Kate Middleton and Prince William to Marry in 3 Weeks: Should the Royal Bride Be a Virgin?

Back in 1981, it seemed like a very big deal that Princess Diana was a virgin when she married Prince Charles. And we all know how well that marriage turned out.

Thirty years later, the soon-to-be-married Kate Middleton and Prince William have been living together on and off for quite a while. And it doesn't take a genius to figure out they've probably already consummated their relationship.

So, does anyone care?

The answer is, not really. Experts tell The Associated Press that the House of Windsor is relieved to finally be in line with the times.

"There is no rule that the royal bride has to be a virgin, and there never has been," said Noel Cox, a law professor and royal scholar at Aberystwyth University in Wales. "Obviously it would present difficulties if the heir chose someone who was notoriously promiscuous -- that would be unpopular — but they could do that if they wanted to."

But back when Diana announced her engagement, her late uncle, Lord Fermoy, publicly pronounced that she was a "bona fide" virgin.

Ew -- would you want your uncle commenting on your sex life?

But there's also the issue of age. Diana was 19 when she got engaged and 20 on her wedding day -- Middleton is 29 and William is 28.

Moreover, Diana may have been a virgin, but Charles had already been in an on-again, off-again romantic relationship with the decidedly non-virginal Camilla Shand -- the woman he ultimately cheated with and married.

Double standard much?

Read More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110408/ap_on_en_ot/eu...

• ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2011/04/08 17:12:59
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +13
    The concept of "virginity" is a myth. Having sex does not change a person. Sex is not a big deal... really, it isn't.

Personally, I think any man wanting to marry only a virgin is probably a creepy, perverted pedophile.

• TJ Collins 2011/12/25 08:35:52
    TJ Collins
    My question is still unanswered. Was there a time when you had to be medically checked for your virginity to marry a king or future king? If so when was this? Was it true of all royals? And when did it end ?
    If I knew then what I know now.....I would have waited for marriage....Whats the rush? 40 years of sex later.....BORED
  • CAMILO CAMILO 2011/04/22 21:22:10
    CAMILO CAMILO
    Well, since the Queen insists on sticking to all customs and traditions, yes, traditionally the princess needs to be a virgin. Now, traditionally if the woman has been previously soiled by manhood, be it the man she is marring or another man, she can not wear the white dress and the member of the pristhood executing the ordinance of marriage should refuse to perform that ordinance.
  • bashfulsleepy 2011/04/15 05:12:58
    bashfulsleepy
    Only if the royal groom is a virgin.
  • Pam 2011/04/15 04:09:02
    Pam
    No, and how on earth would Diana's uncle know that she was a "bona fide" virgin?
  • cents-less 2011/04/15 02:51:26
    cents-less
    Besides the prince who else should have an opinion that matters?
  • xxxx_XX 2011/04/13 07:57:19
    xxxx_XX
    You know she's not.
  • ♥Hannah♥~GSA 2011/04/10 23:22:49 (edited)
    ♥Hannah♥~GSA
    +1
    Who cares? Besides, Prince William is fo shiz banging her.

And also, I know some people will say "well shes famous so she might as well get used to it" but I don't think she would like people talking about her virginity online.
  • ♥ Sky ♥ 2011/04/10 12:26:00
    ♥ Sky ♥
    +1
    Honostly why should she be a virgin honostly virgin kate middleton
  • xxxx_XX ♥ Sky ♥ 2011/04/13 07:58:05
    xxxx_XX
    Guilty as charged. See the rosy cheeks?
  • michelle 2011/04/10 12:01:53
    michelle
    doesnt matter
  • unreligious 2011/04/10 11:40:54
    unreligious
    I would question Noel Cox statement. It seems to me that in the past they used to parade the stained bed-sheets around the day after the wedding. The double standard of the women must be a virgin and men were excused has long been a part of male dominated societies. Not justifying it just saying thats the way it's been.
  • MichaelRigby 2011/04/10 11:23:21
    MichaelRigby
    Whats a virgin? Are they from Virginia?
  • Curious George 2011/04/10 10:19:47
    Curious George
    +1
    please, this is a stupid question
  • tewaz1 2011/04/10 09:30:23
    tewaz1
    +1
    How is what other people do in their bedroom anybody else's business? Christ, and people accuse us gays of shoving our sexuality in other people's faces, straight people seem to not only do that, but they shove OTHER heterosexuals' sexuality in people's faces as well!
  • Edible_toad 2011/04/10 08:58:52
    Edible_toad
    A virgin at what may I ask?
    Sky-diving?
    Being a princess?
    Driving a car?

The idea of having to not have had sex before you get married seems rather silly.
  • JO 2011/04/10 08:00:47
    JO
    Really this is none of our business. really ;-)

JO
  • Chicklet 2011/04/10 06:55:11 (edited)
    Chicklet
    +6
    She offered her honor. He honored her offer.

