left.

• TombstoneJim 2012/12/06 22:22:05
    TombstoneJim
    +1
    or unhappy people, or anyone without shirt or shoes....
  • Transquesta 2012/12/06 22:22:01
    Transquesta
    +1
    Is it a private establishment with private owners? If the answer is yes, then they have every right to refuse service to whomever they please.

. . .Eh, just as you have every right not to shop there.
  • Navin Johnson (The Jerk) 2012/12/06 22:01:43 (edited)
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    +1
    they make cakes for them on other occasions...birthdays and what not,so they AREN'T refusing service to them,they are just refusing to make them a wedding cake and that's their choice. did anyone even bother reading the article? i don't think a business should be forced to do something if they don't believe in it.
  • John Walker II 2012/08/08 21:07:19
    John Walker II
    +1
    As much as it pains me to say, business have a right to do business as they please (within legal limits). If that means they lose out on income for some misplaced ideals.... it's not my place to tell them to knock it off.

I just won't shop there. As easily as they can turn down money, I can just as easily not offer it to them.
  • Atlas 2012/08/08 17:52:56
    Atlas
    +1
    If said company wished to limit it's profitability and scourn their PR with a large consumer market by all means if that is their prerogative they are more than free under the law to do so.

I'm sure there are twelve dozen other bakeries (in any given area) that would be more than happy to oblige and craft a super marvelous wedding cake without having any reservations about the matter.
  • Peggy 2012/08/03 23:23:10
    Peggy
    +1
    If it is a privately owned business you have the right to refuse service to anyone.
  • 'Zedd 2012/08/02 09:34:31
  • Dzeeng 2012/08/02 08:51:34
    Dzeeng
    +1
    it's wrong
    but it's private busines
  • Angryface01 2012/08/02 00:51:00
    Angryface01
    ...otherwise we wouldn't be free to boycott their stores for personal reasons. Folks, why does anyone care? Seriously. Against gays, for gays, gay yourself. If you are gay and you go to a shop who refuses to do business with you, isn't that THEIR bad and not yours? If you're against gays and you opened up shop and refuse to do business with gay people, do you really care if they tell a bunch of people? As for me, I don't eat at Chic-fil-A anymore. Yeah, it's because of his stand on the side of hatred. But, he can go on verbally bashing gays all he likes. Gay people have been persecuted (ironically, much like the Christians and Jewish) long enough that a sandwich shop shouldn't dim their spirits. If you're really religious and your religion is against gays, then you already believe you're right and righteous... isn't that really the end of the story for you? If you're gay, do you really care to DO business with people who hate you for something so stupid? It seems like the sides are fairly neatly divided to avoid each other at all costs... seems a simple solution.
    +2
    Seems silly to turn away business, but they have the right to do so.
    If you own your own company you have the right to refuse service to anyone you please.
  • Nilam 2012/07/31 21:22:44
    Nilam
    companies have the right to refuse service to anyone.
  • Dickens 2012/07/31 21:18:53
    Dickens
    ..it's called "equality"...
  • Brandon 2012/07/31 16:32:09
    Brandon
    They should not be alowed to refuse services, but they should be allowed to refuse to support them. And Chick-fil-A said they would still serve them.
  • Bingo's Faddah 2012/07/31 16:28:44
    Bingo's Faddah
    +1
    To me, it's as if they had a WHITE ONLY sign posted. Close 'em down and take their stuff.
  • Navin J... Bingo's... 2012/12/06 22:03:41
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    they just don't want to make wedding cakes for gays,they aren't refusing service to them for other things.
  • Thank you but no... 2012/07/31 15:16:03
    Thank you but no...
    +1
    Any business is free to deny anyone service without giving a reason.

However, if they publicly state that the reason is because they discriminate against gay couples, then they are free to pay the fines they will be liable for...
  • Bronar 2012/07/31 14:54:14
    Bronar
    A private business can do whatever the hell they please. Sounds dumb though.
  • kraftymomma1979 2012/07/31 14:46:57
    kraftymomma1979
    +3
    For the love of Pete! Ideally, a store owner should be allowed to refuse to do some things, like the bakery that refused to put a swastka on a cake for someone. It it's just a basic wedding cake, get over it.
  • William Weber 2012/07/31 13:48:14
    William Weber
    The bible says nothing about refusing service to homosexuals, just that it's not right to be one. So this isn't covered by Freedom of Religion.
  • Outta' Here. 2012/07/31 13:29:04
    Outta' Here.
    I've seen the reverse on more than one occasion.
  • Jeff Smith 2012/07/31 12:49:55
    Jeff Smith
    +2
    As a small business owner I reserve the right to refuse my services to anyone for any reason. Don't like it too bad go suck an egg.
  • Bingo's... Jeff Smith 2012/07/31 16:31:16
    Bingo's Faddah
    You may think you have that right, but you don't. We checked and can't find it anywhere.

