It's Cold Out There: Do Dogs Need to Wear Coats?

Here in New York City, when we see a dog all dressed up in a winter coat, we usually write off the owner as a kooky old lady or someone with too much money to spend.

However, some breeds do need outerwear in the winter, veterinarians tell The Wall Street Journal -- especially when it's really cold out.

Small, short-haired, inactive dogs without a thick fur undercoat are more vulnerable to cold weather, the paper reports.

So if you have a Chihuahua, dachshund, Boston terrier, shih tzu, bichon frise, miniature pinscher or xolo, you probably want to bundle it up.

"There's no question in winter with rain, snow and ice that these dogs are more at risk because of their size and inability to keep body heat," Rene Carlson, president-elect of the American Veterinary Medical Association, tells WSJ.

And if your pup is old or sick, it may need a little help staying warm, regardless of its breed, Stephen Zawistowski, science adviser to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, tells the paper.

Now we have a good excuse to go shopping.

Read More: http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/11193...

• msteresa87 2011/01/31 04:08:51 (edited)
    msteresa87
    +9
    well, why not? I think it would look incredibly cute, keep them possibly more warm, but more importantly pets need to be kept indoors when its below freezing out

incredibly cute warm importantly pets indoors freezing dogs and coats

• Pete 2013/10/29 09:02:10
    Pete
    Depends on there natural coat that nature gave them.
  • Hamm0ckjames 2013/10/28 23:57:06
    Hamm0ckjames
    +1
    My Little Emma wears a coat when it's snowy outside. She is a short hair breed and she gets cold out there in the winter. Besides all of that,,,,,,,,, she's a little spoiled.
    My Little Emma
  • TheAsianDiva85 2013/10/28 23:18:11
    TheAsianDiva85
    +1
    Yeah and yep,they DO because they looks cute while wearing them and it keeps them safe and warm,too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/01/03 04:42:21
    Inquisitve Kat
    +1
    It depends on the breed.
    I have a miniature dachshund who absolutely freezes if he does not wear a coat; I don't dress him for fashion.
  • JesseGreathouse 2011/03/06 00:47:30
    JesseGreathouse
    some dogs do, some dogs don't.
  • peaceluvhorses101 2011/03/04 21:23:11
    peaceluvhorses101
    +1
    I clicked yes but it depends on the breed if you have a husky, no they are bred for the cold but a pug yes they can get really cold
  • Ber 2011/03/04 10:40:13
    Ber
    +1
    Smaller dogs need the warmth like Chihuahua's. they just shiver....so yes they need coats and lil shoes in winter time if they are going out in the snow!
  • Everarianas 2011/02/02 01:22:35
    Everarianas
    For all those who voted yes: use common sense. I have known this since kindergarten: dogs do NOT need coats because they have a thick layer of fur to keep them warm. If the cousins of dogs, wolves, can stay warm in the snow, then so can dogs.
  • Piper Everari... 2011/02/02 02:38:18
    Piper
    +2
    That is just silly. Not all dogs have heavy coats, and if they are used to being indoors in the heat, like many pets are, they need some protection from the cold just like you would.
  • Inquisi... Everari... 2012/01/03 04:46:09
    Inquisitve Kat
    +3
    Not all dogs originate from climates that get cold winters. My dog shivers and refuses to move if I bring him outside without a coat during the winter. I don't dress him for play or fashion, but out of necessity. Boots are used during walks on city sidewalks, too, or anywhere salt is used as it damages the pads on their paws.
    It really does depend on the breed. Wolves also have not adapted to being house-pets... most dogs would die if they were left on their own in the woods.
  • Pureblood_ 2011/02/01 07:47:19
    Pureblood_
    animals dont need clothes they have fur and body heat but sometimes i feel sad coz they're outside in the cold :( .well maybe those lil dogs that look like all they have is skin yeah i think they should wear coats...
  • S&man 2011/02/01 05:43:56
    S&man
    +2
    Cute??? It is, without a doubt, the most REDICULOUS looking things on earth. Dogs do NOT need clothes. Somehow, they have managed to survive for thousands of years without them.
  • Selfish 2011/02/01 04:52:52
    Selfish
    Animals don't need clothes
  • lauren dull 2011/02/01 04:52:08
    lauren dull
    It really depends on what kind of dog you have, Mine is part Eskimo and loves the cold and snow , he dives in and wiggles on is back, it is to cute. But I think some dogs should have them. My dog is all white and has very sensitive skin, he wears booties because the salt bothers him.
  • Noob Saibot 2011/02/01 03:43:20
    Noob Saibot
    +2
    theyre jus like us they need to stay warm too
  • Everari... Noob Sa... 2011/02/02 01:23:17
    Everarianas
    Yes so that's why they have fur! They don't need coats.
  • greyhound58 2011/02/01 03:09:39
    greyhound58
    +1
    It depends on the breed. I have Greyhounds and due to the lack of a fat layer, they need a coat when outside for extended periods. Now Sled dogs are a different story, they have problems with heat when living a life as a working sled dog.
  • Karen E 2011/02/01 01:51:42
    Karen E
    +1
    my Chihuahuas have sweaters. even the dachshund is glad for the extra warmth, it has been very cold here.
  • danjac1263 2011/02/01 01:41:31
    danjac1263
    Im not real big on the coats, but they need to be sheltered from harsh weather. Some people are moronic in how they treat their pets.
  • mana kai 2011/02/01 00:22:18
    mana kai
    Animals will develop a thicker natural hair coat if you don't make them wear the sweater you knitted for them. If you live in New York and bought a hairless dog - that's just stupid.
  • Callie 2011/02/01 00:10:24
    Callie
    I don't now about your pets, but mine would throw me in the oven if I put him in clothes. He's a wild man.
  • Inquisi... Callie 2012/01/03 04:48:10
    Inquisitve Kat
    Your dog is adorable! I have a long-haired black and tan... but if I bring him out without a coat, he shivers and refuses to move or do his business... my old dog, a Norwegian buhund, never wore a coat.
  • ♥ Emily the "Cutie Banana P... 2011/01/31 23:09:04
    ♥ Emily the "Cutie Banana Pie" ♥
    +2
    It depends.
    I have two small Yorkshire Terriers, and I cut their fur very short. When I let them outside to go 'potty', I put a coat on them because they get cold easily. I'm against dressing animals up like this, though...

