It's 4/20 Today: Are You For or Against the Legalization of Marijuana?

The Big Question 2012/04/20 08:00:00
Related Topics: Marijuana

• sundance 2012/04/20 08:49:20
    For
    sundance
    +22
    Yes, I am for the legalization of Marijuana. Now, a lot of you will ask why. Well, for starters, I am completely against the idea of a hundred thousand plus people in prison over a plant that any moron can grow in his back yard. I am real tired of paying their bills, and supporting a system that precipitates this kind of non-sense. I am for legalizing Marijuana, because it does have (proven, regardless of what he FDA says) incredible medicinal qualities. I am also for the legalization on a more pragmatic front. Legalize marijuana, and you starve a major artery of illicit activity, all based on (and supported by) illicit Marijuana profits (remember the hundred thousand in prison?). I am also in support of legalization, simply because I am tired of seeing the smoke and mirrors show, that is the drug war. Its a plant. It cannot kill you, nor can you die from it. Can the same thing be honestly said for "any other drug" you can think of? The list of killers would include alcohol, prescription drugs (abused more than any other type of drug, by the way), Heroin, cocaine, Meth etc etc. Wake up folks, and realize that its a plant. You can cook with and season food with it. One of its native cousins makes some of the best rope and clothing (Hemp) on earth. Marijuana relieves the sufferi...
    Yes, I am for the legalization of Marijuana. Now, a lot of you will ask why. Well, for starters, I am completely against the idea of a hundred thousand plus people in prison over a plant that any moron can grow in his back yard. I am real tired of paying their bills, and supporting a system that precipitates this kind of non-sense. I am for legalizing Marijuana, because it does have (proven, regardless of what he FDA says) incredible medicinal qualities. I am also for the legalization on a more pragmatic front. Legalize marijuana, and you starve a major artery of illicit activity, all based on (and supported by) illicit Marijuana profits (remember the hundred thousand in prison?). I am also in support of legalization, simply because I am tired of seeing the smoke and mirrors show, that is the drug war. Its a plant. It cannot kill you, nor can you die from it. Can the same thing be honestly said for "any other drug" you can think of? The list of killers would include alcohol, prescription drugs (abused more than any other type of drug, by the way), Heroin, cocaine, Meth etc etc. Wake up folks, and realize that its a plant. You can cook with and season food with it. One of its native cousins makes some of the best rope and clothing (Hemp) on earth. Marijuana relieves the suffering of millions. Calms the urge to barf your guts out when treated with Chemo drugs. Marijuana has been found to have more medicinal uses than I care to type. Oh, did I mention that it grows wild in nearly every climate on Earth? One more time, for those in the cheap seats... Its a plant folks...Just a thought....

• BurntOf... harley ... 2012/04/23 15:21:38
    BurntOffering
    I would say it takes one to know one...But...Oh my bad I did say it. People like you and Rush Limbaugh leave me in AW so maybe you should hang out together since you both need E & V as your crutch so you can pay for that Cu*T-Ass-Wipe
  • Chokmah BurntOf... 2012/04/20 20:44:03
    Chokmah
    +1
    Alcohol is the most harmful drug overall, a British analysis found.

Researchers assessed the impact the misuse of drugs has on health, policing and social care using multiple criteria decision analysis.

Twenty drugs were scored on 16 criteria -- using a 100-point scale -- and the criteria were weighted to indicate their relative importance, the researchers said. Their study revealed alcohol was the most harmful drug overall with a score of 72, followed by heroin at 55 and crack cocaine at 54.

In addition, the study found heroin was the most harmful drug for the users themselves with a score of 34, followed by crack cocaine with a score of 37 and methamphetamine with a score for 32. The most harmful drugs for society were alcohol with a score of 46, heroin at 21 and crack cocaine at 17.

