Is/Was Organized Religion Used as a Tool to Control People?

KKP 2011/01/13 00:58:27
Related Topics: Religion, Tool
Yes, and here's why:
No, and here's why:
Other...

• Arya 2011/01/13 02:59:50
    Yes, and here's why:
    Arya
    +5
    Look at history, it tells the true tale. The Catholic Church was more powerful than kings in Europe for many, many years.

• Curmudgeon darwolf 2011/01/15 20:46:44
    Curmudgeon
    What people often overlook with China is Chinese communism is nothing more than a political religion whereby people follow the whims of the party elite or face death, imprisonment with no chance of parole, or even vanish from their homes overnight.

So yes there is no god(s) at the head of the country per say, but the people in power there "believe" they're version of the facts on how things should be done very feverishly.
  • Demon Dolphin 2011/01/13 05:37:05
    Yes, and here's why:
    Demon Dolphin
    +3
    Many aspects of the major abrahamic religions are perfectly designed to

1. Get people to convert
    2. Get them to STAY converted
    3. Convert as many followers as possible
    4. Obey the higher leaders without question
  • Lady Wh... Demon D... 2011/01/13 09:56:50
    +3
    spot on!
  • KKP Demon D... 2011/01/13 17:22:01
    KKP
    +1
    You nailed it, especially with number 4.
  • Eddie_DOMA_is_dead 2011/01/13 05:10:43
  • Usti Wa... Eddie_D... 2011/01/13 09:26:20
    Usti Waya BN-0
    +2
    clapping dragon
    Great post, eddie, you have our full attention and respect dear friend!
  • Eddie_D... Usti Wa... 2011/01/13 15:55:19
  • hazel Eddie_D... 2011/01/17 08:26:24
    hazel
    I dont have to be connected to a religion to have a relationship with God and jesus
  • Eddie_D... hazel 2011/01/17 15:18:53
  • Queen of Darkness 2011/01/13 04:42:06
    Yes, and here's why:
    Queen of Darkness
    +3
    I belive all christian, catholic, anglican, namely all "god" related religions are designed to control people. Yes governments control people too, as well as some household members do, like husbands, wives, children, siblings, etc. These type of control can be very subtle and often go unnoticed for what they really are for quite some time.

These are people of a controlling nature that get into powerful positions and abuse and mis-use that power. Religion is an extremely powerful tool because most people are very gullible and believe everything you promise them - without any physical proof that it is actually real.

They simply beleive there is a heaven, a hell, a god, a devil, a place of rewards and punishments, without having any concrete proof. Without concrete evidence it is nothing more than a fairytale. That way they don't have to take responsibilty for their lives or the lives they create in some way... after all, they believe "god" will take care of things because people prefer to think of themselves as "weak" and "not responsible" for themselves... "god" will "forgive" their short-comings. Maybe "god" will "forgive" you - but if you harm me... Will I "forgive" you? Hmmm ... possibly not - but then again, it depends.

