Journalist Suggests Pedophilia Relationships Don't Necessarily Cause Harm: Agree?

Fef 2013/01/10 02:46:16
Journalist Jon Henley of The Guardian in the United Kingdom wrote an article that drew the attention of media around the world. Rush Limbaugh, the most listened to talk radio host in America, criticized the article and the mainstream British newspaper for publishing the article. The article drew everyone's attention because of the author and psychology professor's apparent tolerance of pedophilia.

Mr. Henley also writes: A liberal professor of psychology who studied in the late 1970s will see things very differently from someone working in child protection, or with convicted sex offenders. There is, astonishingly, not even a full academic consensus on whether consensual paedophilic relations necessarily cause harm.
Mr. Henley quotes Tom O'Carroll, the former chairman of Paedophile Information Exchange (PIE: "It is the quality of the relationship that matters," O'Carroll insists. "If there's no bullying, no coercion, no abuse of power, if the child enters into the relationship voluntarily … the evidence shows there need be no harm."
Mr. Henley refers to pedophiles as gentle and refers to a 1987 Dutch study that suggest a "sample of boys in pedophilic relationships felt positively about them."

GUARDIAN.CO.UK reports:
The Savile scandal caused public revulsion, but experts disagree about what causes paedophilia - and even how much harm it causes, hears Jon Henley

caused public revulsion experts disagree paedophilia harm hears jon henley

Read More: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jan/03/paed...

• jessiesgirl4463 2013/01/10 03:32:55
    Disagree
    jessiesgirl4463
    +11
    From a victims point of view it causes harm that takes decades to overcome...shame, low self esteem, guilt (thinking you somehow brought it on yourself because you are too young to understand you are a victim not a participant) to name just a few. Anyone that thinks it causes no harm has obviously never been around a child who has endured this abuse or sees only what they want to see to rationalize abusing...

• Ethan Owens 2014/08/19 05:46:33 (edited)
    Agree
    Ethan Owens
    scientifically most of the harm a victim suffers from childhood sexual abuse comes from the societal stigma surrounding the act and not the abuse itself.
  • Alice Evie 2013/01/26 10:47:15
    Disagree
    Alice Evie
    +1
    what. an. idiot.....
    OF COURSE IT CAUSES HARM!
    god, some people are useless and annoyng....
    these children are scared for life!
    emotional problems is only one of the things they develop..
  • Alice Evie Alice Evie 2013/01/26 10:47:49
    Alice Evie
    +1
    poor things..
  • hash67 2013/01/23 18:09:18
    Agree
    hash67
    +1
    depends on the circumstances of course.
  • jtmekjian 2013/01/14 15:46:57
    Agree
    jtmekjian
    +1
    Why should any consensual relationship be necessarily harmful? Who's to say there is not a minor somewhere in the world who is precocious enough to enter into an adult relationship. Perhaps someone should actually post a copy of the research or investigate its scientific rigor before trashing it because it offends you.
  • Zepland 2013/01/13 22:46:12
    Disagree
    Zepland
    +4
    Perverts keep trying to push open the doors of pedophilia acceptance through desensitization. They think by talking about it it becomes less shocking. And over time can be normalized into the daily conversation. They hope eventually society may see it as gross but within the realm of acceptance.
    FORGET IT!!!!!
    This is sick, demonic, criminal behavior. And the perpetrators should be hauled into an ally and have the s#it beat out of them.
  • Haruko.... Zepland 2013/01/15 09:19:29
    Haruko.Haruhara
    The fault of gays.
  • Chamberlain 2013/01/13 21:29:03
    Disagree
    Chamberlain
    +3
    I know for a fact it causes harm.
  • Miss Kris the Centrist 2013/01/13 20:18:12 (edited)
    Disagree
    Miss Kris the Centrist
    +1
    Wut.

