Joan Rivers Chains Herself to Costco Shopping Cart: Publicity Stunt or Has She Gone Mad?

mrosen814 2012/08/08 19:00:00
This past Tuesday in Burbank, California, 79-year old Joan Rivers chained herself to a Costco shopping cart, before leaving when police arrived at the scene, according to the L.A. Times.

Rivers said that Costco refused to sell her new book, "I Hate Everyone ... Starting with Me," which has made the New York Times bestseller list. According to Burbank spokesman Drew Sugars, Joan Rivers was still talking about her book while she was chained to the shopping cart. Do you think it's a publicity stunt or has the Hollywood personality gone bonkers?

LATIMESBLOGS.LATIMES.COM reports:
Joan Rivers chained herself to a shopping cart at a Burbank Costco store Tuesday in an apparent publicity stunt before leaving after police arrived at the scene, a city spokesman said.
tuesday apparent publicity stunt leaving police arrived scene city spokesman

Read More: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/08/joan...

• gunner bleep 2012/08/09 13:58:23
    gunner
    She was quite a hit to an older generation. So, in her day, she had a following. Just like Elvis in my day. I didn`t care for her. She was on par with Barbara Walters, or Diane Sawyer. Boring at best, to me. My parents liked her. May be that her humor was over my head. So many things are.
  • Phil 2012/08/09 04:02:18
    Gone Mad
    Phil
    +2
    Have you seen that hideous Plastic Surgery she had done? She went mad years ago.
  • Rock 2012/08/09 03:19:17
    Gone Mad
    Rock
    +1
    She lost it 20 years ago when Johnny Carson turned over the show to Leno.
  • rubixx cube 2012/08/09 03:09:47
    Both
    rubixx cube
    +1
    isnt she like almost 80 now?
  • biggerman 2012/08/09 03:06:57
    Gone Mad
    biggerman
    +1
    Joan Who?
  • terrabytes 2012/08/09 02:57:28
    Both
    terrabytes
    +2
    She is a character.
  • us 2012/08/09 02:14:15
    Both
    us
    +2
    It is sad this what Joan rivers has to do to get reconize, It sad, but she is part of hollywood.
  • Milady us 2012/08/09 11:49:30
    Milady
    +1
    Nobody recognises her any more because of all the plastic surgery she's had. She looks like somebody else these days! :0)
  • MO.gal 2012/08/09 01:55:26
    Both
    MO.gal
    +2
    Poor Joan, gone around the bend for sure. IMHO
  • FairLady 2012/08/09 01:41:38
    Publicity Stunt
    FairLady
    +1
    It was kind of stupid. She wanted to promote her book and get people's attention. I am not sure if it was the best way to do it. LOL
  • Freeranger 2012/08/09 01:38:54
    Publicity Stunt
    Freeranger
    +1
    I'd rather a fire truck. They're called out frequently.

You get it.
  • Jon Peter 2012/08/09 01:21:42
    Publicity Stunt
    Jon Peter
    +1
    Maybe some late onset dementia.
  • JohnT 2012/08/09 01:17:37
    Publicity Stunt
    JohnT
    +1
    She is a slick lady and knows how to stay in the lime light.
  • blackrings70 2012/08/09 01:14:36
    Both
    blackrings70
    +1
    Saw part of it on the news. She was blasting through there with a blow horn too.
  • Me 2012/08/09 00:57:58
    Both
    Me
    +1
    shes freaking annoying
  • gunner 2012/08/09 00:46:37
    Both
    gunner
    +1
    She`s had so many face-lifts, It`s finally pulled her face so tight around her head and squeezed her brain down into her shoes. Bats in her belfry, crazier than a bed-bug.......help me out here.
  • Milady gunner 2012/08/09 11:51:26
  • gunner Milady 2012/08/09 13:49:27 (edited)
    gunner
    It`s great , thanks . LOL
  • KoAm 2012/08/09 00:38:37
    Publicity Stunt
    KoAm
    +1
    Look at all the free pub she's getting right now because of it. This was intentional, and it seems to be working.
  • dandieselonian 2012/08/09 00:10:38
    Both
    dandieselonian
    +1
    If she dies no need to inbalm her she has been preserved beyound whats usual and customary .
  • Freedom 2012/08/08 23:50:58
    Publicity Stunt
    Freedom
    Just a stunt...
  • intolerantrwj 2012/08/08 23:49:42
    Both
    intolerantrwj
    ..... OMG, the National Coalition to Prevent Shopping Cart Abuse and The Coalition to Provide Help to Battered Carts will be protesting and having a ' Kiss-In ' to prevent further incidents and promote awareness of this type of tragedy.