The study, published in The Lancet, was conducted by David J. Nutt of Imperial College London, Leslie A. King, a British expert adviser to the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction in Lisbon, Portugal, and Lawrence D. Phillips of London School of Economics and Political Science.
  • BigFig#9 2012/04/20 16:07:48
    For
    BigFig#9
    +1
    Tax and Regulate....Current policy is working almost as well as alcohol prohibition did.
  • harley oldman 2012/04/20 16:07:43
    For
    harley oldman
    +1
    Legalize IT...and... TAX it. This would put thousands of Dealers out of business. The Cartels would be crippled. And their use would drop to near non-existance in the US.
    Use the tax dollars to set up rehab facilities. This would also lower the expences of the Prison systems and Put away ACTUAL Criminals. It would be a win-win for the Taxpayers.
    Before you say that I`m completely NUTS. Think about how the "War on Drugs" has really WORKED. The same way Prohibition worked.....It DIDN`T.
  • _-T3x4S_M4D3-_ 2012/04/20 16:01:39
  • Aly Hart 2012/04/20 15:51:38
    For
    Aly Hart
    +1
    It's nowhere near as harmful as some of the things that ARE legal (alcohol, cigarettes, etc.) and it would save alot of unnecessary arrests from people trying to sell/smuggle it.
  • pammy choudhary 2012/04/20 15:50:42
  • YOMOMMA 2012/04/20 15:50:11
    Against
    YOMOMMA
    +1
    I like it just the way it is. If the government gets involved it ill be taxed and messed up. Just don't get caught.
  • JJ Rage 2012/04/20 15:46:27
  • Steve 2012/04/20 15:43:36
    For
    Steve
    +1
    you should be able to walk into a 7-11 and buy a pack just like someone would buy a pack of cigarettes. everything else should be legal as well. who are they to tell you what you can and can't consume?
  • Christi 2012/04/20 15:43:35
    Against
    Christi
    I am against it
  • FunkyMunky 2012/04/20 15:42:44 (edited)
    For
    FunkyMunky
    It just makes sense in so many ways.. Saving lives, saving money from monitoring and enforcement, saving money from the employment of DEA agents, increasing state and federal revenues, and decreasing the number of people being incarcerated (and thus costing tax dollars) for non-violent crimes, to name a few.

It makes sense from monetary, budgetary, and common sense standpoints.
  • Eris Landos 2012/04/20 15:42:08
    Against
    Eris Landos
    If it's legalized, people may think it's an acceptable thing to do!
  • Rebel Eris La... 2012/04/20 17:02:03
    Rebel
    +1
    Why isn't an acceptable thing to do? You self medicate with Tylenol/advil/etc right? You drink coffee to help wake up in the morning. I can list about a million mundane daily things we do....that are completely acceptable.... and 100% identical to the topic of marijuana use.
  • Eris La... Rebel 2012/04/21 02:37:03
    Eris Landos
    Basically for the reasons on here: http://www.drugabuse.gov/publ...

People also smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol that are completely acceptable, but should they be? If it's harmful and already illegal, then why change the system? People who take marijuana will still take it, and people who don't won't. Personally, I've seen far too many people throw their lives away to marijuana; waste all their money, break their social ties, ruin their emotional state and destroy their mental health to be able to accept sane-minded people would want to legalize this and say to everyone; hey, it's totally fine if you take this.
  • Rebel Eris La... 2012/04/21 04:11:16
    Rebel
    Why change the system??! /facepalm

First off change is good. Secondly it's not harmful. I've seen many people quit cold turkey and have no issues at all - my best friend is the CEO of a company, there's one example out of thousands.

Emotional opinion is fine and dandy, but you should probably actually research a topic before you comment on them. Just saying...
  • Eris La... Rebel 2012/04/21 08:11:13
    Eris Landos
    Change isn't necessarily good. If you can positively say that life will be better once marijuana is legalized, then you can say, in this case, that change is good. If you, like the rest of us, don't know how the legalization will change society, you can't comment that it'll be for the better or for the worst. Every positive change in history is the predecessor to a negative one, dear, but let's not get into that debate.

Now I'll say it again; why change the system. It's bad for you and has been classified in the best possible manner; as an illegal substance.