It might not necessarily cause harm, but I have never seen any good come out of it either. Teens or younger need to be with their own kind until they gain the functions necessary to deal with an adult romantic relationship. There have been scientific studies to show the development of the brain, and how it is practically wired to lack common sense in its early development. There is no way they can fully consent to a an adult relationship until they've gained the cognitive ability to understand all implications. Obviously we can't make it perfect, but the current laws of age of consent are about the best we can do about it, I think.
    Disagree
    +2
    Of course it is harmful. I know of two people myself who are homosexuals because of forced homosexuality as kids!
  • Marek 2013/01/13 19:50:46
    Disagree
    Marek
    +3
    Now that homosexuals almost convinced the public that sodomy is an acceptable behavior they are going to be telling us pedophilia is ok and when that goes their way there will be some promoting bestiality. What the hell is wrong with the Dutch?
  • wtw Marek 2013/01/13 20:08:43
    +2
    This is exactly where the conservatives have said for years it would go!
  • Zepland Marek 2013/01/13 22:49:00
    Zepland
    +1
    Desensitization and acceptance is their angle, you are right.
    This is sick and demonic and I will personally stop it how ever need be.
  • mrdog 2013/01/13 19:37:20
    Disagree
    mrdog
    +1
    Studies...can reveal what the individual making the study wants tit o support...nuts..bark
  • Tropiceagle33 2013/01/13 18:39:07
    Agree
    Tropiceagle33
    DISAGREE
  • gkirmani 2013/01/13 18:36:16
    Disagree
    gkirmani
    +4
    Just a sick and silly observation.....may be this journalist is paid by some criminal...........or may be this man has lost his logic faculty of brain..............just plain and simple wrong and misleading observation
  • White Horses 2013/01/13 08:34:34 (edited)
  • ellie. 2013/01/11 22:20:59
    Disagree
    ellie.
    *tisk* *tisk* Oklahoma, shame
  • wow-really 2013/01/11 19:36:10
    Disagree
    wow-really
    +4
    Talk about agenda.
    God have mercy.

WTF facepalms
  • Michael 2013/01/11 15:02:04
    Disagree
    Michael
    +2
    Since when does minor have the "age of consent" to make any decisions holding them responsible? We don't let them marry, enter contracts, be accountable for crimes committed, etc etc etc. If a minor has sex with a person of age, over 18, it is considered "Rape" by the older one and prosecutble!
  • jimrthy... Michael 2013/01/11 22:04:55
    jimrthy BN-0
    Well, that sort of depends.