...... Costco will have Counselors available according to Mothers Against Kidnapped Karts !

............................. Film at 11
  • HiYa 2012/08/08 23:34:23
    Publicity Stunt
    HiYa
    +1
    I am actually reading this book. I am a big Joan Rivers fan.

I always have been, and I can tell you she is NOTHING if not driven. Sure, shes a money hungry, hag (and she will be the first to tell you that) but you don't get as successful as she has by being misguided or nuts. This is calculated, and the book is great for laughs.

Hat's off to MY GIRL Ms. Rivers. Joan Rivers flipping the bird
  • Milady HiYa 2012/08/09 11:55:30
    Milady
    What an ugly, ugly photo.
  • SA 2012/08/08 23:08:16
    Both
    SA
    Although I think she lost her sanity years ago, I think it was both.
  • El Prez 2012/08/08 23:03:48
    Publicity Stunt
    El Prez
    +2
    She is not only extremely funny but knows how to play the game as well as anyone. When she saw the opening she just went for it. I mean come on, can you see this "queen" of a comedian chaining herself to anything but a diamond, unless it was for publicity.
  • HiYa El Prez 2012/08/08 23:35:56
    HiYa
    Agreed! High Five gif
  • Firefly 2012/08/08 23:00:06
    Both
    Firefly
    bag of nuts

LOL !

That woman is one big bag of mixed nuts ;0 )
  • ChiTownGirl 2012/08/08 22:53:32
    Publicity Stunt
    ChiTownGirl
    +1
    She's far from mad, to me this definitely was a publicity stunt. She's pi$$ed Costco won't carry her book, but by doing this many people are now aware she even has a book out and might buy it. I haven't read it, but it contains a few dirty jokes or something. Big deal. Do they sell 50 Shades of Grey there? They should be selling her book, it's on the NYT Bestseller list. This is still America right? But, Costco has the last word. It's their store.
  • HiYa ChiTown... 2012/08/08 23:37:03
    HiYa
    +1
    Your right! And the book is hilarious. High Five gif
  • ChiTown... HiYa 2012/08/08 23:46:05
    ChiTownGirl
    +1
    Is it? I'm always up for a hilarious book. I like Joan Rivers, I find her funny and I could care less about her plastic surgeries. I think she looks beautiful for her age. Thanks!!
  • HiYa ChiTown... 2012/08/08 23:54:59
    HiYa
    +1
    I love a good book. It's funny, but you can't take her too seriously. I appreciate your point about 50 Shades of Grey. I imagine that is gutter garbage. No offense if you've read it. Have you, and would you share your thoughts?
  • ChiTown... HiYa 2012/08/09 00:04:08
    ChiTownGirl
    +1
    I haven't it read it completely (it's a trilogy I believe), but if I'm interested in a book I'll go to Amazon and they allow you to read the beginning of the book and I did. It did make me want to continue somewhat, just to see how things turn out and it would be interesting to see this author's take on bondage. So, I can't specifically comment quite yet, lol...I also read the reviews of people that actually have read it. They're funny. Here's my favorite one:

Did a Teenager Write This?? I really don't like writing bad reviews. I admire people who have the courage to put pen to paper and expose themselves to the whole world, especially those writing erotica. Having just finished this book, however, I feel compelled to write a review.

