Jessica Alba's Husband Wears Pink Polish, Seal Wears Yellow: Should Guys Wear Nail Polish?

Jessica Alba got herself decked out for Fashion Week ... and so did her husband, film producer Cash Warren. The Daily Mail spotted hot pink nail polish on Mr. Jessica Alba's fingernails. Well, he was going to a fashion show ... and he had to find some way to stand out as the photogs went crazy for his stylish wife.

But Cash isn't the only dude rocking nail polish lately (and we're not talking about basic black, either). Heidi Klum's ex Seal was spotted in an airport in Australia Wednesday wearing neon yellow nail polish -- and no ring, The New York Daily News reports.

And last fall, USA Today noted the blue nail polish Johnny Depp wore to the premiere of his movie, "Rum Diary" -- which just so happened to match his shirt and handkerchief. We're not going to call this a "metrosexual" trend, because that term feels so dated.

But it does seem like fashion-forward guys are finally embracing nail polish -- and even, ironically, managing to look more manly as a result. Our only concern ... looks like there's going to be a much longer wait at the nail salon. Do you think guys should wear nail polish? Or does it look too "girlie" for your taste?

• Lisa 2012/02/18 02:17:35
    No, never
    Lisa
    +10
    Next thing you know the new style for women will be growing beards bearded lady

• Ray Louis 2012/08/11 14:44:46
    Sure, why not?
    Ray Louis
    It's only paint. What's the big deal?
  • Jon 2012/07/28 13:22:36
    Sure, why not?
    Jon
    That's not fair men should be able to wear nail polish too!!! Why do women get to have all of the fun?
  • cassandra 2012/07/27 00:10:51
    No, never
    cassandra
    nowadays men are trying to be woman.
    what's happening too the world?
    i'm guessing make-ups next.
  • Baja Me... cassandra 2012/07/31 14:57:21
    Baja Medical
    I am sorry to see that your ignorance supersedes you. Men have been wearing make up for decades.
  • cassandra Baja Me... 2012/08/03 04:48:33
  • Baja Me... cassandra 2012/08/14 14:03:45
    Baja Medical
    Is there a valid reason why you insulted me? I did not use profanity to make my comment. I can see in your reply, that you are are just not just ignorant on the subject, but you are also un-educated. God bless you Cassandra.
  • Sandrine 2012/05/03 23:27:14
    No, never
    Sandrine
    What ? ! Is it a joke ? ! This is very scary. This world goes crazy every day... so what's next ? lipstick ? Real men dont' wear nail polish ...or high heels !
  • Baja Me... Sandrine 2012/07/31 15:00:53
    Baja Medical
    Wow, men wearing nail polish really scares you? What should scare you is men (or women) who are child molesters, or corrupt investment bankers who steal peoples savings. Things that really mater.
  • Darling 2012/04/18 22:13:22
    Sure, why not?
    Darling
    +1
    My husband wears nail polish on his toes and I think he's SUPER sexy when he does. Sometimes I offer to paint his nails. We have two boys and twin girls on the way and I think his daughters will enjoy painting their nails with daddy. Even if my boys ask to paint their nails. It doesn't mean they are less male, it just means they are more open to new things.
  • Dydy 2012/03/31 23:25:14
    Sure, why not?
    Dydy
    +1
    Ppl need to be more open minded about these things. What ppl do to their own bodies it their business, no one else is entitled to riducule them for who they r. Tht is bullying and I'm pretty sure ppl can now get arrested for bullying. :p
  • CodeBlonde 2012/03/10 18:15:39
    Sure, why not?
    CodeBlonde
    +1
    It doesn't look right. But if that's what you want to do, I'd never complain about it unless you were MY man ...then it would be a big turn-off.
  • aLABiM75 2012/03/01 07:37:12
    Sure, why not?
    aLABiM75
    +1
    To each their own, though most could not pull it off until society becomes more accepting.
  • Royo 2012/02/29 03:30:21
    No, never
    Royo
    Uh.. no.
  • caroline.albrectsen 2012/02/27 20:40:54
    Sure, why not?
    caroline.albrectsen
    +1
    If we live in a world where women constantly crave equality and are allowed to dress like men, it would be unacceptable to tell a man he can't make what is usually feminine into a part of his own self expression.
  • segwayray 2012/02/26 21:43:51
    Sure, why not?
    segwayray
    It's only paint. Whats wrong with me adding alittle color to my life?
  • AstroZombie 2012/02/25 21:13:46
    Sure, why not?
    AstroZombie
    It used to be considered indecent for women to wear pants, but there is, for the most part, no problem with that now. Why should this be any different?
  • Dave 007 2012/02/25 14:43:54
    No, never
    Dave 007
    +1
    Come on guys, don't fall for this. Don't let some gay fashion designer tell us what to wear. Let those gay fashion designers have their fun telling women what to wear.
  • Patriot 2012/02/23 22:04:32
    No, never
    Patriot
    +1
    Sure, if your a ugly character like Seal! trying to start a retarded fad!
  • Jamie Patriot 2012/02/25 04:20:44
    Jamie
    +3
    Why do you consider it a fad? Women have been wearing nail polish for years. Nail polish was originally worn by men and women in ancient Egypt.
  • Baja Me... Patriot 2013/11/28 20:26:06
    Baja Medical
    What we see in others is a reflection of ourselves.
  • SC 2012/02/23 20:27:53
    No, never
    SC
    No good reason for men to wear nail polish. If a man does decide to wear nail polish, it is probably best just to ignore it. Fashions change and it may be quite fashionable for men to wear lots of makeup in the future -if so i hope that day is a long way off as I see how much time my wife takes to apply makeup and remove make up. Of course she does do her nails while watching TV sometimes, maybe she likes the process.
  • Jamie SC 2012/02/25 04:21:20
    Jamie
    +2
    There is a good reason for a man to wear nail polish - because he likes to wear it. That is all the reason that is needed.
  • SC Jamie 2012/03/16 20:28:04
    SC
    Sure, fine I suppose if one wants to wear nail polish it is readily available and hurts no one. Not exactly my cup of tea, but since fashion has never been my strong suit I really should not comment at all. I still believe makeup takes a lot of time, but I suppose if one wants to, they should. I find it hard to accept that "wanting to" is a reason. A reason would be more like - it looks good or it helps to keep nails from cracking or something lke that. But maybe you meant that no one needs to give a reason. Well, that also is fine. Sorry if you took this personally and If you wish to wear polish I wish you well with it.
  • Darling SC 2012/04/18 22:18:10
    Darling
    +3
    I agree Jamie, let a man wear nail polish... rocker guys do it, why can't any other guy do it? I think the younger generation would be more accepting of the idea than the older generation anyway...
  • Christopher101 2012/02/23 20:14:14
    Sure, why not?
    Christopher101
    +6
    I'm shaking my head at how ignorant people are. All I read in these comments is "I grew up this way and if you didn't your gay/weird." Obviously someone has never been outside their country before. So let's start up a list at people who are "feminine" by your definition:

The Scottish Gaelics who wear skirts into battles - gay
    The Japanese Samurai of the sengoku era - gay
    The US's forefathers who wore wigs/makeup/leggings - gay
    The English monarachy/royality - gay
    The Norse Vikings - gay
    The Ancient Greeks - gay
    Japanese in general - gay
    Korean - also gay
    Pirates - gay
    Slaves - gay
    Many African tribes - gay
    Hindus/Indians - gay
    Native Americans - gay
    Ancient middle eastern men - gay
    etc.

Pleas pick up a book ANY BOOK!!!

The actual determination of cross-dressing is largely socially constructed. For example, in Western society, trousers have been adopted for wear by women, and is not regarded as cross-dressing. In cultures where men have traditionally worn skirt-like garments such as the kilt or sarong these are not seen as female clothing, and wearing them is not seen as cross-dressing for men. As societies are becoming more global in nature, both men and women are adopting styles of dress associated with other cultures.

The historical associations of maleness with power an...

The English monarachy/royality - gay
    The Norse Vikings - gay
    The Ancient Greeks - gay
    Japanese in general - gay
    Korean - also gay
    Pirates - gay
    Slaves - gay
    Many African tribes - gay
    Hindus/Indians - gay
    Native Americans - gay
    Ancient middle eastern men - gay
    etc.

Pleas pick up a book ANY BOOK!!!

