Jesus Loves? - If Jesus loves why did he say "I will kill her children. Then all the churches will know that I am the one who searches hearts and minds." in Revelation 2:23. Is Jesus really a child killer?

~Here Comes The Sun~ 2013/11/22 12:32:14

• Dickens 2013/11/22 13:49:48
    Dickens
    +6
    ..I don't put much stock in bible quotes; the bible was written by people who hear voices...(known as schizophrenics...)

• Adam 2013/11/22 19:47:10
  • XXMr.Scare99XX 2013/11/22 18:01:09
    XXMr.Scare99XX
    Its pretty sad that people actually take a symbolic book of the Bible so literally.
  • Lightho... XXMr.Sc... 2013/11/23 00:04:42
    Lighthouse_Keeper
    Amen, Brother
  • CKarliner 2013/11/22 15:52:23
    CKarliner
    cool exegesis, put it in context.
  • bricklyn CKarliner 2013/11/23 18:04:07
    bricklyn
    There are hundreds of scriptures in context that command the slaughter of innocent children and the unborn as well as genocide by your god. The fact that you accept that and being that kind of evil and heinous behavior into your own life and worship at the feet of an evil terrorist is reprehensible.
  • CKarliner bricklyn 2013/11/24 02:54:05 (edited)
    CKarliner
    so you started this to have an argument or a debate and are you trying to propagate your religion of atheism or what?
    I'm fine thank you JESUS IS ALIVE Blessed be HE!
    Have fun worshiping all you ever known and put the universe and life in a little box...I'll pray every day for you to see His love, feeel it and know He who is the great I AM!
  • evangelism_vision 2013/11/22 15:28:46 (edited)
    evangelism_vision
    +3
    Common Error from Atheist is to pick and choose verses that make it appear that God is something that he's not.

The word of God shows the stupidity of man and his attempts to mock God and abuse his word to their own foolish shame

They fell to show the rest of the verses thinking that lazy people won't bother to look

NICE TRY BUT NO CIGAR

HERE'S THE WHOLE CHAPTER AND SO IF YOU ACTUALLY READ IT YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHY THE STATEMENT WAS MADE

KING JAMES VERSION

1 Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;

2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:

3 And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.

4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.

5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.

7 He th...

NICE TRY BUT NO CIGAR

KING JAMES VERSION

7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

8 And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;

9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

12 And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;

13 I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.

14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate.

16 Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;

19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.

20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.

23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

24 But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.

25 But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.

26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.

28 And I will give him the morning star.

29 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

FOR THOSE THAT ARE LAZY I KNOW YOU WON'T READ THE FOLLOWING BUT I WILL POST IT ANYWAY

(COMMENTARY OF VERSES 18-29)

The form of each epistle is very much the same; and in this, as the rest, we have to consider the inscription, contents, and conclusion.

I. The inscription, telling us, 1. To whom it is directed: To the angel of the church of Thyatira, a city of the proconsular Asia, bordering upon Mysia on the north and Lydia on the south, a town of trade, whence came the woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, who, being at Philippi in Macedonia, probably about the business of her calling, heard Paul preach there, and God opened her heart, that she attended to the things that were spoken, and believed, and was baptized, and entertained Paul and Silas there. Whether it was by her means that the gospel was brought into her own city, Thyatira, is not certain; but that it was there, and successful to the forming of a gospel church, this epistle assures us.

2. By whom it was sent: by the Son of God, who is here described as having eyes like a flame of fire, and feet like as fine brass. His general title is here, the Son of God, that is, the eternal and only-begotten Son of God, which denotes that he has the same nature with the Father, but with a distinct and subordinate manner of subsistence. The description we have here of him is in two characters:—(1.) That his eyes are like a flame of fire, signifying his piercing, penetrating, perfect knowledge, a thorough insight into all persons and all things, one who searches the hearts and tries the reins of the children of men (Rev. 2:23), and will make all the churches to know he does so. (2.) That his feet are like fine brass, that the outgoings of his providence are steady, awful, and all pure and holy. As he judges with perfect wisdom, so he acts with perfect strength and steadiness.

II. The contents or subject-matter of this epistle, which, as the rest, includes,

1. The honourable character and commendation Christ gives of this church, ministry, and people; and this given by one who was no stranger to them, but well acquainted with them and with the principles from which they acted. Now in this church Christ makes honourable mention,

(1.) Of their charity, either more general, a disposition to do good to all men, or more special, to the household of faith: there is no religion where there is no charity.

(2.) Their service, their ministration; this respects chiefly the officers of the church, who had laboured in the word and doctrine.

(3.) Their faith, which was the grace that actuated all the rest, both their charity and their service.

(4.) Their patience; for those that are most charitable to others, most diligent in their places, and most faithful, must yet expect to meet with that which will exercise their patience.

(5.) Their growing fruitfulness: their last works were better than the first. This is an excellent character; when others had left their first love, and lost their first zeal, these were growing wiser and better. It should be the ambition and earnest desire of all Christians that their last works may be their best works, that they may be better and better every day, and best at last.