yorkshire terriers cut fur potty coat cold dressing animals dressing up animals
  • Lerro DeHazel 2011/01/31 22:13:05
    Lerro DeHazel
    You never see dogs wearing gloves and socks . . . I don't know why . . . It would seem that the same animals would feel the cold on their feet-and-legs as much as their backs . . . To feel the wind-chill factor, do the dog-owners lay down their faces on the asphault and concrete side-walk to feel if there is any possibility of a wind-chill factor? . . . If so, then maybe they should knit the canines some gloves and some shoes (stockings) etc.
  • Inquisi... Lerro D... 2012/01/03 04:49:57
    Inquisitve Kat
    +1
    My dog has booties... the salt on the sidewalks during the winter is damaging to the pads on their paws.
  • Lerro D... Inquisi... 2012/01/04 21:09:29
    Lerro DeHazel
    I used to know this gal who had a Siamese Cat that ate M&Ms . . .
  • JuliaStamey 2011/01/31 21:38:03
    JuliaStamey
    +1
    i have a boxer dog and we live way up in north idaho so when its cold outside, i do put a thin layer on her. she dosen't stay outside a whole lot though so she dosen't need it all the time. dogs get sick too if they are put outside all the time. i <3 my dog.
  • Michaela Basciano 2011/01/31 21:37:40
    Michaela Basciano
    there should have been an "undecided"
    and it tottally depends
  • jessica 2011/01/31 21:26:05
    jessica
    ummm no arnt dogs supposed to be like warm there selfs
  • danjac1263 jessica 2011/02/01 01:42:26
    danjac1263
    You mean like magic?
  • GLaDOS 2011/01/31 21:18:07
    GLaDOS
    +2
    Certain breeds do. Particularly those that are built for hotter climates. They don't have the double coat required to stay warm in harsh winters. Just like breeds that are made for colder climates, shouldn't be kept in hot ones. The people who do this are irresponsible.
  • Wise Soul 2011/01/31 21:06:16
    Wise Soul
    Because of specific breeding some dogs have lost their natural protection against the elements. If it is a "real" dog they should still looks like the animal it came from. breeding dogs lost natural protection elements real dog animal great pyreneese breeding dogs lost natural protection elements real dog animal bernese mountain dog breeding dogs lost natural protection elements real dog animal rhodesian ridgeback
  • Wise Soul Wise Soul 2011/01/31 21:20:16
    Wise Soul
    The Rhodesian Ridgeback is not well suited for Artic cold but is well adapted for extreme heat. It has to do with the right dog for the right climate.
  • betty rage 2011/01/31 20:43:26
    betty rage
    +2
    if the dog is hairless then yes maybe it should.I have a teddy bear pomeranian with no hair so we put him in shirts, but putting a great dane in a sweater is basically abuse. Thats why they have fur.
  • tor 2011/01/31 20:36:12 (edited)
    tor
    +2
    these guys are ready for a walk! guys ready walk dog coat gets pretty cold in the north, and some breeds don't have enough fur to keep them warm.
  • Wise Soul tor 2011/01/31 21:13:40
    Wise Soul
    Actually Doberman Pinchers are able to tollerate colder tempatures than some think. They can't handle it as well as Newfs or St. Bernards but they do have a double coat and they are large enough to store heat. I bet if they didn't have those coats on they'd be fine.
  • Edie Wise Soul 2011/02/03 03:06:18
    Edie
    +1
    Why don't you try going without a coat you would probably be fine too.
  • Wise Soul Edie 2011/02/04 06:30:03
    Wise Soul
    I went out in 0 degree weather and rode around on a snowmobile in a T shirt and pants. I don't have a "short" double coat protecting my whole body from cold. I think you are the one that needs to put coats on them. Don't put them on and see if they refuse to go out. Dogs coats will tend to get thicker when exposed to extreme cold.
  • Edie 2011/01/31 20:28:16
    Edie
    +1
    My yorkie and poodle wear the proper attire to keep them comfortable. They are our family they are cared for everyday teeth brushed when they get up and when they go to bed they also have their faces washed daily. It is as important to take care of them to maintain their well being. They live in the house with us, wear shoes when they take their walks the sidewalks are cold in the winter and hot in the summer. If you do not plan to care for them do not get them we have far too many dogs in shelters.
  • Wise Soul Edie 2011/01/31 21:16:50
    Wise Soul
    Sounds like you and your significant other take very good care of your pets.

2014/10/23 04:43:29