Knoxville, Tennessee Math Teacher Suzy Bass Fakes Breast Cancer. Upset?

socallocal 2008/10/17 00:38:03
Suzy Bass was aware of her mental instability at the time she was commiting this evil act
Suzy Bass is mentally ill and couldn't help what she had done
I think.....
Suzy Bass was a High School math teacher in Knoxville, Tennessee when she began faking her bout with breast cancer. Students and faculty alike rushed to her aid supporting her with gifts, donations and waiting on her hand and foot. Bass had even tricked her father, taking him to fake consultations in the hospital where, behind closed doors, she would spend time with a friend of hers who was actually diagnosed with cancer. Returning to class each day with fake signs of radiation treatment such as spots and burns, and even going so far as to shave her head with a razor blade to fake hair loss due to chemotherapy, Bass went to extensive lengths to conceal her secret. She would show up to school functions with complaints of sever fatigue and pain and eventually left school, telling faculty and students that she was well on her way to death and that her final wish was to be cremated and have her ashes spread throughout the Cayman Islands.

School president Scott Hutchinson began receiving phone calls from friends of Bass who had no clue as to her supposedly fatal bout with breast cancer. After speaking with a physician provided by Suzy that didn't really exist, Hutchinson contacted Bass over the phone and fired her. Students and faculty were appalled and outraged when they heard the news. After being exposed, Suzy bass removed her facebook page, changed her phone number, and disappeared. After leaving Knoxville, she then checked herself into an Alabama psychiatric ward and was diagnosed with bipolar, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorders. She now lives in the basement apartment unit of her aunt and uncle who take care of her and make sure she takes medication on a daily basis. When talked to on the phone, Suzy Bass simply stated "In my mind, I didn't lie to anybody. I know that's not what the people in these three communities believe, but in my world there was no doubt that I had cancer and was dying". Bass went on to state that she had faked many occurrences in her lifetime but failed to realize she was faking cancer till she was sitting in Scott Hutchinson's office after everything was over. How do you feel?

• seiko 2008/10/27 15:05:14
    I think.....
    seiko
    Wow i cant belive that someone would be so sick to do something so bad. As a current stage IIIA Breast cancer patient i am disgusted by what she has done. Throught everything that i have had to go through the past 7 months of proving my illness. I dont feel sorry for her. Even though you should just someone but she did it 3 times not just once but three. Wow i really cant belive that someone would be sooo mean
  • Margo 2008/10/20 23:35:04
    Margo
    +1
    For decades, physicians have known about so-called factitious disorder, better known in its severe form as Munchausen syndrome (Feldman & Ford, 1995). Here, people willfully fake or produce illness to command attention, obtain lenience, act out anger, or control others. Though feeling well, they may bound into hospitals, crying out or clutching their chests with dramatic flair. Once admitted, they send the staff on one medical goose chase after another. If suspicions are raised or the ruse is uncovered, they quickly move on to a new hospital, town, state, or in the worst cases — country. Like traveling performers, they simply play their role again. I coined the terms "virtual factitious disorder" (Feldman, Bibby, & Crites, 1998) and "Munchausen".
  • muddobber 2008/10/18 02:31:04
  • Frank 2008/10/17 17:59:08
    Frank
    I have a son who has Schizophrenia, and I know that dillusions are real to the person suffering from a mental illness. I facilitate a group at a mental facility for families of those who have a mental illness. Mental illness is a real illness and those who have Sz. Bi-polar, and other illness should be felt sorry for because it is a terrible illness still not accepted by all people, sad to say. Feel compasion and pray for that person.
  • Cindy 2008/10/17 00:48:39
  • no Kidding 2008/10/17 00:44:08
    Suzy Bass was aware of her mental instability at the time she was commiting t...
    no Kidding
    Playing on a communities emotions for free stuff is disgusting.
  • I think.....
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +1
    It's not for me to judge. It's too close to call.
  • SparkleyPie 2008/10/17 00:42:03
    I think.....
    SparkleyPie
    Mental illness or not, liars annoy the hell out of me. I have no tolerance for liars.
  • Punk 2008/10/17 00:40:06
    I think.....
    Punk
    +1
    What a whack job!

2014/08/20 16:45:30