Well, that creates a contradiction because I've seen many people who have taken up marijuana and destroyed their lives; it is scientifically proven to decrease mental capability and increase chances of serious mental diseases, such as schizophrenia. Here's another link as you obviously did not look at the first one:

http://alcoholism.about.com/o...

Says the one who provides no logical argument in relation to the topic at hand, nor comments on the link clearly giving reasons as to why it shouldn't be legalized. Please, hon, take your own advice. You've obviously quite emotional about the subject as you've purposely picked out my response (as I happen to be against). If you weren't, like myself, you wouldn't have bothered. (The...

http://alcoholism.about.com/o...

Says the one who provides no logical argument in relation to the topic at hand, nor comments on the link clearly giving reasons as to why it shouldn't be legalized. Please, hon, take your own advice. You've obviously quite emotional about the subject as you've purposely picked out my response (as I happen to be against). If you weren't, like myself, you wouldn't have bothered. (The punctuation after "system" suggest a highly emotional reaction to my statement, so don't call the kettle black if you happen to be a pot (I really hope you understand the pun there)).

PS - I suggest you do a little bit of research for the next time you post a reply to give some credibility to what you say. Saying it's not harmful yet proving no scientific or medical study to confirm your diagnosis only points to the following options; a. you're just ignorant and have no idea of what you're saying or b. you're a user (which wouldn't surprise me).
  • Rebel Eris La... 2012/04/21 17:09:02
    Rebel
    Look no offense, and I appreciate the long well thought out posts, but I have researched this....and I've debated with those in denial pretty often. You guys never see the light, because you don't want to see the light. Your stuck in your belief and it'll never change because you'll never open your mind up. Change is good, not all change, but change in relative terms is good.

I linked you to NORML which has numerous medical journal listing, numerous doctors research, judicial research, and tons of credibility. See if you want something legalized you don't make a fan boy site about it, you go at it with facts. You have obviously failed to research the topic still, I gave you a link and you apparently did not even read it, or click through.

Also, I don't use drugs. I've been a volunteer EMT for 7 years now, I serve our nation in the US Air Force, so your ignorant assumption falls on it's face. Do you really want to go this route? No you don't. Because when you resort to insults it has clearly shown you have lost the debate.

I provided an argument, I provided proof, and you refused to adjust even slightly to look at another side. I have no incentive to debate someone so rigid in belief or closed minded. I'm sorry you feel this way. Have a good one.
  • Eris La... Rebel 2012/04/23 07:38:35
    Eris Landos
    I honestly can't tell if you're a troll or just stupid. The purpose of an argument is to make a claim, and show supporting evidence. You've remained completely bull-headed in regards to our little discussion and showed no link or examples to prove your thesis; it remains irrelevant, no matter how much you choose to insult me.

No, you haven't sent me any links. I think you're a little confused about who your arguing with. Next time you pick an argument, pick one you understand the topic a little more, and actually do a little bit of research instead of remaining stubborn in your beliefs. If you're not open to new ideas, then don't bother commenting in the first place. I'll give you more advice; actually read through your previous responses before you comment.

I fail to see the purpose in bringing your personal life into this argument. Unless you were a person strictly dedicated to the effects of marijuana on the human body and mind, then it's irrelevant. Stop getting emotional.
    Feel free to be insulted about my lack of interest in your personal life.
    In other words, 'losing' the debate would mean by response has contradicted study or there is obvious fault within my argument, which there isn't because I actually know what I'm talking about. I'm not stalling with useless knowledge a...

In other words, 'losing' the debate would mean by response has contradicted study or there is obvious fault within my argument, which there isn't because I actually know what I'm talking about. I'm not stalling with useless knowledge about my personal life, but actually replying to the comments you make, and base my argument around credible sources.