2. A faithful reproof for what was amiss. This is not so directly charged upon the church itself as upon some wicked seducers who were among them; the church’s fault was that she connived too much at them.

(1.) These wicked seducers were compared to Jezebel, and called by her name. Jezebel was a persecutor of the prophets of the Lord, and a great patroness of idolaters and false prophets. The sin of these seducers was that they attempted to draw the servants of God into fornication, and to offer sacrifices to idols; they called themselves prophets, and so would claim a superior authority and regard to the ministers of the church. Two things aggravated the sin of these seducers, who, being one in their spirit and design, are spoken of as one person:—[1.] They made use of the name of God to oppose the truth of his doctrine and worship; this very much aggravated their sin. [2.] They abused the patience of God to harden themselves in their wickedness. God gave them space for repentance, but they repented not. Observe, First, Repentance is necessary to prevent a sinner’s ruin. Secondly, Repentance requires time, a course of time, and time convenient; it is a great work, and a work of time. Thirdly, Where God gives space for repentance, he expects fruits meet for repentance. Fourthly, Where the space for repentance is lost, the sinner perishes with a double destruction.

(2.) Now why should the wickedness of this Jezebel be charged upon the church of Thyatira? Because that church suffered her to seduce the people of that city. But how could the church help it? They had not, as a church, civil power to banish or imprison her; but they had ministerial power to censure and to excommunicate her: and it is probable that neglecting to use the power they had made them sharers in her sin.

3. The punishment of this seducer, this Jezebel, Rev. 2:22, 23, in which is couched a prediction of the fall of Babylon.

(1.) I will cast her into a bed, into a bed of pain, not of pleasure, into a bed of flames; and those who have sinned with her shall suffer with her; but this may yet be prevented by their repentance.

(2.) I will kill her children with death; that is, the second death, which does the work effectually, and leaves no hope of future life, no resurrection for those that are killed by the second death, but only to shame and everlasting contempt.

4. The design of Christ in the destruction of these wicked seducers, and this was the instruction of others, especially of his churches: All the churches shall know that I am he that searcheth the reins and the hearts; and I will give to every one of you according to your works. God is known by the judgments that he executes; and, by this revenge taken upon seducers, he would make known,

(1.) His infallible knowledge of the hearts of men, of their principles, designs, frame, and temper, their formality, their indifference, their secret inclinations to symbolize with idolaters.

(2.) His impartial justice, in giving every one according to his work, that the name of Christians should be no protection, their churches should be no sanctuaries for sin and sinners.

5. The encouragement given to those who keep themselves pure and undefiled: But to you I say, and unto the rest, etc., Rev. 2:24. Observe, (1.) What these seducers called their doctrines—depths, profound mysteries, amusing the people, and endeavouring to persuade them that they had a deeper insight into religion than their own ministers had attained to. (2.) What Christ called them—depths of Satan, Satanical delusions and devices, diabolical mysteries; for there is a mystery of iniquity, as well and the great mystery of godliness. It is a dangerous thing to despise the mystery of God, and it is as dangerous to receive the mysteries of Satan. (3.) How tender Christ is of his faithful servants: “I will lay upon you no other burden; but that which you have already hold fast till I come, Rev. 2:24, 25. I will not overburden your faith with any new mysteries, nor your consciences with any new laws. I only require your attention to what you have received. Hold that fast till I come, and I desire no more.” Christ is coming to put an end to all the temptations of his people; and, if they hold fast faith and a good conscience till he come, all the difficulty and danger will be over.

III. We now come to the conclusion of this message, Rev. 2:26-29. Here we have, 1. The promise of an ample reward to the persevering victorious believer, in two parts:—

(1.) Very great power and dominion over the rest of the world: Power over the nations, which may refer either to the time when the empire should turn Christian, and the world be under the government of the Christian emperor, as in Constantine’s time; or to the other world, when believers shall sit down with Christ on his throne of judgment, and join with him in trying, and condemning, and consigning over to punishment the enemies of Christ and the church. The upright shall have dominion in the morning.

(2.) Knowledge and wisdom, suitable to such power and dominion: I will give him the morning-star. Christ is the morning-star. He brings day with him into the soul, the light of grace and of glory; and he will give his people that perfection of light and wisdom which is requisite to the state of dignity and dominion that they shall have in the morning of the resurrection. 2. This epistle ends with the usual demand of attention: He that hath an ear let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. In the foregoing epistles, this demand of attention comes before the concluding promise; but in this, and all that follow, it comes after, and tells us that we should all attend to the promises as well as to the precepts that Christ delivers to the churches.
  • ~Here C... evangel... 2013/11/22 16:11:20
    ~Here Comes The Sun~
    +1
    Nope, I have read the bible and what I said is not wrong.
  • evangel... ~Here C... 2013/11/22 17:16:09
    evangelism_vision
    +1
    I disagree with you and we agree to disagree
  • MorbidC... ~Here C... 2013/11/22 17:32:57
    MorbidCynic
    +1
    So what? Even demons know the bible.
  • bricklyn MorbidC... 2013/11/23 18:05:15
    bricklyn
    The Christian god created demons and evil. That is why they exist.
  • MorbidC... bricklyn 2013/11/23 18:25:58 (edited)
    MorbidCynic
    +1
    The fallen angels chose to rebel against God and cast aside their virtues so the fault is theirs and theirs alone.
  • Clay Slayer 2013/11/22 15:25:55
    Clay Slayer
    +2
    Just more stories and sayings man made up.. the writers of these stories never met this Jesus.. WHY! because there is no evidence outside of the bible that this Jesus ever existed..Ever notice tht every time Jesus says something in the bible is starts with And Jesus Said,, Or Jesus said, or He said.. Written in the 2nd and 3rd person.. Never a direct quote out of the mouth of this Jesus..
  • Ray Clay Sl... 2013/11/22 16:56:18
  • Clay Sl... Ray 2013/11/22 17:06:49 (edited)
    Clay Slayer
    +1
    Prove me wrong...you cant......This Jesus never wrote or said a thing in the bible. It is Man saying he said it. Hearsay..it wouldn't stand up in a court...LMAO.. when something is repeated by someone else it is in the 2nd or 3 party.depending on whether the are the 1st or second to repeat it.... go back to school