All night long it was honor and offer.

offered honor honored offer honor offer laughing gif
  • wamcalif 2011/04/10 06:46:52
    wamcalif
    +2
    Yes! There should also be a royal verifier. As there is a royal taste tester (make sure the food is not poison), the royal verifier gets to hump Kate before the prince does on the wedding night. This is to verify her purity. I've already volunteered for the job.
  • True Genius 2011/04/10 06:06:45
    True Genius
    No, but you should ask Prince William what he thinks.
  • strawberry 2011/04/10 05:38:26
    strawberry
    If the Royal Family want to stay Royal then they should only marry Royals. Let's face it the British Royal Family are running out of options; being a virgin is not as important as only marrying other Royals. Actually Kate Middleton is old for marrying into the Royal Family at 29.
  • guitarplayer2571 2011/04/10 04:44:54
    guitarplayer2571
    no because she would have to most likey be 12 years old to be a virgin and that's illegal and a bit disturbing!
  • Wise Soul 2011/04/10 04:19:30
    Wise Soul
    +4
    She should in fact have no vagina.
  • tewaz1 Wise Soul 2011/04/10 09:32:39
  • kaZappoo 2011/04/10 03:57:51
    kaZappoo
    +1
    wanna make sure the boat floats before ya buy it right ?

good example ................

live together for 1 yr & 1 day then if ya can stand the other then go for it ..
    doesnt always hold water though . my present wife & I only lived together for 7 mos then married . been almost 14 yrs now .. longest one yet .. 3 rd time .. 3rd time's a charm ///// learned how to compromise ..
  • strawberry kaZappoo 2011/04/10 05:22:38
    strawberry
    At 29 Kate Middleton has been around. At 29 she is too old to marry into the Royal Family, and should at least be of Royal blood herself.
  • American strawberry 2011/12/07 05:35:17
    American
    +1
    Stop hateing old woman! Just bc she isnt royal doesnt mean she shouldnt marry into the royal family, people like you are the reason the world is like it is today! ughh i can't stand people like you!
  • AmethystRose 2011/04/10 03:49:32
    AmethystRose
    I don't care and it isn't any of my business.
  • star 2011/04/10 02:37:55
    star
    +2
    Who gives a rats__________________
  • Astoria Malfoy♥ Bass Redfer... 2011/04/10 02:10:25
    Astoria Malfoy♥ Bass Redfern ~*In Harry Potter I Trust
    +1
    People this days either wait.. or they don't. Mostly they don't.
    I do think sex is a big deal. When it comes down to whom you are having sex with, it should always matter. But the whole virginity thing is not really relevant anymore.
    My younger brother dates a lot, and he talks a lot. And he is had about 5 girl friends this year alone. His sex life is sure better than mine.
  • strawberry Astoria... 2011/04/10 05:26:50
    strawberry
    Virginity is not that important but if the Royal Family consider themselves Royal then they should only marry other Royals. Kate Middleton at 29 is old to marry into the Royal Family.
  • Astoria... strawberry 2011/04/10 05:31:27
    +2
    I really don't care a darn if they are royals. And if they are letting William Marry Kate, then it's their business. I live in the USA , I don't see how that should be of my concern or my business at all.
  • strawberry Astoria... 2011/04/10 05:43:42
    strawberry
    Both American and British media push that wedding so much. If Americans want to watch it on tv fine, but it seems Queen Elizabeth actually believes the whole world should be so excited. The Royal Family should throw a free celebration for the British people, at all British pubs.
  • Astoria... strawberry 2011/04/10 05:50:30
    I haven't follow the news on the wedding. I find it irrelevant. I did watch a bit of the last wedding in Spain I think it was.. with the Prince Felipe and Letizia Ortiz, that was news and exciting because she was a commoner. But William is being with Kate for years on and off, so I don't really care about it.
  • Brosia 2011/04/10 01:23:20
    Brosia
    +2
    I have never seen the point in the theory that the man gets to screw whomever they want, so that they know what they are doing, but the woman cannot know the touch of another because she has to be pure...such bullshit!

If they had sex, good for them! If not, why should I care?
  • strawberry Brosia 2011/04/10 05:37:36
    strawberry
    At 29 Kate Middleton has been around the block, long before she met William. If the Royal Family want to stay of Royal blood then it should be required of them to only marry into other Royalty. Being Royal has given the Royal Family special priviledges. Now they want it both ways. They change their rules do as they please, and not much for England. At one time English Kings and Queens ruled their empires, served a purpose. Kate is also too old to marry into British Royalty at 29 years old.
  • Brosia strawberry 2011/04/11 00:49:38
    Brosia
    Why is she too old?
  • strawberry Brosia 2011/04/12 01:03:49
    strawberry
    It will be more difficult for her to have children or heirs in her thirties, though today many women do. To be marrying into the Royal Family 29 seems a little over the hill.
  • Brosia strawberry 2011/04/12 01:54:54
    Brosia
    She still has 25 years on average to produce heirs. Hell, she only needs one. I think it is great that William is getting with a relatively normal girl of his choosing.
  • strawberry Brosia 2011/04/12 03:53:12
    strawberry
    The future will tell.
  • Rocky 2011/04/10 01:22:41
    Rocky
    +1
    You're kidding...RIGHT! I'd be surprised if the Prince and King Pro-Tem hasn't already tried out Her Highness, the Princess of purity. Yeah Right! Give us a break!

2014/07/23 07:54:12