About half way through the book, I looked up the author to see if she was a teenager. I really did because the characters are out of a 16 year old's fantasy. The main male character is a billionaire (not a millionaire but a billionaire) who speaks fluent French, is basically a concert level pianist, is a fully trained pilot, is athletic, drop dead gorgeous, tall, built perfectly with an enormous penis, and the best lover on the planet. In addition, he's not only self made but is using his money to combat world hunger. Oh yeah, and all of this a...

About half way through the book, I looked up the author to see if she was a teenager. I really did because the characters are out of a 16 year old's fantasy. The main male character is a billionaire (not a millionaire but a billionaire) who speaks fluent French, is basically a concert level pianist, is a fully trained pilot, is athletic, drop dead gorgeous, tall, built perfectly with an enormous penis, and the best lover on the planet. In addition, he's not only self made but is using his money to combat world hunger. Oh yeah, and all of this at the ripe old age of 26! And on top of that, he's never working. Every second is spent having sex or texting and emailing the female character. His billions seem to have just come about by magic. It seriously feels like 2 teenage girls got together and decided to create their "dream man" and came up with Christian Grey.

Then come the sex scenes. The first one is tolerable but as she goes on, they become so unbelievable that it becomes more laughable than erotic. She orgasms at the drop of a hat. He says her name and she orgasms. He simply touches her and she orgasms. It seems that she's climaxing on every page.

Then there's the writing. If you take out the parts where the female character is blushing or chewing her lips, the book will be down to about 50 pages. Almost on every single page, there is a whole section devoted to her blushing, chewing her lips or wondering "Jeez" about something or another. Then there's the use of "shades of". He's "fifty shades of @#$%% up," "she turned 7 shades of crimson," "he's ten shades of x,y, and z." Seriously?

The writing is just not up to par, the characters are unbelievable, and the sex verges on the comical. I don't know what happens in the remaining books and I do not intend to read them to find out. But given the maturity level of the first book, I imagine that they get married, have 2 perfect children, cure world hunger, and live happily ever after while riding into the sunset, as the female character climaxes on her horse causing her to chew her bottom lip and blush fifty shades of crimson. Jeez!

I hope this helped ;)
  • HiYa ChiTown... 2012/08/09 00:11:39
    HiYa
    +1
    That review is hysterical!

The entire concept of the book seemed laughable, and a bit overdone. An older married man seduces a young innocent virgin? There are billions of stories like that. I couldn't understand how this re-telling of a classic tale would be so noteworthy. Thanks for this confirmation.

Happy reading and enjoy what's left of the summer :-)
  • ChiTown... HiYa 2012/08/09 00:39:21
    ChiTownGirl
    +1
    Glad you liked the review as much as i did...thanks and happy reading to you also. And, I will be enjoying my summer. Living in Chicago, I'm enjoying the heat right now knowing what's ahead...
  • Marianne™ 2012/08/08 22:35:11 (edited)
  • ↓←↑♣→NVL←♣↑→↓ 2012/08/08 22:29:39
    Both
    ↓←↑♣→NVL←♣↑→↓
    +1
    That is best marketing idea ever! She will get more publicity for her book! She sold even more books doing this! And I like the idea why, it was violating the first amendment an the choice wether to buy or not buy

Why first amendment? They didn't want to sell her book because of a word on the back of the book
  • the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA 2012/08/08 22:22:18
    Both
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    Been Bonkers & her daughter for over 25 years or more
  • American Girl 2012/08/08 22:11:42 (edited)
    Publicity Stunt
    American Girl
    +1
    I love Joan Rivers, she outspoken and truthful. joan rivers
  • EDWARD G 2012/08/08 22:09:38
    Both
    EDWARD G
    She should be chained to a couple of them and then we could play demolition derby on the parking lot. A fitting end for a perfectly useless nuisance

2014/07/22 18:52:13