Feel free not to reply, because I've read up to know nothing you say can possibly reverse the outcome of this argument (do feel free to try). If I were you, I would cease commenting on other people's responses when I know nothing about the subject.
  • Rebel Eris La... 2012/04/23 19:22:46 (edited)
    Rebel
    Oh calling me a troll and/or stupid. Yeah cause that wins your side of the debate. I accept your forfeiture. After all you only resort in insults when you can nothing less to say, it's the poor debaters style. Oh and I never insulted you even once....and if you think I did....you have some really thin skin. I'm not even interested in your counter argument, didn't read it, not interested, you lost in your first sentence. Great job!

thumbs up
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/04/20 15:39:37
    For
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    I don't smoke weed, never have, never will. Stoners annoy the hell out of me, but being annoying and lazy should not be a mandatory sentence to six months of prison rape. If you can buy smokes and booze, you should be able to get a joint without being bothered.
  • _-T3x4S... Beat Ma... 2012/04/20 15:53:47
  • Brendakp Beat Ma... 2012/04/20 19:20:17
    Brendakp
    I've had the same job for 22 years and I am NOT lazy.
  • brittneylalaa 2012/04/20 15:35:59
    For
    brittneylalaa
    +1
    I think it's silly to make something illegal just because people may abuse it. There are so many drugs that can be abused on the market right now. There are so many things you can get high off of and head on into work or get in a car and drive somewhere. So why choose marijuana to be illegal? Should everything people can abuse be illegal? Of course not. Come to think of it, how many people do you know who've died from an overdose of marijuana?
  • _-T3x4S... brittne... 2012/04/20 15:53:20
  • MR. 2012/04/20 15:28:59
    Against
    MR.
    I've always been against Adolph Hitlers Birthday! (Blow out the candles, kleiner junge)
  • Lerro DeHazel 2012/04/20 15:25:17
    Against
    Lerro DeHazel
    +1
    Medical Science has not argued much in-favor of Medical Marijuana being "another Salk Vaccine" . . . Until they do, I don't really see where it's anything but POLITICAL right now. Nice point about "it's 4/20 today" etc.
  • Sam DeP... Lerro D... 2012/04/20 18:34:18
    Sam DePecan
    +1
    . . . But WHAT IF Roger Clinton, who is Bill's brother, becomes a Doctor, and he steps forward and presents his strong personal belief into why he feels that Medical Marijuana is the Prescription Drug that will forever treat the cause when the patient takes the cure?? . . . So, you can't say that.
  • Lerro D... Sam DeP... 2012/04/20 19:41:52
    Lerro DeHazel
    +1
    Alright, you might have a point there. Let's say that a patient is sick and tired of listening to today's music where a 3-minute song has no beginning and no ending but what seems like 30-minutes of middle; and they want to take the cure and listen to Grace Slick? That might work for the sorry, worthless-ass teenagers of today who need to be cured. You might have a point there.
  • Sam DeP... Lerro D... 2012/04/20 19:43:37
    Sam DePecan
    +1
    Exactly! There it is!!
  • Chokmah 2012/04/20 15:25:07
    For
    Chokmah
    +2
    Marijuana is safer than alcohol and people commit zero crimes on weed. Alcohol by contrast causes more car accidents, deaths, violence, rapes, and mayhem on a typical Friday night than all the weed in the word does in 10 year.
  • Jay Theyme Chokmah 2012/04/20 15:46:01
    Jay Theyme
    I'm very interested in this claim you make about 'zero crimes' on weed. When I was a teenager almost every one of us that was a criminal was also getting baked on weed. In Ireland, (annually) a group gets together to throw rocks and bottles and basically spark a riot with police. They smoke weed before they start. All over the UK weed and vandals and criminal youth go together hand-in-hand.

Over here I've worked in a jail for years and I'd say nearly every inmate (no exaggeration) is a regular pot-smoker. If they can smoke pot and drink alcohol at the same time its great.

Our highway patrol guys used to have close to zero arrests for weed-driving. Because there is well established procedure and machines for alcohol. There wasn't for marijuana. So they got them on the alcohol. Now they have better weed-detecting ability and guess what rate has gone way up? Driving-while-high.

