It's 4/20 Today: Are You For or Against the Legalization of Marijuana?

The Big Question 2012/04/20 08:00:00
Related Topics: Marijuana

• sundance 2012/04/20 08:49:20
    For
    sundance
    +22
    Yes, I am for the legalization of Marijuana. Now, a lot of you will ask why. Well, for starters, I am completely against the idea of a hundred thousand plus people in prison over a plant that any moron can grow in his back yard. I am real tired of paying their bills, and supporting a system that precipitates this kind of non-sense. I am for legalizing Marijuana, because it does have (proven, regardless of what he FDA says) incredible medicinal qualities. I am also for the legalization on a more pragmatic front. Legalize marijuana, and you starve a major artery of illicit activity, all based on (and supported by) illicit Marijuana profits (remember the hundred thousand in prison?). I am also in support of legalization, simply because I am tired of seeing the smoke and mirrors show, that is the drug war. Its a plant. It cannot kill you, nor can you die from it. Can the same thing be honestly said for "any other drug" you can think of? The list of killers would include alcohol, prescription drugs (abused more than any other type of drug, by the way), Heroin, cocaine, Meth etc etc. Wake up folks, and realize that its a plant. You can cook with and season food with it. One of its native cousins makes some of the best rope and clothing (Hemp) on earth. Marijuana relieves the sufferi...
    Yes, I am for the legalization of Marijuana. Now, a lot of you will ask why. Well, for starters, I am completely against the idea of a hundred thousand plus people in prison over a plant that any moron can grow in his back yard. I am real tired of paying their bills, and supporting a system that precipitates this kind of non-sense. I am for legalizing Marijuana, because it does have (proven, regardless of what he FDA says) incredible medicinal qualities. I am also for the legalization on a more pragmatic front. Legalize marijuana, and you starve a major artery of illicit activity, all based on (and supported by) illicit Marijuana profits (remember the hundred thousand in prison?). I am also in support of legalization, simply because I am tired of seeing the smoke and mirrors show, that is the drug war. Its a plant. It cannot kill you, nor can you die from it. Can the same thing be honestly said for "any other drug" you can think of? The list of killers would include alcohol, prescription drugs (abused more than any other type of drug, by the way), Heroin, cocaine, Meth etc etc. Wake up folks, and realize that its a plant. You can cook with and season food with it. One of its native cousins makes some of the best rope and clothing (Hemp) on earth. Marijuana relieves the suffering of millions. Calms the urge to barf your guts out when treated with Chemo drugs. Marijuana has been found to have more medicinal uses than I care to type. Oh, did I mention that it grows wild in nearly every climate on Earth? One more time, for those in the cheap seats... Its a plant folks...Just a thought....

• TheNigh... running... 2012/04/21 20:34:23 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    Because we share the air. You have the right to smoke in your house, not in every house that's down-wind of your house. As long as you keep your air to yourself, you can smoke wherever you want.
  • running... TheNigh... 2012/04/22 03:18:39
    runningintriangles
    You know full well that's not only unreasonable, but impossible. -_-''

Use your brain, mate.
  • TheNigh... running... 2012/04/22 05:19:57 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    How do you think submarines and space stations work?
  • running... TheNigh... 2012/04/24 14:44:49
    runningintriangles
    Do you have any idea how expensive that would be? That alone makes it impossible.
  • TheNigh... running... 2012/04/24 19:00:23 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    I'm not saying you have to build a submarine or space station. Just seal your house up and filter your air before you let it out. Or get some kind of smoking chamber. You could use it in apartments and hotels. An even cheaper alternative would be a reverse gas mask. I just don't believe that a drug habit is an excuse to f*** up the air.
  • Nai M. 2012/04/20 20:18:52
    For
    Nai M.
    +3
    Why was it made illegal in the first place?
  • TheNigh... Nai M. 2012/04/20 21:17:46 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    +2
    Racism and superstition.
  • Roy Nai M. 2012/04/21 16:52:19
    Roy
    Easy, just use your Google or whatever search engine you use for the answer to that question, but I;ll give you a hint; $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • John Ga... Nai M. 2012/04/22 02:04:51
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    eleven men behind closed doors
    http://webstation19.8k.com/ar...
  • Your Favorite Nerd 2012/04/20 20:12:04
    For
    Your Favorite Nerd
    +1
    GO WEED! Happy 420 everyone :D
  • JoeKnows 2012/04/20 20:06:51 (edited)
    For
    JoeKnows
    +2
    Wait a second! Marijuana isn't legal!?!?

*Butt.Butt.Butt*

Hold on a second! Who the hell cares?