Christianity IS a religion - it is named after "Christ" he was suposedly a religious figure
  • mustangluver 2011/01/13 04:38:52
    Yes, and here's why:
    mustangluver
    +3
    Religion is the biggest, most successful scam ever! Religion was created to mind control and instill fear...beware the Illuminati..LOL..hey, yes, maybe that Tuscon nut was possessed by demons..he needs an Exorcism..
    Yes, and here's why:
    +4
    All religions are used to control people. Look around you and note the failed religions people cling to because their parents.
    Please note: Chjristianity is not a Religion. It is not as ridgely organized. Tnere is a Bible called "Recepticus" and there is a Bible (Vatacanus) that has been changed and turned into Liberation Theology. Which means Jesus has been traded for Karl Marx with a Jesus costume.. The Pope is gonna have trouble with this one.
  • 8mariedawn6 2011/01/13 03:17:10
    Other...
    8mariedawn6
    +1
    Man dose many things in the name of religion.The fact is that God gave every one the freedom of choice to do what he will.
  • ghostrider 8maried... 2011/01/13 05:08:22
    ghostrider
    +1
    ... and which "god" would that be?
  • 8maried... ghostrider 2011/01/13 16:35:07 (edited)
    8mariedawn6
    There is only The Father the Son and the holy Ghost. The rest are fiction! father son holy ghost rest fiction father the son and holy ghost
  • KKP 8maried... 2011/01/13 17:23:19
    KKP
    +1
    Why couldn't they also be fiction? Seems to me that they too have a traceable origin and thus a beginning of conception AFTER mankind was here.
  • 8maried... KKP 2011/01/14 00:04:59
    8mariedawn6
    +1
    I have seen to many miracles in my life time there is know way I could ever belive that .I know the real Lord is there.
  • KKP 8maried... 2011/01/14 00:20:38
    KKP
    +1
    What kind of miracles? I'm curious.
  • 8maried... KKP 2011/01/14 00:36:27
    8mariedawn6
    Ok I will give you one.When I was about 10 years old I was mest up in the dark side I was scared out of my wits.I herd them they have the worse laugh you will ever hear.I saw eyes that where pure evil I had things appear.I had my Bible that I had just got from a preacher that i had been talking to because I was trying to get help with all this.I saw that Bible riped to shreds with strips just like claws. I saw Black demons and one real big one stand directly in front of me.I was terrified to know end.All I could think about at the time was Jesus Christ and what I had learned.So with tear filled eyes Closed my eyes and started to pray for his help I apologize for all I had done.After a few minutes I realized the room was quiet and a peace came over me.I opened my tear filled eyes and the room was empty all that was there was a big cross made out of the moon light on my wall.I was not afraid any more.I looked around the room trying to figure out how the light made the cross but there was no explanation for it.I knew then I had been saved.This is one of them I have seen many threw my life and I am 40 years old.!
  • ghostrider 8maried... 2011/01/14 03:49:25
    ghostrider
    +1
    Hmmm ... try telling -- no, convincing -- that to those of the Jewish and/or Muslim faith(s). Those two, along with Christianity have a common "root", yet are so vastly different. But, as I've said in other threads here, it seems to me that man(kind) invents or "creates" gods, not vice versa. The Egyptians, Greeks, Romans and the Norsemen all had their "gods" who were as "real" to them as is Jesus to Christians today and, just as with all the preceding 'gods', no one -- again -- no one has been able to present an iota or ounce of empirical proof of their existence, ever. Religion also is such a divisive force among man -- that's why I avoid it like the plague.
  • 8maried... ghostrider 2011/01/14 14:23:54
    8mariedawn6
    That is your choice.However I no better!Good day!
  • The Albertan 2011/01/13 03:04:17
    Yes, and here's why:
    The Albertan
    +2
    two words, anglican church.
  • Arya 2011/01/13 02:59:50
    Yes, and here's why:
    Arya
    +5
  • mustang... Arya 2011/01/13 04:40:46
    mustangluver
    +4
    Yes and probably the richest too, just as the Vatican is today..
  • Arya mustang... 2011/01/13 05:04:35
    Arya
    +3
    Exactly.
  • Eddie_D... Arya 2011/01/13 05:08:37
  • Lady Wh... Arya 2011/01/13 09:58:06
  • Arya Lady Wh... 2011/01/13 16:14:11
    Arya
    +2
    The way the Catholic Church systematically erased all of the old religions disgusts me. The murders, the tortures, the replacements of Pagan holidays with Christian..they did it all to control the people.
  • Lady Wh... Arya 2011/01/13 20:01:50
    +1
    SO well said
  • KKP Arya 2011/01/13 17:24:09
    KKP
    +1
    Very good point. I only recently discovered the truth in your words about a week ago, while looking into the background information of Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan. It seems as if only the divine were truly fit to lead.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2011/01/13 02:02:47
    Other...
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    I believe When man invented Religion as a way to explain the things he couldnt explain at the time thousands of years ago
    why did the sun warm the earth the sun is gods warmth and love etc
    which is why there are dozens of differant religions for everyone has a differant view point on god and religion

then someone saw the influence Religion had on people
    and some not all used this influence to control people
    Tell them where to live what they could eat or not eat
    who they could marry what to wear
    what to do with thier time money as a way to control the weak minded

Things have gotten better Religion at one time was responsible for a lot of misery and horror in the world

its just sheer irony the very thing we use to explain the forces of good is used for so much evil haterd prejustice in the world

we humans think we are the superior species on this planet
    yet we do things that just baffle logic and intelligence
    we kill over race color of skin we kill and enslave our own kind
    we hate we breed hatred over centuries
    prejustice and so much more

this influence does control people to a certain extend and most Bible thumpers
    Good Example is The muslim Fantatics or westboro baptist church
    have the power to control people and make them do things we dare not do and
    that power is terrorifying
  • Daniel 2011/01/13 01:46:21
    Other...
    Daniel
    +1
    Laws are made to control people.
  • KKP Daniel 2011/01/13 02:04:55
    KKP
    +2
    They are also made to protect people from other people.
  • Daniel KKP 2011/01/13 02:16:02
    Daniel
    Kind of like the Laws of the Bible. Many are healthy practices.
  • wandering mystery aka Relch... 2011/01/13 01:14:32
    Yes, and here's why:
    wandering mystery aka Relcho of Anid
  • mustang... wanderi... 2011/01/13 04:44:33
  • Blessed Sheep Gone Wild! 2011/01/13 01:12:15
    Yes, and here's why:
    Blessed Sheep Gone Wild!
    +4
    If you are going to do something that the general public would frown upon, say it is the will of God and suddenly everyone is for it and those who aren't affected by the BS are commies, satanist, liberals, or what ever in fashion term is being used to vilify someone. The invisible man that is able to see things you are not capable of understanding always wins out over the rational speaking realist. You can promise outrageous fortunes such as 70 something virgins, your own planet, a perfect body, and be reunited with loved ones. Who wouldn't submit to this?
  • Kira 2011/01/13 01:06:01
    No, and here's why:
    Kira
    +2
    I grew up in the USSR. I am Catholic now.

The USSR tried to control people. Catholicism does not. (And the USSR was a country, not a religion. In fact, it did not allow religion legally.)

"To control" and "to guide" are different. Catholicism guides. Not controls.
  • KKP Kira 2011/01/13 01:07:50
    KKP
    +4
    The Catholic Church was much more than a guide throughout the Middle Ages and for quite some time afterwards. The Pope could demand troops from Catholic monarchs and they were absolutely obliged to follow his orders, so great was his authority.

Times have changed, obviously, so I agree with your point so long as we apply it in the 20th century and beyond.
  • Kira KKP 2011/01/13 01:12:43
    Kira
    +1
    I think so!

2014/11/24 21:38:01