Most of the pot-smokers I've known certainly can be mellow on weed. Many on alcohol are also really mellow, happy, silly, harmless too. But I can tell you this - its amazing how aggravated, moody, actually sometimes nearly violent in temper chronic weed smokers are when they DO NOT have weed.

Keep in mind - heroin addicts rarely commit any kind of crime when they are actual...

Keep in mind - heroin addicts rarely commit any kind of crime when they are actually zoned out on heroin. They lay in catatonic states (like they are dead almost) drifting into space. They might then kill a grandmother for $60 when they 'become sick' (do NOT have heroin).

Tonight the local bar down here will be a gong-show fist-fighting police hot-spot. We know this crowd all too well. (heck we are even friends with a few regulars) and almost all of them smoke weed. But you will say its the alcohol that will bring the rowdy obnoxious behavior right?
  • Chokmah Jay Theyme 2012/04/20 18:13:14
    Chokmah
    +1
    They must be 'drinking' or popping pills along with it... I don't believe that weed alone would cause people to engage in violence. The worse thing that most pot smokers do is eat all the leftovers from the fridge, or raid the cookie jars.
  • Jay Theyme Chokmah 2012/04/20 18:23:31
    Jay Theyme
    Assassins were said to smoke Hashish (some say the word is the same as in 'Hashish-ins'.

No, I dont' agree with you that weed smokers eat leftovers as the worst thing. I think many become extremely agitated and unsocial and even easily angered when the high wears off.

Plenty commit crimes high on weed. See it all the time in the jail.
  • Chokmah Jay Theyme 2012/04/20 18:39:44
    Chokmah
    +1
    They committed premeditated crimes and had criminal mentalities before they smoked the weed.
  • Jay Theyme Chokmah 2012/04/20 19:24:11
    Jay Theyme
    Well that is a different question isn't it? The original claim made is that people on weed are not involved in crimes and bad behavior. Well we see plenty of weed smokers committing crimes while baked.

The argument can be made it helps them commit crimes. By keeping their nerves in check, relaxing them,

or,

by getting them paranoid, confused and losing their cognitive thinking abilities, judgment, reaction, consequences etc.

Quite often we see crimes committed to GET marijuana. They want to get high bad enough to violently assault and steal weed from someone else at the park or party. A number of break-and-enters to steal marijuana from homes. Plenty of fights and assaults over weed-buyers believing they did not get marijuana or not enough.
  • Chokmah Jay Theyme 2012/04/20 20:39:48 (edited)
    Chokmah
    "Researchers assessed the impact the misuse of drugs has on health, policing and social care using multiple criteria decision analysis.

Twenty drugs were scored on 16 criteria -- using a 100-point scale -- and the criteria were weighted to indicate their relative importance, the researchers said. Their study revealed alcohol was the most harmful drug overall with a score of 72, followed by heroin at 55 and crack cocaine at 54." (See above)

I have been around my share of potheads and I have never known any of them to become violent or out-of-control. Alcohol, on the other hand, is quite the opposite and is considered one of the most harmful of all drugs, including heroin and crack cocaine.
  • Jay Theyme Chokmah 2012/04/20 22:50:05
    Jay Theyme
    Why are you discussing Alcohol with me? Or crack cocaine? And when have you ever seen anyone high on heroin being violent or out-of-control anyways?

We were talking about weed and people getting really high and how they may be reacting to and dealing with that.

You don't seem to disagree with much of what I said here?
    Against
    +2
    Try working with or supervising someone 'under the influence' (of anything) and you'll know why I am against substance abuse in the first place .. (then add on top of this more on the road endangering the lives of others .. all in pursuit of that next high). It is bad enough when I want to enjoy a course at the local College .. and some young one comes in completely buzzed/zoned .. and disrupts what is a fun learning experience with antics and wastes the rest of the class time trying to deal with the problems and its lack of ability to concentrate and do anything at all (other than be idiotic).
  • SoD sglmom 2012/04/20 15:35:07
    SoD
    +3
    Being for the legallization of marijuana is not the equivlaent of being for substance abuse.

2014/04/19 14:58:03