Depending on where you live, it's legal for kids younger than 18 to get married.
  • White H... Michael 2013/01/13 04:59:40 (edited)
  • Just me ♥ 2013/01/11 07:22:10
    Disagree
    Just me ♥
    +4
    I completely disagree.
  • Ol'Dave 2013/01/10 23:40:35
    Disagree
    Ol'Dave
    They, at the very least, cause PHYCOLOGICAL HARM!! They teach the victim (kid) that THEIR HAPPINESS DOESN'T COUNT, THEY EXIST TO PLEASE ANOTHER PERSON SEXUALLY!! And that doesn't even touch on the SEXUAL CONFUSION it causes!!!!
  • deidara.trueart 2013/01/10 23:03:22
  • Robbb 2013/01/10 22:45:17
    Agree
    Robbb
    +3
    It never did me any harm. It is interesting to note that very little information of a non emotional nature is available on the subject. Largely I suspect because the subject has become the victim of hysteria and any one interested in doing any sort of dispassionate study of the subject, would take his or her life and career lightly if they were to come up with a conclusion that was other then the present hysteria puts out. I mean If one was to listen to current discussion on this subject there is only one sort of sexual contact between children and adults and that is one of violence and pain. which is ridiculous. Journalist Jon Henley of The Guardian is a brave man for even broaching the subject.
  • White H... Robbb 2013/01/12 17:23:04
  • Robbb White H... 2013/01/12 19:51:26
    Robbb
    Thank you but you had better be careful about what you say else you will end up being vilified by the lynch mob that seems to be so prevalent before the sanity of the few begins to make itself felt.
  • MorbidC... Robbb 2013/01/13 18:53:38
    MorbidCynic
    It's normal to be disgusted and angry at these things, and just because you don't feel that way doesn't make it ok.
  • Robbb MorbidC... 2013/01/13 19:28:57
    Robbb
    +1
    Did I say that I disagreed with You? However As I stated earlier knowledge and understanding the circumstances surrounding these things would be far more productive then the hysterical ignorant mindless hate that is being generated by the media at present. Which things in particular are you talking about? As I mentioned I have experienced sex play with adults on several occasions with both males and females. And only have pleasant memories from it. That does npt mean however that I am not aware of some of the terrible abuse and rape of children taking place all around us. I was merely commenting on the fact that this subject so charged with mindless hysteria that there is just no constructive literature available on it. Your reaction is typical of the reaction I am talking about. If there is a problem then to bring the problem under control you need to understand first of all the harm that is done and the scope and variety of the situation. That is just never going to happen in this situation because the problem has been handed to a lynch mob. You speak to me as though I am a villain for having experienced this as a child and then having the nerve to comment on my experience in a positive manner. I am not a survivor of child abuse anymore then I am a survivor of tree climbin...
    Did I say that I disagreed with You? However As I stated earlier knowledge and understanding the circumstances surrounding these things would be far more productive then the hysterical ignorant mindless hate that is being generated by the media at present. Which things in particular are you talking about? As I mentioned I have experienced sex play with adults on several occasions with both males and females. And only have pleasant memories from it. That does npt mean however that I am not aware of some of the terrible abuse and rape of children taking place all around us. I was merely commenting on the fact that this subject so charged with mindless hysteria that there is just no constructive literature available on it. Your reaction is typical of the reaction I am talking about. If there is a problem then to bring the problem under control you need to understand first of all the harm that is done and the scope and variety of the situation. That is just never going to happen in this situation because the problem has been handed to a lynch mob. You speak to me as though I am a villain for having experienced this as a child and then having the nerve to comment on my experience in a positive manner. I am not a survivor of child abuse anymore then I am a survivor of tree climbing. I mean there are some pretty twisted people around that are considered normal. take those that make a profit out of male genital mutilation (circumcision). A terrible damaging and traumatic experience for an infant that can have lasting psychological effects not to mention the physical effects but that is just fine. Compare that to just touching a Childs genitals and give me a comment on that. I know which I would have preferred. I thank my lucky stars I was the son of people that did not believe in mutilating their Childs genitals. Yet it is a billion dollar business in the USA. why is that. love of the child or just media fed ignorance?
  • MorbidC... White H... 2013/01/13 18:52:27
    MorbidCynic
    You shouldn't kiss peoples asses.
  • MorbidC... Robbb 2013/01/13 18:52:06
    MorbidCynic
    +2
    A child and an adult can't have a romantic relationship, it just isn't possible.
  • Robbb MorbidC... 2013/01/13 19:35:50
    Robbb
    +1
    I Personally cant see that a child an an adult can have a romantic relationship. At least I never had any romantic relationships with anyone when I was a child.. However we are not talking about romantic relationships here. The comment was can a sexual contact or relationship be a positive experience. Besides there is no way of knowing what you say is true as there is absolutely no way of anyone that has had a positive relationship ever commenting on this publicly, they would be lynched. So the whole subject which is wide spread stays veiled in an aura of fear and ignorance.
  • Zepland Robbb 2013/01/13 23:01:08
    Zepland
    +1
    Nobody is afraid of the perverted pedophile or ignorant of his sickness. It's completely clear.
  • Robbb Zepland 2013/01/14 07:57:33
    Robbb
    +2
    No in fact a lot of people are, else there would not be the reaction there is, The point I was making was that the situation will become worse rather then better under the present way of dealing with the situation. You for example have not mentioned anything so far that indicates that you know what you are talking about at all.
  • Zepland Robbb 2013/01/14 16:22:40
    Zepland
    +1
    Really.
    How am I afraid of a pedophile? Because they are a danger to society?
    I don't fear them for what they want to do. They are weak , sick cowards who can't handle an adult relationship because of their inferiority complexes. So they prey on the trusting children. The innocent ones, simple of mind.
    No, I'm not going to create a "pedophile dialog" to aid perverts in their
    efforts to normalize it.
    Pedophilia is sick, wrong and bad.
    Find somebody else to dance with you on this subject.
    I'm out!
  • Robbb Zepland 2013/01/14 19:32:12
    Robbb
    Thank you I was hoping this would not turn into another mindless argument. It is like talking to people that are convinced there is a god. I understand you are out though because you lack any grounding or interest in the welfare of children and young adults.
  • Zepland Robbb 2013/01/13 22:58:57
    Zepland
    +1
    Brave?!!!
    Give me a break! You may say you were not harmed. I think you choose to make it acceptable so you can live with your abuse.
    This is sick to even act like it should be " discused."
  • Robbb Zepland 2013/01/14 07:56:07
    Robbb
    You think I chose to make what acceptable? You don’t have a clue what I think is acceptable. I have no trouble living with my past at all, I cant imagine why I should have. However if something or someone is sick then it should be discussed and sorted out otherwise the problem wont go away. and yes there are people out there that have definite problems. There are thousands of children out there that are sex slaves and are being severely abused. As well as women. You say these things are too sick to be discussed? Perhaps you are a symptom of a system that leads to child abuse and murder.
  • firelooker 2013/01/10 20:56:23
    Disagree
    firelooker
    +4
    How can a child consent? Sick bastards get theirs in prison that's why pedophiles are segregated in prison.

2014/10/02 02:32:38