Judge Blocks Execution of Cat Ordered in Will: Approve or Disapprove?

Fef 2012/04/13 04:22:50
Georgia Lee Dvorak loved animals. She left her $1.3 million estate to animal charities. She also loved her cat so much that she wanted her cat 'put down' (euthanized) instead of going to a potentially abusive home. But a judge blocked Boot's execution when Ms. Dvorak died.

“She was so afraid that if something happened to her that the cat would not be taken care of and she’d go to another abusive home,” said Sandra Butursis, the neighbor.You've heard curiosity killed the cat. In this case, curiosity actually saved one. Chicago News, Sports, Weather, Traffic, and the Best of Chicago - CBS 2 TV | WBBM Newsradio 780 | 670 The Score

traffic chicago cbs 2 tv wbbm newsradio 780 670 score

Read More: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/04/11/curiosity-s...

• Nina 2012/04/15 04:49:15
    Kill the Cat
    Nina
    +1
    The judge had NO RIGHT to do what he did! I am an advocate for animals and am commited to their well being. These were her wishes in her Will period!
  • Nina Nina 2012/04/15 04:58:14
    Nina
    Trust me the judge cared not about the cat, it really had nothing to do with that. There were ulterior motives involved here and poor kitty was just a pawn here, if you all would just use your heads just for a minute instead of your hearts, you would see the picture a bit clearer.
  • Linkums 2012/04/13 23:04:40
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    Linkums
    Good question.
  • Zolfie™ 2012/04/13 22:56:43
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    Zolfie™
    +1
    The lady should of been able to find a loving home for her cat... I mean she trust 1.3 million to animal charities but she doesn't trust her cat with those charities?

Now I'm wondering what charities were looking enough to get that money, and weather they're good charities or rip off charities...
  • Little Miss Monster 2012/04/13 20:02:59
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    Little Miss Monster
    +1
    Although I'm strongly against abusive homes for animals, not every person who adopts or takes in an animal is going to abuse it. This lady, although her heart was in the right place, simply had no way of knowing just what kind of treatment her beloved cat would receive after her death but that doesn't mean that the cat will be abused. The cat deserves to live. I could see if it was suffering in old age with a lot of pain but simply because the lady wanted her precious kitty to die out of protection isn't a good enough reason to end the its life. I'm sure the cat will find a loving home.
  • The Winter Sodahead 2012/04/13 15:50:29
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    The Winter Sodahead
    +2
    Don't kill a poor, innocent kitty!
  • Classical Liberal 2012/04/13 15:30:56
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    Classical Liberal
    +2
    All life is precious, even that of a cat.
  • Michael 2012/04/13 15:15:47
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    Michael
    Pharaohs, chiefs and kings of old used to be buried with all their wives, slaves, animals, etc.We have come far since then I hope. I wonder if you ordered your house burned to the ground if that would be ok? Destruction, of anything, unless it is a hopelessly suffering cat, I think is taboo.
  • Tresa 2012/04/13 14:55:20
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    Tresa
    +2
    Guess the old bat couldn't see that putting down a perfectly healthy cat is in itself potentially abusive.
  • Einstein's Firecracker 2012/04/13 14:54:06
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    Einstein's Firecracker
    +1
    The old lady will never know and the cat may go to a good home. She should have set up a godparent clause in her will, so the cat would go to someone whom she trusted and agreed to owner ship upon her death. My dog goes to my brother if something should happen to me.
  • Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦ 2012/04/13 13:26:44
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    +2
    Good intentions, wrong solution. Find the cat a new, loving home. Set up a trust fund for vet bills, food, toys. Stipulate that the new owner must take good emotional, psychological, and physical care of that cat.
  • Kashee 2012/04/13 12:52:54
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    Kashee
    +2
    Her wishes were quite disturbing. Did she think she was the only human on the planet who could love this cat?
    Life's unpredictable. We should never assume that we are the only one who could take care of our human and animal companions.
  • Seonag 2012/04/13 12:44:21
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    Seonag
    +1
    It's a shame she felt unable to make provisions for her cat before her death. My husband and I have actually made provisions for the 'care and custody' of our cat should something happen to us before she passes over the Rainbow Bridge. It's in our Will and the caregiver has a notarized document authorizing her to take custody of the cat (that's her picture as a kitten) should something happen to both of us.
  • DS in Oak Ridge NC 2012/04/13 12:05:12
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    DS in Oak Ridge NC
    +1
    The judge should order one of the animal charity beneficiaries to find a good, non-abusive home for Boots and follow the spirit - if not the letter - of the lady's wishes.
  • Jian Qi 2012/04/13 10:09:29
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    Jian Qi
    Sorry but this isn't ancient Egypt, its a cat if is old it will calmly die own quickly, if not i hope it finds a wonderful family
  • Dagon 2012/04/13 07:44:27
  • ExfleetSailorRet2006 2012/04/13 06:42:44
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    ExfleetSailorRet2006
    +2
    I understand her concern and really don't like having to disagree, but I do. Having left 1.3 for animal charities, she could have made provisions for her beloved cat to ensure happy Golden Years.