*Flick.Flick.Flick*

*Toot.Toot.Toot*

*Holds Breath*

*Slowly exhales while saying, "I sure the hell don't" ... "cough, cough!"*
  • sockpuppet 2012/04/20 20:03:27
    For
    sockpuppet
    +2
    It's stupid to make this sort of thing illegal in the first place. Legalization would also solve a LOT of problems for the cops, courts and corrections.
  • Sin 2012/04/20 20:02:54
    Against
    Sin
    With the way people act and talk about it, you would think it controls their whole lives. The only reason most people do it is because they want to feel accepted. If you use it so much, that you give the description of what seems like it takes place over everything else, you shouldn't even be smoking a cigarrette. 80% of people make marijuana out to be some kind of god given gift. Like Jesus, himself, knocked on their door and asked them to smoke it. But when they're confronted about it, or the topic comes up in a serious instance, they flip sides and say "Oh, I only do it to ease my back pains." or some other lame excuse. We don't need a world full of perfectly capable people being vegetables and just staring at walls.

People will find a way to smoe it anyway, so it really doesn't matter.
  • ☠ Live ... Sin 2012/04/20 20:14:07 (edited)
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +6
    "We don't need a world full of perfectly capable people being vegetables and just staring at walls."

Then outlaw television, video games, Ritalin, Prozac, fluoride and artificial sweeteners. Can't be hypocritical now!
  • Jazmin ... ☠ Live ... 2012/04/20 20:30:38
    Jazmin Flores
    +1
    Very true!!!!
  • Shawee ☠ Live ... 2012/04/21 02:52:52
    Shawee
    +2
    Can't forget facebook, now thats becoming a waste of time lol
  • ☠ Live ... Shawee 2012/04/21 02:58:00
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +1
    And Twitter! I swear, it's just Facebook on steroids. :P
  • Sin ☠ Live ... 2012/04/21 22:09:55
    Sin
    Not being hypocritical at all. A television network and video games require you to stare at the television. Not a wall.
  • ☠ Live ... Sin 2012/04/21 22:20:48
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    Like that's any better.
  • Sin ☠ Live ... 2012/04/21 22:29:48
    Sin
    I'd rather have a decent reason to stare at something, like watching tv, instead of putting a piece of grass in my mouth.
  • ☠ Live ... Sin 2012/04/21 22:33:51
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    You're missing the point! Your case against marijuana being legal is that it makes you stupid. Well, so does television, playing videogames, taking psychotic drugs and the proven neurotixin, fluoride. Why not outlaw them, as well?
  • Sin ☠ Live ... 2012/04/24 18:33:08
    Sin
    Never said it makes you stupid. I'm hinting that it makes people too unresponsive. Never getting anything done is stupid in itself.
  • Jazmin ... Sin 2012/04/20 20:30:07
    Jazmin Flores
    +2
    Marijuana was created by God, now that you mention him, and humans were created in a way that we could make our own educated decisions. True! a lot of people just "smoke weed" to fit-in and they have no idea what marijuana really is. If everyone would act with responsibility we would not have stoned idiots or drunk drivers killing inocent people, think before you act allways.
  • Sin Jazmin ... 2012/04/21 22:18:55
    Sin
    Too bad most parents don't even care what their kids do anymore.
  • Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦ 2012/04/20 20:00:37 (edited)
    For
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    +5
    People have to make their own choices. When you take it away "for their own good", it is no longer freedom.

Marijuana causes cancer. Yes, it is carcinogenic. But it is neither something you can overdose on, nor something that makes someone turn radically violent. In which case, it is safer than alcohol (which can be overdosed and can cause a person to become violent, but conversely does not cause health problems if taken in moderation.) With this in mind, I'd say it stand about even with the drugs that currently ARE legalized.

We need to stop catering to fear-mongering and myths about drugs. "Just Say No" no longer works. It is not acceptable. People need to make educated, informed decisions.

What the law SHOULD do, however, is restrict people from driving while high. I don't care how safe a driver you think you are, or how well you say you drive while using weed; it still puts people at risk. If you want to hit it up, by all means, do so; but don't risk changing your reaction-response time while driving. Don't operate heavy machinery while high. That's it, really.

I personally would never touch marijuana. But just as I make a choice not to do it, others should have the chance to make that choice in the first place rather than having it made for them.

Additionally, I am entirely si...

Additionally, I am entirely sick of people being put in jail for it. For possession, for use, whatever. These people don't belong in jail. Jail isn't for people who want to have a little fun or feel good-- it's for people who commit real crimes. Like breaking and entering. Murder. Manslaughter. Embezzlement. Kidnap. Selling drugs to children. Rape. Sexual exploitation. Child Molestation. Those people belong in jail.

Marijuana users don't.
  • Sexuallobster 2012/04/20 20:00:22
    For
    Sexuallobster
    +1
    I wish there was an 'other' option.

