It's Tax Day: Is Paying Taxes Doing Your Duty or Just Plain Depressing?

The Big Question 2012/04/14 01:27:00
Related Topics: Tax, Tax Day, Depressing

• voice_m... POWERSH... 2012/04/17 14:41:21
    voice_matters
    thanks for showing you are an ignorant lib.

1950 low tax rate was 17.40% and high was 84.357%. sorry libby but people did pay taxes.

do you care to try to find when people did not pay taxes?
  • POWERSH... voice_m... 2012/04/18 03:34:41 (edited)
  • voice_m... POWERSH... 2012/04/18 13:26:47
    voice_matters
    libby remember al capone. well he shows again you are an ignorant lib
  • POWERSH... voice_m... 2012/04/18 23:47:48
  • voice_m... POWERSH... 2012/04/18 23:56:32
    voice_matters
    yes you have posted comments to prove you ignore facts. al capone was arrested for tax evasion prior to 1950
    we have had taxes since the creation of civilization.
  • POWERSH... voice_m... 2012/04/19 00:07:19
  • voice_m... POWERSH... 2012/04/19 00:25:50
    voice_matters
    notice how you keep running from my comments. when i showed taxes ahve been around for ever you said you weren't talking about all just income. really do not care what taxes you want seeign it is congress that makes taxes them and they are all constitutional seeing that the founding fathers gave congess the power to levy taxes.

by the way we know there was an income tax during the civil war. congressed passed one in 1861 so agin libby you showed you are only here to show you ignore facts.
  • POWERSH... voice_m... 2012/04/19 00:40:43 (edited)
  • voice_m... POWERSH... 2012/04/19 01:43:16
    voice_matters

• POWERSH... voice_m... 2012/04/19 01:55:47
  • voice_m... POWERSH... 2012/04/19 02:34:18
    voice_matters
    libby please go read the us constitution. congress is allowed to levy taxes. thus the 16th amendment is not needed to tax income,

42 of 48 states ratified the amendment

stop wasting my time with your ignorance of the facts.
  • Omni POWERSH... 2012/04/16 16:17:20
    Omni
    There was never a time when people didn't have to pay taxes. You wouldn't have a United States unless we had taxes.
  • JohnT Omni 2012/04/16 16:49:48
    JohnT
    Based upon income less than 5k some don't pay taxes look it up folks
  • smitty Omni 2012/04/16 17:33:47 (edited)
    smitty
    Now do you mean income taxes or other types such as a sales tax? Or a one time tax?

An interesting case to look at is Pollock vs Farmer's Loan and Trust.
  • POWERSH... Omni 2012/04/19 00:41:04
    Doing Your Duty
    and IF no taxes what do you suggest?
  • rknothead 2012/04/14 20:10:54
    Doing Your Duty
    rknothead
    +3
    Taxes and death, two things you can count on! I do believe we should pay our taxes, but I also think our elected representatives in Washington have a responsibility to us as tax payers to spend our tax $ wisely and with prudence. And under the current administration that is simply not happening.
  • Joe The... rknothead 2012/04/15 12:05:40
    Joe The Economist
    +2
    Can you name an administration where it did?
  • rknothead Joe The... 2012/04/15 12:45:52
    rknothead
    not in the last 20 years...and that's why I think so many are angry at govt. Power is corrupting at any level. It takes a lot practice and self-awareness not to be caught up in a power over right struggle. I do support terms limits because of this, and I don't like either political party at the grass roots level because they both thwart the general public from becoming involved in grass roots politics, where it's most important to our daily lives.
  • Joe The... rknothead 2012/04/15 13:32:44
    Joe The Economist
    +1
    I would venture to say in the last 100 years. The last 20 have been particularly bad because of the hidden spending.

Organizing is important, and social media is the our best resource. These groups tell like-minded people that they are not alone.

Here is a FB page for term-limits. I am on it. http://www.facebook.com/FixSo...

I work with a grassroots effort to renew interest in Social Security reform. We don't push a specific reform, only that reform is needed and honesty is required.

http://www.facebook.com/FixSo...

If you want to do more on SS let me know.
  • rknothead Joe The... 2012/04/15 13:38:44
    rknothead
    I agree totally with reform. Personally, I run my companies with a simple IRA that matches up to 3% of their wage if they choose to take out for the IRA. I try to explain to them that's a 100% return on their initial investment. But still cant get everyone onboard. So reform may be the answer if my employees are typical.
  • Joe The... rknothead 2012/04/15 18:51:56
    Joe The Economist
    If you want to help join the community. This is what we stand for : honesty in the debate. We don't push a specific reform, we provide information on all alternatives.