Plus it is hard for someone that never existed in the first place to have said anything..
  • Ray Clay Sl... 2013/11/23 11:48:57
  • bricklyn Ray 2013/11/23 18:09:36
    bricklyn
    WRONG. There was not one historian that wrong about Jesus during his life time. In fact not until over 30 years AFTER his death.

There are no Roman records of his life or death either.
    There was no census at the time of his so called birth either.
    There was no town of Nazareth either.
    The virgin birth is a MIS-TRANSLATION as well.
  • Ray bricklyn 2013/11/24 00:09:17
  • bricklyn Ray 2013/11/23 18:06:56
    bricklyn
    Shotgun is absolutely correct. There is absolutely no evidence or proof on this planet of the existence of the Christian god or Jesus either. None of the statement surrounding the birth of Jesus in the bible are true either.
  • Nassim Coffeehouse 2013/11/22 14:44:02
    Nassim Coffeehouse
    +1
    I don´t know what he said and if he killed children. You have to ask the Curch
  • Old Guy 2013/11/22 14:34:27
  • Chrissi 2013/11/22 14:28:06
    Chrissi
    +1
    I like Dickens answer.
  • ~Here C... Chrissi 2013/11/22 15:30:05
    ~Here Comes The Sun~
    Me too!
  • irish 2013/11/22 14:22:42
    irish
    +2
    myths don't kill. myth believers do.
  • Ray irish 2013/11/22 16:57:42
  • Jerry 2013/11/22 14:19:42
    Jerry
    +1
    No, because he didn't come back.
  • Clay Sl... Jerry 2013/11/22 15:26:56
    Clay Slayer
    +3
    Yep he missed that bus over 2400 years ago...LOL
  • Jerry Clay Sl... 2013/11/22 16:23:30
    Jerry
    But 2400?
    I thought it is almost 2 thousand.
    It doesn't matter, because our lives are too short for such a delay.
    It became myth.
  • Clay Sl... Jerry 2013/11/22 16:30:44
    Clay Slayer
    +2
    Well the bible was supposed to be about the life of this Christ.. he lived until ? Who Knows.. but according to the bible he was in his 30s , and the bible wasn't written until 90 to 300 years after his death... Then he was deified in 325 by a vote... so the actual length of time is around 1800 and 2000 years taking in account when the bible was written...Jesus lied.. : Man said he said; he would return during the life of some of those standing there listening to him....
  • Jerry Clay Sl... 2013/11/22 16:42:54
    Jerry
    Yes, he disappointed his disciples in his time already. They died wondering.
    How many people died after, till today, for him or because of him?
  • Ray Clay Sl... 2013/11/22 16:59:51
  • Dickens 2013/11/22 13:49:48
    Dickens
    +6
  • ~Here C... Dickens 2013/11/22 15:33:40
    ~Here Comes The Sun~
    Yup.. I don't see dead people ;) or for this reason, non existent dead people..
  • democoach Dickens 2013/11/22 19:41:40
    democoach
    Funny how all these men sone who sisnt know eachother where plagged by this disease that madethem all say the same things
  • bricklyn Dickens 2013/11/23 18:11:32
    bricklyn
    +1
    Or on hallucinogenic drugs which were common then.
  • Chrissi Dickens 2013/12/04 19:19:09
    Chrissi
    You got the reasoning down pat--thank you for your response!!!
  • George-2 2013/11/22 13:48:30 (edited)
    George-2
    +1
    Well, he does take for his father (which, by the way, is himself) not to mention his inefficient response to very faithful pleads from parents of sick children that doesn't exceed random chance expectations

........gees if it weren't for doctors & health insurances.
  • angellina.karvouniari.9 2013/11/22 13:22:15
    angellina.karvouniari.9
    +2
    well,I am an atheist and I think that's really weird,don't know what to say,I don't believe in god anyways...it may be real,who knows?
  • margie 2013/11/22 13:16:28
    margie
    +1
    No, I don't believe that Jesus said that....
  • Ray margie 2013/11/22 17:01:54

2014/09/30 11:55:20