The historical associations of maleness with power and femaleness with submission and frivolity mean that in the present time a woman dressing in men's clothing and a man dressing in women's clothing evoke very different responses. A woman dressing in men's clothing is a marginally more acceptable activity.
  • SC Christo... 2012/02/23 20:34:51 (edited)
    SC
    Granted, I only scrolled a little way down the screen, but i saw none of the comments to which you refer. I think this was supposed to be a light-hearted question. I don't know quite what to make of your long list of people that you think are being called gay. Not sure I have every met anyone that thinks Vikings were gay. Sounds like you are angy with someone. Good luck, I hope you do well with whomever you think you are feuding.
  • Christo... SC 2012/02/23 20:54:06
    Christopher101
    +1
    It was more to show the cognitive dissidence between clothing, sexuality and what's normal. If everyone thought it was normal to wear a shoe on your head, would you do it? Would you find it weird? Same concept. If you consider what people wear to affect their sexuality than you are by definition close minded as you can only see what you have been taught as normal to be true. If you look at history those examples are of men who wore "feminine" clothes by western standards, however that does not make them gay. So why are the men above considered homosexual but vikings aren't? Cognitive dissidence. (I'm basically calling people stupid).
  • Darling Christo... 2012/04/18 22:22:37
    Darling
    +3
    Your right its society that complicates things with their stereotypes. Pacific Island men wear lavalavas (or sarongs) and in the western world its seen as a skirt. Men who can wear nail polish in public and be themselves no matter where they are is very attractive...
  • mrs.heart attack 2012/02/23 18:39:45
    Sure, why not?
    mrs.heart attack
    +1
    its them its no body else to be questioning them on what they where
  • joeman 2012/02/23 06:42:43
    No, never
    joeman
    +2
    Nail polish??? Skinny jeans??? Some fashion should be worn by women only. Looks ridiculous!!!!!
  • Papo 2012/02/23 03:25:20
    No, never
    Papo
    +1
    It's not masculine!
  • Jamie Papo 2012/02/23 04:55:26
    Jamie
    +5
    We could also state that "It's not feminine" when women wear men's shirts, men's watches, men's shoes, men's neckties, and the goes on and on. There are many articles in women's fashion magazines that explain how to incorporate items from men's fashion into their wardrobe. Women are encouraged to do this, but when men incorporate items from women's fashion, everyone crys foul! Why the double standard?
  • mrs.hea... Jamie 2012/02/24 19:24:24
    mrs.heart attack
    +2
    thats right we use there stuff but they cant use ours thats f***d up
  • miss el... Jamie 2012/06/10 19:23:42
    miss ellie shakeshead
    Good point, but unfortunately it's not completely accepted for women to wear mens clothes yet
  • joshuaar2 Papo 2012/03/01 17:54:11
    joshuaar2
    +1
    Who cares, times change, styles change, and what really is masculine, people do all kinds of crap and don't care about it besides its a free country
  • Darling Papo 2012/04/18 22:27:31
    Darling
    +1
    gender is over-rated! Did people love Micheal Jackson because he was a guy or because he was an entertainer? Did people love Princess Diana because she was a woman or because she had a heart of gold? If you were to take them out of their bodies and give them opposite genders, would they still be the same people/personality? Yes. It all comes down to the kind of person you are, in the end, cos people get over your looks and they get over your fame and begin to look at who you are as a person.
  • Baja Me... Darling 2013/11/28 20:41:01
  • Baja Me... Papo 2013/11/28 20:30:39
    Baja Medical
    Wrong, painted color nails on a hairy hand is not feminine either. I think you meant MACHO. Nail polish on a man is definitely not MACHO. But masculinity is not defined by the color of ones nails.
  • Theresa 2012/02/23 02:24:19
    No, never
    Theresa
    +1
    its creepy..
  • Jamie Theresa 2012/02/23 04:56:22
    Jamie
    +4
    Men wearing nail polish is very much like men wearing earrings, and tattoos, but it is much less permanent and it is fun and expressive because you can easily change it. It is important to remember that most high-fashion was invented by men and was worn by men in the days of our forefathers. This conversation about men wearing nail polish reminds me of the conversation in the 70′s regarding men wearing earrings which is now quite commonplace with even many NFL players wearing earrings. Men have very limited forms of self expression. On the other hand, women have been borrowing from men’s fashion for years. Additionally, when a man adopts an item from women’s fashion, a lot of folks immediately cry foul. Why the double standard? Fashion is fun and should be enjoyed by everyone and a person’s sexuality should not be judged because of their fashion choice as they are usually not related. Please look at men wearing nail polish with an open-mind. Women have been adopting from men’s fashion for many years and now men are beginning to reciprocate because many men are tired of the fashion prison that has been created for them. These men should be respected for being bold enough to try a fashion that was typically associated with women. I do agree with you that men’s nail polish is not...
    Men wearing nail polish is very much like men wearing earrings, and tattoos, but it is much less permanent and it is fun and expressive because you can easily change it. It is important to remember that most high-fashion was invented by men and was worn by men in the days of our forefathers. This conversation about men wearing nail polish reminds me of the conversation in the 70′s regarding men wearing earrings which is now quite commonplace with even many NFL players wearing earrings. Men have very limited forms of self expression. On the other hand, women have been borrowing from men’s fashion for years. Additionally, when a man adopts an item from women’s fashion, a lot of folks immediately cry foul. Why the double standard? Fashion is fun and should be enjoyed by everyone and a person’s sexuality should not be judged because of their fashion choice as they are usually not related. Please look at men wearing nail polish with an open-mind. Women have been adopting from men’s fashion for many years and now men are beginning to reciprocate because many men are tired of the fashion prison that has been created for them. These men should be respected for being bold enough to try a fashion that was typically associated with women. I do agree with you that men’s nail polish is not needed and also believe that men should not be limited regarding colors. If we insist on imposing limits on men’s expression, then maybe women should also go back to the days of June Cleaver and dress very feminine at all times by wearing high-heels and frilly dresses rather than items adopted from male fashion such as men’s shirts, masculine clunky boots, pants, blue jeans, men’s underwear (they call them boy shorts), men’s watches, and the list goes on and on. It is disrespectful and absurd to impose gender limitations on self expression. Please open your minds rather than being judgmental. Respectfully, Jamie

2014/07/25 11:34:50