I you want to do more, tell us where we are wrong. Our site, www.FixSSNow.Org, is designed to tell people about all of the alternatives in down-to-earth terms without all of the polarizing rethoric. We use the feedback to strengthen the site.
  • Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/14 18:51:13
    Depressing
    Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Because the people entrusted with its safekeeping are crooked.
  • Reichstolz 2012/04/14 18:36:33
    Depressing
    Reichstolz
    +3
    I pay mine quarterly and that is always a sobering line item. The issue that makes it depressing is there is no benefit to give my labor to the government to waste.
  • GANGA~Patriotic Revolution ... 2012/04/14 18:35:17
    Depressing
    GANGA~Patriotic Revolution BL-100+
  • Dogzebr... GANGA~P... 2012/04/14 18:53:38
    Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Twentys? What are you some kinda cheapskate? If your going to clog the pot make it worthwhile!
  • GANGA~P... Dogzebr... 2012/04/14 19:04:43
  • Patriot Unit 2012/04/14 17:38:06
    Depressing
    Patriot Unit
    +2
    It is depressing, when you have no control over what the money is used for. As the government who is supposed to work for us does not. And all the lame and and dead heads that keep voting the crooks back into office, so that they can get more stuff. Or those that take the word of the Democrats that they will give them more stuff. I have never had a dislike in paying taxes for the running of the Federal government, until Johnson was elected. As that is when I remember all this Social Engineering starting. I am sure it started before that, But that is what I remember. It is our duty to pay for the running of the Federal government, but being forced to do so, is so wrong. We should have a Flat or Fair tax. One that is set at the same percentage, and left that way. That would do two things, force the government to work within its means, and within the Constitution. Instead of causing all the hate and discontent in the class warfare it causes.
  • Flamingolady 2012/04/14 17:03:07
    Depressing
    Flamingolady
    +4
    It would be different if you could choose the alleged "services" that your taxes went for. Instead of::: How much did Michelle Obama s African trip cost taxpayers
  • Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll 2012/04/14 14:32:58
    Depressing
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    +1
    Because we are all being ROBBED and none of us have the balls to do anything about it.

If I demand your money with a gun, it's STEALING.

If THEY demand your money with the threat of jail time, it's TAXATION.
  • Joe The... Mr.Hood... 2012/04/15 12:11:06
    Joe The Economist
    "Because we are all being ROBBED and none of us have the balls to do anything about it."

It isn't that we don't have the balls. We don't have the self-believe that we make a difference. I work with a grassroots effort to renew interest in Social Security reform. The number 1 response I get is nothing-i-do-will-make-a-diff... The problem is that doing nothing is the problem.
  • Joe The Economist 2012/04/14 12:41:14
    Depressing
    Joe The Economist
    +2
    The depressing part is knowing what you will get for them. The depressing part is knowing that while Apr 15th isn't your full bill. You know that you will be paying for the debt we are issuing at some point - so this April 15th will be the BEST April 15th for the REST of your life.
  • voice_m... Joe The... 2012/04/16 14:51:48
    voice_matters
    april 15 is not when i am depressed it is every 2 weeks when i see how much of my paycheck is taken
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/14 12:12:55
    Depressing
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Just knowing that we pay an Unconstitutional kind and amount of taxes is depressing.
  • Minarchist 2012/04/14 08:32:38
    Depressing
    Minarchist
    +1
    Taxes is the coercion of fraud and theft. The only full productive society is elimination of all taxes and replaced by a voluntary system this could be made at the point of consumption of new goods, services and property. Propety and the medium exchange of property (money) happens voluntarily between to parties. They mutually benefit or they would not do so. This voluntary system is which a national sales taxes could happen at the point of the final consumer. Research Americans for fair taxation, Fairtax.org, or read the two books by Linder and Boortz.
  • Depressing
    ☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!!
    +2
    And with the Marxists idiot the tax burden is going too worsen and inflation rise!
    Depressing
    +3
    INFURIATING ..
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/04/14 06:16:03
    Doing Your Duty
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    Those big shiny new Aircraft carriers aren't going to buy themselves...
  • Joe The... Beat Ma... 2012/04/14 12:42:34
    Joe The Economist
    +2
    Neither are the golf lessons for the poor.
  • Reichstolz Beat Ma... 2012/04/14 18:37:41
    Reichstolz
    Neither are the cell phones for the bums on the corner.

2014/10/22 04:54:03