checked
  • Koma Bingo's... 2012/07/31 17:27:57
    Koma
    It's as elusive as your brain.
  • Bingo's... Koma 2012/08/01 14:45:21
    Bingo's Faddah
    Right. You can't find it either. Looks like you're in with your government in ignoring your Constitution. That's legal, for now.

government ignoring constitution legal
  • Peggy Bingo's... 2012/08/03 23:45:26
    Peggy
    All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.
    And 42USC12182 protects those with disabilities:
    quote:
    No individual shall be discriminated against on the basis of disability in the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation by any person who owns, leases (or leases to), or operates a place of public accommodation.
    Age and sex are not protected from discrimination in public accomodation under federal law to the best of my knowledge.
    DOES NOT INCLUDE SEX, SEXUAL PREFERENCE OR AGE!!!!!!
  • Bingo's... Peggy 2012/08/04 12:27:57
    Bingo's Faddah
    Made ya look!

ya

And you looked in the wrong place. It varies by state.
  • metalmania17 2012/07/31 11:55:41
    metalmania17
    And anyone else they want...
  • bosshog 2012/07/31 08:36:15
    bosshog
    I think that if you own a business you should have the right to refuse service to anyone, the government should stay out of it. But by doing this you could loose a lot of business and income which is not very smart when your in business to make money and you have employees to be concerned about.
    But again as a person you have your own opnion, Chic-Fl-A president spoke out on how he felt but he didn't refuse to sell them chicken, it was only the way he thinks not the business.
  • Bingo's... bosshog 2012/07/31 16:34:57
    Bingo's Faddah
    That's a great point about Chic Fil A, but we can't find anything in your laws that states a business can refuse anyone for any reason.
  • Loop 2012/07/31 08:13:49
    Loop
    +1
    As though merely creating a cake is encouraging this 'mortal sin'? I'm christian, and the fact is this: religious liberty is having the right to practice what your religion says, refusing a cake to a customer, that's just unprofessional. It's a business, not a home, therefore you cannot discriminate against anyone who hasn't done you harm.
  • name865... Loop 2012/07/31 11:55:43
    name865name
    +3
    Really? Don't discriminate against the movie shooter because he did YOU no harm? I don't care if folk want to be homosexual...but...it is physically an unhealthy lifestyle. Why promote it if you believe marriage is between one man and one woman.
  • Loop name865... 2012/07/31 15:26:22
    Loop
    +1
    The movie shooter went against the law, that's very different. But once he's done his sentence, and is let free, no, you can't discriminate against him.
    But what makes you say that it's an unhealthy lifestyle? Aids, for instance, is actually more common amongst heterosexuals, and no one says being straight is unhealthy! Marriage, I think, is between two loving individuals, and gender, personally I don't think it matters. Even as a christian, and here's something else shocking: I don't think it's even a sin.
  • Koma Loop 2012/07/31 17:32:39
    Koma
    You've got a lot to learn if you don't think it's sin while professing to be a Christian.
  • Loop Koma 2012/08/01 07:24:35
    Loop
    Well first of all, I'm straight. So I don't do it, but nevertheless, it's not a sin. And you know what, I still think any sex outside of marriage is a sin. There isn't a real biblical basis to state it's a sin, and plenty scientific basis to state genes play a large role in determining your orientation (and there is no real scientific or biblical conflict, nor has there ever been). That pretty much sums up my position.
  • peaches Loop 2012/08/01 01:17:34
    peaches
    +2
    Ignore the people who try to put you down by saying that you aren't a real Christian by believing that. (Like keith down there...) I 100% agree, I was born and raised Christian and I'm bisexual. I get crap about it a lot on here, but I'm just here to say that there are others who agree with you! Most Christians I know actually support it though and don't find it to be a sin. It's just the extremists that come to light on this website... Have a nice day! (:
  • Loop peaches 2012/08/01 07:25:39
    Loop
    +1
    Thank you very much :) hope the same goes for you, but if it's any consolation, there's two massive groups where there are loads of people on here just like you.
  • peaches Loop 2012/08/01 16:47:43
    peaches
    Yup! (:
  • Loop peaches 2012/08/01 17:05:07
    Loop
    +1
    GSA, LGBT group. If you're bothered, why not join? :D
  • peaches Loop 2012/08/01 17:06:49
    peaches
    +1
    I might do that (: I like meeting people with similarities!

2014/10/24 20:40:31