We adopted Kitty Kash, a companion to a best friend who died two weeks after being diagnosed with cancer. KK has since died and we miss her, but we tried to make the few additional years among the best years of her life.

kitty

Sleeping
    sleeping
  • Melizmatic Exfleet... 2012/04/13 16:03:10
  • Gregaj7 2012/04/13 06:36:58
    Kill the Cat
    +2
    This can set a very dangerous legal precedent on "Last Will And Testaments".
  • Nina Gregaj7 2012/04/15 04:51:09
    Nina
    +1
    Exactly!!! and this is why this judge should be called on this one!!!
  • antiregressivism 2012/04/13 06:22:59
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    antiregressivism
    +2
    The bitch is dead and the cat isn't; who cares what she has to say?
  • Nina antireg... 2012/04/15 04:52:25
    Nina
    +1
    Well when a judge rules against your wishes on your last will and testament no matter what your wishes be, just remember this one.
  • antireg... Nina 2012/04/15 05:10:14
    antiregressivism
    See how much I'll care when I'm dead.
  • Nina antireg... 2012/04/23 01:04:49
    Nina
    Of course, I wouldnt expect YOU to say anything different.
  • Stryder 2012/04/13 06:14:53
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    Stryder
    +2
    There are plenty of good homes out there. If she trusts the animal charities enough to leave them a million dollars she should trust them enough to find it a good home.
  • Catnip "Guru" ∞ 2012/04/13 05:58:07
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    Catnip "Guru" ∞
    +1
    Really? Did this woman think that no one would adopt her cat?
  • User Deactivated 2012/04/13 05:55:11 (edited)
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    User Deactivated
    +1
    Odd I picked Kill the cat but it chose differently for me.

As far as I know a will is to be obeyed in almost any case. People can euthanize their pets while living for almost any reason, and though I don't really agree with it, even considering the fact I dislike cats very much, it was in her will, not illegal, and should be honored. We shouldn't get to pick and choose stuff like this no matter how little we may like it.
  • Exfleet... User De... 2012/04/13 06:45:55
    ExfleetSailorRet2006
    +2
    Well, I understand your argument on principle and it has merit. I just gotta go with my gut instead of my head on this one.
  • User De... Exfleet... 2012/04/13 06:55:27
    User Deactivated
    +1
    Agree to disagree =) This made me think of my best childhood friend Dudley. He was always so loving and awesome towards me and my family despite the fact my dad found him on the side of the road beat to within an inch of his life. He was skiddish around us at first, understandably, but once he realized we were loving, he warmed right up. He waited for me and my brothers every school day at the bus stop for us to get home, and went crazy whenever our family left for even the shortest period of time. This woman obviously loves animals and would never do anything to intentionally harm one, and I can completely understand why she would want that done. Even though it'd break my heart to have put our doggie down(he died of old age so it wasn't necessary) I'd much rather peacefully euthanize him than chance him going back to such horrid conditions where he may die a horrible death.
  • Exfleet... User De... 2012/04/13 07:29:18
    ExfleetSailorRet2006
    +1
    Ditto, though I think with more emphasis on the former. In the situation you describe regarding Dudley, wihout question I would agree if there were no other choice.

I've told many of my friends as I get older I find I have greater compassion for members of the animal kingdom with whom we share our planet. This is especially true of domestic breeds who have become more companions than pets. One cat we euthanized was described as irredeemably feral. As we were waiting for the test results to come back, "Affectionate Grumpy" purred, rubbed himself against my legs, and came from across the treatment room when I "tongue clicked". I had to believe he knew after all the hard times, he as (once again?) with people finally looking out for him.

Putting him down, and I stayed with the cat I'd known only for a couple of hours, was harder than I would have ever expected. We had him cremated, requested the ashes be returned, and stored in a simple, but nice, container.

...I have gotten soft (or gone soft in the head) in my old age. :-)
  • goatman112003 2012/04/13 05:36:33
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    goatman112003
    +1
    Let the cat live and I bet one of the charities will take care of it til its life ends naturally.
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    +1
    Sounds weird.
  • chaoskitty123 2012/04/13 05:08:05
    Disobey the lady's dying wishes
    chaoskitty123
    +2
    Y'know, if this woman wanted her children to be put down to ensure they wouldn't go to an abusive home... we might put this into perspective as the lady was nuts. Like any other fanatic, she want's to kill someone or something to keep them from being abused without considering they might go to a loving home or even leave the money to a vet or shelter under the condition they take care of her pet.

How many times have we heard of parents killing their kids to "protect" them? It happens all the time and people like this are the ones who do it.
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/04/13 05:03:18
    Kill the Cat
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +1
    The only good cat is a dead cat I've always said. And I always told them that too. Not that I meant it.

This is from a man who has had the privilege of having 10-12 cats in our domicile over 38 years. We've had cats before we had kids. We had to put two down that were over 20 years old. I've had to take days off from work because of losing these sweet-spirited companions to death.

My wife and I will see ALL of our pets again when we cross that great divide as well.

They are at a place called the Rainbow Bridge, awaiting our arrival, and will greet us warmly as we greet them too.

Would I kill the cat? Doubtful. But love for pets transcends our time here in this plane.
  • bricklyn CUDDLY ... 2012/04/13 05:09:35
    bricklyn
    What a disgusting attitude. Cats are beautiful animals an very loving pets.
  • CUDDLY ... bricklyn 2012/04/13 05:13:36
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +2
    Did you read what I wrote?
  • User De... CUDDLY ... 2012/04/13 05:52:27
    User Deactivated
    +1
    You expect people here on sodahead to actually read all the way through, without getting their panties in a twist because of the first sentence or so? Good luck with that XD
  • CUDDLY ... User De... 2012/04/13 06:08:54
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +1
    Yes. An excellent point. Thanks! :)
  • bricklyn User De... 2012/04/14 06:53:09
    bricklyn
    Sorry to inform you, but I read the entire post. I simply cannot even understand why anyone would made such a disgusting statment.
  • bricklyn CUDDLY ... 2012/04/14 06:52:10
    bricklyn
    Yes I did read what you wrote. But I cannot even fathom why anyone would actually say anything disgusting like that.

2014/09/17 07:41:59