Isn't an annulment a euphemism for a divorce? If a man and wife have their marriage terminated (even if it is judged that it should never have taken place from the beginning), the separation with the right to marry again is still a divorce?

MidnightCowboy 2012/06/23 04:52:10

• Jeff Vader 2012/06/23 11:53:18 (edited)
    Jeff Vader
    +3
    An annulment differs in one important respect from a divorce, that is if a marriage is declared null and void as in an annulment, there is said to have been no marriage contract. So dealing with each parties right to property and shared income does not apply, as it would be as if the marriage never occurred.

On a point of history Henry VIII did actually have three of his six marriages annulled. He still had two of them executed, and the third is suspected of being poisoned on his orders.

• middlesex1957 2012/06/26 01:27:08
    If Henry VIII was given an annulment, there would not have been the Church of...
    middlesex1957
    An annunlment is not the same thing as a divorce. An annulment rules that the marriage was a mistake and invalid from the beginning, as in the case of when a spouce comes to realize he/she is not heterosexual. That isn't the same thing as a valid, good marriage with no reason why it shouldn't have happened just being scrapped. It's not the same as a good marriage going sour and abusive either. Annulments are only for terminations of marriages that never should have happened in the first place and there is no reasonable expectation that the parties ever can fulfill it.
  • Eric Michael Black 2012/06/25 17:21:03
    Eric Michael Black
    Who Cares?
  • John Hall 2012/06/25 12:27:43
    The term "annulment" is just a polite way of classifying a divorce.
    John Hall
    annulments are a joke and a waist of time and money .
  • tweet_tweet 2012/06/25 10:51:58
    tweet_tweet
    Getting a three day marriage annulled is way less hectic than getting a divorce after years marriage. No alimony, child support, and all that jazz if it's just an annulment.
  • Pat 2012/06/25 06:14:23
    True! A rose is a rose is a rose.
    +1
    I was married in the Catholic Church and divorced about a year later. Then I met my current husband and, because I had been divorced, we had to marry in the Lutheran Church which was fine at the time. Then as children came along, I wanted them baptized Catholic. That was no problem so that wasn't why I decided to go through the annulment process. I went through the annulment process in the Catholic Church so that I could give the children a religious foundation. My husband was Lutheran and he converted to Catholicism after my annulment went through. And we were remarried in the Catholic Church.
    Looking back, it was a huge waste of time, money, energy, emotion because now I am an Atheist. I think that perhaps I (and my family) had to go through all of this to get to where we are today. I'm looking into Paganism now and I find it very interesting and appealing so I may end up there at some point. I find that I do miss the sense of community that comes to belonging to a group which shares your beliefs. So we'll see what happens.
  • DFA 2012/06/25 00:21:32
    DFA
    I think it's funny that people actually PAY the church to OKAY their divorces. Sad.
  • pops 2012/06/24 01:28:17
    pops
    An annulment means there was no proper marriage,after a annulment the same party can get married.
  • ehrhornp 2012/06/23 22:30:16
    ehrhornp
    Actually an answer that I could agree with was not listed. An annulment basically says the marriage never existed. So the people can go on and marry someone else. Marrying someone after a divorce can be adultery according to some.
  • Marianne 2012/06/23 21:04:20
    Marianne
    The annulment differs from the divorce - it is by far worse than divorce. In case of divorce, it is recognised that the marriage existed, and it is cancelling the duties and responsibilities of a legal union and dissolving the bonds of matrimony, the rights of the divorcing partners are usually granted. It is admitted that the marriage existed. If it is an annulment, a voidable marriage is declared null (sometimes by authorities or church) and considered to have never existed (void ab initio, i.e. void from the beginning on), sometimes however a marriage may be void only from the annulment on, according to different cases and countries (like an invalid contract in trade). A legal declaration of nullity is required. I hope that this explanation is not too complicated. The legislation differs, of course, from one country to the other and according to religion, especially when children are involved.
    These are only the most important, generalised elements. More details should be collected separately, according to the different countries, religions and traditions, and also in history.
  • zebsmom 2012/06/23 19:02:39
    zebsmom
    I'm only saying undecided because the correct answer isn't up there. A divorce means a legal and binding marriage is ending. An annulment means that the marriage didn't exist in the first place-that the "contract" wasn't legal and binding" [ie-see above where the judge said it never should have happened in the first place]. You can't terminate something that never existed. No matter how long it lasted.
    So. They're actually totally different things.
  • Vijay Pawar 2012/06/23 17:27:02
    Vijay Pawar
    If things can be decided between both why go to court?
  • superangrymonkey 2012/06/23 14:54:57
    superangrymonkey
    Divorce is originally designed to be a term for an annulment of marriage that the church did NOT sponsor. Since marriage is primarily a religious institution I think a separation of terms still has validity.
  • Mandy 2012/06/23 13:34:57
    Mandy
    +1
    And it's also a way for the Catholic church to make more money off of religious suckers.
  • Andy Fletcher 2012/06/23 13:09:43
    Andy Fletcher
    You have to distinguish whether you are talking government or within the church. My mom caught my father in bed with another woman and the church told her to suck it up and deal with it, forgive and forget, and when she just went ahead and got the divorce, they kicked her out of the parish.
  • tweet_t... Andy Fl... 2012/06/25 10:51:00
    Jeff Vader
    +3

• beach bum 2012/06/23 11:02:52
    True! A rose is a rose is a rose.
    beach bum
  • KingdomNow 2012/06/23 08:40:01
    KingdomNow
    +2
    A divorce decree creates certain legal and financial obligations between the parties, such as the obligation to pay child support, spousal support, or a portion of the martial debt.

An annulment on the other hand, declares that the parties do not, and never did, have a legal relationship or obligation to each other. Because, in the eyes of the law, a valid marriage never took place, the parties have no more right to each others’ property than any two strangers on the street.

In addition to avoiding ongoing financial and property obligations to the other party, many parties seek an annulment because of religious or moral objections to divorce, because one party was forced into a marriage against his or her will, or in order to be allowed to remarry within their religion.
  • Kaleokualoha 2012/06/23 06:46:15
    Kaleokualoha
    +1
    If a marriage was never consummated, an annulment is appropriate.

2014/12/20 17:57:32