I wish it were decriminalized, not legalized.
  • Seeker of Truth - War Wizard 2012/04/20 19:57:06
    For
    Seeker of Truth - War Wizard
    +2
    So long as it was regulated similarly to alcohol and cigarettes... Meaning you'd have to be of legal drinking age to smoke it, and could not smoke it in places where you can't smoke tobacco, can't drive while under the influence, etc... Also need to allow employers to randomly test people for having it in their system while at work.
  • moiraregis 2012/04/20 19:53:31
    For
    moiraregis
    +1
    we're just making a bunch of violent, ruthless criminals rich on something demonized in middle of the 20th century by the creators of dacron, who wanted to stomp out the hemp industry. pot does a lot less harm than booze or oxycontin or cigarettes do, and they're all legal, two of them over the counter. if i were president, i'd not only legalize it, i'd make it a new strictly American industry. We could grow it indoors in blighted places like the Rust Belt, upstate New York, Detroit, etc. and outdoors in the states that now grow tobacco--and we could guarantee to make the best pot grown on the face of the earth. then instead of more stupid casinos, we could open up quite a nice tourist trade centered around marijuana cafes. folks, we need the money bad, and this would be a dandy way to make it.
    it's time to stop listening to priggish fools about this; they, as usual, have no idea what they're talking about.
  • Griegg 2012/04/20 19:51:39
    For
    Griegg
    +2
    It never should have been made illegal.
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/04/20 19:46:01
    For
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +5
    When I saw how many people voted yes... some faith in humanity was restored.
    legalize marijuana
    legalize marijuana
  • Tiffany ☠ Live ... 2012/04/20 21:54:58
    Tiffany
    +1
    And beautiful handmade jewelry too!
  • ☠ Live ... Tiffany 2012/04/20 22:00:59
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    Definately.
    Hemp jewelry
  • Næthan Æterna 2012/04/20 19:45:13
    For
    Næthan Æterna
    +3
    I am so happy with these results! Most people realize that the war on drugs/prohibition just isn't working. It's only succeeding in more bureaucracy and more innocent pot smokers thrown in jail, third offense is for LIFE! That's more than a MURDERER often gets!

People understand that pot is everywhere already, it's in every neighborhood and the weight of that revelation on the authorities trying to eradicate it should be looked upon heavily as impossible.

Pot is a 12-17 billion dollar industry and can make more than 25,000 products and by-products out of hemp. DID YOU KNOW THE U.S. CONSTITUTION WAS WRITTEN ON HEMP PAPER?

If we legalize it, we free up innocent people sent to jail to put more of the real bad guys in, we add revenue to our country, we can tax it, and we can regulate it just like cigs and beer...

Pot is only a gateway drug because it is illegal. People who sell pot are more prone to selling other illegal drugs. If pot was legal, you'd be able to buy it in stores, meaning you wouldn't be anywhere around the hard illegal drugs in the first place.

It's non-addictive, it's not cancerous as people would have you believe, and it is not harmful to your brain cells any more than anything else is. It is medicinal, and can be used to treat a whole laundry list of ailme...

It's non-addictive, it's not cancerous as people would have you believe, and it is not harmful to your brain cells any more than anything else is. It is medicinal, and can be used to treat a whole laundry list of ailments and even our own FDA is extracting THC to put into a pill form to sell it to you. They don't want it legalized! Why? If you grow a plant, and you take care of that plant, that plant is yours for as long as it lives at no cost to you. They want to patent it, and sell it to you for obscene amounts of money.

Once again: I am trying happy in these poll results. Means what I just ranted on about, most of us know. We are waking up, and we will make our future right.
  • Axe Grinder 2012/04/20 19:42:36
    For
    Axe Grinder
    +1
    I don't know who sounds crazier...those OBSESSED with smoking this stuff, or those OBSESSED with trying to stop them ?!?!?
  • MissJo 2012/04/20 19:40:05
    For
    MissJo
    +1
    There are way more reasons for it to be legalized than not, besides... the only reason why it became illegal in the first place was because of racism, yellow journalism and greedy politicians who refused to listen to and even belittled the American Health Association when it spoke out against.

http://www.drugwarrant.com/ar...
  • unaff 2012/04/20 19:36:18
    For
    unaff
    +1
    Certainly 'For'. The amount of resources we spend to prohibit a plant causing no more deleterious effects than alcohol is ghastly.
  • Kurbdog 2012/04/20 19:34:20
    For
    Kurbdog
    +5
    Either outlaw alcohol (we all know how well THAT worked) or legalize weed ! Don't be a hypocrite. legalize
  • Jack the Dude 2012/04/20 19:30:18
  • BRIDGET 2012/04/20 19:23:46
    For
    BRIDGET
    +2
    LEGALIZE IT FFS! IT'S LIKE THE FAILED ATTEMPT OF PROHABITION-MAKING IT ILLEGAL JUST ENHANCES PEOPLES DESIRE FOR IT!
  • Merry 2012/04/20 19:22:50
    For
    Merry
    +2
    It's gross and terrible for you, but people are idiots and will do it anyway... so we might as well legalize it and tax it. Use the money to fund NASA or something.

2014/11/28 09:53:41